RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,721 to 23,740 of 36,947 messages
04/12/2012 at 15:49

Hi Sarah and welcome. VLM for me with an outside chance of New York but may not happen as Brolish's trials and tribulations with this year's event have me questioning whether it's a good idea.

AA - Sorry, missed your earlier post re your run route... Be safe out there and keep changing route and time of run if you can.

I don't need to worry... The orange face and white eyebrows scares the living sh*t out of any would-be muggers every time!!!

04/12/2012 at 16:04

Bliddy gas leak...still no hot water and no run therefore. Oh well, not going to stress about it...will get some miles in tomorrow hopefully.

Welcome Sarah - you are in the right place for a sub 3.30 . VLM and (possibly) something in the autumn for me.  Jantastic is a "spring motivation" campaign run by Marathon Talk (worth listening to their weekly podcasts if you've not come across them before) - you basically set goals for January, February and March based on the number of runs you're going to do each week, and then you get points for sticking to your goals.  We have a team as there is a "no prizes" competition running, just for a bit of fun...so sign yourself up...but only if you promise to log all your runs otherwise Minni will be on the warpath   So what's your running background / marathon experience so far?

AA - sounds scary. Panic alarm not a bad idea if you're worried.

04/12/2012 at 16:19

HHOompa- not to worry, I'm not doing NY next year so you're safe.

04/12/2012 at 17:28
Bro - what happened with that in the end did you all get a guarenteed free entry or are they not compensating anyone?
04/12/2012 at 17:43
They're still pondering what to do... I sort of lost interest
04/12/2012 at 17:51

Hahah, fit running cat , no one has asked yet but im more than happy to share, although I have been advised to set a thread up tomorrow as part of the competition so everyone is able to grill me and find out more about me.

Basically I was sort of brought up with running...both my parents ran/raced and use to drag me with them. I thought they were alittle mad and it didnt catch on until I left uni. I started going to the gym after uni to keep fit and hated everything but the treadmil. From there I did more and more running and less of everything else until i became hooked. I love running now and really couldnt imagine my life without it. I did my first 10k 28 months ago and have done several since. My current PB for a 10k is 43:21 (leeds abbey dash) but i feel that I could do better as I enjoyed it far too much. My half PB at the moment is 1:35:46 (worksop half) and my marathon PB (only marathon ive done) is 3:47:45 (VLM this year). I had originally aimed for a sub 3:30 but due to getting whooping cough I couldnt train throughout feb. Have I bored you yet?? Im a member of two running clubs, the first Maltby (60+ miles from where I live) are my first claim - they do some fabulous trips and are the club my parents were in. My second claim are knavesmires but I have only just joined them. I had joined them hoping that I might make some of the club runs and training sessions (rather than having to go to the gym and run on the treadmil) but at the moment ive only been to a few sessions and done one cross country for them due to work.

I know that you all know each other well and that this will make you repeat things but could you tell me alittle more about you guys?

HHH, NY would be amazing, but I guess with what happended this year it may be impossible to get a place next year. I would still try though!

I cant believe how many people are doing VLM, its great - will you all be starting at the good for age start?

Jantastic sounds fun, I will have a look at it tonight if I get time thankyou

04/12/2012 at 18:01

Sarah - sub 3:30 definitely within your grasp.  Look forward to reading your thread when its up and running.  Remember if you don't get through in the end there is also the Forum Six, which is also a great scheme to help you get your goal.  This thread was set up 2 years ago when I was chosen as the sub 3:30 contender with DD mentoring me.  Most of the others on here came over from the sub 3:30 thread that had been running for a few years so we all are there or there about.

Yes, all the ladies are on the green!

The most important thing about Jantastic is to achieve your goals, that should be challenging but realistic. 

Must dash - I need to do the killer.....

04/12/2012 at 20:16
sarah osborne 4 wrote (see)

I cant believe how many people are doing VLM, its great - will you all be starting at the good for age start?

