RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,161 to 23,180 of 36,999 messages
22/11/2012 at 10:29

FRC - you've lost me there with techno-speak. I can only do picture links from my PC!

The Yelling camp taper is also the Martin Yelling inverse taper from MT.  So you back off a bit, then have a harder week, then back right down.  To be honest I don't think it makes much difference whether you go for 2 or 3 weeks (or even 4 maybe!) - it's everything you do before that that will determine your fate (IMHO of course!)

22/11/2012 at 10:29

I would have thought lower mileage would warrant a shorter taper rather than a longer one.

22/11/2012 at 10:51

Hmmm so I've done the Yelling inverse taper without realising it! The fact that it has a name and someone thinks it's a good idea makes me feel better!

22/11/2012 at 11:29

Bro- not long to go now , your taper whatever it is called is over .Rest rest and rest please.

FRC-congrats on being the 'most improved' which is no suprise here as you have produced a sequence of storming runs. I cant say I like 4 week tapers but then again I suppose thats what I had to do for my first marathon at FLM as I had knee pain and had to miss the last LR and hardly ran in the last week but my training had been done by then and did 3.26. The key is whats done in the 10-12 weeks beforethe last 4. By the way I like the calculater but wonder whether I have the concentration to run with such precision.I am getting better at it thanks to Minni

Barry-go and nail that sub 3.15 please!

Jodelly-hi and welcome aboard. Thats a great time on only 22 miles running  a week.Im waiting eagerly to see DDs marathon time based on his impressive speed work and mega cycling and consistent swimming. Thanks for the gadget suggestion

DD-you are looking very sharp at the moment .I reckon there may be more bling coming your way at that Olympic tri-good luck

KFC- I hate the idea of LRs but really enjoy them when I get out and do them and get upset when I have to curtail them say for injury or I meet someone I know and stop for a chat.I suppose thats why Im happy to do them. I think the rule of thumb is that  ideally for a comfortable marathon you should aim to get the last 5 LRs to total 200 miles. My approach is to get there a month early and in the last month try to do a couple more but add some speed or a few miles extra. I also cross trained -a couple of swims a week and a couple of spin sessions of about 20-30k .These replaced recovery and easy runs and were probably at a greater intensity than if I had run instead. I stopped cross training about a4-6 weeks before each marathon.

Chick-dont blame you for chickening out. I was going to do a LR tonight but have cahnged plans to a swim  lunchtime and TM run tonight.

Minni-I dont do enough bike work as my rear end tells me so whenever I do it. Did you suffer? Are you going to race this weekend?

22/11/2012 at 12:44

Forecast for Sunday - heavy rain and wind

22/11/2012 at 12:56
Joddly - Welcome to the mad house.

2old - I think you mean last 5 lsr's should total 100m ie 20m each, not 200m, shit you've have us doing 40m lsr's. That sounds more like O4S mara training plan.
22/11/2012 at 12:59

Ew forecast does look bad doesn't it. XC will be a swamp on Sunday. Not too bad for Bro in Spain thankfully.

I have a beast of a hangover today after the first Xmas party. Booze. Bah

22/11/2012 at 13:02

Freemers: didn't know you were racing too. And spoons as well?

Hope the weather forecast improves. It looks quite the same over here.

Right now it's blue skies and brilliant sunshine but of course I have no time today  to do a lunchtime run .

DD: crossing my fingers for your Tri tomorrow!

A 4 week taper would kill me. No way. 2 weeks is plenty, fanks

22/11/2012 at 13:23

Chick - yes, me and spoons too. But we'll be eating Daren's dust I expect . Originally thought I could get a PB and aim for around 1.33, but to be honest if it is that windy I'm doubtful unless miraculously it is behind us all the way which would require several shifts of wind direction. I'm just going to find someone big and wide to run behind

22/11/2012 at 13:35

Remember that Freemers always lies and claims she is going for a time 10 minutes slower than she actually plans to so if it all goes wrong she doesn't have to admit it

22/11/2012 at 13:38

Ant- ouch, hope you enjoyed the party.

DD- all the best for tomorrow.

Free- go for it, you never know!

I've just purchased a bottle of beetroot juice, not taking any chances. Minni- remind me, when am I supposed to have it?  Is it meant to be tomorrow, Sat and race day?

I'm meeting up with SSheep for dinner tonight, what a shame it will have to be sober!

22/11/2012 at 14:00
Start it today Brolish. Before TM I drank the bottle on Thur/Fri and Sat morning then hat a shot on Sat night and one on Sunday morning. Seemed to work for me.

Typical forecast for you uk racers this weekend.
22/11/2012 at 14:26
Brol, whereabouts? I could've caught you for a beer. For me anyway
Leaving at 7.
22/11/2012 at 14:28
Hope the pic works. I have kept it for a Special race for a Special person. Has to be Brol !

A few of you know I hate the thread good luck phrase, it's all wrong for me since it's negative and those are banned from my vocab in days upto an "A" race. Brain does odd tricks later on, want it thinking "do, yes, success" rather than "no, don't, fail" or similar. For me, want to only think positive words & images during the race.

Seeing Brol run at TR24 was a pleasure, never seen anyone smile so much from running. So after 2 attempts this year, if I could wish or will anyone a great race, it is Brol !

So I still say DBS but its an Aston Martin DBS, as in fast sporty roadster. Speedy, graceful, burning up the road leaving others behind in its dust.

Brol this image represents all your hard work & mileage - go smash it. You are officially going to be Awesome!??
(((Brol)))

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Xat4ivTMTQk/UK4PJhMp8wI/AAAAAAAAAkw/qnxk31P8SNk/s576/1923951644.jpg

22/11/2012 at 14:31
Ignore the question marks, pesky iPad.
22/11/2012 at 14:43

We say, Don't be Shit!  Completely not negative unless I suppose you look at it in a negative way.  Its the same as HTFU - same thing, different words.  Get with the game FRC.

22/11/2012 at 14:49

Simon-never was good at counting but maybe that was why I was always tired

Ant-Ive got a hangover too-my swim felt as though I was swimming in glue

FRC-maybe you could suggest cars that represents each of the rest of us on the thread? Im a bit like a Hummer.

Spoons-you know Free well!

Another allergic reaction to the pool but Im learning to live with it

Looks like its going to be busy on here this weekend

22/11/2012 at 15:11

I'm a smart car - small and smart

22/11/2012 at 15:18

I'm a Mini, of course

22/11/2012 at 15:19

FRC - the Don't Be Shit motto is only negative if you let it be taken that way! We all have shit runs - and are quite happy to tell our friends on here about them and then move onto the next race.  Life's too short to take it too seriously. But I love the DBS picture   I'd like to think I am a TVR, but in reality am probably a bit more like a lada - a bit old but you get a lot of mileage out of them

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.