RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,321 to 23,340 of 36,998 messages
25/11/2012 at 19:27

I got a 7.0 for my VLM

25/11/2012 at 20:03
Brolish-yippee, you smashed the 3:30 barrier big time so pleased for you.

Freemers, Daren and Spoons you all did so well given the conditions you ran in, hope you are all refuelling well tonight

Barry-congrats on your 3:18 marathon time.

O4S- I hope the bucket and bowl last for what looks like another wet night. Schools in our area are closed tomorrow due to the flooding and only one road into town is open at the moment due to the floods!
25/11/2012 at 20:11
Daren - I knew that was a good time in those conditions, but no I'm not on Run britian. I expect it's more relevant for you speed merchants, not slow coaches like me, is it age graded? If it is, my moneys on O4S, she'll woop all are arses.

Well decided to kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so went to the gym for some cardio recovery and watch F1. Well it was so exciting, I ended up doing 1:35 on a bike. Left resistance just low enough to work up a sweat.

O4S- Hope you get your house sorted, and no more rain.
25/11/2012 at 20:32

The handicap system isn't age graded Simon, but there is a bit where it ranks you in your age group and, I'm sure you're right, O4S would be well ahead of the rest of us on that!

25/11/2012 at 21:12

How does that work then Daren? Is there a formula to adjust your time?

25/11/2012 at 21:36

Aw I knew Bro would do it!  Well done Bro you really do deserve it, you've put so much work into this and after all the hassle with NY and even more getting to San Sebastian (were you a mass murderer in a previous life or something?!) I hope it feels like it was all worth it.

Barry - didn't you just run a marathon four weeks ago? 3:18 on legs that can't have been recovered is awesome, be proud of yourself.

Great work from the Norwich Trio. I ran this afternoon after the rain had disappeared and was grateful I wasn't racing as it was a bit breezy, looks like it was much worse further down south.  Daren fast as always, you'll be 1:25ing on a good weather day.  Freemers that's a decent HM time is it not?  Especially given the conditions, and the lack of trying.  See it as a training run and you'd have been over the moon with it.  Spoons put it down as 13 miles @ MP which is good going when you've not been well.

O4S it sounds like you're having a nightmare at home, really hope things get better down your way.

Good racing yesterday Minni, hope your 14 went OK today.

Was going to YKW yesterday (confession: I've done a fair few lately!) but warming up my achilles felt sore so ended up as 30 minute pacer.  It's OK today but I can still feel it a bit.  Hopefully nothing a bit of deep heat won't sort out.  Still ran today, 14 miles at a nice sedate 8:30mm.

25/11/2012 at 21:39

Yeah, there must be Spoons - it doesn't actually tell you your adjusted times, but you can rank all your performances in order of 'adjusted best time' and today's comes top for me .

No races booked now so best start planning my next one... I think the Wymondham New Year's Day 10k is looking tempting, especially as I'm gigging New Year's Eve so won't be able to drink . Anyone done it before?

Also, does anyone know of any fast, flat HMs in the spring? (ie not Bungay!) Preferably within 50 miles of Norwich or alternatively Essex or even possibly London?

25/11/2012 at 21:53

Daren - Broadland half is on again this spring. I always do it. I've done Wymondham NYD 10km. Nice race although I was shite. 

25/11/2012 at 22:10
Oooh Barry, wait till you get back and catch up with Homeland. So good tonight....
25/11/2012 at 22:22

Barry - nice result, even if it wasn't quite what you wanted. 

Daren - check out Brentwood. Great half in Spring. Kiwi does this one as well, I can't do it this year because of marathon timing, but otherwise I would.

http://www.brentwoodhalf.org/

Couple of days rest for me and then marathon buildup starts. Gulp.

25/11/2012 at 22:23

Excellent - Broadland half it is then. Thanks Spoons.

25/11/2012 at 22:30

X-post with Ant. Thanks, although now I'm torn! My OH's dad lives in Brentwood so would be a good one to coincide with a visit. Shame they're a week apart or I'd do both!

