RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,421 to 23,440 of 37,506 messages
28/11/2012 at 14:30
I think he was ruled out yesterday with a toe injury so it shouldn't affect it.

Hello Andy.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
28/11/2012 at 14:33

Phew - i didnt even want to mention it incase i jinxed something!

28/11/2012 at 14:36
Minni wrote (see)
OMG I am soooo excited! We've just had confirmation that Sky Sports ate coming to film my son's rugby team train at 7am on Saturday morning!! The film will be shown thoughout the day in the lead up to the England - All Blacks match and on a bid screen at twickenham! I'm so proud I could burst!

Yay, Minni. How exciting!!!!

welcome Andy! Those are good race times. I'm sure you can bring them down further in your spring marathon campaign.

28/11/2012 at 14:53

Welcome Andy. Based on your 10k and HM pbs 3.30 should be very much achievable.  You're in the right place- lots of good advice and support here.

28/11/2012 at 15:05

Brol & Barry - Belated congrats on two great times and reports.

Welcome Andy. As Brol said, there's plenty of experience and good advice on this thread... Plenty of nonsense, alcoholism and tr... tri... triath... It's no good, i can't bring myself to say the word!

Oh, one last thing, if you are doing the same marathon as Brol, it might be wise to change venue!!!

I've not been on for a while as feel a bit of a fraud as i'm still not running, but Sunday is d-day... hopefully?

28/11/2012 at 15:16

Barry - great report. Sounds tough. Well done again.

Andy - Hi and welcome. 3:30 sounds sensible but don't get hung up on numbers. See how the training goes.

28/11/2012 at 15:17
Minni wrote (see)

Of course being the devoted mother/wife that I am I will have to go and watch.

I bet you sneak off for your run during the filming.....

28/11/2012 at 16:45

Way-hey - TV appearance for Master Minni! Nice one. 

Great report Barry. Those damn final miles eh! 

Chick - ouch, watch out about running on the knee if it still hurts even if it is non running related because you could end up with compensation injury or similar. 

Hi Andy - agree with Spoons that its best not to look at numbers just yet, those RW plans have a tendency to pigeonhole you a little too early in the training cycle.

After two days off after my double header I was back running at lunchtime today. Howling northerly winds were not welcome, but I felt pretty good. Effectively the first run of the long road to Paris. Bring it on!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/nov/28/witches-pagan-sexual-assault-trial-cornwall

28/11/2012 at 16:52

Minni, how exciting!  I would watch it but I don't allow myself to have Sky on account of the fact that I'd just spend all day watching sport and doing very little else if I did!

Welcome Andy, I agree 3:30 is, as you said, an ambitious but achievable target based on your PBs, especially as those will probably come down with the training you'll do between now and your marathon. And thanks for the heads up on the Brentwood HM.

Ant, what's with the web link?!

28/11/2012 at 16:55

Guess who made it onto the MT podium...

28/11/2012 at 17:07

Not sure what the link was for Ant P? errr.

Barry, great report. last 3k sounded really tough. Was there a big gap between the three 3:15 pacers? First 5k was 4:33 not 38 if my maths are correct. Any similarities between in your last 4 marathons, different pacing or fade? I wondered if slightly different pacing in first half or extra gel would've made a difference but 5 weeks apart. You're so close to sub 3:15 though, just a few tweaks, and peak for VLM, sure you will get it.

Congrats to mini Minni.

AndyA, Welcome. I'm sure those half & 10k times are similar to many of us when we went sub 3:30. Half down a touch in training and 3:30 very do-able.

RE: hydration talk, salt was of course important, not just water.. I carry a hand water bottle for long runs, marathons, ultras - find it easier with a sports top & sip when needed, zeros & bloks for races. As with Minni's labs, everyone is different, some need more fluids, sweat more, lose more salt. I'd certainly top up on electrolyte more than plain water during an ultra, but maybe 1/4-1/2 litre per hour. Although no-one has died from dehydration, certainly many people collapse with dehydration, or on drips after races or other sports events. Certainly see a few suffering after ironman or endurance events, getting the carbs & electrolytes right for your body. If it could be worth 1-3% of your peak performance, sure we are all interested in that, difference between 3:16 & 3:13.

