RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,081 to 23,100 of 37,495 messages
20/11/2012 at 16:54

Brol - Similar forecast for Florence, a bit of light rain sounds perfect, what time does the race start? Mine's at 09:15(subject to TV coverage didn't have that at Abo).

Minni -  Can't help with the 5 x 20's, previous best was off only a couple of long ones due to injury, but abo this time was off 5 long ones with 2 being 24's.  Agree with Freemers  though that it is best to do them on alternate weekends, with the inbetween weekends up to 15 but a bit pacier. Getting towards the end of the plan I like to throw in a few quicker miles on the long runs ie 3 slow 3 at MP repeat

Simon -  First Defence is no good when the cold's taken hold, need to use it if you feel any symptoms or even better if anyone close to you has the lurgy.

DS2 -  Welcome, I left the 3:15 thread(which is really a sub 3 thread)  earlier this year, I was struggling with my training,   and the advice on there is great,  but was getting wound up by one of the posters.  When is your next marathon?

FRC -  I've been sub 40 for 10k  a few times but the last time was back in  2010 so hopefully getting back to where I was then.  Anyway have I missed your HM race report?

Red -  When are you planning to restart running? I had 4 months out with PF a couple of years ago, it is hard once you restart but it's only a matter of time and taking it steady to start with.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 16:56
First rule of mentoring: never, ever, make jokes about the mentee's running. Height, other hand....
20/11/2012 at 16:57
X-post with FRC - Great race report, and well deserved Pb.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 17:00
Simon, if she's 8 years younger she needs to hand back a few V40 prizes.

That's a very nice HM there FRC.
20/11/2012 at 17:02
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
First rule of mentoring: never, ever, make jokes about the mentee's running. Height, other hand....

Or weight!

Well done FRC.

Its gonna be a great marathon weekend for you both, Barry & Brol.

20/11/2012 at 17:13

Barry- Mine starts at 9.00. I don't think we get tv coverage...

Red- sorry to hear you're struggling with your recovery. I've been to San S before and absolutely loved it.  I understand that the course is meant to be flat and avoids the hills which I do remember from my last visit. Mr B doesn't really like football so no points to score there but he has been pacified since NY and is looking forward to the weekend.

FRC- great report, great running

I've just had a look at the results from last year from San S and there were only around 100 women out of 2000 runners. Very much like in Madrid where I run my first mara (300 ladies/ 10000 runners) which resulted in rather amazing support from the crowd.  Hopefuly more of the same this time.

20/11/2012 at 17:29
I also didn't mention my body fat percentage which was a bit higher than it should be. Apart from that I think I'm perfect

FRC - great report, excellent pacing. And I see another use for the buff there...I really must get one of those things
20/11/2012 at 20:30

FRC- Great race report, I live about 20mins from where you raced, you should of let me know I could of come and supported you or even entered myself.

Good luck Barry and Brolish this weekend so looking forward to your results.

Minni- just wrote my christmas list for Father Christmas and put some of the books that have been mentioned, thanks Can anyone on here suggest a good windproof and showerproof jacket that i could run in please.

I'm sure I over eat, put it this way, with the amount of running that I do I should be stick thin but I'm not I eat far too much chocolate, alcohol, biscuits ect.

I was Shit last night in the club 1.3mile handicap run, 5 sec slower than what I ran in May! I know it's only 5 seconds but I thought I was a lot faster than in May, I must be running to many miles!!!

20/11/2012 at 20:53
Gazelle - I was looking for a showerproof jacket a couple of months ago, but for roughly the same price I found this one: Montane lite-speed h2o, about ??50 depending on size colour. But it's fully waterproof, has a hood and weighs only 160g, lightest in the world apparently.
20/11/2012 at 20:57

Cheers Simon just added it to my list

20/11/2012 at 21:00

I have found one of the above reduced from £90 to £39.97 from go outdoors, Do I buy it now or keep it on my list? Decisions, Decisions..... it's less than 120g in my size

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 21:02
20/11/2012 at 21:20
Gazelle - Get it now. As sods law it will of gone, or gone up in price when you come to buy next week/month.
20/11/2012 at 21:30
I have the Montane factory near me so have 4 or 5 jackets. All samples. they are brilliant because they are light and windproof but not all are as waterproof as they claim.
20/11/2012 at 21:44

Hi DS2

busy on here today.