No - VLM isn't great. It's a horrible race. Probably the worst marathon I've ever done twice. 

04/12/2012 at 20:17

Anyway - tonight was 15 minutes out and back with a small mountain in the middle to climb. Just missed the hailstorm too

04/12/2012 at 21:34

Oompa Jantastic is very motivating if you're in a team. Mainly because we will remind you that it's definitely not a competition if you start to falter and because it's all about the taking part, it's nice to hear our name read out as leaders every week, just to check we've been taking part correctly of course. Although the good thing about the scoring is that for large teams like ours a couple of people dropping off the bottom doesn't effect it.

Welcome Sarah. Have you got any halves booked in before VLM?

Eight miles tonight. I still need to add another running a day a week, but the past week has been the first time that I haven't thought Brighton is a daft idea.

Carrot I'm very jealous of all your gigs.

AA that's horrible. Do you know any details about time of day etc?

04/12/2012 at 21:41

Another nice one Weelbe.

10 miles for me including the killer session that started with 2 miles 7:06 and gradually cut down to 0.25m @ 6:15.  I was out with the club and we all warmed up together but then only two others did the killer bit with me.  Both men, one slightly faster the other slightly slower, which was ideal.  They both enjoyed (well you know, hated it really but enjoyed the feeling when it was finished) and it was great to do a session like this with others. 

They both was more on a Tuesday night so that's good news for me.

04/12/2012 at 21:43

Jantastic

The team is Team Minni.

04/12/2012 at 21:45
Nice summary Sarah. You're nearly identical 10k, half & marathon times to where I was to go sub 3:30 this year on my 2nd marathon (here) so well within your range, very doable.

I'm doing VLM also, but not GFA, that's a pesky sub 3:10 for us men. Although 2old and I think Spoons have done that on here? That's my target for the future.

Other thing, some forum names are changed just for Xmas... So Oompa is HHH and so on... So could get a bit confusing when you try and work out who AA or Chic or others are.

Very wet & cold along the sea front tonight. 4 mile warm up to club with backpack then 6.5 mile fartlek, all sub 6mm pace. Still with the top group at moment, a good 12-14 of us tonight even in the rain. Brrr. Now sat in front of a lovely toasty wood burning stove. Off to look for some marshmallows...
04/12/2012 at 21:46

Jantastic

Edited: 04/12/2012 at 21:47
04/12/2012 at 21:48

Bugger that's not working. 

www.marathontalk.com

04/12/2012 at 21:59

We always change our names at Christmas.  Its just what we do here. 

For some reason mine won't change to my usual name. 

04/12/2012 at 22:14

So that was my birthday - another non event.  Started with an e-mail at 7.30am [yes I was at my desk] asking me to cover three hours of tutorials for a woman whose son was unwell.  This is the third time I have had to cover her for 'sick child syndrome' - she had better not want time off for some hideous nativity play, where said chile is the back end of a camel / wiseman etc

The day just went downhill from there, although we did get a reasonable run in after freezing to death on the bikes on both legs of the commute.  Had to make my own birthday dinner [decided against the option of BA heating up a tin of beans in the microwave] and share my present - chocolate buttons.  Despite ploughing my way through the lot I failed to find the hidden diamond 

04/12/2012 at 22:20
Oh O4S happy birthday! We should have come down and surprised you x
04/12/2012 at 22:21
Minni- brilliant session
O4S- happy birthday!!! Or what's left of it...sorry to hear it wasn't the best day.
04/12/2012 at 22:32
O4S - Happy Birthday, glad you enjoyed your choccies. Please stop getting older, you just make us look like crapper runners!

FRC - I've got a HH half zip high neck freeze top, which has some merino wool in it for some warmth aswell, soooooooo soft and warm. Probably too hot for normal running, but ideal for ultras.

Sarah - Well done in getting thru to the short list. I got thru to bootcamp last year, but didn't get shortlisted. The 5k track sess with Steve straight after lunch was a killer. I'm doing Manchester which is the week after VLM.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.