RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,441 to 23,460 of 37,321 messages
28/11/2012 at 19:28

Web link - yeah that looks a bit leftfield - not sure what happened  It was intended for another conversation! Unfortunately I seem to be unable to delete it now

Edited: 28/11/2012 at 19:35
28/11/2012 at 19:57

Trying to read back without seeing Homeland spoilers, I still have to watch last Sunday's episode.

Exciting news Minni. Is Toby Flood going to be there too? I have a bit of a crush...

Freemers/Bro, the hip seems to be fine thanks, just the very occasional twinge. It was the calf that really delayed my comeback in the end. I'm still not risking consecutive days though. Or at least that's my excuse for why I've just had toast and marmalade rather than heading out...

Welcome Andy. I second Spoons, don't get hung up on times but your shorter distance PBs certainly suggest you are due a big leap forward.

28/11/2012 at 20:00
It's ok Weeble nothing is out the bag.

Brolish - you can go off people....

Right I've zipped up and I'm off out.
28/11/2012 at 20:35

And I'm back. Horrible out there. 

28/11/2012 at 21:43

Great report Barry, you've really not lost much time as all in the second half of the race.  Did you have to go back down the 400 steps?  Have faith, that 3:14 will come.  Sometimes I wonder if we all put a bit too much pressure on ourselves to achieve what is essentially just a set of numbers.  If you do run under 3:15, would it matter if it was 3:12 or 3:14?  You'd be over the moon with both.  So why the frustration over the 3:15, 3:16, 3:17 and 3:18? I guess it's like us lot and our 3:29 is happy days but 3:31 is tragic.

Bro - resist the 3M shuffle until the weekend, rest is what it's all about after your marathon.  Enjoy the wine

How exciting Minni, you should be very proud of him.

Welcome Andy  

12 miles tonight, nice night after the flooding chaos earlier this week.  Running with the club tomorrow night (it's a bit strange saying that!) 

28/11/2012 at 22:07
Short visit from me again
Minni- what's it about you and TV do you have an agent. Congrats to Minni jnr. Did I see 5 mile prize too . Everyone is getting awards........except me boo hoo, sob sob
Bro- a completed marathon and a podium place. Well done. Don't run ,rest .Bro - like your new target. Surely your target is to get to a marathon without hassle
Andy - welcome . Sub 3.30 is well possible ...what LRs Ann MLrS will you be doing and what weekly mileage. Don't listen to Darren - he doesn't do marathons....yet
Barry - a little fine tuning and 3.15 is in the bag then you'll leave it well behind you
13.1 k on the TM for me. It's too hot to run outside .
28/11/2012 at 22:11

Weather nice for running here - cold, not too windy and DRY!!

FRC - how could you possibly carry that much electrolytic drink on an ultra - I'd need to take a packhorse [if I thought I needed that much].  I have never drunk anything other than water and the odd cup of tea when it is cold on any ultra - including the 100 mile events.  The sort of ultras that Spoons and I do major on flapjack and cake rather than gels and sports drink 

28/11/2012 at 22:26
It was actually lovely once I got out. Cold and moonlit and deserted streets. Pleased I went now.
28/11/2012 at 23:07
Brol and Barry great reports. Barry, just to second what everyone else has said and 3.15 is there for the taking. You are only a few seconds away. Brol congrats on the podium.

Exciting news about master Minni.

Body pump is a great session.

Welcome Andy.

Chick, hope the knee is better soon.

Quick question for those of you who have recently recovered from knee problems. How quickly could you build things up again? Mine are much better but were sore after my fashionable five and I wonder if it was too much too soon.
28/11/2012 at 23:16
Minni - So the big question. Is 2days enough time for your pedicure, manicure, hairdo, facial, waxing, and vijazzling, ready for your tv appearance on the sidelines on Sat?

Well I'm well p*ssed off, after having to take a couple of days sick last week with the lurgy, I've now got it again this week, even had to use some leave so I don't go sick again from work. Drowning my sorrows in night nurse and lemsips again. I knew I should of got the flu jab the other week.
28/11/2012 at 23:16
O4S ha, sorry, i dont carry that much with me, just top up at the checkpoints. most I'd carry is a litre/ 2 bottles depending on distance to next point. Cup of tea + sugar also lovely, as is any cake, flapjacks, pork pies

I probably do drink more (water!) than you though, different body type? I sweat a fair bit, and also have been border line hypoglaemic when younger, so have to be a little careful. Cake is good

A few friends with flooding in north Wales now, anyone else still having problems?

