RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,081 to 23,100 of 36,987 messages
20/11/2012 at 14:59

Hello everyone, I see you're all still on about the marathon PB thing

FRC, I have a whole list of excuses to explain that PB, but basically I wasn't a runner when I did my one and only marathon. I only started running because I was one of those despicable non-runners people on RW forums moan about who decided to get a charity place at VLM to tick it off the bucket list. I didn't respect it enough, never ran more than 3 times a week and I think only once topped 30 miles, also lost a month of training through ITB, then decided to go skiing the week before, flying back to Gatwick the day before the race, was ill during that week too, and then it was a pretty hot one on the day. All of this combined to produce a horrific experience, a 25-minute positive split after hitting the wall at 15 miles and probably the most painful couple of hours of my life as I slowed from 8:xx mm to 12:xx mm. I haven't run another one since!

Anyway... congratulations to you on a cracking HM PB at the weekend and cracking that 1:30 (or should I say 90?) barrier! Congrats to Ant too on an excellent PB.

Cooks, brilliant performance in the heat, and forever, wow, you really are flying - that is an absolutely awesome marathon time.

20/11/2012 at 14:59
Minni wrote (see)

Fill your afternoon with trying to work out how many calories you need a day Chick.  I've spent the last two hours trying to do it and got so confused I needed a bacon sarnie in the middle.....

no way, Minni. I know roughly how little calories I really need, despite being a runner and it's sooooo depressing . Having said that I thought I'd put on loads since the marathon but I'm still 56kg. Phew.

20/11/2012 at 15:05

I counted at least 12 excuses in there Daren.  Now that must be a pb!

I wish someone would just tell me what to eat each day so I didn't need to worry about it.  Is there such a person...

So far:  I perhaps don't eat enough calories, and definitely don't eat enough protein.

20/11/2012 at 15:16

I think it's called a dietician Minni.

20/11/2012 at 15:36

I drink too much alcohol   and eat too much crappy stuff like crisps and chocolate

20/11/2012 at 15:39

Minni - as luck would have it I had a proper medical last week at Nuffield Health, a benefit provided by my employer.  Very thorough with all sorts of tests.  Part of it was me filling in a 4 day food and drink diary beforehand so they can assess whether I am eating properly for my lifestyle. Trouble was their computer was on the blink so I haven't had the full results yet of my food diary - except that based on all the tests they ran on the day (blood pressure, ECG etc) and the amount of exercise I do being a runner they reckoned I needed 2,200 calories a day.  I definitely don't eat that amount most days, but probably make up for it in wine on average .  I was pleased they weighed me at 8 st. 13, and BMI just a shade under 20, resting heart rate 52. Apparently I am 5 ft 7 and a bit too. I always though I was 5'6!!  They had my "fitness age" about 8 years younger than my real age so I must be doing some things right 

Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 15:45
"Woman posts weight on Internet forum" shock. Even I weigh more than that. Good to see you're not as stumpy as you thought too, eh?
20/11/2012 at 16:04

I'll get you for that one day CD

20/11/2012 at 16:05
Lol!
20/11/2012 at 16:09

You see Minni - what sort of mentoring attitude is that  

20/11/2012 at 16:47

Shakespeare Half Marathon Report

Getting my half time down had stuck in my mind as vital for spring marathon target. Flu bug the day before the half I'd aimed at all year was so frustrating, with running & half season virtually over till 2013 and no decent races nearby. Or was there? Found a half in Stratford for £20 described as fast and flat, just over 2 hours drive & chip timed. Even found a travelodge down the road for £26. Perfect!

Course is a 5k around a speedway track & old airstrip, so 4 of those laps plus an extra out/ back to make up the 21.1k distance. Flat as a pancake? Probably flatter!  Sounded do-able, but looking at speed required, sub 6:50 mile / 4:15 km pace all around, meaning four 5kms under 21m25s. Yikes!  Have made lots of progress this year, but only got 5k time under 21 min in June. HTFU!  Pace band printed for 1:29. Grit teeth.

Conditions perfect, 8 degrees, cool, bit damp. Lots of people but mostly 5 & 10k race, not the half. Course well organised, km AND mile markers, if windy would be exposed but okay. Water or electrolyte just after the 5k mark each lap. Clock visible at end of each lap. Spot on.

First 5k, got an idea of the course lap, roughly an oval but with 3 big spikes off it, just needed to concentrate in some bits with sharp dead turns, also odd rubber surface on last 0.5k of a lap, very squeaky - but fast, maybe for bike start? On garmin, manual km splits, all under 4m20s. First 5k lap, 21:25. promising.

2nd lap, course making more sense, could run a better line. On this lap caught up to fast female runner that had been 200m ahead, also after sub 1:30, ran with her for a minute or so, but kicked on, her pace was dropping a touch, gotta run my race. Shouted to Missus that I was on target, under 42:50 for 10k.

