RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,321 to 23,340 of 37,338 messages
26/11/2012 at 00:38
Minni - All this talk of HM's has got me checking spring options. My Manchester mara is the week after VLM ie 28th Apr. I found Blackpool HM on 7th Apr, so if I go for a Pb there, I'll have 3 weeks to recover before mara. But probably more crucially the week after, I'll be doing my last 20m lsr. Do you think this is wise or not?
Dubai Dave    pirate
26/11/2012 at 05:03

Morning

Simon: when did "wise" ever come  into it? I reckon three weeks recovery is plenty, go for it

Barry: Nice run

Kids had me up half the night with various ailments, so binned the bike ride, swim at lunch, club run tonight.

26/11/2012 at 06:06
DarenF wrote (see)

Thanks, although now I'm torn! My OH's dad lives in Brentwood so would be a good one to coincide with a visit. Shame they're a week apart or I'd do both!

Do both!

DD sounds like you have as many 'viruses' over there as here.  Hope the boys are ok.

Simon - yes go for the half three weeks out but I'm not so sure about the 20 the week after, which will only be two weeks before the marathon.  If I were you I'd look to get the 20's all in before the half - so the last 20 the week before, even the Monday or Tuesday if you can.   When does your schedule start, which one are you following and what kind of weekly mileage are you doing just now?

26/11/2012 at 06:30
Carrot - you're right I am feeling OK about yesterday. I only have my mile splits for the first half as I was using manual laps and didn't bother after half way! But there were some 7.10-7.15 miles in the less windy bits where I felt pretty good, it was just in the wind I really struggled. To go sub 1.40 aint too bad overall

Minni - no, my pod lady hasn't done a full marathon for a few years, as she's been concentrating on the track season and XC. But she want's to give VLM another go and try for a sub 3. She was really using yesterday as her chance to get that qualifying time. I think she'd have found the wind a nightmare - she weighs next to nothing (proper runner!) and would have been blown all over the place!

It's good news about the Broadland Half. Hopefully I can build that into my schedule too.
26/11/2012 at 06:40

Morning. Legs are a bit achey today. 

26/11/2012 at 07:06
Simon I'm probably doing Blackpool too. You have a few options re the 20 miler - any possibility of a midweek one, say on the Wednesday after Blackpool? Or have a 2 mile warm up before the race and add a 5 mile cool down afterwards. Or as DD suggests, do your last 20m the week before Blackpool.
26/11/2012 at 07:18
Morning all, a little bit of DOMS here too. Spoons, Ant, neither Broadland or Brentwood routes look particularly flat - how have you found them? And Ant I was reading on some reviews of the Brentwood half about marshalls stopping people at the A12 roundabout to let traffic through - is this a general problem or is it just for the tailenders?
Minni, yeah I could do both I guess. A week is probably enough to recover sufficiently from a HM.
26/11/2012 at 07:52

Race report...

I was feeling pretty confident ahead of this one - my training was suggesting1:26 was possible - but waking up to howling winds I began to doubt it was going to be a PB day! But decided to go for it anyway.

I headed to the 1:15-1:30 section, jiggled about for 10 minutes desperately trying to keep warm, there was a minute's silence for the poor young bloke who died last year, and then we were off. There was a short section with the wind behind us to start - nice, then a bit of crosswind - not so nice, then into the headwind - brutal, the sort of wind you struggle to walk into, let alone run!

I tried my best to shelter behind runners where possible - it was surprisingly congested for the first couple of miles considering how far forward I started - but was also conscious of trying to keep the pace up and move through the field. The first two miles were 6:33 and 6:36 - not quite the sub-6:30 I'd been hoping for but I'd been prepared to lose a bit of time on the outward sections.

Mile 3 was the 'wind tunnel' for those that were there last year - horrendous, but still managed a 6:46. The wind was slightly more southerly than last year, which meant a very difficult crosswind for the first half of mile 4 - then relief as I hit the downhill section and turned away from the wind. 6:27s for miles 4 & 5 and back on PB schedule. Took a gel at the 5-mile point, which is a first for me in a HM, mainly for the electrolytes after my previous cramping problems, but could only manage half of it. Mile 6 was the long incline through the college but the wind behind helped a bit, especially as we headed back towards the showground, and I put in a 6:35.

Passed my little gang of supporters - OH, OH's dad, my mum, niece and nephew - as I re-entered the showground which gave me a boost and, although I wasn't feeling as great as I did at halfway in the GER, I wasn't feeling too bad and passed the halfway marker in 43:40, so still on schedule for a PB.

26/11/2012 at 08:09

Mile 7 was another 6:35. Heading back out into the wind for a second time was very tough though - I had fewer runners around me for shelter now and I started losing time. A 6:58 and a 7:01 followed, then a 6:40 as I tried to pick the pace up again. I was also aware that my Garmin was measuring very long (it recorded 13.28 miles in total) and that I was going to have to run well under 6:30 pace for the last 3 miles to stand a chance of getting a PB. And most of that was uphill! Still I did have the wind at my back...

