RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,121 to 24,140 of 37,337 messages
11/12/2012 at 19:32

Freemer - even with the dubious history of the super six I can't believe they will be using that myasics garbage!  Has anyone else looked at it?

I don't see any need to do more than about 3 long runs with MP.  5 easy / 5 mp / 5 easy / 5mp or 7m easy / 6m steady / 6m mp or 10m easy / 10m mp.  Something along those lines - and I would keep them apart by at least 2 weeks.

Sarah - it's pretty difficult to burn out from a weekly long run at easy pace.  My suggestion would be to do something like a 17 - 18 miler every 3 weeks or so when not in marathon training during summer, if you don't want to do more.  You can still be a marathoner when not in marathon training!

There seem to be two burn out camps - intervals addicts saying mileage will burn you out and mileage addicts saying intervals will burn you out.  They're both right and they're both wrong!

2old - ah,  yes - getting old can throw a spanner in the works.  Some people find it easier to do the speedwork on hills but my knees only feel okay in bed!

Merry Carrotmas - Sorry, unnecessary risk in my opinion!  It's too much too close and also has the possibility of undermining confidence.  Not a bad spot for a 10k for some though.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
11/12/2012 at 19:38

Welcome to all the new members if I have not said so already.

After a lot of racing recently everyone seems to have turned there attention to training plans and spring marathons in particular. The stoke has put pay to any thoughts of a spring marathon for me but I am looking forward to stalking you lot as you put your plans into action and may even take a day trip to watch those doing the VLM.

My plan doesn't start properly until 1st Feb and is 30 weeks of almost exclusively low heart rate, steady work. Your talk of intervals makes me both smug and envyous, I hate the thought of them but love the feeling you get when you nail them. I might drop a 10km or MH race into my plan in the spring to find out how much pace and stamina I've lost over the last couple of months so maybe I'll be racing at the same time as some of you leading up to spring marathons. Anyone considering Silverstone HM?

Everything went really well yesterday(thank you all for your kind wishes), can you believe they can do a procedure to put a device in a hole in my heart in 15mins with the only evidence being a cut less than 1 cm in my groin. I'm sore and a bit tired but I'm sure by the end of the week I'll be back to training (Ant point noted re bleeding, thanks). Its so nice to be able to look forward now to a clear block of training with nothing hanging over me.

DD - The IM I have signed up for is Challenge Henley which is also the Pirate Championship. I've ordered my yellow and black Lycra and intend to enjoy the whole experience.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
11/12/2012 at 19:57

ST - thats swung it for me - i'll get my henley entry in the new year 

11/12/2012 at 20:02
Thanks for the hello Barry,

I had a look at the asics app and yes it only covers up to 4 days of training a week, I'll be using the forums for better advice. If anyone wanted a little bio from me, here are my pb's:

10k 41:32mins
10miles 69mins
1/2 Marathon 1hr 33mins
Marathon 3:59

As you can see I think I've got a good one in me, I've been running seriously for about a year, I'm coming from an off road running background. I was hoping to join this thread, ask a lot, read a lot and learn a lot!!!
11/12/2012 at 20:34
Paul - your 10k, 10mile and HM times are very similar to mine, abd I have a 3.24 marathon PB so you definitely can do it. Looks like you have the speed, just need to build some endurance (much like most of the guys on this thread)

Moraghan - thanks for the tips on LSRs with MP. I'll give that a go.
11/12/2012 at 20:54

Busy on here. Struggling to keep up. Did my intervals. All went well. 

Sarah - do a longer warmup than 5 mins when doing short intervals. 

11/12/2012 at 21:13

Moraghan (and everyone else!) - thanks for your advice.......luckily I do have some weight to lose.......I was at my current weight (160lbs) when running my PB, but I should be under 150lbs at the very least.....I think this would make all the difference to my speed and 5k/10k times.

Merry Carrotmas - I've actively looked for a half marathon a couple of weeks before my marathon as my last marathon paced run. I'm quickly starting to think this has been a rash cjoice in the past.

11/12/2012 at 21:40

Freemers wrote (see)

Talking of which, has anyone had a look at the myasics website they are going to use to do the schedules for the competition this year. You put in your target race distance and time, plus a time for a recent race of the same or other distance, and it comes up with a plan. Trouble is it doesn't seem logical - the plan only allows you to select to run either 2, 3 or 4 days per week (no more!)...it reckons on my times I could run a 3.14 marathon on 2 days a week training . I really hope the Asics winners get better schedules than that!

I can run 3:13 on three days per week (calm down Simon )

• one run of 3 slow miles, recovery - well you need it don't you.
  • one of of between 5 - 8 miles at HMP.  No warm up....
  • long run:  4 x 14m; 1 x 18m; 1 x 22m.  The 14 miles are interesting - 5.5m faster than HMP then the rest a bit slower than MP.

