RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,801 to 23,820 of 37,089 messages
05/12/2012 at 22:59
And a belated Happy Birthday O4S! Hope you are feeling better soon.
05/12/2012 at 23:03
DS2- Yes saw it. I think the conclusion is there's too many tossers on he roads, whether on 2, or 4 wheels.

Carot - Nice 11m, was there any snow left or was it slush?

Bro/Gazelle - Where abouts are you skiing, or boarding? Hopefully you'll be too knackered to go running, cus you'll have 2foot of fresh powder every night. If you've got time for running, the snows crap!
05/12/2012 at 23:07

Thankyou ever so much again to all those voting for me and for DS2. I really do appreciate it and wont let you down if I get through. And as DS2 said about me, I met him on friday and he is a great guy

Gazelle....I love your idea of being a cheerleader but I cant even do a cartwheel, am I allowed to just wear the gear and wave my arms around?

Haha thanks Spoons I do like this thread and the people on it so I will be sticking around

Becs I know I dont really know you yet, but congratulations.

Merry carrotmas - thankyou for the advice. My sister in law was stuck in traffic for hours trying to get home today, been told that the ice and snow was awful so it may well be called off. I hadnt even considered them being cancelled, so thankyou for the heads up. Congratulations aswell on getting into the brass monkey...we could all meet up afterwards for coffee and cake!

05/12/2012 at 23:45
Sarah - Be warned, they don't do coffee and cake on this thread. It's meet up the night before, get shit faced. Do race, meet up afterwards, get shit faced. I'm too much oF a lightweight to drink with them lol.
06/12/2012 at 00:09
It's true Simon! And your day is coming .... You're going to have to drink with us and race with us!

Right gang, here's something to do sitting at your desk tomorrow. Circle your right foot in a clockwise direction and with your right hand draw a number 6 in the air. See what happens to your foot.,..
06/12/2012 at 01:00
Voted for DS2 and Sarah.
Sarah I do cake & coffee to refuel & warm up, then maybe a few beers.

I have heard of the guy aiming for 2:20, Ricky Challinor, he runs for a club nearby, even in some of the league races I do, and is very fast - but will already be coached, so a bit cheeky. Power of 10 stats here, including a 71 min half marathon which wasn't a race effort or trained for supposedly.
Voted for someone else. He's a professional athlete nearly, national standard. Doesn't need this.

BecsA congrats! Fabulous.

O4S, doctors for you, quite a few with chest problems that won't clear.

Gazelle, very wise finding out what resort Brol is going to, risk of a heat wave or skiing cancelled?
Dubai Dave    pirate
06/12/2012 at 04:43

Morning

Voted for Sarah, DS2, Lady tugging at my Heartstrings and ignored 2-20 man on exactly the same basis as everyone else.

Becs: Congrats

Minni: Tried your test, interesting

Have finally got the sore throat that my kids have had for two weeks, hopefully its not going to screw up my race tomorrow. Someone upstairs clearly doesn't want me to cycle this week, went out again last night and two more punctures and then I found the bulge in the sidewall!  Rest day today, I haven't had a week this easy in a long time! 

06/12/2012 at 07:11

Minni - tried your test. Weird.

I didn't run last night I got drunk instead It was cold, wet and snowing so I tucked up warm with the CNBA fairy and the OH A threesome perhaps?

06/12/2012 at 07:21
I'm going to get to work but by the looks of the forecast I might not get back. Packed a bag just in case, containing my running gear of course!
Edited: 06/12/2012 at 07:22
06/12/2012 at 07:47
Haha....I'm happy to do drinks after the race but I haven't yet mastered (or dared to master) drinks the night before. Any tips?x

Hope you manage to get home ok minni, I was hoping to go to the track today (for the first time after enjoying it so much on Friday), but it might be weather permitting!
06/12/2012 at 08:27

Minni -  How far do you live from work, when we had snow last year I ran in and ran home but its only 3.5 miles.

06/12/2012 at 08:37
sarah osborne 4 wrote (see)
Haha....I'm happy to do drinks after the race but I haven't yet mastered (or dared to master) drinks the night before. Any tips?x

Practice.....

06/12/2012 at 08:41

I struggle with drinks the night before nowadays but many years ago I worked for the sponsors of the Great North Run and so got a free place and the night before we stayed in the same hotel as the elites.

We met them in the bar - they were on orange juice and ...well...we weren't. Drinks were all on the company and we were about 23 so not a clever situation

Got to bed absolutely slaughtered at 4am and had to be on the bus to get to the start at 6!

Managed a 1:27. In the VIP tent afterwards the winner of the race Rob De Castella (google him if you've never heard of him) came over to congratulate us for finishing. he couldn't believe that we even made the bus when he saw us getting  on in the morning. Even more so when he heard our times.

Oh the benefit of youth

Sadly, now I can't run at all after a night on the beer

Edited: 06/12/2012 at 08:41
06/12/2012 at 10:33

I'll confess to doing a few LSRs on a hangover, but never raced with one (yet).  We were very good before the Town Moor - one beer  . Can't say how many afterwards

Becs - congratulations on your news

I think I got away with the lack of a shower yesterday - no one commented, or maybe they were just being polite? Anyway I can say that the showers are OK today so will be going out for a little jaunt later.

I just don't understand the logic of 2.20 man entering this competition. He must be coached, so his current coach isn't going to want the RW coaches overuling him surely? Anyway, no sign of a thread from him yet, and if he doesn't engage with people he'll never get the votes.

06/12/2012 at 10:55

Becs congrats on the impending.

Beers and races - one beer the night before seems to be good - dunno about more than that!

Am modifying my marathon plan and thinking about only doing 3 x 20 but putting a whole stack of long runs incorporating PMP. Decisions decisions - seems like a big call, but the weight of evidence does seem to be turning.

06/12/2012 at 11:26

Blimey, that female runner's tale is rather disconcerting. I have a taser, maybe I should reactivate it and carry it with me, just in case

Lots of snow here too. I will leave work early and get my run in the snow in. Looking forward to that. Had a bad night: mum ended up in hospital after collapsing in the sauna. She bumped her head and needed stitching. She's fine now but hell, that gave me a fright!

Becs: many congrats on your engagement

AntP: MP is all important. Try and get as much in as you can. I'm sure it helped me to crack 3:30 much more than speedwork or tempo runs.

Oompa: wow, your new clubmate sounds well scary. Glad your run was pain-free.

I've had a few rough races and runs after a night on the lash but never before an A race . Generally the hangover improves after running. It may sometimes involve throwing up into the bushes though

06/12/2012 at 12:16

Chick - She IS scary! A bit of cyber-staking revealed she finished 15th in her age group at IM world champs!!!

06/12/2012 at 12:24

06/12/2012 at 12:38

HHO I would love to be that good!

When I did the coastal run this year a friend of mine had drank far too much wine the night before. She couldnt stomach breakfast and looked dreadful around the course....its kind of put me off having a load before a race but Ive found one bottle of fruit cidar the night before helps...had one before my 10k and 1/2 PB's! Ive been drunk the night before a training run, was ok for the first half but then suffered mid way and ended up laid out in the woods...that was over a year ago now though...learnt from that little mistake!

DS2 you was hard core!

06/12/2012 at 12:45

barry - 20 miles but a section of that is on the A1 so wouldn't fancy running it in the snow.  I have run it several other times though.

I'm on the wagon for now.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.