RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

23,921 to 23,940 of 37,089 messages
08/12/2012 at 16:19
SBC I hope they do cancel your run in those conditions, it sounds suicidal!

Minni, my PB for a half is just under 1:36, course was undulating and it was shortly after a 2 week holiday and a break from running (wasn't safe to go on my own, had no one to go with and there was no gym at my hotel, it was awful, i was like a bear with a sore head). What would you suggest for the other quality sessions?
08/12/2012 at 16:37
Sarah- what I'm trying to say is that if you can run 12m at this pace before you even started training and are finding it rather easy I think you have a good chance of smashing your target. Looks like your hm time is also up for an update Have you heard of 'Advanced Marathoning' by Pfitzinger and Douglas? If not, I would definitely add it to your Christmas shopping list. It has great schedules and lots of useful info. A few of us used their schedules and have been very successful. Even if you end up being coached and get a programme written for you it's still worth giving it a read.
08/12/2012 at 16:43

The grey seals are all having their pups at the minute so we've been out for a walk this afternoon having a look. Very cute. 

Off to running club Xmas party tonight and I may have a beer or three....

08/12/2012 at 16:46
5m xc done. Mr B didn't want to let me back into the house again, too muddy And then I had a long hot bath (sorry Shaggy!).
I actually really enjoyed it today. Was told not to race it by the boss but run at around MP effort. Probably went harder than that but held back a bit which was nice for a change. My usual approach to xc is to go out like a bat in hell and try to hold on for dear life which guarantees a rather painful experience.
08/12/2012 at 16:47
Chick- good luck tomorrow if it goes ahead and be careful!
08/12/2012 at 18:13
Aw, thank you Brolish. I havent heard of it but i will certainly add it on to my ever expanding Christmas list....it gets longer every year, although this year most of it's content is running related. Congratulations on a good run.

Spoons, The seals sound lush, adult seals scar me a little but the pubs are so cute. Hope you have fun at your Xmas party.
08/12/2012 at 18:40

Hi Gang - popping in to report that there is nothing much to report!!  Went to Doc on Friday, pretty inconclusive.  Might have very slight chest infection, but nothing that would explain other symptoms so took an armful of blood and give me a peak flow meter to use for a few days to get a few readings.  Was told to exercise if I wanted at a very modest pace and just see how I felt.  Went for a 4 mile run on the flat yesterday at around 9mm - 9.30mm and although felt tired and a bit chesty was otherwise OK.  Walked for 4 hours today, a few hills but nothing serious - again OK, but feel absolutely wiped out all the time so something is clearly not right.

I hope you will all be pleased to note that we are getting into the spirit of our forum names and bought 2 'Bah Humbug' hats at Poundland!

M.r Zuvai    pirate
08/12/2012 at 19:26
Brolish wrote (see)
Just finished reading Chrissie Wellington's 'A life without limits' and feeling totally inspired. What an amazing woman.
It's looking nice out there for my 5m xc later.

a great read - slightly gutted she's announced her retirement this week - her achievements have been criminally under sold by the media

has she inspired you enough to join the darkside?? 

Brolish wrote (see)
Morning everyone
Managed to abandon the Christmas party before it went all downhill so happy to report no dirty dancing and no hangover. Very proud of myself.
Just finished reading Chrissie Wellington's 'A life without limits' and feeling totally inspired. What an amazing woman.
It's looking nice out there for my 5m xc later.

Spoons. wrote (see)

The grey seals are all having their pups at the minute so we've been out for a walk this afternoon having a look. Very cute. 

there is a seal colony near here in langstone harbour - one of them decided to pop his head up while i was out so a sea swim with the tri club! i didnt see it and carried on swimming but soon noticed that everyone else had scrambled out of the water!!

08/12/2012 at 19:37
Hi All...sorry about the absence..it's been hectic since returning home and I've struggled to find a few spare moments.
Some great running in awful conditions by team Minni and interesting debate about LRs and why Darren is super fast. I've not done a jot since last Sunday until today hoping my calf would loosen up so I can start marathon training feeling 100%. Managed a 6.3 mile run today at easy pace of 7.49 keeping off the hills. Calf feels tight but not the lump that was there a week ago so fingers crossed .may try another tomorrow.
DD/O4S- get well soon.
DD- you have been on fire recently so a short rest won't do any harm.
Ant- LRs and MLRs are the way to go for marathons IMO. Do them slow and you'll have what you need to do re other runs. I leave the MP/fast runs to the last 6-7 weeks. But everyone has their own way of going about it as DD says
Sarah- impressive running. I agree with Bro that its how much you go under 3.30 will be the question assuming you get the mileage in and I don't doubt that you will do lots
Spoons- cute baby seeks- I once saw a dead seal on our local beach when running along it
Bro- I see you are soon back in the thick of it- literally!
Minni- think you should have worn skates ...lethal. Good to get to 16 at this stage so you will be doing 20s in Jan easily
Oomp- you are building up the mileage even though there are the odd setbacks. Hope that it continues to work. Looks like I may be going ahead on the same basis but will lay off fast stuff for a while.
08/12/2012 at 20:32

2old- Lets hope that the rest was all you needed for your calf, do you have a foam roller that you could use to iron it out a bit more?

