RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,501 to 23,520 of 36,113 messages
Dubai Dave    pirate
29/11/2012 at 17:06
Come on guys give us older folks a break, we're no longer quick so like to do ultras. Personally wouldn't dream if doing it over two days, from experience its easier to keep going rather than stop ans seize up. From past events I would say the wall is right up Spoons street. A mate of mine ex SAS has already said he's up for it!
29/11/2012 at 20:14

Quite right DD - it would be far harder to do it over 2 days.  These youngsters are real wimps

Santathon???  Does that mean Christmas is coming sometime soon????

29/11/2012 at 20:35

and the good news is it finishes on the Quayside.

29/11/2012 at 21:15
I think I could manage the wall thing... if I could take two years

Simon, hope you are feeling better now. Unfortunately I don't think going too fast was the problem as I was only just going faster than 11min mile pace.
29/11/2012 at 21:23
Freemers - who do you think is going to win IACGMOOH? I've almost have to support Charlie because she stalked me and AA in London but I live the other three too.
29/11/2012 at 21:34
After 13 days with only one glass of wine I've ruined it all tonight at a wine and cheese party. It was at my house and I was the only one there but still good!
29/11/2012 at 22:00
Hi All
Andy- don't believe the advice not to get hung up over time. It's really the most important thing in life here after beer and wine and getting Darren to run 26.2
Minni/ DD- can we run Hadrians wall dressed as Romans.? I might trip on my toga though.
Minni- does the Santathon finish on the Quayside?
DD- cracking intervals
Simon - get well soon. It's not good working for big brother
FRC - how do you recover so quickly from all the races you run? I can just about do one a month.
Is anyone else left to do a marathon this year?
Busy day today - 7 mile hilly run,2.1 k sea swim ,20 k exercise bike. ,2k ergo row. Think I've earnt my wine tonight .enjoy yours Minni
Edited: 29/11/2012 at 22:01
29/11/2012 at 22:20

Evening all. Fartlek tonight with lots of hills. Nearly killed me

oh, and today is marathon training day 1 apparently.....

Dubai Dave    pirate
30/11/2012 at 06:03

Morning All

Its Friday so it must be race day Super Sports 5 miles

This is run in the grounds of some of Dubai's finest 5 star establishments around the Burj Al Arab ( the one that looks like a sail) , so a 2 lap run along the twisting hotel paths next to the Persian Gulf. Far to many twists and turns for real PB territory but I have only ever raced 5 miles once before and my time of 34-22 is very soft.

0700 stood on the start line in conditions you lot would probably love 20C and pissing down, fork lightening crashing around. A quick check of my age group rivals reveals club mate Ben undefeated in the M50+ for the past two years ( probably helps that he is originally from Somalia and looks remarkably like Mo's older brother, which of course he may actually be) and Craig who isn't actually 50 but will be before the end of the race series in May and is thus classified as M50. The others are insignificant in the greater scheme of things. The hooter sounds and I immediately tuck in behind Craig whilst watching Ben start to disappear into the distance. 1K 3-58, 2K 4-06, sharp U turn at the tennis courts, returning to the start point dodging various hotel golf buggies and tourists out to watch the thunderstorm, 3K 4-07, 4K 4-02 back to the start point and another sharp u turn still on Craigs heels and not too far behind Ben. The course is primarily a brick surface which is getting very slippery in the rain, out on the second lap and my breathing isn't quite where it should be. 5K 4-06, 6K 4-12, Starting to fall back off Craig but caught 1st lady 7K 4-10, 8.1K 4-09 Finished in 32-52 , 12th Overall but only 3rd M50+

So a PB, but that was hardly a suprise, target was somewhere between 32 & 33 mins so towards the wrong end of the scale but then the twists and U turns must be worth another 20 secs so pretty well where i thought I was.

30/11/2012 at 06:52

6:30 ish pace for 5 miles sounds OK to me. Well done DD. 

Currently my marathon goal time for Brighton is 3:35..... 

30/11/2012 at 06:59
Worth at least another 20 secs DD. Well raced, fab time and great position.

