RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,061 to 24,080 of 37,338 messages
10/12/2012 at 21:09
So far I've read about 53, long way to go! I was getting side tracked by the target forum, when I should really be sorting out how to break 3:30 so here I am
10/12/2012 at 21:14
ST - Hope the op goes well, and you can get back into more training.

Sarah - What about numpties who have stupid self inflicted sports injuries?

Minni - Whats the weather like up in Newcastle? I'm driving there and back tomorrow to visit our other office with some collegues.
10/12/2012 at 21:18

My thinking exactly. I had 2 weeks rest after the Athens Marathon and last week was my first proper week back....just in time to start training proper next week. 

In the past, when for (non-alcohol related) reasons out of my control I've had to miss training sessions, instead of letting them go, I've either tried to double up on another day or increase the mileage of another run - so I can get my mileage for the week completed.

Do others do this, or just let the run go and carry on?

10/12/2012 at 21:20
There seem to be quite a few of the asics crew aiming for 3:30 so I'm sure one of you will get through. We have lots of different views and approaches on here and we're not shy when it comes to dishing out advice, support, opinions etc. We also have a very honest approach to training and racing and are not afraid to admit when we or others are shit!
10/12/2012 at 21:23
I'll be the first to admit I've had a shit one, happened at Chester and Snowdonia, but I'd like to think I've got a good one in me
10/12/2012 at 21:23
Simon - I'm about an hour North and I ran in hail tonight with everything white. Which way do you come? Up the A1? If so you'll be fine. If you head up and cut over by Hexham you might have to look out for ice. Where in Newcastle is your office?
Edited: 10/12/2012 at 21:24
10/12/2012 at 21:24
Paul- welcome.
Shady- if I could get a guarantee of smashing my pb by giving up the booze it would be a no brainer but no, it's not that simple. If you're not overindulging and it doesn't affect your training I don't think a few beers here and there make any difference at our level. Or maybe it's what I choose to believe.
Well I've decided to bite the bullet and go to the track before work tomorrow to do my intervals. It will be the first... Apparently it's open from 7, I wonder if there are any other psychos using it at that time of day...
10/12/2012 at 21:31

Well that was the worse netball training ive been to, cancelled at the last min so I didnt manage anything tonight in the end except a rest day!

DD free wine...is that why everyones going skiing in Jan?

Thankyou ST, all the best for your surgery, i hope it all goes well and you get back in to training quickly.

Simon now thats a tough one  it depends on if they tell me the truth or not. I use to work in Hull A&E, lots of people with stupid accidents and injuries presented there!

Hi Paul, i came on here almost straight away as even though I would love to get through to the last 5, im aiming for a sub 3:30 no matter what and thought speaking to like minded people on here would be enjoyable and helpful, which it has been, so thanks guys for making me welcome

10/12/2012 at 21:32

Love the picture Zuvai! Nothing like a creative sign to raise a chuckle.

Minni a friend at work uses a similar app to monitor what she's eating and drinking. She says it's really opened her eyes as to what she's eating - she's lost nearly two stone since early summer just by sticking to a set amount of calories.

Shady if I plan ahead I usually try and run a double rather than miss a run, I'll juggle my week's session so I can do an easy run before work then speedwork on an evening. 

Simon 25 miles south east of Newcastle has no snow, only seems to be higher ground around where I live affected.  Icy tonight though. 

I'm also in the 'little and often' camp, 3 meals plus 3 (or 4, or sometimes 5 ) snacks.  Snacks being something like an apple, or a couple of slices of malt loaf.  I notice people at work will eat what they've brought in for lunch, and a yogurt, and a piece of fruit or crisps or whatever, all at once.  I'll have the same amount of food but spread it out over the day.  I don't know how people can eat breakfast at 7am then last until noon without anything to eat! 

Think I'll pass on the dryathlon... I once gave up alcohol for 3 months before Edinburgh Marathon and ended up running 4:15.  Clearly doesn't agree with me

10/12/2012 at 21:38
Hi Sarah, same for me, the Blackpool Marathon is the same day as Paris so it's no different for me, it's still the target for me and obviously is for you, maybe we can help each other
10/12/2012 at 21:52

Minni - a little video here to get you in the mood for the weekend!

10/12/2012 at 22:06
Thank goodness I bought those spikes!
10/12/2012 at 22:16

6 mile tempo run on tired legs, but I suppose anything that hurts that much must be doing you good??!!

Forecast for tomorrow does not encourage bike riding, so might have to do a double to get to work and back

Good luck ST

AA - don't worry, I for one am allergic to wagons so any time you fall off I will be there to comfort you......................

10/12/2012 at 22:36
O4S - I thought you were supposed to be resting??!!!

Honestly, you and DD must be twins separated at birth.
10/12/2012 at 22:56
Minni /Carot - Looks like quite central. Bumburgh court , willam Armstrong way, off scottswood road, in Elswick I think. Will be coming across M62, then up A1, so sounds like should be ok.
Still got a nice big dark purple bruise about the size my size9 shoe, and a big lump.
Dubai Dave    pirate
11/12/2012 at 04:39

Morning

Minni: O4S & I both believe that Toast and Maramalade is the breakfast fuel of champions so maybe we are related, though as far as I'm aware I'm a true blue Cornishman without any Irish descendents. And yes running that hard last night may not have been that sensible as the sore throat is back and I was awake coughing in the night.

Welcome to Shady and Paul, beware most of the advice on here refers to drinking and running into extremely hard objects. You better let O4S know how old you are as she is looking for a new toyboy since Darren escaped

So what to do today? Should be swim  & run, not 100% convinced that sticking my head in water is a good idea, so will probably do it anyway

11/12/2012 at 06:46

Morning! Got my session for tonight. 16 x 400m @ 10km pace. Nice and simple!

11/12/2012 at 06:56
I've got similar tonight but only 6 x 400. 16 would kill me!
11/12/2012 at 06:58
Oh and mine are 3k pace..... Yikes.
11/12/2012 at 07:00

O4S/ Dubai Dave........31yrs old, with a cheeky smile that still means I get ID'd from time to time........actually, maybe you were just being tongue in cheek and it wasn't best to share this info!

Spoons......I've started doing 800m @ 10k pace, working from 6 reps and hopefully up to 10. In your honest opinion, iwill doing 800m have a difference to doing 400m instead?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.