Mile 11 completed in 6:29, but as I hit the long incline, I knew that pace was unsustainable. The hills had taken too much out of me and the PB wasn't going to happen. I was now faced with the choice of a) flog myself to death and still miss out on a PB, or b) keep up a reasonable pace and make it a bit less painful, and I must admit I went for option B. The last 2 miles were 6:58 and 6:52, and the last little bit at 6:41 pace. You could tell it had been a tough day - no one seemed to be sprinting for the line like usual and everyone, including me, seemed content to just hold their place and get to the end!

So, happy with the run considering the conditions and very happy with my placing - possibly could have run the last couple of miles a bit quicker, but that wind took a lot out of you physically and mentally so I'm not going to beat myself up about it. Another plus was that I didn't get cramp in my calves Whether it was training more in my racing shoes, wearing compression socks or taking electrolytes I don't know, but the combination definitely worked so that's good news.

I think I'm going to go back to a bit more Hadd-style training for a few months over the winter now, although keeping a bit of speedwork in there as my 5k suffered last time, and then hopefully I can smash that HM PB in the spring!

26/11/2012 at 08:33
Minni - 16wk sched starts 6thJan, doing everyone's favorite F*rman. However this year I've got the book, so will be following that training plan. Previously I would make up the paces myself. It ramps up the lsr's pretty quick, ie 13, 15, 17, 20. Currently only doing about 20m per wk. Doing something like P&D with 50-70m weekly mileage just wouldn't work for me.
I promise not to mention the 'F' word too often lol
26/11/2012 at 09:22

Nice report Daren . Mile 3 and then 9 the second time round were just brutal...in fact I thought the "hill" after that was nice and easy in comparison! I went through half way in 48 dead, so a positive split of a little under 2 minutes not the best. I hate to think of what my split for mile 9 was - I felt like I was going backwards at times!

Broadland Half - I've done it once before but it was a long time ago and I can't really remember the course. I think it must be faster than Bungay though. Spoons will know better.

26/11/2012 at 09:44

Daren nice report Still a great time in those conditions. Glad the compression socks/ electrolytes working for you. might be a placebo thing but I'm exactly the same. wind sounds nasty.

Freemers well done too, sounded like a tough course from your description of hills.

Barry, close again, well done.  did I also imagine you did another marathon recently?

Simon, sure you're the same area as me & 2old for half marathons. Wilmslow half on the 24th of March if any use. I prefer a bit longer out if doing a half. The fast/ flat one I did last week in Stratford is on again also, March 9th 11am start so do-able.

steady 15 miles for me yesterday, through mud & puddles to stretch the legs out. ran 4 miles with my missus, just starting help her train for Hebden 22 miler which we are doing together Jan 19th.

hope everyone okay with the rain.  Minni? heading your direction according to weather, 3" in one day?

26/11/2012 at 10:04

Simon - I'm sure the book will make all the difference!   I'd worry about injury fitting the 20 in just a few days after a pb HM.  Be Careful with those paces too.  What are you using to set the paces?  Your recent 10k?

The roads were flooding here when I drove to work in the dark.  Its so depressing.

26/11/2012 at 10:43

I've only had one glass of wine in the last 10 days.  not that I'm counting.....

26/11/2012 at 11:06

Bro absolutely brilliant and thoroughly deserved,especially after the disappointment of New York

Really felt for you all at Norwich yesterday. I didn't even go to watch as it was just miserable weather. Well done for battling it out guys! Lots of slow times yesterday so you should be well chuffed with your time Daren!

Barry well done on a fab time, although not what you wanted.

26/11/2012 at 11:20

Thanks forever, don't blame you for not coming out to watch!

Five easy miles done and dusted and typically it's a lovely, sunny, calm morning - perfect for running - HR a bit up which is unsurprising after yesterday's efforts.

26/11/2012 at 11:45

Daren - depends what you mean by flat. There are a few inclines, but total climbing over the whole half is pretty minimal. I think there is an interactive elevation thing on the map. As for the A12 stopping. Hasn't happened to me, but I know the junction. They do stop the traffic to let you past.

26/11/2012 at 11:54

Forever - I did wonder if you'd be there, and I definitely don't blame you for not wanting to stand around in that wind. Wise decision

26/11/2012 at 12:00

forever, deserved for Brol after the disappointment of New York and Copenhagen (heat wave)!

I'm waiting for Brols report. Epic surely! Hollywood will be after the rights.

Oh, she's still drinking..  All deserved

26/11/2012 at 12:17

Great report, Daren

Go, do Brentwood. It's fab. The first 2 miles are downhill so even idiots like me get away with starting too fast

Haha, Bro's hangover will be spectacular today

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.