If the guy who's hoping for 2:20 gets through it'll be an interesting thread to follow.

Paul - Your times are not that much different to mine.  10k a bit faster, HM a bit slower but marathon 40 minutes slower.  Looks like you need to work on your endurance a bit more.  I came from an off road background too and although it makes you strong it encourages lots of slow running.  You'll find now you're on the roads you can gauge paces much better.

11/12/2012 at 21:49

When looking at MyAscis for a 3.30 marathon, my longest mileage during the whole 16 weeks is 30 miles. I was expecting to see something closer to 50.

11/12/2012 at 21:51

Hopefully the coaches will be able to tweak (or totally change) them.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
11/12/2012 at 21:59

8 miles for me this eve at GA pace - felt freat - first run since bonking my head!

11/12/2012 at 22:11

Treble for me today - although only about 9 miles in total.  First run was recovery after last night, second was hills [sort of had to be to get home!] and the third was a tempo run to keep me warm until the heating got into action - we don't put it on timer and the warmest room in the house was 10 degrees when i got home.

Checked the official results for last Sunday - 11 people were DQ'd for wearing Ipods contrary to entry form and pre-race announcement.  I was 11th overall and would have won the FV50 if I hadn't been a FV60 [well I know what I mean.........]

I don't suppose Mora would approve of doing a 50 mile off road event the week before TM

11/12/2012 at 22:17
Thanks Moz, I did do this in the autumn but I didn't race the half (or the marathon for that matter) I'd be wanting to race this HM on 7th so I'll not enter and maybe look for a 10k

It's amazing what the best of the medical profession can do ST, doesn't sound like much recovery needed either? Hope you enjoy getting back into your training but don't do too much too soon. I'm sure I'm about the 50th person to say that!

Nice treble O4S, and no point in heating an empty house. Never known a race to actually carry out the threat of DQ for the cardinal sin of wearing an ipod!
11/12/2012 at 22:26
O4S - Well done on being FV50 &FV60, how close were you to FV40?

Minni - Yes I reakon you should try that myasics sched on 3 runs a week, I'm sure Mora won't mind!

Chick - I heard that dryathlon advert on the radio again today, it's for cancer research uk apparently.

Well trip to Newcastle went ok, some rush hour around Leeds, and 15hrs in total, most of it on the road, but actually warmer over in the NE.
Bruise is still getting bigger, but less painful, so might try a bit of x-training tomorrow.

Welcome Paul/Andrew- Sarah must of bigged us up, as half of the asics 26.2 hopefuls seem to be on here now, I hope you all stick around.
11/12/2012 at 22:42
Hope so, I'm in for the long haul
11/12/2012 at 23:03
Thanks Moraghan, I had wanted to do longer runs over the Summer but got talked out of it so it's nice to have advice that supports my wishes and reassure me that I'm not going to cause myself any injuries.

ST, I had read about silverstone half in RW and quite fancied it, if I get through to the final 5 then I will be seeing if this is one of the ASICS races that we can do.

Spoons I did think a 5min warm up was enough until I read about Minni's being 5 miles. I will certainly be changing that bit of my training.

I've got to admit the MyASICS app may need quite a lot of tweaking. I tried to use it to work out a training programe for the brass monkey but it started me off doing less milage than I'm doing at the moment at a slower pace and gave me a slower time at the end than what I wanted!
11/12/2012 at 23:05
Simon I just spoke the truth saying how friendly and helpful you all are. Of course we will be staying around whether we win/loose.
11/12/2012 at 23:08
Sarah - what's your target for BM? It would be good for you to get 2 or 3 longer ones in before that. I've always found HMs easier to cope with if I've gone longer in the run up.

Good luck for tomorrow!
11/12/2012 at 23:16
ST - great news all went well. I am riding the 'build it back up gradually train' if you want to hop on too - we can wave at all these mileage merchants as they whizz by!

Spoons - 16 reps? Phew.

2M easy done yesterday on the 2014 commie games marathon course - raised my arms in triumph over the finish line... witnessed by an enthusiastic crowd of jakies and their dugs. Going for the same tomorrow, and seeing the physio again. All seems to be going well so far - and its great to be now in the habit of doing 45mins of stretching and core every day.
11/12/2012 at 23:45
I wanted to aim for about 1:32 at BM but it will depend on the weather/roads as if it's icey I will be a lot more slow and careful. How about you?

Im going to aim for 13/14 this week for my long run and hopefully build it up from there. I'm going to take it a bit slower than usual though thanks to everyone's advice on here. I'm hopefully going to try the session you posted on Thursday.

Thank you for the good luck,x
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.