RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,481 to 23,500 of 37,583 messages
29/11/2012 at 13:50

Spoons -  

29/11/2012 at 13:51

Maybe we can act as bike support, riding alongside Team Minni cheering them on and providing cake on the move. Its even a substantial bike ride  especially as a lot of it is offroad.

But yeah ditto on the ultra thing. Doesn't grab me, a mate of mine is keen to get me to do the Lakeland 50. But come on 50 miles in the dark over the peaks of the Lakes - how is that going to be fun?! And I've read Feet in the Clouds

29/11/2012 at 14:25

Ah Minni, when you said 'weaker' runners what you actually meant was 'faster'

29/11/2012 at 14:33
DarenF wrote (see)

Ah Minni, when you said 'weaker' runners what you actually meant was 'faster'

No, she definitely said weaker

29/11/2012 at 14:53

But of course I meant 'faster'. Slip of the finger.  

Ant - a couple of my untra friends have done the Lakeland 50 and they report it as mega tough.  I think a lot of it is on stony ground making running incredibly hard.

29/11/2012 at 14:55

What was your time on Sunday again Spoons?

29/11/2012 at 14:57

Thanks for the nice welcome all. I will take the advice not to get too hung up about my time - I would say that for now 3:30 is an aspiration rather than a hard target. If I can do a decent PB in the Bath HM I think that will be a good indication that it's a realistic goal. 

For now I will just concentrate on the Santathon in Dagenham on Sunday 

29/11/2012 at 15:48

Andy - Santathon - now you're talking! This it the sort of thread outing that we should be doing

Dubai Dave    pirate
29/11/2012 at 17:06
Come on guys give us older folks a break, we're no longer quick so like to do ultras. Personally wouldn't dream if doing it over two days, from experience its easier to keep going rather than stop ans seize up. From past events I would say the wall is right up Spoons street. A mate of mine ex SAS has already said he's up for it!
29/11/2012 at 20:14

Quite right DD - it would be far harder to do it over 2 days.  These youngsters are real wimps

Santathon???  Does that mean Christmas is coming sometime soon????

29/11/2012 at 20:35

and the good news is it finishes on the Quayside.

29/11/2012 at 21:15
I think I could manage the wall thing... if I could take two years

Simon, hope you are feeling better now. Unfortunately I don't think going too fast was the problem as I was only just going faster than 11min mile pace.
29/11/2012 at 21:23
Freemers - who do you think is going to win IACGMOOH? I've almost have to support Charlie because she stalked me and AA in London but I live the other three too.
29/11/2012 at 21:34
After 13 days with only one glass of wine I've ruined it all tonight at a wine and cheese party. It was at my house and I was the only one there but still good!
29/11/2012 at 22:00
Hi All
Andy- don't believe the advice not to get hung up over time. It's really the most important thing in life here after beer and wine and getting Darren to run 26.2
Minni/ DD- can we run Hadrians wall dressed as Romans.? I might trip on my toga though.
Minni- does the Santathon finish on the Quayside?
DD- cracking intervals
Simon - get well soon. It's not good working for big brother
FRC - how do you recover so quickly from all the races you run? I can just about do one a month.
Is anyone else left to do a marathon this year?
Busy day today - 7 mile hilly run,2.1 k sea swim ,20 k exercise bike. ,2k ergo row. Think I've earnt my wine tonight .enjoy yours Minni
Edited: 29/11/2012 at 22:01
29/11/2012 at 22:20

Evening all. Fartlek tonight with lots of hills. Nearly killed me

oh, and today is marathon training day 1 apparently.....

Dubai Dave    pirate
30/11/2012 at 06:03

Morning All

Its Friday so it must be race day Super Sports 5 miles

This is run in the grounds of some of Dubai's finest 5 star establishments around the Burj Al Arab ( the one that looks like a sail) , so a 2 lap run along the twisting hotel paths next to the Persian Gulf. Far to many twists and turns for real PB territory but I have only ever raced 5 miles once before and my time of 34-22 is very soft.

0700 stood on the start line in conditions you lot would probably love 20C and pissing down, fork lightening crashing around. A quick check of my age group rivals reveals club mate Ben undefeated in the M50+ for the past two years ( probably helps that he is originally from Somalia and looks remarkably like Mo's older brother, which of course he may actually be) and Craig who isn't actually 50 but will be before the end of the race series in May and is thus classified as M50. The others are insignificant in the greater scheme of things. The hooter sounds and I immediately tuck in behind Craig whilst watching Ben start to disappear into the distance. 1K 3-58, 2K 4-06, sharp U turn at the tennis courts, returning to the start point dodging various hotel golf buggies and tourists out to watch the thunderstorm, 3K 4-07, 4K 4-02 back to the start point and another sharp u turn still on Craigs heels and not too far behind Ben. The course is primarily a brick surface which is getting very slippery in the rain, out on the second lap and my breathing isn't quite where it should be. 5K 4-06, 6K 4-12, Starting to fall back off Craig but caught 1st lady 7K 4-10, 8.1K 4-09 Finished in 32-52 , 12th Overall but only 3rd M50+

So a PB, but that was hardly a suprise, target was somewhere between 32 & 33 mins so towards the wrong end of the scale but then the twists and U turns must be worth another 20 secs so pretty well where i thought I was.

30/11/2012 at 06:52

6:30 ish pace for 5 miles sounds OK to me. Well done DD. 

Currently my marathon goal time for Brighton is 3:35..... 

30/11/2012 at 06:59
Worth at least another 20 secs DD. Well raced, fab time and great position.

Hard frost here this morning. Waiting for the car to defrost. Brrrrr
30/11/2012 at 09:05

Great racing DD. Some speedy M50's out there

Minni - IACGMOOH...I'd say Charlie should win as she seems genuinely nice and runs marathons of course, but I'm not sure she'll get the popular vote (the guys will vote Ashley and girls David?).  Not that I am taking this at all seriously

I survived last night's party with no hangover, so ready to run later

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.