RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,141 to 24,160 of 37,183 messages
12/12/2012 at 00:08
Sarah- I ran Liverpool HM this March in 1.32 and did VLM in 3.14 so that gives an indication of what is possible but I think you need to get some LSRs in. Fingers crossed for your application. Will you still speak to us if you gt it?
Dubai Dave    pirate
12/12/2012 at 06:22

Morning Folks

You have been busy overnight

I have always kept the 14 - 17 mile long runs in all year regardless of what I'm training for and have never had any problems going back to the 20 milers when needed, so it works!

ST / MrZ I might well enter the 1/2 at Challenge Henley just so I can come along for the Craic. 

Well I did swim yesterday, then ran 10K  slowly last night. This morning I cycled pre dawn and will do speed work tonight, still not 100% but not sick enough to do nowt either.

I went Christmas shopping at the mall last night and did the whole lot in 2.5 hours which included dinner in PF Changs, hardly another person in the mall, the joys of living in a muslim country! The other plus is that the Mall is a 2 minute drive from home. Boy am I going to be screwed in Wiltshire

12/12/2012 at 06:53

Morning! Done my Xmas shopping on Amazon.

loving the new emoticons! 

12/12/2012 at 07:34
Morning gang. My Christmas shopping was started beginning of November and I still have a few bits to get

O4S - thanks for supporting me when I fall off wagon!

Great to see Mozza popping in with all his knowledge.

Welcome to all the new guys.

Carrot - bet you had fun last night. I think we're doomed now.
12/12/2012 at 07:43

Woke this morning to a temperature of 0.2 degrees [not a mistake] inside our bedroom.    I know we think heating a house in the morning is pointless since we are up and out within 15 minutes - but this takes things to a whole new level.  In fact once dressed minus 3 degrees outside felt positively balmy!  Good run into work and will be lecturing at 9.00am wearing my 'Bah Humbug' hat, assuming any of the final years manage to get there in time!

DD:  as you say - you are going to be seriously screwed in Wiltshire

AA:  we could save ourselves a lot of effort if we didn't bother getting on in the first place

12/12/2012 at 07:55

I agree with Paul and Sarah.....will defiitely be sticking around!

O4S - That's one cold bedroom

Struggled with my run last night, as the pavements were very icy. It was hard to find any traction. I'm glad I managed a lunch time session too. Is their any negatives of breaking runs up into smaller runs if you still get the same daily mileage in? Sometimes I find it hard during the week to have a dedicated time to do it all at once?

12/12/2012 at 08:44

Shady:  Splitting them up occasionally can get you used to running on tired legs, which is always a good idea, but obviously you need to get in plenty of the longer continuous runs as well.  In the winter I do find that two or three shorter runs a day fit are easier to do and it means that at least some of your running is in daylight.  When i did the three shorter runs yesterday the last one was the faster run - legs tired after half on Sunday, tempo run Monday and 2 earlier sessions - so you get the feel of how trying to keep the pace up towards the end of a marathon will be.

12/12/2012 at 09:13

DD -  You'll be OK in Wiltshire, can't beat Swindon for a shopping experience.

Paul -  With your times for 10K and HM, with the right training 3:30 and below is very doable.

Ady -  Doing doubles help get the mileage up, I'll be doing doubles all next week cause I'm on night shift, but you still need to get the longer runs in.  ie doing 2 x 5 milers in a day does n't equal running a 10 miler.

Day off work today so just over 11 frosty miles done at 7:42 avg. Rest of day to be spent  Xmas shopping and catching up on TV.

Dubai Dave    pirate
12/12/2012 at 09:30

Barry: Does Swindon have a fully air conditioned mall with Valet parking, 2 x Cinema's, 4 food courts, Decathalon, Carrefour, Virgin, Apple, North Face, Columbia, Nike , Addidas ? I fear not and it certainly won't be within walking distance.

12/12/2012 at 09:46

Santa Baby chickadeee wrote (see)

Welcome, Paul. Nothing wrong with shit races. Nearly all of my races have been shit, except maybe 3 or 4

Is it time to start the 'who's the shittest' competition again?  We should have a special trophy!

Hello Andrew! Welcome to the madhouse.

