RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,041 to 24,060 of 37,198 messages
10/12/2012 at 16:22

Im in Simon if anyone else is??

M.r Zuvai    pirate
10/12/2012 at 16:25
Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)

Ok team, I just heard on the radio this morning the toughest -athlon you'll ever have to do, are you up for the challenge.........A Dryathlon..No alcohol for the whole of January in aid of some cancer charity apparently...Minni you've got no chance lol

simon - that's become an annual tradition in our family - we've done it for the last 6  or 7 years - it's a nice way to start the year!

10/12/2012 at 16:26

Free- to go sub 3 like he did you have to go on drugs and fatten up etc before you go on the wagon, so you'd better get cracking. Good to see doing a popular 5 again

Simon-Sorry no chance-its my Birthday in Jan , then there is the apres ski.Doomed to fail

Minni-Im not on the wagon but have drunk less than that to now since Friday-dont mention the previous week!

Ant-impressed by all your XC exploits-you will feel the benefit when the season is over with all that extra power in your legs

10/12/2012 at 16:48

Simon- would love to join in but apres ski is awaiting me in Jan.

10/12/2012 at 16:54

I don't really think about what I eat or drink, vaguely try to be healthy but not about to turn down a piece of chocolate cake in case it adds 5 secs to my 100 mile time [and that is just the time to eat it!!].  No family gatherings over Christmas / office parties or similar so don't drink any more that at any other time of the year -  don't see the point of going on the wagon in January [why not June or October?].  Actually I don't see any point of going on the wagon at all, which might explain why I have never cracked 3.30 for a marathon.  Trying to persuade myself that going for a club tempo run in sub zero temperatures, the day after a half marathon, is a really good idea

Dubai Dave    pirate
10/12/2012 at 16:59
Skiing in January so no chance, wine is free with dinner. Broke my record for the long 8K lap of the park tonight, another 12 seconds gone, last 5K all sub 4 min/K's so happy
10/12/2012 at 17:03

Hi all,

I had a good run yesterday morning - 14 miles on a new and very hilly route. It was a really nice morning and I managed to keep up a good pace despite having been to my running club's Christmas party the night before. I made a point of doing the last four miles at my PMP (although maybe it's a bit early to be doing this?), and averaged about 8:15 per mile overall, so although I haven't really started my "proper" training for the VLM yet I'm feeling in reasonable shape.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
10/12/2012 at 17:32
Welcome to Sarah and Andy.
I'm still not keeping up with postings always at least a few pages behind should catch up in next few days.
Had my best week training since the stroke (10 weeks ago) 3 swims 2 turbo trainer sessions and a run all about 45mins. Will be cut back week this week as I'm just about to go into theatre for my pfo closure in the next hour.
Good to see all the talk of training plans for next year, as long as it goes well today my 30 week IM plan starts 1st feb.
10/12/2012 at 17:32
Freemers wrote (see)

I was listening to the interview on last week's MT, with Chris Fulcher - previously 18 stone drug addict, no running or exercise....7 years later, aged 45, clean, a lot lighter and has a 2.48 marathon PB  Very inspiring. Makes me think about joining minni and others on the wagon...

I was thinking something similar but doing it backwards. I'm planning on being an 18 stone drug addict that does no exercise.....

10/12/2012 at 17:41
Team Minni On The Wagon...?? The very thought has me reaching for the bottle. It would be harder than Jantastic.
10/12/2012 at 17:43
ST- all the best, hope the op goes well. Glad to hear you're back training. Keep us updated!
Dubai Dave    pirate
10/12/2012 at 18:04
ST good luck, which IM?
10/12/2012 at 18:50
This thread moves so fast now. Sorry if I've skipped a few pages!

Congratulations becs. Happy for you

ST - great to see you recovering well and had a good week.

What the hell is everyone on the wagon for in December?? Have I missed that much?! But I do like the idea of the dryathlon. Would be a tough ask. Most I've ever done is 20 days in January..about 10 years ago!

Not much to report from me. Got 5 runs in last week and coming down with a cold today
10/12/2012 at 19:17

Minni -  Did n't see it last night was falling asleep on the sofa, but about to watch it.

Ady -  Welcome, no question is silly, don't worry about the size of the thread, I only joined last March.

Kfc -  Good luck with the speedwork, some very tough sessions.

OOmpa - Very similar HM time to me and 2old  should be pushing for 3:15 to 3:20 for the mara if not quicker.

Chick -  Don't worry 50 miles is still very  good weekly mileage.

Freemers - Very good weekend of running.

O4S -  Congrats on the HM performance.

Andy - No harm in sticking some quicker miles in at the end of a run, just don't make it the whole run like Sarah.

ST -  good luck with the Op.

Speaking of running slow, 10 hilly miles for me this afternoon at 7:38, I know practice what you preach but at least it was slower than last Friday's 10.

10/12/2012 at 19:27

Dryathlon? I could be tempted......although I have never given up alcohol before, during my marathon training. 

I like a drink or two, but I'm not a huge drinker...just a few pints a week. Would cutting it out completely make a big difference? My PB at the moment is 3:44, so to get down to 3:30, I'd be very tempted to make the sacrifice!

10/12/2012 at 20:52
Hope it goes well ST.

DD - I thought you were ill?!?!

Shady - it's like an AA club here. We all promise each other we're going on the wagon but it never lasts long.
10/12/2012 at 20:54
Hello everyone, is it fine if I tag along and join this thread, I still consider myself a running beginner, very new to the forums and have already learned quite a bit from what I've read.
I run for Wrexham AC and most of experience comes from the fells and the trails by would love to conquer a sub 3:30 marathon.
I would have posted sooner but I'm in the Asics target 26.2 competition and didn't want you all to think I was only here for that.
10/12/2012 at 21:00

ST - good luck with the op

Hi Paul

Hi Shady

10/12/2012 at 21:06

Minni......that makes me feel much better.........I talk a good 'going on the wagon', but I normally break after 2 weeks at the most. 

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum....I have only just joined.....I'm not sure if you know this, but you have to read all 24,000 posts before making your 2nd post here.....well that's what they told me anyway.......have you come here to escape the nerves of the Target 26.2 forum 

10/12/2012 at 21:06

Hi Spoons....I'll think it'll be many, many months until I have as many forum posts as you!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.