RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,061 to 23,080 of 37,210 messages
20/11/2012 at 14:04

Hi and welcome, DS2 . Did I understand right that you ran sub 3:15 in your previous running life?

20/11/2012 at 14:17

DS2 - fancy seeing you here   You'll find we drink more on this thread

FRC - you noticed Daren's marathon PB then? We hardly ever mention that, honest 

Mile reps done. Didn't have very long this lunchtime, so only managed 3 reps, but they were all sub 7 and felt nice. Padded it out to 5 miles in total with recoveries and w/u, c/d.

20/11/2012 at 14:22
Minni wrote (see)

Simon - it would be good to try but risky.  I want every marathon to count in my ageing years.

Give me strength!!  On the long run debate, I did my PB [3.30.54] with no speedwork and no long road runs - just a few off-road ultras .  I was 44 so a number of the ladies here should be doing PBs over the next couple of years

Count me in for BGR - I have friends who have done it, but you need to know the route inside out, or do it with someone who does, to make sure you get within the time limit.  Not ideal for dodgy knees.....................BUT I'm prepared to provide bread pudding as well as flapjack!!

20/11/2012 at 14:23

Chick - I meant to say that your plan is what I always do - a spring marathon, an end of May 100 miler and then cycling all summer with short runs to keep everything ticking over.

20/11/2012 at 14:23

BGR? oh Bob Graham. Naaa. Band jump is more for speed, build legs up, not endurance.

So Daren's a bit of slacker on the marathon front, flat track bully?

Minni, hope you're feeling better.

20/11/2012 at 14:33
old4speed wrote (see)

Chick - I meant to say that your plan is what I always do - a spring marathon, an end of May 100 miler and then cycling all summer with short runs to keep everything ticking over.

easy peasy, just need to find a suitable end of May 100miler then

Work is booooring today

20/11/2012 at 14:39

Fill your afternoon with trying to work out how many calories you need a day Chick.  I've spent the last two hours trying to do it and got so confused I needed a bacon sarnie in the middle.....

20/11/2012 at 14:41

Hi All and welcome DS2-youve come to the right place

Minni-looks like youve turned the corner and recovery is on its way.

Interesting chat about LRs for a marathon and the differeing approaches varying from the conventional to the insane(Bro). Looking at my Liverpool record excluding the last two weeks taper period I ran 10 LRs covering 193 miles in total and averaging 19.3 . The Lrs built from 17 to 22 over a 12 week period. In addition I did 16 MLRs averaging 12.75 and included in this were 6 MP runs . My LRs and MLRs differed from my training for VLM in that my last 3 LRs were at a much  faster pace but not MP especially for the last 5-6 miles of each and there were more race pace specific runs. I felt that the last month before taper was much more race pace specific generally rather than just putting in the miles as I did for VLM . Not sure what to do for VLM as I fear that pushing it by more miles and more speed will result in injury and I just dont want to go through that again. I guess cross training with swimming and cycling and spinning will have to replace some of the recovery runs etc

Simon/Minni/Spoons- The idea of doing the BGR is just that for me -dont think Im tough enough nor could I run and carry all the flapjack Id need. The book inspired me to deal with my knee injury and do a few more miles

Just swam 2k and am sneezing etc again -will this end?

20/11/2012 at 14:59

Hello everyone, I see you're all still on about the marathon PB thing

FRC, I have a whole list of excuses to explain that PB, but basically I wasn't a runner when I did my one and only marathon. I only started running because I was one of those despicable non-runners people on RW forums moan about who decided to get a charity place at VLM to tick it off the bucket list. I didn't respect it enough, never ran more than 3 times a week and I think only once topped 30 miles, also lost a month of training through ITB, then decided to go skiing the week before, flying back to Gatwick the day before the race, was ill during that week too, and then it was a pretty hot one on the day. All of this combined to produce a horrific experience, a 25-minute positive split after hitting the wall at 15 miles and probably the most painful couple of hours of my life as I slowed from 8:xx mm to 12:xx mm. I haven't run another one since!

Anyway... congratulations to you on a cracking HM PB at the weekend and cracking that 1:30 (or should I say 90?) barrier! Congrats to Ant too on an excellent PB.

Cooks, brilliant performance in the heat, and forever, wow, you really are flying - that is an absolutely awesome marathon time.

20/11/2012 at 14:59
Minni wrote (see)

Fill your afternoon with trying to work out how many calories you need a day Chick.  I've spent the last two hours trying to do it and got so confused I needed a bacon sarnie in the middle.....

no way, Minni. I know roughly how little calories I really need, despite being a runner and it's sooooo depressing . Having said that I thought I'd put on loads since the marathon but I'm still 56kg. Phew.

20/11/2012 at 15:05

I counted at least 12 excuses in there Daren.  Now that must be a pb!

I wish someone would just tell me what to eat each day so I didn't need to worry about it.  Is there such a person...

So far:  I perhaps don't eat enough calories, and definitely don't eat enough protein.

20/11/2012 at 15:16

I think it's called a dietician Minni.

