RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,381 to 23,400 of 37,234 messages
Cheerful Dave    pirate
27/11/2012 at 14:39

These recommendations on how much water you need usually forget to mention that much of the water you need is contained in food, so you don't actually need to drink quite that much.  The '1 litre per hour exercise' is a sweeping generalisation - an hour on a treddie in a gym and you might need that, or more.  An hour running outside in the current weather and you probably wouldn't need to drink much at all.

Mind you, it's a decent excuse to down a couple of litres of beer after a marathon. 

27/11/2012 at 14:47

OMG - how much would I need to drink on a 100 mile ultra taking 24+ hours

I would most probably explode.....................

Great report Brol, I suppose the only positive in the whole sorry saga is that you didn't really have time to worry about actually running the thing - just getting there took all your energies

27/11/2012 at 14:48

I keep a litre of water at my desk which I drink throughout the day on top of any other drinks I have, mainly coffee.   The more stressed I am the more coffee I drink and the less I eat!

Dubai Dave    pirate
27/11/2012 at 15:06

Bro: ace report, you don't make things easy do you?

Chick: ouch, they replaced my garmin for a very reasonable price when i dropped it and broke the screen.

FRC: there are plenty of studies which suggest being slightly dehydrated is not a big problem

27/11/2012 at 15:35

Chick - Hope you get the garmin sorted, or could be a good excuse for a new one for chrimbo. Did anyone see you fall over, and did you limp off pretending you meant to do it, as thou it was part of your training?

O4S - Yes I think you will did to get BA to lug a trolley full of water bottles round the courses for your ultras, mind you that will slow him down even more.

Bro - Great race report, I bet Mr Bro is glad it's all over, and you can get back to a bit of normality, if such a thing exists when your married to a runner.

Mr Z wrote

Im on my travels again but have my kit with me as i am keen to keep this up!  (simon - can you recomend any decent runs in northenden/ wythenshaw area?)

You're very close to where I work in Didsbury, which is just the other side of the river. The only run I know is along the tow path along the river Mersey which goes thru where you will be also. Mixture of tarmac, gravel, grass and mud. Probably lots of mud in this weather, but good fun as away from the traffic. When are you up here? Pm me if you want to meet up for a run.

27/11/2012 at 15:41

I thought that O4S, a litre per water per hour of exercise, but not during the actual exercise. A long ultra , I could imagine drinking 1/2 litre per hour of water at a guess,? Although I guess you should include the day or so after to not have lost weight - that was part of the reasoning, athletes weight being monitored over 5-7 days of training & competition - some collapsing or having poor performances - rowers & boxers dieting to hit a weight.

As CD says, food all contains liquid. I always have a bottle of squash at work, but no added sugar version, suggestion was to have hi juice/ added sugar one so its stays in your body longer with the sugar.

Easy for some to be dehydrated DD, in your lovely sunny climate.

Beer after marathon though, definitely! Wonder if Brol is still on her alcohol drip feed...

27/11/2012 at 16:14
simon62w wrote (see)

Chick - Hope you get the garmin sorted, or could be a good excuse for a new one for chrimbo. Did anyone see you fall over, and did you limp off pretending you meant to do it, as thou it was part of your training?

hehehe - thank god no-one saw my spectacular attempt at flying . It was early morning and still dark.

Garmin will give me the newer model (410) for half price (well, almost, it's a bit more) but it's a good deal, much cheaper than on Amazon. Just as well that I flogged stuff on ebay last week and have a few $$$ to spare

27/11/2012 at 16:18

Let's not forget we all use the Shaggy pee-colour test to check our hydration levels, don't we?

Post marathon drink of choice has to be a cold lager shandy. Never drink it any other time

27/11/2012 at 16:53

Chic, sounds a good deal, 410 is about £150-160 at moment, really half price? friend with a 405 having battery problems... maybe I should tell him to drop it and do that.

As for tests, straw coloured at moment. sort of the colour of cats back in my avatar.

Cold lager shandy? softy southerner drink of choice!