Did my first run in a week tonight. 4 x mile reps at HMP as my pre-Sunday tester. It started out badly and gradually got worse.

20/11/2012 at 21:58
Spoons - You were on the sick list just a couple of days ago, so I wouldn't of expected too much.

Minni - Apart from your Montane collection, what other jackets have you got, and have you tried your xc spikes yet?
20/11/2012 at 22:09

No Simon I've been too sick....   I took the dogs for a walk this evening and that's the first day I've been out the house since Saturday.  But, back to work tomorrow and still hopeful to do a 5 mile race on Saturday.

20/11/2012 at 23:08
Spoons-yes it's hard to keep up on here today! Can't beat a run that gets worse ...the next one can only get better as long as you have
Minni- still plenty of time to get better for Saturday. So what's the secret to running lean? I see Free has a running age of 12 ,clearly starvation is the way to gofer her. I do recognise the gains that can be made by losing weight though.
Free- thought we burnt 2000 calories just living. So is 200 extra enough for the training you do? I had one of those tests this time last year and according to the DR I was as fit as a 26 year old. Not sure who he was kidding!
Bro- not long to go . When you do you fly? Have you got a target race pac e you can share with us?
Simon- hope you've booked Bro on her flight club class . Pride of place in my jacket collection is my 2009 Boston Marathon jacket. My light weight jacket is from Aldi .it gets wet even when it's not raining. ...inside too...how's that ?
Xmas- I need 2 pairs of Saucony omni 11 s for Xmas please plus something to assist my swims- I can't see the clock when doing intervals and lose count of laps. Any suggestions?
FRC- great report and outstanding result. Do you think that a race that is all flat can be more demanding physically than a rolling one as the same muscles keep getting hammered. What's next in your race list?
Barry- getting nervous yet? What pace are you looking to aim for?
DD- forget to congratulate that excellent 12k. Wondering how much a substitute for long runs your mega cycle mileage will be when you run that marathon.
10k on the TM done...looks like my calf is ok now. KFC - hope yours is too
20/11/2012 at 23:50
O4S - thanks for the hydration reminder, now making sure I'm drinking lots, if only to rule that one out.

Decided no running for at least a week. Boo.

FRC - nice report. That half time is a huge leap from breaking 21 not so long ago - you are riding the pb train!

DS2 - welcome

Minni - definitely fine to mention shaggy, with all the man flu about recently I've been reminded of him with a smile.

Chick - I don't see cycling as necessarily counterproductive to running - I think a good balance of both helps avoid injury, and I find I always perform better over long distances after a bike tour.

Long runs, hmm. I've done 2x20M once, but never more than 15M in my 6 other marathons. My weakness is fading in the last 6 miles. Pretty easy to see why...
Interesting to hear more about relative benefit of more long runs.
21/11/2012 at 07:38

KFC - you've ran 6 marathons never going over 15 miles in training?

Can I coach you? I think it would be pretty easy to get you smashing your marathon PB!

21/11/2012 at 08:19

Barry B/Spoons/KFC - thanks for the welcome! Barry - I know what you mean about how it is really a sub 3 thread but I think that's because most of the posters on there started with it as an aim and collectively they have made great strides forward. When I look on here much the same could be said.

To answer your question about my next marathon - Halstead (Essex and Suffolk Borders) in May. I have run this the last two years and it is a fantastic event - smallish (about 600 competitors) but brilliantly run. Next May will be my 10th marathon so hoping to do it justice! The last two attempts I've injured myself pretty badly doing other sports in the weeks before hand so this year I'm concentrating only on running and not taking the risk. I did get round inside 3:45 last year but hadn't run in almost 8 weeks beforehand after crashing my bike. Cycling this year is confined to the garage!

FRC - Excellent report & a fantastic performance. Quite right you should jump for joy! Everyone understands that feeling of PB'ing, especially such a big barrier and with such a huge improvement. Inspiring stuff!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.