RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,021 to 23,040 of 37,212 messages
20/11/2012 at 07:40

When DD talks about a trot I always imaging him holding a skipping rope like reins and pretending he's on a pony.  

Feet in the Clouds is a brilliant book that I have.  I almost picked it up yesterday but resisted - it makes me want to the BGR and I'm not ready for that yet!  A club mate is hoping to do it next year.  One of my friends is mentioned it in - she held the ladies record for a number of years.

KFC - not had the exploding legs.  What was the outcome of your illness last year when you were all out of sorts?  Could it be linked?

Thanks for the other book suggestions.

Another day off but feeling better than yesterday.

20/11/2012 at 08:16
Minni - illness last year was pretty straightforward anaemia. While I've not had my bloods redone to prove it, from my energy levels I'm pretty sure that's sorted.
20/11/2012 at 08:34

7 mile tempo run last night with a couple of big hills to get the heart rate soaring.

Wet cycle to work in the pitch black this morning

Just over 4 weeks and the days start to lengthen again

KFC:  no chance it could be mild dehydration?  The only time I've felt like that is when I have just slightly underdone the fluids over a few days

20/11/2012 at 09:26

Hope everyone is feeling better today.  Everyone seems to be sick at the moment, I would happily lock myself somewhere and not come out until the weekend. 

KFC- sorry, can't be of any halp, have never experienced anything like this.  Hope it gets sorted soon.

old4speed wrote (see)

O4S- what a wonderful thought! I must say mornings are becoming a bit of a struggle. I think I need a break.  I'm sure 5 days into it I'll be moaning and itching to get out again but at this point in time I just want to get on with the race and relax a bit.

The last run into work done this morning. 8.5m with 3m @ MP.  The MP miles didn't feel particularily easy (again) but then I ran them quite a bit faster than I'm planning to run on Sunday, around 7:35-7:40. 3m recovery planned for tomorrow and 5m easy with some strides on Friday.  And that's it.

The weather forecast for San Sebastian is around 13-15 degrees max and rain. I can definitely deal with it. No natural disasters in sight as of today.

Dubai Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 09:35
old4speed wrote (see)

Which means that its only four weeks until the sun starts heading North and sumer is on its way back
20/11/2012 at 09:39

There's something quite nice about being ill, when you start to feel a bit better.  Currently in bed with my Kindle, laptop, iPhone, notebook and pen. 

Target for today:

1)  identify my ideal race weight,

2) research whether the 5 x 20m long runs are really necessary for all considering recent marathons times run on only two or three long runs.

20/11/2012 at 10:30

The BGR looks like fun Minni. Let's do it. We can make it a Team Minni outing

20/11/2012 at 10:53
Spoons. wrote (see)

The BGR looks like fun Minni. Let's do it. We can make it a Team Minni outing

I'll hand out the flap jack for that one - not getting me doing anything that daft

Bro - Weather sounds good, rain not a problem and nice temperature. You're gonna smash it

Minni - glad you're feeling better and putting your sick day to good use. Please don't tell me I should only do two 20 milers - I love doing the long ones! But if you could let me know hte absolute optimum strategy for not leaving your best runs on the training ground that would be great  

DD - That is really quick for 12.5k

Ant - Good report - and great to do the sub 7 average for the HM

20/11/2012 at 11:06
Freemers wrote (see)

Minni - glad you're feeling better and putting your sick day to good use. Please don't tell me I should only do two 20 milers - I love doing the long ones! But if you could let me know hte absolute optimum strategy for not leaving your best runs on the training ground that would be great  

Free- lol, I'm with you.  That's the bit I enjoy most!!!

20/11/2012 at 11:18

Thanks for all your comments guys

I've just been looking at pics from Sunday and you can tell when I suddenly knew sub 3.15 was possible! First time I have done a marathon without a pace band of any kind and my Garmin wasn't tallying up with mile markers, so I really had no idea how close I was till the final stages. Thankfully being laps I knew where the finish line was.

Ant well done indeed at St Neots! It's on my list of HMs to do.

Bro very best of luck at the weekend!

