RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,121 to 23,140 of 37,126 messages
21/11/2012 at 17:56
Ant - thanks for the info re soleus. Pointed me to some useful reading. As its an area I've never had problems with before I've decided I need to get to a physio to make sure I know what's up and how to sort.

Hmm, my chequered marathon long run record is exposed! OK, have a good laugh at these... (I've only picked out raced marathons)
2008: 3.49 - all on 4 milers, some 6 and one 10
2009: 4.17 (as part of an IM) - longest run 6M and didn't run for a month before the race cos I was bike touring...
2010: 3.42 - did 2 halfs, everything else was 4 or 6M
2011: 3.31 - 2x20 breakthrough! All due to joining this thread to motivate me to do long runs! In the race I got a stitch at 19M and suffered after that, but convinced without the stitch I'd have finished strong - thanks to long runs
2012: DNS, but did do a 19 and a 21 in training before I got ill

Yep, so not smart, I'm a good example of what not to do. Basically I think the reason why is because I ran my second marathon back in 2007 after doing 2 runs, total 10 miles. I knew that after that, no matter how little I trained that I was fit enough from other sports to be able to get round so I wasn't really scared of the distance any more. Its taken a while to kick that out of me...

Spoons - you can have a go if you want, but I think I've already taken most of the big chunks off my pb! Maybe 5mins is the most I'll get off it from now on.
21/11/2012 at 18:25

Wow kfc, and I thought I undertrained for my marathon! I imagine having a very high level of general fitness from other sports helps a lot but I'm still amazed you put in those times with such minimal training.

Weather forecast for Norwich on Sunday is now wet and windy  although Saturday looks ideal - lighter winds, sunny and cool - so hopefully they've got it wrong by a day! Did my last quality session this morning - a little sharpener of 2 x 800 @ HMP, 1 x 800 @ 5k pace, and 1 x 400 @ mile paces - paces were 6:29/6:26/5:53/5:01 (the 5k and mile pace bits were a bit too fast!).

21/11/2012 at 18:43
Rubbish KFC! Believe me you wanted to take a lot more time off the pb you could easily. The question is do you want it enough to put the training in...? ie a lot more long runs....

Daren - run it on Saturday instead and time it with your garmin. We always believe them

I wish it was this time last year and we were all going to be there to support you. Of course you will have Spoons and Freemers.
21/11/2012 at 18:58

Thats the question isnt it minni!  I gues the answer depends on how long I manage to retire for come the new year...  (and if I can sort this calf out - am hunting out physios right now)

21/11/2012 at 19:48

FRC -  Great report and congrats again, the pace you are running the shorter stuff don't think it'll be long before your taking more time off your HM.

2old -  Yeah getting excited for Sunday, target is, as always, 3:15.

Brol -  All the best for Sunday, go and have a great run and great time, smash 3:30.

kfc -  Very impressive  times off the training or lack of it. 

Good luck to the Norwich crew, Freemers, Spoons and Daren. Can't do much about the weather but have a good one.  Good luck to anyone else racing at the weekend.

I'm flying out tomorrow morning, I''ll try and let you know my time Sunday, but not back in UK till Tuesday evening, if you don't hear from me my number is 1432.

21/11/2012 at 19:54
Help please - how do I marry up my HRM and garmin?
21/11/2012 at 20:29

Civil partnership???

21/11/2012 at 20:33
Minni - You put your chest strap on, and then turn your garmin on, and garmin beeps to say it's synced, simples. Which garmin have you got?

DS2 - Belated welcome, and well done in getting thru to Asics bootcamp, you'll have a great time.
21/11/2012 at 20:39
old4speed wrote (see)

Civil partnership???

They'll be on 'don't tell the bride' next!

Simon - you are the Garmin God!  I have the 305 and I haven't worn the HRM strap for years.  I wonder if the battery is flat because I can't get them to connect.  I wanted to see how many calories I burned off on the turbo for an hour.

21/11/2012 at 20:55

Barry - tons of good wishes for the weekend.  You'll have a great marathon I'm sure.  Are you feeling good?  We'll be stalking....

21/11/2012 at 21:01
Barry- all the best for Sunday and have a wonderful time in Florence!
21/11/2012 at 21:21

Belated WELL DONE to Ant on your HM at the weekend, that's an excellent time 

Forever -  Nice work bagging that sub-3:15!

Cooks - that's a cracking time, nothing like a bit of chunder to show you've gave it everything  I'm terrible at running in anything over 20C.

FRC spot on pacing for that sub-1:30, nothing like smashing a massive chunk off your PB.