Brol ? is it a certain guapa lady?

Off for afterburn circuit in 30 mins, then rest time. Easy run tomorrow I think.

Edited: 28/11/2012 at 17:08
28/11/2012 at 17:16

Minni -  Congrats on the 5 mile prize and PB, I take it you are fully recovered.  Have n't seen Homeland yet, hopefully tonight, my eldest daughter was glad we had n't watched it together as " it gets a bit raunchy" Great news about the rugby.

Well done to the Norwich three for battling the elements. Daren  really good finishing position and good news about the cramp.

O4S -  Sounds like a rough weekend for you, if you want to something to take your mind off it take a look at the 100KM Tuscany Crossing 27 Apr 2013.

Simon -   I would do Blackpool HM and race it, I think 3 weeks is plenty of recovery time.

Brol -  Great report and congrats again, target for VLM?

Chick -  Bad news about your fall, hope it not too serious. Good news re the Garmin.

Weeble -  Good to hear your running is going well.

Welcome Andy,  don't become obsessed with times, I don't. Seriously though your times indicate a 3:30 time.

28/11/2012 at 17:26

x post  FRC -  I took the times off the official chip timing email as my garmin lost it a bit due to tunnels/narrow streets ect.  Normally I've got to halfway ahead of target 1:33/1:34 to allow for fade whereas Sunday I made a determined effort to run the same pace throughout, but there are so many other factors hard to say which is best for me.  In most of them apart from the 3:17 I have struggled in the last 3 to 6.

Probably about 200 metres between the pacers when I was with them but did n't see the finish line gap as I was a bit behind.  Anyone know if they have pacers at VLM.

28/11/2012 at 17:45

Yes Barry, VLM is full of pacers!  Personally, I wouldn't ever run with pacers because I like to be in my own zone but I know others find them helpful.

Homeland -  yes there is a very raunchy scene but keep watching!  My friend said she turned away but then she missed a crucial snap shot.  Oh its so good!

What about trying a different schedule?  Or more long slow runs with the last 5 miles or so at MP?   It could be that you're still running the majority of your miles too fast?

Brol   I'll have a listen but what position did you get?

Daren - I also banned sky from my house and will now have to see if I can quickly get it back!!!

Edited: 28/11/2012 at 17:45
28/11/2012 at 17:56
Hi gang,

Haven't had a chance to read back properly, will do at the weekend.

Minni yay re your som being filmed, how very exciting! I shall be watching on the big screen at Twickenham, whilst cheering the mighty ABs on

Andy welcome, you'll find lots of advice on here.

Darren - the Brentwood half is very popular, last year it sold out in January, I've run it 6 times, it is definitely my favourite half - love the course, mainly rural, my club marshalls it + are really supportive of the runners. The roundabout at the A12 isn't a huge problem it's about 2 miles in, you just have to listen to the marshalls shouting stay left or whatever, they stop the cars.
28/11/2012 at 18:02

Thanks Kiwi. Sounds good! I think I might have a little drive round the course when I'm in Brentwood over Christmas and then decide if it's flat enough for a PB-chasing Norfolk boy!

28/11/2012 at 18:43
Watched Homeland last night...cracking episode, but that scene must have been embarassing to film

Welcome Andy I'd say your times are in the right area for a good go at sub 3.30 so stick around and give it a go!

Bro - nice podium-ing . Haven't had a chance to listen yet - will download later.
28/11/2012 at 19:10
Minni- 2nd lady but there wasn't much competition this week
Barry- thanks In terms of VLM target at this stage it's sub 3:26:49. It will all depend on how the training goes, if I manage to keep my ribs intact while snowboarding and how hot it is on the day.
I'm on wine again...
28/11/2012 at 19:22
I need to go out and run 9 miles. It's cold and dark and wet....
28/11/2012 at 19:25
Minni- zip up your lady suit
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.