I'm hoping to follow Darren's route and get super fast over the next few months so keep posting your training runs please

Sarah- 12miles at mp, wow that's some going at such an early stage in your training, that must give you a big boost.

Chick- Good luck tomorrow if its still on.

Bro- Well done on the xc, are you or anyone else on here entering the RW forum 6?

DD- What a great result even though you were ill. 

Dubai Dave wrote (see)
PS I know who the mentors are and I'm not one of them!

Go on spill the beans......

Minni- Careful on your lsr tomorrow, that road looks lethal.

This week I have completed a tempo run (7.08mm), speed session 8x300m between 6:17 and 6:23mm, an 8.3mile off road run and a couple of recovery runs. I just hope I haven't left all my speed in training for next weeks 10k.

08/12/2012 at 20:59
Bro - Well done on the xc race, and not going too fast.

Minni - I agree with the others, zip your woman suit up and get out there, our are you going soft in your old age!

Well went out for a 13m lsr this evening. Whilst running thru a small village (churchtown) with narrow pavements. I was adjusting my bumbag
strap on my right side, Oh and they also have
bollards to stop cars parking on the pavement.
Yes you've guessed it, whilst looking down I
must of drifted slight to the right and the next
minute WHACK, at 8.30 pace that's 7mph into a
bollard, then flying thru the air and hit the deck with a thump, What the F. After a few secs I got up and hobbled over to a bench in a bus stop, obviously pretending I meant to do it. As I was twisting to the right, I took the full force on my left hip/side. I was only 3m into my run, so I had to decided whether to head back home before it stiffens up and call it a 6m tempo. But decided to carry, mile 4 was a bit slower, but I was back up to 8.30pace by mile 5, so carried on. Left side starting feeling stiff by mile 10, but still managed 12m and virtually bang on target of 8.31ave pace. I found out why I was able to carry on, it was just above my hip that took the full force of the bollard, that area just above the top of your pelvis and bottom of the rib cage, where there's no bones.
1- still managed to get my lsr in. 2- no damage to my running gear. 3- On 3 runs a week, tomorrow is definately a rest day.
I'm now sporting, what if I was a biffer, is a large muffin top on my left side. Hehe
08/12/2012 at 21:46

2old - glad you've had a week off.  Lets hope that's sorted the calf out.  By the way how are those micro pigs coming along?

O4S -   This chesty thing that's going around is horrible.  Lets hope you're on the mend soon.

Simon - so funny!  Glad you're ok and well done for not ditching the run. 

Gazelle - do you think you're in pb shape for next week?

I'm not sure anyone on here needs the Forum6.  Everyone is highly motivated and we dish out loads of advice between us.  However, if anyone was thinking about it then I'd definitely recommend it.  There are some top quality mentors involved this year and you might not get this chance again.  

08/12/2012 at 22:08
Minni - I don't think they have any street cameras in that village, but if they did, I think I would be fighting for top spot on Youtube with Mr Z.

Re the Forum 6, why would we go for that, when we've got 10-15 great mentors already on here with Team Minni, and now a Doctor! Yipee
08/12/2012 at 22:11

Totally agree Simon.

08/12/2012 at 22:28
Minni- nice to be back. Pigs won't stop eating but still small....ish. We don't need motivation just a physical overhaul or glasses(Simon!) . Calf still not 100 % so will take things easy for now .
Simon- was your fall filmed for You've been framed? Good to see you manned up and saw that long run out to the end....an example to others. Time to visit specs savers?
Gazelle- foam roller is on my Xmas list but I've got a vibro plate so will use that a bit too. Good collection of runs this week and fast paced too.
08/12/2012 at 23:26
2old - I like to use those Power plates at the gym. I do some stretches on them, and also some single leg balance moves to strenghen my ankles. Unfortunately they haven't improved my eye sight lol.

Minni- When I got home and showed my OH my injury. She just rolled her eyes, and said I was getting a bit 'Ditsey' in my old age. I think that was just another suttle way of saying, shouldn't you stop mara running at your age. (angry face).
09/12/2012 at 07:34
I've discovered the inner cardboard from a roll of wrapping paper works the same as a foam roller.
09/12/2012 at 08:20
Minni- good idea. ....one from the Blue Peter generation.
Miserable start to the day in the NW
Good running all today.
09/12/2012 at 09:29

Hungover

I have a long run to do. Can't face it 

09/12/2012 at 09:31
Morning
2Old- can we please have some pictures of the micro pigs? Hope the calf is better.
Gazelle- some speedy running this week, I'm sure you will smash that 10k next week. I won't be applying for the Forum 6. Happy with how things are going with Moz and like Minni said there's more than enough advice on here.
O4S- hope you're feeling better today.
Simon- ouch ouch ouch. Glad no serious damage has been done! Lol about OHs comment.
Hope Chick gets to run today and that the conditions are reasonable.
4m easy planned for today.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.