Sarah- like the others said defo need to warm up for longer than 5min.  I usually do 3-4m warm up and the same for cool down after speed sessions.

2old wrote (see)
Jogging outside could make you stupid - and more likely to suffer mental health problems
  • Exercising in busy, traffic-filled areas could actually cause mental decline
  • City joggers' brains less able to store new knowledge
  • And have higher levels inflammation, linked to mental decline

Lol... mental decline- love it. I have been told on numerous occasions that I'm mental by non runners so maybe there is something in it.

Wow- according to the asics plan and based on my 10k time I can run 3:18 in April on two runs a week (mild pace).  Imperssive stuff.

Barry B wrote (see)

Bro -  Impressive return to the quick stuff.  Any reason for the quick stuff only 2 weeks after your mara.

Barry- the idea is to get some speed back into my legs at this early stage while I'm not knocking out 75mpw.  My last campaign proved that my speed needs to be worked on constantly, otherwise it goes and doesn't want to come back. 

ST- so glad to hear it went well yesterday. 

O4S- you're doing trebles now, crazy woman Your house sounds a bit chilly.

It's freezing out there. 9m planned for tonight.  I have my ninja outfit ready- you can only see my eyes.

12/12/2012 at 09:57

DD -  Swindon has all of those plus Argos and Poundland.

Edited: 12/12/2012 at 10:03
12/12/2012 at 10:05

That's impressive if you type in Argos it automatically links to their website.

12/12/2012 at 10:10

Canny beat a bit a Poundland.   

O4S - get the heating on!

2m on the treadmill this morning, going to do my killer sesh tonight then going to bunk off early tomorrow to get my 11 done in part daylight.

12/12/2012 at 10:16

Barry-that was a good 11 miler. I agree that ideally one long run a day is better than short runs added together but when needs must as they say .Argos and Poundland--sounds like my sort of place...if its got and Aldi and KFC, Im moving there.

DD-looks like you need to get all your training  (and shopping ) done before you get back--looks like you are judging by your daily sessions

O4S- trebles-thats one way to keep warm -but that means three showers a day...I hope. Hope your pies dont freeze

Bro-9? How is it you are running less than double figures?Im like you in needing at least four miles possibly more to start to feel comfortable when I run.

Bit of a dilemma-my mate has just signed up for the GN swim art Windermere in June but only for a mile, I wanted to do two. So what do I do ?I enjoy the company with this cross training tri stuff so really not keen to go solo. Also. you Tri guys- can you recommend any good Olympic Distance tri's in the NWish area in June to August?

Trip to Manchester soon for a Chinese lunch so not likely to train today. Take care on the ice all

ST-more positive news for you

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/12/2012 at 11:16
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

ST / MrZ I might well enter the 1/2 at Challenge Henley just so I can come along for the Craic. 

that would be brilliant!  i was gutted we didn't manage to catch up over a pint in Nottingham!

M.r Zuvai    pirate
12/12/2012 at 11:19

there was beautiful sunrise over the solent this morning, took a couple of pics on my ohone during my gentle 4 mile recovery - made getting out of bed worth while

12/12/2012 at 12:06

Wow so much has gone on here in the last 4 days, I have only missed 11 pages worth yikes.

Minni- My 10k is on Sunday as long as it dosn't get cancelled! I'm hoping to beat my pb of 41:50.

Zuvai, simon and Becs- Hope you have all recovered from your incidents!

04S- Great race and report, put the heating on in your house

Welcome to all the newbies and good luck with the Asics Competition.

12/12/2012 at 12:08
I love seeing the sunrise too Zuvai. I like when I do a long run starting in the dark then I'm a few miles from home on a deserted road when the sun comes up.

Sarah - I'll be hoping for somewhere around 1:30 at BM but you're right, the weather will have a lot to do with it. It was blowing a gale last year.
12/12/2012 at 12:10

Gazelle- good luck on Sunday, go get them.

12/12/2012 at 12:36

10 miles into work this morning @ 8:23. Frosty out there, but the sun broke through as I reached Finsbury Park - made it look lovely.

I rarely trouble a sunrise though. I'm not the earliest of risers

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.