20/11/2012 at 15:36

I drink too much alcohol   and eat too much crappy stuff like crisps and chocolate

20/11/2012 at 15:39

Minni - as luck would have it I had a proper medical last week at Nuffield Health, a benefit provided by my employer.  Very thorough with all sorts of tests.  Part of it was me filling in a 4 day food and drink diary beforehand so they can assess whether I am eating properly for my lifestyle. Trouble was their computer was on the blink so I haven't had the full results yet of my food diary - except that based on all the tests they ran on the day (blood pressure, ECG etc) and the amount of exercise I do being a runner they reckoned I needed 2,200 calories a day.  I definitely don't eat that amount most days, but probably make up for it in wine on average .  I was pleased they weighed me at 8 st. 13, and BMI just a shade under 20, resting heart rate 52. Apparently I am 5 ft 7 and a bit too. I always though I was 5'6!!  They had my "fitness age" about 8 years younger than my real age so I must be doing some things right 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 15:45
"Woman posts weight on Internet forum" shock. Even I weigh more than that. Good to see you're not as stumpy as you thought too, eh?
20/11/2012 at 16:04

I'll get you for that one day CD

20/11/2012 at 16:05
Lol!
20/11/2012 at 16:09

You see Minni - what sort of mentoring attitude is that  

20/11/2012 at 16:47

Shakespeare Half Marathon Report

Getting my half time down had stuck in my mind as vital for spring marathon target. Flu bug the day before the half I'd aimed at all year was so frustrating, with running & half season virtually over till 2013 and no decent races nearby. Or was there? Found a half in Stratford for £20 described as fast and flat, just over 2 hours drive & chip timed. Even found a travelodge down the road for £26. Perfect!

Course is a 5k around a speedway track & old airstrip, so 4 of those laps plus an extra out/ back to make up the 21.1k distance. Flat as a pancake? Probably flatter!  Sounded do-able, but looking at speed required, sub 6:50 mile / 4:15 km pace all around, meaning four 5kms under 21m25s. Yikes!  Have made lots of progress this year, but only got 5k time under 21 min in June. HTFU!  Pace band printed for 1:29. Grit teeth.

Conditions perfect, 8 degrees, cool, bit damp. Lots of people but mostly 5 & 10k race, not the half. Course well organised, km AND mile markers, if windy would be exposed but okay. Water or electrolyte just after the 5k mark each lap. Clock visible at end of each lap. Spot on.

First 5k, got an idea of the course lap, roughly an oval but with 3 big spikes off it, just needed to concentrate in some bits with sharp dead turns, also odd rubber surface on last 0.5k of a lap, very squeaky - but fast, maybe for bike start? On garmin, manual km splits, all under 4m20s. First 5k lap, 21:25. promising.

2nd lap, course making more sense, could run a better line. On this lap caught up to fast female runner that had been 200m ahead, also after sub 1:30, ran with her for a minute or so, but kicked on, her pace was dropping a touch, gotta run my race. Shouted to Missus that I was on target, under 42:50 for 10k.

3rd lap, early on, tight in left calf so took a painkiller. Grabbed some electrolyte, paper cups, managed to drink some but also pour a lot over Garmin. Beep beep. Watch started going a bit mad, had to take it off to dry. Managed to wipe it - with buff and under control. Only a few to pace against ahead, and catching most of them. Keeping splits under 4:17. Lap under 21:25 again. Looked at pace band, ideal 1h04 for 15k. Legs starting to ache, with illness & league races, not many recent long runs (checked after, lots of speed work and fast runs but only 2 LSRs of 12 miles+ in 6 weeks). I was bang on time, this was going to hurt, but hey, you really want it? Pain can wait. Steely focus time.

Last lap. Max effort, aiming for nothing left in tank by end. That calf was really tight, could it go or cramp? Down the last section of lap, 1:25 ish showing on watch and clock by finish line. Round again, little out & back, 1.1km to go, teeth very gritted now, this was HURT-ing, full speed, turned corner, still half km left but finish line in sight - sprint legs! Through line, watch said 1:29:29 - Yes!. I was jumping for joy. Guy in front gave funny look, 10 secs outside his best, me 6 mins plus off my PB - understood & big high five. Sooo happy. Elation-wise as good as last marathon, maybe better?

Checking after, had paced it well, course obviously helped. Each 5k lap under target & faster than the previous one (21:25, 21:22, 21:18, 21:10 mat times), with a 4min last km. Negative split, and then some! Equalled my June 10mile PB and that was flat out & collapse after then. Oh Legs are very sore but couldn't care less. All ready for 2013 now.

Splits Km Time 
1 4:14 /2 4:17 / 3 4:19/ 4 4:17/ 5 4:12/ 6 4:16/ 7 4:17/ 8 4:17/ 9 4:18/ 10 4:15/ 11 4:19
12 4:15/ 13 4:14/ 14 4:18/ 15 4:15/ 16 4:10/ 17 4:15/ 18 4:15/ 19 4:14/ 20 4:11/ 21.1 4:24

20/11/2012 at 16:49
CD - But did you notice Freemers didn't post her actual age, just 8yrs younger.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.