RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,201 to 23,220 of 36,987 messages
22/11/2012 at 23:44
Minni, I'm not new to running? Been running 7-8 years, a couple of those injured.

Actually longer if you count the odd 5k in 1990s, at the scary sounding 32-33 minutes. I still remember the nun & tony the tiger costumes running past

As for the phrase thing, just agree to differ, clearly we aren't all be the same. I did giggle at Freemers freelander comment though. Worrying.

Brol, Hope you had fun. Is Speed Sheep okay & fit? No post for ages.

Scuba nice to see you posting & running even a little. Is that a minor op? Key hole?

How are things in Norwich? Nasty looking floods in North Wales not far away too. Hope everyone safe & okay, O4S?
23/11/2012 at 08:22
Morning folks...lots of rain overnight but no flooding near us - I think the west country got the worst of it so hope everyone is OK.

FRC - I don't think you are a real runner until you've had at least one stupid fancy dress runner overtake you...Tony the Tiger is good going! Mine was Orinoco in the last mile of the London Marathon in 2000

Scuba - good that the diagnosis was confirmed and you can look ahead to getting it sorted.

Aiming for an easy 5 with some strides later. The weather today looks lovely...next band of wind and rain due Sunday morning
Dubai Dave    pirate
23/11/2012 at 08:23
Morning folks. Well I was shit ! Not my best day at the office, legs still tired from coast to coast ride last week.

Swim was two laps of 750 metres on a triangular course, throw in 500 triathletes and its pretty close to being in a washing machine, kicked , punched, shoved and swam my way around in 28-12 which is quite quick for me. Into T1 and out on the bike in 2-21.

The bike course is 5 laps of 8 K on closed roads. It was a bit chaotic with those who treat Tri as a nice day out weaving around across the road on their mountain bikes, a bit scary when you coming past at 40 KPH tucked down with your hands no where near the brakes! Soon realised that my cycling legs were still somewhere over near the Indian Ocean but kept hammering on as best I could, 40K in 70 mins, about 3 mins longer than usual on this course, more worrying was that my work colleague and club mate who has never beaten me was at least half a lap in front of me. He does usually overtake me on the bike but today he came out the swim in front off me. ( memo to self must stop training with him!). Out of T 2 in 49 seconds onto the two lap run.

Legs felt heavy from start but settled into. 4 -30 min/k pace and stayed there, heading out on the first lap my mate was at least 1K in front of me, but I knew he always fades. Kept going and at second turn around the gap was probably 500 metres, legs hurting but pride at stake so kept going and caught him before third turnaround. Now there were a few more old adversaries to catch so shut up legs and keep running, caught two but two got away, finished run in 44-43 for a total time of 2 hours 26 mins 06 seconds. Which is a reasonable time for me but it felt too hard and my first non podium finish of the year! I was shit.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
23/11/2012 at 09:33

Minni - I did the Coastal Run in 2008.  This was the Beadnell to Alnmouth race, not the Coastal Marathon which I think they also have around there now.  The tide was out that year so the course was probably at its shortest.  I think they do advertise it as up to 14 miles, but I don't think it was quite that long that year going by my time.  It's a great race, the start line was the widest I've ever seen, we were stretched right down the beach.  For a lot of it on the beach sections you can take whatever route you like, and you know what the scenery is like in that part of the world.  Highly recommended.

23/11/2012 at 09:55

awww, c'mon DD. Smile. Those times look pretty reasonable to me . We all have rubbish days like that. I would have KILLED for your 10k time last Sunday (and that's just the run, without the swim & bike nonsense beforehand). I think you did well

On the car thing: I'm a vintage Porsche 911  - the emphasis is on vintage.

A double negation is positive, no? . In any case DBS is just the best phrase ever. I think it perfectly sums up the mood on the thread, the piss-taking we love and that we don't take ourselves too seriously. Honestly, that's one of the many many things that I miss back in Germany. They don't do this kind of stuff. Everyone is so goddamn bloody serious. I lurked on the German RW forum a bit but it's no fun at all. Most people on there have signature lines where they post their PBs, upcoming races etc.
Anyway, I digress. DBS -- if I was into body art I'd get it tattooed on my wrist

Norwich runners: if you are lucky wind & rain will have abated by the time you start. Fingers crossed.