Ah.. you mentioned Shaggy  

27/11/2012 at 20:09

FRC - Yes I bought a 410 this summer for 165 pounds on amazon, looked like a bargain as original rrp was 320 pounds.

27/11/2012 at 20:54

I drink lots of tea. And beer. And wine. Not much water though..... 

27/11/2012 at 21:07
Freemers wrote (see)

Let's not forget we all use the Shaggy pee-colour test to check our hydration levels, don't we?

I think of Shaggy every time I pee or have a bath. 

What a day.  Slept in so ate my breakfast in the car and have just returned having a dry bagel in the car for my supper. 

But I did manage a session of 600 reps early evening before a meeting.  However, was running late so didn't have time to shower before the meeting and had to do a wet wipe wash.....

Not the best day.

27/11/2012 at 22:11
Minni - Didn't they notice you sweaty and steaming in the corner, with your xc spikes still on lol.
27/11/2012 at 23:02
Butting in again briefly
Re water - read that no one has died in a race drinking too little but drinking too much ........ I'm working on running without having to stop too often for water. Anyway what goes in has to come out and I'm fed up losing time in marathons having to stop.
Minni - nothing wrong with a dry bagel. Had one of those before Boston when I went sub 3.15 for the first time. ..and no toilet stops! Every little run goes into the bank and don't forget you are recovering so good interval session
FRc- wow the price has dropped a lot for that watch. I'm happy with my 610 though I don't make the most of its features
2k swim and a body pump class today. ...how tough was that class and I thought I was fit.
Edited: 27/11/2012 at 23:02
27/11/2012 at 23:22

I go by pee. But I like water anyway and have a habit of just drinking while bored so I generally don't have to worry about being hydrated.

Great report Bro. And hopefully you haven't jinxed everyone for VLM.

Eight miles including another trip out with the running club tonight. I think I'm going to sign up.

27/11/2012 at 23:31
2old - Ah yes the body pump classes, always a good place to checkout the pert buns, enjoy.
27/11/2012 at 23:58

2old, body pump was what got my injured & aging legs working again last year. great class for building up, and also testing for injuries. 610 is good, but for some reason missing the course feature I like, to help navigate. not sure why.

simon, I'd only buy at the low price.. thought chic meant £80 quid.., rare to see RRP now. Or I'm just a cheap skate.

Minni, sounds a busy & stressful day. where was lunch or no time?

Horrible hill repeat/ sprint club session tonight, 10 x 400m with hill from start to middle, then flat sprint section. Stayed with top group, but very tempted to drop back one, legs felt tired and stats seem to back that up (1.31-1.38). recovering from the half still ? (plus Sunday's 15 mile LSR).

28/11/2012 at 07:09
Weeble. wrote (see)

But I have a habit of just drinking while bored so I generally don't have to worry about being hydrated.

2old wrote (see)
Re water - read that no one has died in a race drinking too little but drinking too much ........ I'm working on running without having to stop too often for water.

Very true 2old.  We appear to have developed an obsession with drinking water, which is not necessary.  Animals just drink to their body's need so why do we insist on pouring more than we need down our necks?

I have two Labs.  Mother Lab hardly drinks and never has.  A bowl of water would last her several days since she just takes very small amounts at a time.   Baby Lab drinks a bowlful at a time and she needs a refill several times a day.  Both work and have the same amount of exercise and both are fit and healthy.

28/11/2012 at 08:01

For the record, BA ended up in hospital after one of our 100 mile events - had drunk too much water and was suffering from salt depletion.  He was completely out of it and even I [tough old boot that I am], was seriously frightened.  It was a warm day and he was worried about dehydration......................

28/11/2012 at 08:06
Minni wrote (see)

I have two Labs.  Mother Lab hardly drinks and never has.  A bowl of water would last her several days since she just takes very small amounts at a time.   Baby Lab drinks a bowlful at a time and she needs a refill several times a day.  Both work and have the same amount of exercise and both are fit and healthy.

Minni - A bit like humans. Kids will scoff anything infront of them if it's free, where as adults know there limitations, normally, as long as it's not alcohol.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.