RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,501 to 23,520 of 37,214 messages
30/11/2012 at 09:11

Alright peeps. Nice running DD

Target nailed to the mast already Spoons

I'm going to try for a sub 20 at a YKW in a couple of weeks. For no reason other that getting it in before marathon training is in full swing. I have PBed at every distance so far this year, so it could be on. The Parkrun I have in mind is pretty flat, unlike the hilly handicap so I hope that helps. 

Anyway I am trying to work out my readiness for this and am doing 1000m repeats at target 5K pace. Last night I did 4 x 1000 - 3:55, 3:55, 3:58, 3:57, with 2:30 recoveries. Will aim to do 5 x 1000 next week at same pace.

Any of you quick types have any opinion on whether this is an adequate test? I appreciate that this is going to be on a knife edge either way - nothing ventured, nothing gained though!

30/11/2012 at 09:25

Ant - go for it!

Freemers / Daren - either of you doing Beccles 10 mile Turkey Trot on 16th December?

30/11/2012 at 09:35
Minni wrote (see)
After 13 days with only one glass of wine I've ruined it all tonight at a wine and cheese party. It was at my house and I was the only one there but still good!

Wow Minni- that's a result!!! Is it going to be a permanent thing?  I haven't got off wine since Sunday and not planning to for the rest of the week.

Simon- hope you're feeling better today.

2Old- nice session yesterday.

Spoons- wohoo on day 1 of mara training

DD- great racing and congrats on the PB

Free- well done on no hangover.  Enjoy your run later.

Ant- these sound like very fast reps to me.

How about a forum outing to the Thunder Run24? It's a cracking event and everyone can decide what sort of ratio of drinking to running they want to employ.  We did it last year with team Gazelle and had a great time.

30/11/2012 at 09:43

Spoons, no, won't be doing the Turkey Trot. Got a footy match that day. Shame, I really should get a 10-miler raced sometime.

Ant, good pace on those reps. Go for the sub-20 - what have you got to lose? As for whether it's a good test, it depends how the reps felt I guess - did you feel like you'd possibly be able to keep that pace up for 5k in a race? I would probably shorten the recoveries a bit next week - if you could do 5 x 1k at that pace with say 90 secs recovery I'd be betting on you going sub-20.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
30/11/2012 at 09:58

Happy Friday Everyone!!

Spoons - i always love day 1 of marathon training - like starting a new notepad  
ps - is there some thinking behind the 3.35 target?

Stonking run DD - your consistent results are always inspirational

How is the excitement in the minni household holding up? my sky box is set to record

Ant  - absolutely go for the sub 20 - you're definately quick enough!
i liked your point about pb'ing at most distances this year. I think we're all now quite focussed on what's coming in the spring, and i certainly feel a long way off where i wamt to be at the start of the cycle but its definately worth remembering what has been achieved by everyone on here in 2012! there has been a incredible string of performances right through the year!

30/11/2012 at 09:59

Spoons - no, I can't make that day. I've not done it before, but it's probably quite a nice route if they still to the minor roads and lanes. It's a shame I can't do it as it is pretty close to me!

Ant - sounds like you are well on the way to the sub 20, just go for it!

30/11/2012 at 10:26

Cheers all. Will go hell for leather. Even if I miss sub 20 - I should end up with a decent PB. I will also try shortening the recoveries next week as suggested by Daren.

Just hope we don't have any of the darn wind on the day!

30/11/2012 at 11:31

Nice one, DD . Does 3rd old bloke get you any bling?

Had a horrible day at work yesterday and quickly skimmed over yesterday's posts. Seems like everyone is making 2013 plans .

Knee definitely on the mend. It barely hurts now. I will try a gentle run on it tomorrow. If I am able to get up that is. It's our office xmas pardee tonight . So I expect a mahoosive hangover for tomorrow . Anyway, I could do the running and puking and then feel great thing again

30/11/2012 at 11:36
M.r Zuvai    pirate
30/11/2012 at 11:40
Brolish wrote (see)

How about a forum outing to the Thunder Run24? It's a cracking event and everyone can decide what sort of ratio of drinking to running they want to employ.  We did it last year with team Gazelle and had a great time.

Im very keen! who wouldn't want to take part in a 24hr race on thier birthday!