Bro: very very excited for you now. I wish you the best of luck and an awesome race, you so deserve it. You are a stronger runner than me and I cracked 3:30, so start the race with confidence. YOU.WILL.DO.IT

23/11/2012 at 10:14

I'm down with the lurgy - again.  Water is pouring in, through a light fitting, down the wall and saturating the carpet.  No chance yet to try and find out where the problem is - we need a pretty long ladder as the leak is half way between the second and third floor.  The garden looks like a scarred battlefield in daylight where lots of stuff has come down off the trees.  More to come tomorrow....

Coughing, sneezing, headache - fed up!!

23/11/2012 at 10:30

Oh DD, how shit are you?!   Swim sounds like a nightmare - I really don't know how you cope with that.  Natural that your legs would feel tired after the epic ride last week.  Maybe you are human afterall.

Chick when we arrange our next event, that you can come over for, I suggest that we all book in for a DBS tattoo on our wrist.  I'd be up for that - rebellious animal that I am!

CD - yes I've done it a few times and love it.  The Coastal Marathon is the same route but there and back.  You must have finished well up when you did it?  I'm actually a second claim member of Alnwick Harriers

23/11/2012 at 10:36

DD - apologies, so busy feeling sorry for myself I forgot to tell you how shit you were   However I would have killed for that 10k time under any circumstances and would have drowned early on in the swim, so perhaps I am not in a position to comment.  You are so going to hate winter in Wiltshire..........................

23/11/2012 at 10:55

Morning all

Thought I was doing well after a 2k swim and 13.5k TM run yesterday and then DD comes along and totally blows that out of the water.

DD-I suppose we have to congratulate you but really that was pretty carp as we expect bling from you every race now . Youre swim time is about my mile pb  but then I would want to go home and have a lie down not blast through 40kbike and 10k run in those impressive times. Lets face it you didnt even have a mini taper so what would you have done if you hadnt gone into that race pretty well fatigued from training and racing over the previous few weeks.Im well impressed.As I siad before I am looking forward to the Dubai Marathon. If you give yourself a good taper we could see something special from you there.

Carrot-you are insane arent you? The weather conditions are irrelevant

Simon-no I didnt watch it.Reception problems meant I couldnt get a signal when I was on the TM. Intervals on returning from the lurgy? You are as mad as Carrot.

FRC-Never judge a book by its cover or a runner by his kit(ten outfit). This year at VLM I stood next to a guy dressed as superman type character but in reality all he was wearing was swimming trunks and the rest of him was sprayed red...Oh yes he had a number on a tri belt and a little cape around his neck and he was wearing a mask.I asked him what time he was looking to do and he said he normally did it in around 2.55.

Norwich Crew-enjoy the mud fest.If you are unlucky and the conditions are not right for a pb dont worry be happy.(At this rate it wont be long before Norwich becomes a great big lake)In a sense luck does have a bit to do with race outcomes. Look at Bro her luck ran out and she never even started her race --all will be different on Sunday though. I am basically a very negative person so having this thread help fill my always half empty glass has been more than good

Free /Minni/Spoons-what are all these 5 mile runs about-is there a secret schedule you are following?

Minni-I dont lurk on the sub 3 thread-the air is too rarified but I do take a peek at sub 3.15 every now and againGood to see you running again

O4S-hope the lurgy goes ready for your race and there are no cars racing at the same time.

May try a longish run today if I can fit it in before going to see Michael McIntyre -looks like the calm after the storm out there and we dont have the trees to worry about like you O4S .

23/11/2012 at 11:08

ST- so glad to hear you're gettig better and have a full diagnosis. 

FRC- SSheep is very well and back running.  She's holidaying in the UK at the moment but will be back full time posting in no time. We had a lovely meal last night with only a couple of glasses of wine.  That's how good I am! Oh, and we talked about the TR24.  I am happy to start organising it when I get back, I think we can easily get a couple of teams.

DD- no podium... very disappointed in you. Seriously it doesn't sound shit at all. Not sure how you deal with the washing machine effect, it would scare the life out of me.

((O4S))- hope you feel better soon.  Have some wine (maybe a bit later in the day).