Bro - remember to do average lap and not average pace.  4:56kms are where it's at for 3:28.  Have you a race strategy, set off a bit slower to warm up for a few KMs? Go out at race pace and maintain it? At Berlin I had four screens on my 205 - Time (note - with 4 screens you can't see the seconds once you pass one hour, just hours and minutes), Average Lap (the most important one!), Distance (reference only, to be taken with a pinch of salt) and pace.  Press lap every KM marker. If you miss one, or forget, just press it twice at the next marker. Your average lap depends on it!  You're going to nail it, you really are

Not a clue what rhat could be kfc, sorry.  Are your legs still... exploding?

Minni I'd be interested to hear your findings, I've been puzzling over the same thing.  When I last followed P&D (for Sunderland) I didn't think there were enough 20+ runs so upped a few of the ones that were supposed to be 17/18 miles to 21 or 22. And that didn't work!  Going off how well I felt at 40km at Berlin, I could have probably ran a bit quicker from the start.  I was just too aware of how easily the wheels can fall off.  And I was a bit scared that I didn't have the endurance to even run the full thing. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!  Of course we should still mention Shaggy, I thought of him tonight and how he'd be shaking his head at my 6 mile recovery run (eeek!) followed by a (gasp!) hot bath   Hope you're feeling better.

Have a good run on Sunday Barry, enjoy the double and don't 'Do a Carrot' and bail out after 16 miles

Welcome to DS2!

21/11/2012 at 21:24
Minni - Yes you could try a new battery. Or go to settings - Ant+ - you may not have that on the 305, so then go to accessories - HR monitor - rescan. This will look for your HR strap again, also make sure were it says HR enabled, make sure that says Yes. If that doesn't work, then it's probably the battery.
21/11/2012 at 22:11

Minni - the battery is flat

i'm just back from the pub and pissed. oops, another rest day for me.....

21/11/2012 at 22:19
Got it sorted, thanks Simon.
21/11/2012 at 22:23
Another thing shaggy got me to do was a 4 week taper. Got my little protege to do the same for his first marathon in October, and off a 1:45 half in March, he ran 3:37. So number of long runs & taper ? He did 3 x 20s, last one 21 then just speed sessions, tempo run & a 11-12m long run till race.
Not too strenuous that KFC?

Barry, good luck this weekend.
Oh and Daren.

But main girl has to be Brol. 3rd time is going to be the best. Everything crossed for you.

I even have a special picture for you since Mr Zuvai isn't around, and not a tapir. It's a positive mental attitude thing I kept for special occasion, which must be this one.
21/11/2012 at 23:01
FRC - Well done on getting most improved runner at your club, you must be very proud.

Minni - Glad you've got it sorted, did you forget to turn it on! ( only joking)

Looking forward to a great racing w/end.
21/11/2012 at 23:16

Hi - just leaping in, though I haven't visited this thread for years.

2old - Re swimming stuff. I use a Swimovate Poolmate watch which detects when you change direction so automatically count laps. I have v poor concentration when I swim, so need something inanimate to keep tabs on me. I also wear daily disposable contact lenses all day every day, including when I swim with (Zoggs Predator Flex) goggles - it hasn't been a problem.

Great running, everyone else on this thread. I'm not doing VLM next year, but still squeaked in under 3:30 this year with 22 miles a week - there's definitely something in this cross-training/triathlon lark, so keep up the turbo Minni!

21/11/2012 at 23:53
Simon, I was only described as most improved runner by the coach... it wasn't an award or anything. Lots of applause though, and congrats later.
The Xmas handicap race though, im done for. Have to give 2 minutes plus start to my pals.

Brol, I used this page for my half last week it's a bit like Simons Maths but easier
Pacing for marathon & halfs in miles or km
Has a nice option to put a fade in your times by % or seconds, from say 30-35km point.

Joddly, well done on sub 3:30 doing 22 miles a week. Think there is a sweet spot for some people, others need more. How do you cross train? Bike & swim?
Dubai Dave    pirate
22/11/2012 at 04:50

Morning 

2old: Pool lap counting is either a Swimovate watch or garmin 910XT, I prefer the garmin but they cost more.

Bro: I have average lap pace, last lap pace, distance, time, time of day! 

Last night was 10 x 400 off 45 second recoveries which went 90/89/84/83/85/86/82/80/84/81 which is about 5 to 6 seconds quicker per lap off half the recovery to 7 weeks ago. Best of all I was holding back cos I'm racing tomorrow.

So nothing today as giving my battered body a day off before tomorrows, Olympic Tri. Mrs DD headed back to the UK this morning for a week so I'm a single parent!!! Thank god for domestic help!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.