RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,421 to 23,440 of 36,121 messages
28/11/2012 at 12:24

Great reports Brolish and Barry! And once again fantastic efforts and times from both of you.

Intended to run yesterday but thighs were still feeling the HM in them so thought the rest would do me more good (*CNBA if truth be told), but feel fine today so did a nice easy 5 before work and HR was back to normal so must be fully recovered.

28/11/2012 at 12:38

BarryB: such a great report . I could feel how much the final 2k must have hurt. Ouch. I still think knocking 2 brilliant times within 5 weeks deserves a lot of credit. Next time round sub 3:15 is going to happen. You kept on pace admirably long considering this was the 2nd hard mara.

M.r Zuvai wrote (see)
Minni wrote (see)
Freemers wrote (see)

Let's not forget we all use the Shaggy pee-colour test to check our hydration levels, don't we?

I think of Shaggy every time I pee or have a bath. 

haha - i too think of shaggy in both those situations haha

oh yeah, the pee test. How could I forget

Garmin are really amazing. They sent me all the forms already and will basically send me a brandnew package with all the accessories too if I hand my old ones in. It even comes with a 2 year warranty. Deffo great customer service.

When I got up this morning I felt remarkably good and my knee hurt very little. I even thought I would try a little run tonight. But by now it hurts again. I think it's that sitting at the desk with the knees bent that causes the pain to come back. At home with the legs stretched and an ice-pack on is a different story...

28/11/2012 at 12:43

Great report Barry, but have you seen Homeland yet???!!!! 

28/11/2012 at 12:56

Seriously, that is a great report.  I love Born to Run and that would really get me in the mood at the start too.

Its so difficult in the latter stages of a marathon when the pace drops a bit then mentally you start to doubt yourself.  I'd say you definitely gave it your all otherwise you would have been able to maintain it over those last couple of miles and that is great going just 5 weeks after your marathon. (at Edinburgh I knew by 8 miles it was a no go).  I'd also say that you'll get under 3:15.  4 Marathons so close show that you are capable but perhaps you need some more fine tuning.  Maybe if Moraghan drops in he might give you a pointer. 

For what its worth my head lets me down on the shorter stuff.  I can knuckle down on the marathon but when trying to do fast, short reps I often get to a point where I think, I just can't do this.

28/11/2012 at 13:16

Minni - You girls are always banging on about how we men can't handle pain, and we're so lucky we don't have to go thru child birth So you need to zip your woman suit up and get on with it, and you're supposed to be a tough northern bird aswell. Moraghan needs to send you to bootcamp.

28/11/2012 at 13:26
OMG I am soooo excited! We've just had confirmation that Sky Sports ate coming to film my son's rugby team train at 7am on Saturday morning!! The film will be shown thoughout the day in the lead up to the England - All Blacks match and on a bid screen at twickenham! I'm so proud I could burst!
Edited: 28/11/2012 at 13:27
M.r Zuvai    pirate
28/11/2012 at 13:47

thats fabulous news Minni  bet you're one proud mum - i'll have to watch the prematch build up this week!

28/11/2012 at 13:53

Minni - wow! How did his team get picked for that?

Barry - great report and well toughed out. No way do you not have mental toughness - even contemplating two marathons that close together is mental enough .  I'm sure you'll nail 3.15 next time in VLM...you'll have Minni chasing you down as added incentive

Good news about your Garmin chick

Struggled with intervals today - almost chundered on the treadmill as I finished the last one . I think Sunday's race must have taken more out of me than I thought. I think I'll stick to easy running for the next week - to be honest I have no races planned until February and my VLM schedule doesn't kick in for a few weeks yet, so no need to flog myself to death if I don't have to.

28/11/2012 at 14:09

Minni- yey!!! Must be very proud

28/11/2012 at 14:10

Its to do with Toby Flood who trained as a junior with Alnwick and grass roots rugby.  My husband is the team coach and he got a phone call yesterday about it but they just confirmed it today.  Of course being the devoted mother/wife that I am I will have to go and watch.

28/11/2012 at 14:20

Hi all,

This is my first post in this forum - I thought I would pop in and say a quick hello as I have a place in next year's VLM and am aiming for around 3:30. That would be a huge improvement from my previous time (from 2010) of about 4:18 but my fitness levels are considerably higher now and I have knocked large chunks off my PBs for shorter distances since then. My current PBs are 43:27 for 10K and 1:38:28 for HM, and based on those times I reckon 3:30 is ambitious but not unachievable. Anyway, I will follow the RW training plan for 3:30 and see how I feel.

By the way, I would definitely recommend the Brentwood HM - it is a nice course and the race is always well supported. The start is downhill and there is (unsurprisingly) a longish but not too horrendous uphill bit towards the end, but apart from that it is pretty flat. I've never had a problem at the A12 junction, it is not far from the start and they generally let all of the runners through. The race tends to fill up quite quickly though so it's best to book up early. 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
28/11/2012 at 14:24

** whispers**  toby flood injured himself this weekend and wont be playing NZ - i hope that doesnt affect it in anyway  

Welcome Andy!

28/11/2012 at 14:30
I think he was ruled out yesterday with a toe injury so it shouldn't affect it.

Hello Andy.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
28/11/2012 at 14:33

Phew - i didnt even want to mention it incase i jinxed something!

28/11/2012 at 14:36
Minni wrote (see)
OMG I am soooo excited! We've just had confirmation that Sky Sports ate coming to film my son's rugby team train at 7am on Saturday morning!! The film will be shown thoughout the day in the lead up to the England - All Blacks match and on a bid screen at twickenham! I'm so proud I could burst!

Yay, Minni. How exciting!!!!

welcome Andy! Those are good race times. I'm sure you can bring them down further in your spring marathon campaign.

28/11/2012 at 14:53

Welcome Andy. Based on your 10k and HM pbs 3.30 should be very much achievable.  You're in the right place- lots of good advice and support here.

28/11/2012 at 15:05

Brol & Barry - Belated congrats on two great times and reports.

Welcome Andy. As Brol said, there's plenty of experience and good advice on this thread... Plenty of nonsense, alcoholism and tr... tri... triath... It's no good, i can't bring myself to say the word!

Oh, one last thing, if you are doing the same marathon as Brol, it might be wise to change venue!!!

I've not been on for a while as feel a bit of a fraud as i'm still not running, but Sunday is d-day... hopefully?

28/11/2012 at 15:16

Barry - great report. Sounds tough. Well done again.

Andy - Hi and welcome. 3:30 sounds sensible but don't get hung up on numbers. See how the training goes.

28/11/2012 at 15:17
Minni wrote (see)

Of course being the devoted mother/wife that I am I will have to go and watch.

I bet you sneak off for your run during the filming.....

28/11/2012 at 16:45

Way-hey - TV appearance for Master Minni! Nice one. 

Great report Barry. Those damn final miles eh! 

Chick - ouch, watch out about running on the knee if it still hurts even if it is non running related because you could end up with compensation injury or similar. 

Hi Andy - agree with Spoons that its best not to look at numbers just yet, those RW plans have a tendency to pigeonhole you a little too early in the training cycle.

After two days off after my double header I was back running at lunchtime today. Howling northerly winds were not welcome, but I felt pretty good. Effectively the first run of the long road to Paris. Bring it on!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/28/witches-pagan-sexual-assault-trial-cornwall

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.