Thank you everyone for all the nice words and your belief that I can crack it.  I am feeling great, a lot better than before NY to be honest (meaning I'm not a nervous wreck). The last 3m shuffle done this morning and no more running until Sunday.  I have my first christmas party with work tonight. Will be another sober one.

23/11/2012 at 11:37

Brol:  In case I forget later  GOOD LUCK!!!!   We'll all be celebrating when you do it!

Dubai Dave    pirate
23/11/2012 at 12:02
Bro: you deal with the washing machine by giving every bit as you get. Get swum over? Then push them out the way. Someone grabs your legs then kick them. I can well understand why the swim terrifies so many, you have to confident. Best of luck on Sunday.

O4S: can't say I'm looking forward to a UK winter but then I don't like UAE summers either. I can see my Tri career ending as I hate indoor pools. Mrs DD and I have been discussing going on somewhere new but elderly parents are a strong reason to come home.

Minni / 2Old et al: yes I know it's not really shit, in fact it equalled my course PB BUT it was a struggle whereas I usually fly.
23/11/2012 at 13:42
A sure sign you're still recovering DD. That and the added work of being a single parent. I don't know what Mrs DD was thinking leaving you at an important time in the racing calendar...

I have a 5 mile race tomorrow. I'm still coughing and will make a decision tonight after my outside run whether I think it's on or not. I'm keen to do it at HMP (which is only about 2 seconds slower than my 10k pace, 3 seconds 5k)
23/11/2012 at 13:46

Get in DD - he who wacks hardest wins My gym has an outdoor heated pool. Its quite nice in winter actually. Just make sure you wear a cap or your head will freeze. 

O4S - arrgh, I'd be going mental if I had water running through my ceiling. 

Best of luck to all the racers, both marathoners and half marathoners. The weather here today is lovely, hard to believe that another storm is due.

My headtorch trail run was fun last night despite the gale. I did wonder whether we'd end up with a tree across us all, but luckily they all stayed standing. Felt like damn hard work though so I guess that's a good thing!

5K handicap for me on Sat  am, followed by XC on Sunday. I'll be taking it easy after that...

Cheers, Ant

23/11/2012 at 13:47

DD - nice report, no bling and an equalled pb. Proper shit!

Norwich weather reports brings back horrible memories for me

O4S - you are getting all the crap weather aren't you. Hope you get your house sorted...and your lurgy (())

Back into double figures for me this morning for the first time since TM. 11 miles done on the treadmill. The lanes are all flooded here and couldn't be bothered to run along main roads  Jeremy Kyle kept me entertained though

23/11/2012 at 14:00
Similar to 2old's Superman, Martin H from next door ran VLM dressed as a purple fairy. He pb'd at something like 2:47.... Never under estimate the fancy dresser.

O4S - sounds like a nightmare. Go to bed and sleep through it.

Ant - tough week for you after your half. Keep an eye on that calf and make sure it doesn't start to play up again. You need to tick over for another few weeks then start the marathon training.

KFC - how did the physio go?

AA - glad to see you've finally got off your backside!
23/11/2012 at 15:36

2old - 5 mile runs are where it's at

DD - Wot no bling?

I'm off to bowling with the cubs.....

23/11/2012 at 15:52

Bro & Barry - Good luck for Sunday... deeply envious.

KFC - Interesting to see what your physio said??? I saw an osteopath for the first time ever this week and there was lots of technical talk about small patellas, over-tight tendons, muscle imbalances and my "q-angle" being better than expected! Coupled with lots of stretching and cracking, i'm none the wiser?????????? 

She is going to a knee seminar about some new fangled knee treatments on 5th Dec, and i get the feeling that i might be a guinea pig! I've got physio booked for Monday, but i'm being a good boy and letting the calf heal by only swimming and x-training... no running!

23/11/2012 at 16:13

O4S - Sorry to hear about your indoor water feature. I hope the bikes are ok.

DD - A sub 45min 10k at the end on tired legs. Yes that's proper shit, go and flog yourself for slacking. Or get one of your domestics to do it.

2old - Why is your reception poor for your tv? Is it at the end of your garden in a shed?

Ant - Well done on your nightime trail run. Btw which headtorch do you use?

Minni - Come on, you've dragged this lurgy thing on for a week now. Pull yourself together and get out there.

23/11/2012 at 17:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.