26/11/2012 at 00:38
Minni - All this talk of HM's has got me checking spring options. My Manchester mara is the week after VLM ie 28th Apr. I found Blackpool HM on 7th Apr, so if I go for a Pb there, I'll have 3 weeks to recover before mara. But probably more crucially the week after, I'll be doing my last 20m lsr. Do you think this is wise or not?
Dubai Dave    pirate
26/11/2012 at 05:03

Morning

Simon: when did "wise" ever come  into it? I reckon three weeks recovery is plenty, go for it

Barry: Nice run

Kids had me up half the night with various ailments, so binned the bike ride, swim at lunch, club run tonight.

26/11/2012 at 06:06
DarenF wrote (see)

Thanks, although now I'm torn! My OH's dad lives in Brentwood so would be a good one to coincide with a visit. Shame they're a week apart or I'd do both!

Do both!

DD sounds like you have as many 'viruses' over there as here.  Hope the boys are ok.

Simon - yes go for the half three weeks out but I'm not so sure about the 20 the week after, which will only be two weeks before the marathon.  If I were you I'd look to get the 20's all in before the half - so the last 20 the week before, even the Monday or Tuesday if you can.   When does your schedule start, which one are you following and what kind of weekly mileage are you doing just now?

26/11/2012 at 06:30
Carrot - you're right I am feeling OK about yesterday. I only have my mile splits for the first half as I was using manual laps and didn't bother after half way! But there were some 7.10-7.15 miles in the less windy bits where I felt pretty good, it was just in the wind I really struggled. To go sub 1.40 aint too bad overall

Minni - no, my pod lady hasn't done a full marathon for a few years, as she's been concentrating on the track season and XC. But she want's to give VLM another go and try for a sub 3. She was really using yesterday as her chance to get that qualifying time. I think she'd have found the wind a nightmare - she weighs next to nothing (proper runner!) and would have been blown all over the place!

It's good news about the Broadland Half. Hopefully I can build that into my schedule too.
26/11/2012 at 06:40

Morning. Legs are a bit achey today. 

26/11/2012 at 07:06
Simon I'm probably doing Blackpool too. You have a few options re the 20 miler - any possibility of a midweek one, say on the Wednesday after Blackpool? Or have a 2 mile warm up before the race and add a 5 mile cool down afterwards. Or as DD suggests, do your last 20m the week before Blackpool.
26/11/2012 at 07:18
Morning all, a little bit of DOMS here too. Spoons, Ant, neither Broadland or Brentwood routes look particularly flat - how have you found them? And Ant I was reading on some reviews of the Brentwood half about marshalls stopping people at the A12 roundabout to let traffic through - is this a general problem or is it just for the tailenders?
Minni, yeah I could do both I guess. A week is probably enough to recover sufficiently from a HM.
26/11/2012 at 07:52

Race report...

I was feeling pretty confident ahead of this one - my training was suggesting1:26 was possible - but waking up to howling winds I began to doubt it was going to be a PB day! But decided to go for it anyway.

I headed to the 1:15-1:30 section, jiggled about for 10 minutes desperately trying to keep warm, there was a minute's silence for the poor young bloke who died last year, and then we were off. There was a short section with the wind behind us to start - nice, then a bit of crosswind - not so nice, then into the headwind - brutal, the sort of wind you struggle to walk into, let alone run!

I tried my best to shelter behind runners where possible - it was surprisingly congested for the first couple of miles considering how far forward I started - but was also conscious of trying to keep the pace up and move through the field. The first two miles were 6:33 and 6:36 - not quite the sub-6:30 I'd been hoping for but I'd been prepared to lose a bit of time on the outward sections.

Mile 3 was the 'wind tunnel' for those that were there last year - horrendous, but still managed a 6:46. The wind was slightly more southerly than last year, which meant a very difficult crosswind for the first half of mile 4 - then relief as I hit the downhill section and turned away from the wind. 6:27s for miles 4 & 5 and back on PB schedule. Took a gel at the 5-mile point, which is a first for me in a HM, mainly for the electrolytes after my previous cramping problems, but could only manage half of it. Mile 6 was the long incline through the college but the wind behind helped a bit, especially as we headed back towards the showground, and I put in a 6:35.

Passed my little gang of supporters - OH, OH's dad, my mum, niece and nephew - as I re-entered the showground which gave me a boost and, although I wasn't feeling as great as I did at halfway in the GER, I wasn't feeling too bad and passed the halfway marker in 43:40, so still on schedule for a PB.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.