Circuit done, was v tough. Instead of usual 30-40s intervals, 10-20s rest, was 5 minutes of 5 repeated exercises with no rests between each. Long rest, then 3 more run throughs of 5 different exercises. Ouch. 2 min burpee challenge to finish your legs off. Felt a lot like a mile interval sessions, but energy levels much better tonight than yesterday. Suspect I will sleep tonight though zzzz
28/11/2012 at 23:19
Becs - It may be a case of not how much but how fast you did your 5m. You may need to keep it super slow at first.
Dubai Dave    pirate
29/11/2012 at 04:54

Morning

Minni: so am I going to see a demented blonde jumping up and down on the touchline on Saturday? Or perhaps your planning a streak across the pitch, I know how much you like the celebrity life, Is Nel going to stalk you now?

AndyA: those times show that a 3-30 is doable for you, but you will need to do the hard work.

Barry: I'm with Minni, perhaps a few more longer slower runs with the last 10K at MP might well get you over the line in 3-15. Glad that you ditched the go out fast to get something in the bag plan, that one never works. Carrot is right though its just a time.

So last nights 800's off 1 minute recoveries went 3-03 / 2-58 / 2-59 / 2-57 / 2-57 / 2-58, followed up by 4 x200 off 30 seconds in 42/41/41/38 So consistent pacing and pretty well where I wanted them to be, annoyed about the first 800 though!

Will swim a 2K set today, easy day.

Edited: 29/11/2012 at 04:55
29/11/2012 at 07:11

Carrot - Yeah managed it back down the steps but quads were complaining.  Had the same conversation with my physio yesterday ref times, if I ever get sub 3:15 no doubt I will want 3:10 etc but that's what probably drives me on, but I will learn to be more chilled out about it what we all regularly train for and achieve is the norm to us but it is very impressive compared to the majority of the nation.

Minni/DD - Looked at P&D but don't like the lack of long runs even though some are at MP. So will probably use a Modified RW plan with, as recommended,a few more long ones with some with MP finishes.

29/11/2012 at 07:54

I had forgotten what 6.30am on the bike in temperatures below zero felt like

You are going to love it over here DD   [Mind you the company is ace!]

29/11/2012 at 08:51

It's hard though to just think of it as a number because we always tend to set a target - it just so happens our targets tend to be round numbers, so if you happen to be the wrong side of it there is always going to be that little bit of disappointment. But Barry - you must know how close you are when you consider your time from the first marathon. And then this time I think your pacing was perfect, just that the first marathon caught up with you in the final miles.  You really shouldn't need to do much different next time around (although the idea of putting MP in at the end of your long runs is a good one) and with a little bit of luck and a following wind you really will nail it.

DD - those are really quick 800's...in Yasso terms you are looking at a sub 3 marathon then

Simon - why do you have to take leave if you are sick?  Hope you feel better soon.

Not running today - too much on at work. We have a leaving do for a colleague tonight, but I really need to behave myself as I have a big client meeting tomorrow, and the hangover look is not good

29/11/2012 at 09:09

BTW - I've started a 2013 list on the Team Minni Races spreadsheet 

29/11/2012 at 09:11

On the dehydration debate. It is a very interesting one, and as Cheerful Dave says the weight of evidence seems to be turning to drinking less. I read a fascinating book last year, which I have just dug out again which talks about this and many other exercise science bits authored by Ross Tucker (MT fave) and others. I was going to recommend it for Minni's reading list but forgot.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Runners-Body-Exercise-Stronger/dp/1605298611/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354180077&sr=8-1

DD - those are well rapid 800s.

Edited: 29/11/2012 at 09:12
29/11/2012 at 10:53

Well done Freemers - I've added a couple. Signed up for Brentwood HM this morning  I saw you've got Broadland HM down for 17th Feb - I thought it was 17th March. If it's Feb then I'll definitely do both!

Nice speedy 800s DD!

Very enjoyable easy 7.4 miles for me this morning.

Dubai Dave    pirate
29/11/2012 at 11:05

Freemers: hadn't thought of the 800's in Yasso terms, don't think so somehow! 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.