You have plenty of 'hope' Minni .....for one thing you are much younger than me...

Best wishes to you and others with the lurgy or struggling with injuries

Not sure whereabouts I will be on Sunday. I may cycle to one of the villages or may stick around the showground. Will see what the weather is like.

20/11/2012 at 11:20

Yes, we enjoy them (me as much as anyone) but can some people do better in the marathon without doing so many?  Experienced marathon runners perhaps?

I didn't pb at Newcastle but ran my second fastest marathon and definitely didn't go full out (given that it hasn't taken me long to recover), Carrot ran her second fastest at Berlin, Forever just pb'd and two runners from the 3:15 thread (one male and one female) also recently pb'd, all on minimal long runs.  Food for thought.

20/11/2012 at 11:22

Minni: glad you feel better. I quite like Matt Fitzgerald as an author. Brain Training for runners is another good read. Lots of really good advice that I never follow though

Simon: get the Vick's First Defence out . Hope you can nip it in the bud.

Ant: nice report and great pacing . What's your current marathon PB?

Bro: getting excited for you now! When are you travelling?

20/11/2012 at 11:24
Minni wrote (see)

Yes, we enjoy them (me as much as anyone) but can some people do better in the marathon without doing so many?  Experienced marathon runners perhaps?

I didn't pb at Newcastle but ran my second fastest marathon and definitely didn't go full out (given that it hasn't taken me long to recover), Carrot ran her second fastest at Berlin, Forever just pb'd and two runners from the 3:15 thread (one male and one female) also recently pb'd, all on minimal long runs.  Food for thought.

indeed. Perhaps P&D are not so wrong with their training schedules that I always found being too light on long runs ??

20/11/2012 at 11:28

chickadee have you got a Spring marathon in mind?

I'm definitely having doubts about doing London now. Sunday was just a much nicer experience. I know there were hills to contend with but the lack of noise seems to suit me better.

Am thinking possibly Bungay or Milton Keynes? Thoughts on either anyone?

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 11:29
20/11/2012 at 11:31
Only 4 weeks til the days get longer...yay!

Hope all in the sick bay are improving today and also to those on the Calf Injury bench too.

Minni - hope the research is going well, when all the info is collated can we have a spreadsheet/flow chart with what we need to do...?
20/11/2012 at 11:32

Chick- flying to Bilbao on Saturday morning, then have to get a bus shuttle to San Sebastian which takes about an hour.  Back on Monday morning.  I'm trying to get away with taking a day off on Monday...

Minni- I'm very much aware that no number of long runs would allow me to improve without the speedwork (and a lot of it) thrown in. I can run long forever (well not really, but you know what I mean) and never get any faster. I wonder if  it's more important to do many LSRs for those who naturally struggle with endurance, while we should really be concentrating on speed?

20/11/2012 at 11:34

Not done either forever, but freemers knows Bungay and a few on here did MK last year.  I know what you mean about London but I can't help loving the razmataz.

Is the long run overrated?

20/11/2012 at 11:43

x-post - totally agree Brolish. Those who are speedy but struggle with endurance (mostly men I hasten to add) definitely need the long runs.  When Shaggy (RIP) moved to Moz for coaching he was doing lots of long slow runs that he didn't particularly enjoy but it paid off when he finally got under 3:30, something that had taken him years to do.

[Is that ok to still mention Shaggy in conversation?  I still think of him as part of this thread and I think he would appreciate his training being used as a good example]

20/11/2012 at 11:44

AA its taking me a long time to do all the calculations connected to ideal race weight....

Dubai Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 11:45

Well I will tell you re long runs after Dubai marathon in January as I very much doubt if I'm going to get more than two 20+ milers in given my race and social schedule. I have always been in the 4 to 5 long runs camp but with the aerobic base most of us on here have coupled with experience its possible that 2 or 3 is sufficient. Unlike previous marathon campaigns this one has been far more about speedwork than long runs so i should be able to get a good feel for the alternative approaches.

I would love to do the BGR, but would need some serious training for that one, should be right up O4S's street. 

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 11:46
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.