3rd lap, early on, tight in left calf so took a painkiller. Grabbed some electrolyte, paper cups, managed to drink some but also pour a lot over Garmin. Beep beep. Watch started going a bit mad, had to take it off to dry. Managed to wipe it - with buff and under control. Only a few to pace against ahead, and catching most of them. Keeping splits under 4:17. Lap under 21:25 again. Looked at pace band, ideal 1h04 for 15k. Legs starting to ache, with illness & league races, not many recent long runs (checked after, lots of speed work and fast runs but only 2 LSRs of 12 miles+ in 6 weeks). I was bang on time, this was going to hurt, but hey, you really want it? Pain can wait. Steely focus time.

Last lap. Max effort, aiming for nothing left in tank by end. That calf was really tight, could it go or cramp? Down the last section of lap, 1:25 ish showing on watch and clock by finish line. Round again, little out & back, 1.1km to go, teeth very gritted now, this was HURT-ing, full speed, turned corner, still half km left but finish line in sight - sprint legs! Through line, watch said 1:29:29 - Yes!. I was jumping for joy. Guy in front gave funny look, 10 secs outside his best, me 6 mins plus off my PB - understood & big high five. Sooo happy. Elation-wise as good as last marathon, maybe better?

Checking after, had paced it well, course obviously helped. Each 5k lap under target & faster than the previous one (21:25, 21:22, 21:18, 21:10 mat times), with a 4min last km. Negative split, and then some! Equalled my June 10mile PB and that was flat out & collapse after then. Oh Legs are very sore but couldn't care less. All ready for 2013 now.

Splits Km Time 
1 4:14 /2 4:17 / 3 4:19/ 4 4:17/ 5 4:12/ 6 4:16/ 7 4:17/ 8 4:17/ 9 4:18/ 10 4:15/ 11 4:19
12 4:15/ 13 4:14/ 14 4:18/ 15 4:15/ 16 4:10/ 17 4:15/ 18 4:15/ 19 4:14/ 20 4:11/ 21.1 4:24

20/11/2012 at 16:49
CD - But did you notice Freemers didn't post her actual age, just 8yrs younger.
20/11/2012 at 16:54

Brol - Similar forecast for Florence, a bit of light rain sounds perfect, what time does the race start? Mine's at 09:15(subject to TV coverage didn't have that at Abo).

Minni -  Can't help with the 5 x 20's, previous best was off only a couple of long ones due to injury, but abo this time was off 5 long ones with 2 being 24's.  Agree with Freemers  though that it is best to do them on alternate weekends, with the inbetween weekends up to 15 but a bit pacier. Getting towards the end of the plan I like to throw in a few quicker miles on the long runs ie 3 slow 3 at MP repeat

Simon -  First Defence is no good when the cold's taken hold, need to use it if you feel any symptoms or even better if anyone close to you has the lurgy.

DS2 -  Welcome, I left the 3:15 thread(which is really a sub 3 thread)  earlier this year, I was struggling with my training,   and the advice on there is great,  but was getting wound up by one of the posters.  When is your next marathon?

FRC -  I've been sub 40 for 10k  a few times but the last time was back in  2010 so hopefully getting back to where I was then.  Anyway have I missed your HM race report?

Red -  When are you planning to restart running? I had 4 months out with PF a couple of years ago, it is hard once you restart but it's only a matter of time and taking it steady to start with.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 16:56
First rule of mentoring: never, ever, make jokes about the mentee's running. Height, other hand....
20/11/2012 at 16:57
X-post with FRC - Great race report, and well deserved Pb.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/11/2012 at 17:00
Simon, if she's 8 years younger she needs to hand back a few V40 prizes.

That's a very nice HM there FRC.
20/11/2012 at 17:02
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
First rule of mentoring: never, ever, make jokes about the mentee's running. Height, other hand....

Or weight!

Well done FRC.

Its gonna be a great marathon weekend for you both, Barry & Brol.

20/11/2012 at 17:13

Barry- Mine starts at 9.00. I don't think we get tv coverage...

Red- sorry to hear you're struggling with your recovery. I've been to San S before and absolutely loved it.  I understand that the course is meant to be flat and avoids the hills which I do remember from my last visit. Mr B doesn't really like football so no points to score there but he has been pacified since NY and is looking forward to the weekend.

FRC- great report, great running

I've just had a look at the results from last year from San S and there were only around 100 women out of 2000 runners. Very much like in Madrid where I run my first mara (300 ladies/ 10000 runners) which resulted in rather amazing support from the crowd.  Hopefuly more of the same this time.

20/11/2012 at 17:29
I also didn't mention my body fat percentage which was a bit higher than it should be. Apart from that I think I'm perfect

FRC - great report, excellent pacing. And I see another use for the buff there...I really must get one of those things
20/11/2012 at 20:30

FRC- Great race report, I live about 20mins from where you raced, you should of let me know I could of come and supported you or even entered myself.

Good luck Barry and Brolish this weekend so looking forward to your results.

Minni- just wrote my christmas list for Father Christmas and put some of the books that have been mentioned, thanks Can anyone on here suggest a good windproof and showerproof jacket that i could run in please.

I'm sure I over eat, put it this way, with the amount of running that I do I should be stick thin but I'm not I eat far too much chocolate, alcohol, biscuits ect.

I was Shit last night in the club 1.3mile handicap run, 5 sec slower than what I ran in May! I know it's only 5 seconds but I thought I was a lot faster than in May, I must be running to many miles!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.