30/11/2012 at 11:50

Mind you he was running a marathon a day!

Thunder Run - there's a chance we might be entering a ladies team from my running club, I know a few are keen.  We would have to set up camp beside you guys.   I'll see if its going to go ahead....

M.r Zuvai    pirate
30/11/2012 at 11:55

oh jebus!  - that's not going to get competitive at all!

30/11/2012 at 11:59
2old - Are you mad doing a 2k sea swim in this weather, or have I missed that you're on holiday in the Maldives!

DD - Nice race, only 3rd M50, I suppose you only won a Hummer for that!

Ant - Go for it, it's only 20mins of pain.

Chick - Glad the knee is on the mend.

Minni - IACGMOOH Don't watch it, like BB, it's so last decade lol.

O4S - Commuting in this weather must be a bit fresh.

I'm off down the gym later for a steam, to try and get rid of the lurgy again.
30/11/2012 at 12:49
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

is there some thinking behind the 3.35 target?

Based on recent training and races. Obviously my fitness levels are massively lower than they were this time last year

30/11/2012 at 12:55

Hope you get delurgified soon, Simon. Your employer seems very strict in terms of sick days ...

A marathon a day seems a tad excessive ...  mind you, just 30-50 mins exercise a day is booooring . Hardly worth getting changed for!

Edited: 30/11/2012 at 12:56
M.r Zuvai    pirate
30/11/2012 at 12:57

if we're to base predictions on current fitness then i should be targeting 6hrs!!

come April you're going to be substantially fitter - and you wont have the VLM crowds to put up with..

30/11/2012 at 13:12

Daren - Just looked at that New Years Day race you are racing next year. Bloody hell, the winner did it in 31 minutes last year! Doesn't anyone get pissed in Norfolk on NYE?! 

30/11/2012 at 13:26

Daren, sure you could do Hadrians wall 67-69 miles. Just run it as 5 halfs? Simples. You peg each one, we catch you up.

DD, nice 5 miles, in km markers? Not sure what you mean about older & slower. You're plenty fast. Think you meant wiser.

Ant - go for it. Get that sub 20 PB in 2012

Brol, Thunder Run - our 2 teams are pretty crammed with OHs already if everyone returns plus other friends, but Mr Zuvai and a few others could squeeze in. kcs already interested a few pages back.
Mr Zuvai, its for fun, not race. Minni If its a competitive team ideally you camp close to start line for fast change overs. We were a 10 minute walk away, furthest!

2old, how do I recover? good question, still working on the answer Think the circuits, S&C help, but i carefully watch my energy levels, my training probably not that different to Daren - but with marathons. Haven't used by HRM for ages, but have this week to gauge things.

Did I mention the top field 10k at end of December I have entered? Last year top 28 all under 31 minutes, top 60 people under 33 minutes - Brownlee brother raced but 2nd. Fast! Winner Jonny Mellor I've done running bootcamps with - did it in 29.10. Got to be some running to get that sub 40 10k 

Who is racing this weekend?

30/11/2012 at 13:52

FRC - I can guarantee it will be a competitive team!   but surely it doesn't matter where you camp?  I'd expect the next runner to be there ready and waiting for the previous one coming in. Or do you run to your tent?  Surely there is a change over line/spot?

We've run a few relay races as a club (ladies):  Great Glen Crossing: From Fort William to , 4 or 5 times.  And the Monster Duathlon: Around Loch Ness, 2 times.    I love the long distance relays - waiting for the runners to come in, doing your best for your team.  Great fun.

30/11/2012 at 13:57

FRC - wow, that sounds like a quality race. Which one is it?

Ant P wrote (see)

Daren - Just looked at that New Years Day race you are racing next year. Bloody hell, the winner did it in 31 minutes last year! Doesn't anyone get pissed in Norfolk on NYE?! 

Of course not

Much better run today, started very slow and gradually picked up the pace, all very comfortable.

I'm thinking possibly about doing the Norwich YKW tomorrow. Not sure yet - forecast is a bit grim, very cold with sleet...so I might wimp out! I'll see how I feel in the morning.  Sunday I'm planning around 15 miles - going to map out some new routes so might experiment a bit, just hope I don't get lost!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.