RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,001 to 23,020 of 37,320 messages
19/11/2012 at 16:46

And yes come on Cooks!  We have a very short attention span on here and demand reports on the day or second day otherwise its yesterdays news!  Although he is in a foreign country so we could allow him an extra day or two.

19/11/2012 at 17:10

Chick - 4 x 10km sounds best

19/11/2012 at 17:29

Minni - Rest up and it'll go before you know it!

I'm sure that Mark D was a regular on the MK Marathon forum this Spring and ran Brighton, London and Milton Keynes in successive weeks... and if memory serves me correctly, got quicker every week!!!!!!!!

19/11/2012 at 18:13
Ant - brilliant result
19/11/2012 at 18:21
Forever- fantastic sub 3.15. Set a target for all here.
Oomp - I thought you had a fast history. That injury has really set you back. Stick with the recovery . A lot of runners do VLM in an alter ego. At least you didn't use a false number as some do
Ant - brilliant HM time. That's significant progress and translates into an interesting marathon time. Great stuff - looking forward to the report
Back from Brum and hope to do a treadmill run later.- it may not happen though
19/11/2012 at 18:29
Right chaps I need a good running book to read while I'm ill. I want something to motivate me and give me hope. Suggestions please...
M.r Zuvai    pirate
19/11/2012 at 20:14
Oompa wrote (see)

Minni - Rest up and it'll go before you know it!

I'm sure that Mark D was a regular on the MK Marathon forum this Spring and ran Brighton, London and Milton Keynes in successive weeks... and if memory serves me correctly, got quicker every week!!!!!!!!

yeah, he did go qucker eack week - nutter!

was nice to meet him at the start - even if it was in end of the world weather conditions

19/11/2012 at 20:16

Ant, great time, I hope you treated yourself to extra roasties.

Congrats to Cooks on an excellent PB, and belated congrats on the mini Cookster. Now where is that report?

Hope you're feeling better Minni. I've been in bed the past couple of days but had a nice rejuvenating 6 miler tonight. Sometimes I find it really does help if I'm at the end of something mild and just need to blow the manky feeling away.

KFC that's some accidental race entering.

19/11/2012 at 20:44

Hi all - lots of racing going on again this weekend - congrats to all PBers and not-so-PBers.

So here's to my report. I had a spate of injuries over the summer, which meant that my training did not go to plan and in fact I ran a poor 10K at the beginning of September @ 46:59, so was not hopeful about beating my HM PB of 1.33 @ St Neots. But Autumn was much better and I actually racked up a decent training block including a PB in the 10K 42:59. I wanted to go for a PB at St Neots, so decided to head out at 7mm and try to get to 10 miles at 1:10 and take it from there - with 1:32 as a general target.

The weather forecast was excellent all week, so I knew it was going to be a good one - and there were around 30 from our club doing the race. First 2 miles settled in nicely at 6:55, followed by an undulating 3 miles @ 7:08. So 5 miles in I was pretty much on target, feeling comfortable and already starting to reel people in. I knew that there was a drinks station at 6.5 miles, so would take a gel there. Next 3 miles @ 6:54, which consolidated my effort. At 8.5 miles there was another drag uphill, to take me into the final 5k. Those 2 miles were an effort @ 7:09. But amazingly got to 10 miles at around 1:10 as per plan.

The idea was then to pick it up in the last three miles, which were slightly downhill and blast it. I thought, jeez, maybe 1:30 is on here, just need to push on. But however the legs were not moving fast enough and I cursed not having a second gel, even just for the mental boost. So the final 5K was done at a good pace, but not fast enough - 6:49 for that stretch, during that 5K I had to write off 1:30, and at the final turn I had to ditch 1:31 as well, as I scored 1:32:04 for a new shiny PB.

Garmin clocked that at 6:58 for the race and getting below 7mm in a half feels like some kind of barrier has been broken. The Team Minni PB chart has been duly updated

No more A races this year for me - just a load of XC and 5Ks to do. Starting the buildup to Paris marathon after a short rest. Looking forward to that already and provisionally targeting 3:23ish.

19/11/2012 at 20:57

So good Ant.  Well done.  Re your marathon target.  Your 10k and and HM are almost exactly the same as mine going into London and I ran 3:20 there.  I'm more than sure I would have got 3:18 if it hadn't been for the *ahem* toilet stop.  See how the training goes but 3:23 should be more than within your reach.

19/11/2012 at 21:01

Great report Ant - well done.

Minni - what about HOLGS's book? That's a good read.

19/11/2012 at 21:12
Minni- I've been recommended 'Run like crazy' apparently brilliant. Hope you get better soon.
Ant- great report and a great result. Many congrats again.
19/11/2012 at 21:28
I've opted for: how to get lean for peak performance. Matt Fitzgerald
19/11/2012 at 21:35

That sounds the opposite of inspiring Minni! I enjoyed Running with the Kenyans, by the guy whos name I cannot hope to spell (Axxxxxx Finn). Lots of insight into the running culture out there.

19/11/2012 at 21:54
Ant/Forever - Brilliant times by both of you, something for me to dream of.

Minni - How about 'Run less, run faster', the Furm*n book, or have you already got it?

I've come down with the lurgey, so dosed up on lemsip and night nurse. Bit of a bummer, as it's my day off and had planned a 10miler today.

Chick - Good luck in your race series.
19/11/2012 at 22:16
Minni - reread all of this years race reports..that will inspire you. If you wanted a book of fiction read Lance Armstrongs autobiography. Exactly how do they get lean? Red wine only diet?
Simon- not anther sick bed candidate. Looks like a lot of people here have low immunity after a hard years running and cycling. I've had a flu jab so hope that works.
Ant- great report. Sometimes a down hill blast leads to suffering for the few miles after .A HM is tough when you are really pushing it. At least it looks like you've put your Summer injuries behind you.
Another rest day after all.
19/11/2012 at 22:31
Forever - storming time, great run

Ant - great time, fab to be in that shape to start spring mara build up

Bad calf day today. After my successful run on Saturday, I went for a trot at lunchtime, started slow and kept pace steady, but it stiffened up towards the end and I walked the last few minutes back. Its been stiff for the rest of the day. Both legs are now doing very odd things - they feel super delicate and twangy, and I'm getting the oddest feelings, like mini spasms breaking out without warning in my calves, quads, ITB of both legs. Its like any of my muscles could decide to explode without warning!

To tell the truth, I'm totally mystified by it all. I've had sore and stiff legs before after hard races or high mileage, but I'm barely doing any training right now that would cause that. I'm going to take a full week off running, stretch loads and see how it goes.

Any other good ideas for how to deal with exploding legs?
20/11/2012 at 04:58

Ant/Forever -   Congrats to you both, great racing.

Dubai Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 05:09

Morning

Ant: Nice time Sir, your marathon target is very doable

Forever: Sneaky (9a) marathons whatever next

Minni: A Life without Limits, Chrissie Wellington, the woman is not human. Running for their lives. The Ghost runner, feet in the clouds are all good reads.

Last nights club run ended up being 12.1K in 51 mins.

Will splash at lunch and a gentle hours trot tonight. 

20/11/2012 at 06:28

That was quick DD

i'm feeling a bit better so will try running tonight 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.