Hard frost here this morning. Waiting for the car to defrost. Brrrrr
30/11/2012 at 09:05

Great racing DD. Some speedy M50's out there

Minni - IACGMOOH...I'd say Charlie should win as she seems genuinely nice and runs marathons of course, but I'm not sure she'll get the popular vote (the guys will vote Ashley and girls David?).  Not that I am taking this at all seriously

I survived last night's party with no hangover, so ready to run later

30/11/2012 at 09:11

Alright peeps. Nice running DD

Target nailed to the mast already Spoons

I'm going to try for a sub 20 at a YKW in a couple of weeks. For no reason other that getting it in before marathon training is in full swing. I have PBed at every distance so far this year, so it could be on. The Parkrun I have in mind is pretty flat, unlike the hilly handicap so I hope that helps. 

Anyway I am trying to work out my readiness for this and am doing 1000m repeats at target 5K pace. Last night I did 4 x 1000 - 3:55, 3:55, 3:58, 3:57, with 2:30 recoveries. Will aim to do 5 x 1000 next week at same pace.

Any of you quick types have any opinion on whether this is an adequate test? I appreciate that this is going to be on a knife edge either way - nothing ventured, nothing gained though!

30/11/2012 at 09:25

Ant - go for it!

Freemers / Daren - either of you doing Beccles 10 mile Turkey Trot on 16th December?

30/11/2012 at 09:35
Minni wrote (see)
After 13 days with only one glass of wine I've ruined it all tonight at a wine and cheese party. It was at my house and I was the only one there but still good!

Wow Minni- that's a result!!! Is it going to be a permanent thing?  I haven't got off wine since Sunday and not planning to for the rest of the week.

Simon- hope you're feeling better today.

2Old- nice session yesterday.

Spoons- wohoo on day 1 of mara training

DD- great racing and congrats on the PB

Free- well done on no hangover.  Enjoy your run later.

Ant- these sound like very fast reps to me.

How about a forum outing to the Thunder Run24? It's a cracking event and everyone can decide what sort of ratio of drinking to running they want to employ.  We did it last year with team Gazelle and had a great time.

30/11/2012 at 09:43

Spoons, no, won't be doing the Turkey Trot. Got a footy match that day. Shame, I really should get a 10-miler raced sometime.

Ant, good pace on those reps. Go for the sub-20 - what have you got to lose? As for whether it's a good test, it depends how the reps felt I guess - did you feel like you'd possibly be able to keep that pace up for 5k in a race? I would probably shorten the recoveries a bit next week - if you could do 5 x 1k at that pace with say 90 secs recovery I'd be betting on you going sub-20.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
30/11/2012 at 09:58

Happy Friday Everyone!!

Spoons - i always love day 1 of marathon training - like starting a new notepad  
ps - is there some thinking behind the 3.35 target?

Stonking run DD - your consistent results are always inspirational

How is the excitement in the minni household holding up? my sky box is set to record

Ant  - absolutely go for the sub 20 - you're definately quick enough!
i liked your point about pb'ing at most distances this year. I think we're all now quite focussed on what's coming in the spring, and i certainly feel a long way off where i wamt to be at the start of the cycle but its definately worth remembering what has been achieved by everyone on here in 2012! there has been a incredible string of performances right through the year!

30/11/2012 at 09:59

Spoons - no, I can't make that day. I've not done it before, but it's probably quite a nice route if they still to the minor roads and lanes. It's a shame I can't do it as it is pretty close to me!

Ant - sounds like you are well on the way to the sub 20, just go for it!

30/11/2012 at 10:26

Cheers all. Will go hell for leather. Even if I miss sub 20 - I should end up with a decent PB. I will also try shortening the recoveries next week as suggested by Daren.

Just hope we don't have any of the darn wind on the day!

30/11/2012 at 11:31

Nice one, DD . Does 3rd old bloke get you any bling?

Had a horrible day at work yesterday and quickly skimmed over yesterday's posts. Seems like everyone is making 2013 plans .

Knee definitely on the mend. It barely hurts now. I will try a gentle run on it tomorrow. If I am able to get up that is. It's our office xmas pardee tonight . So I expect a mahoosive hangover for tomorrow . Anyway, I could do the running and puking and then feel great thing again

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.