RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,201 to 24,220 of 37,584 messages
12/12/2012 at 21:51

Thanks guys. Happy to hear that. I think I would get depressed if I was only running 3 times a week! 

12/12/2012 at 22:06

Minni / Sarah I'm hoping to be somewhere in between the two of you at BM!  Sarah I ran last year in tights long sleeve top and a tshirt over the top.  I ran it at marathon pace so wasn't racing or anything, I didn't end up warm.  Might get the legs out this time round....

Nice photos Zuvai!

O4S that reminds me when I used to live with a friend and we'd be frugal with the heating, we were having a little party and as someone was coming in someone shouted, "Quick, shut that door you're letting the warm in!" We do have ours on for half an hour before we get up on a morning but it doesn't come on until after 7pm on a night.  Encourages us to get out for a run!

Lovely addition to the family FRC, love the man flu tablets!

AA yes we finally got a win last night, out of the relagation zone for at least a few days before we play Man United away on Saturday

Shady I run six days a week.

13 done tonight with Parsnip, I'm enjoying our weekly MLR together  Company is nice when you're out for nearly 2 hours in freezing fog.  

12/12/2012 at 22:42
No news yet Minni. I think I'm going to be sat by my phone all day tomorrow just incase it rings. Not sure how I will explain it to my patients though if it happens mid sentence or examination! My OH once bought me a flute for christmas, because I had mentioned once that I would like to learn how to play the saxophone???

I'm looking forward to meeting you both at BM. At the moment that's my next proper race, although if I don't make it into the final 5 I've the Santa special in Sheffield to run on Sunday. I do like racing in shorts but it's a long sleeve top for me throughout winter. Will need to remember the black sack that I always forget!

Carrotmas 13 miles on a Wednesday night is very impressive. I only finished work at 8:40pm so I just went for a swim, did 1000m front crawl. Hopefully my legs will be feeling all fresh tomorrow now, ready to tackle the training run suggested by Minni!
12/12/2012 at 23:54
ST - welcome aboard the recovery train!

Gazelle/ST - my core session is currently the below, it works round the whole area, but I'm planning on doing some research on new exercises in case there's anything good I'm missing.

Full body stretch session to start
-
4x30 sit ups on a ball - (set each of front, left, right, up)
Plank with arms on ball x2, legs on ball x2
Repeat
-
5x20 sit ups on floor - (set each front, left, right, up, leg lowers)
Planks on ground - front and both sides
Repeat
-
Side crunches on ball
Dorsal raises on ball
-
Foam roller calves

The physio today liked my plan for getting back into it, and my calves are much less tight now. She's all for the core - her view is its by far the most important part of my recovery plan. At the moment its easy for me to do it 5 times a week, as I start being able to do more running I'll cut it back to 2 per week.

FRC - interesting you did something similar - did you do a spring marathon after your comeback this year?
By cross training I mean lsr type training - mine will be long bike rides or swims rather than gym work. Plan is to reawaken the aerobic base without making my body take too much mileage.
No, don't plan on doing more than 1x 20 this spring. While not optimal its enough to get me round ok this time - don't want to risk injury by planning more.
13/12/2012 at 00:39
Shady - I'm in the less is more camp, so just 3x runs plus 2x x-training a week.

Sarah - Will those manflu tablets improve my eyesight?

So went to the gym tonight for the first bit of exercise after my crash. Tried some intervals on the TM, just 4x 1/2m with 2min recovery. Took the 1st one easy @ 7mmp, then the other 3 @ 6.40mmp. Left knee, thigh and hip all ok, just sore by ribs, but should be ok for longer run on Friday hopefully.

FRC - Stanley looks great. When we lost are cat after 13yrs we said never again. But 6mnths later we got another from cat rescue center.
13/12/2012 at 05:00

Shady -   Come January when the plan kicks in it'll be 6 days running and 1 days rest, but at least one of those days will be a short slow/recovery run.  I tried 3 days a week during the summer but my running was suffering and switching to 6 days certainly turned it around.

Good luck to all the ASICS hopefuls.

Dubai Dave    pirate
13/12/2012 at 05:38

Morning, keeping up with you lot isn't easy

Shady: I take one rest day every 10 days, but then I don't run everyday preferring to X train. 

Sarah: Hope that they put you out of your misery soon, personally I think that the Asics 6 is a poisoned chalice and there have been some spectacular failures over the years but maybe its perfect for you, so fingers crossed.

Last night was a 5K warm up then 12 x 400 off 45 second recoveries which went 

90/ 83 / 84 / 85 / 85 / 84 / 83 / 88 / 84 / 81 / 81 / 77 so one loosener and the rest were there or there abouts, I'll take that as I still have a head cold which is more annoying than debilitating, no need for Man Flu pills here. Dis anyone else actually do their 400's???

Swim today, 90K bike race tomorrow, 10K race Saturday. I have somehow got seeded in the B start for the bike race starting right after the Pro's and local teams so now I'm going to have to work my butt off tomorrow just to stay with all the speedy guys around me 

13/12/2012 at 06:30

I did mine!

We're still iced up and it was -7 when I went out last night.  I was in two minds whether to attempt the 400s outside or to come back home on the TM but I didn't fancy the last mile on it so stayed out.  They were not very even, mainly because of the ice.  I did them along an A road that had been gritted but every time a car came I had to jump on the icy pavement. 

3 m easy: 9:09; 8:22; 8:14
0.5 m strides: 7:30
2 m MP: 7:27; 7:23
6 x 400:  100 /95 /99 /94 /98 / 96
1 m 10KP: 6:52
0.5 c/d

I'm coming home early to do my 11 miles today.  So excited to get it done in the light!

13/12/2012 at 06:51

I did my 400s on Tuesday. Did 16. One guy thought that wasn't enough so did 20 plus a mile rep on the end! 

Dubai Dave    pirate
13/12/2012 at 07:03

Have just entered Challenge Henley 1/2 See you there ST / MrZ / AA?

13/12/2012 at 07:45
Hi Simon, it does look like a miracle tablet, so anything could be possible!

DD, thank you. We are supposed to find out today so not long now. Even if I don't get through, or get the time I'm wanting I've still gained so much from entering the competition. I didn't even know that these forums existed until BC, and now I've met so many nice people on them. I would like to go through, but only time will tell. If I don't make it, then I'm not what the RW/ASICS team are looking for, it's been fabulous to be a part of something so huge and it will be great to follow those who do get through (+/- myself) throughout their 4 month journey. I remember reading about the finalists last year and thinking wow, I would love to be one of them, and now I've been a part of it all!

Hope you all have a good run today.
13/12/2012 at 09:22
Looks like 400s are the new 5miler! Nice work on a very icy night Minni. Spoons I don't know why some people insist on doing more like that, just push yourself hard enough on the session you've been given instead of doing more reps!

Good luck for your races over the next few days DD.

Sarah you're dedicated getting a swim in after such a long day! When do you find out about if you're in or not? The forum six is surely yours if you don't get in

(Rant alert) Does anyone else work with a bunch of hypochondriacs? Some of my colleagues have different have something different wrong with them every week! If they don't have a sore throatit's a bad head, if they don't have a bad eye they're tired, if it's not that their shoulder is hurting they have a bad stomach. It's like the boy who cried wolf, I've stopped having any sympathy for them any more as there's something wrong every week. HTFU!! Then there's others who have lost their wife, mother in law or have a parent suffering from Dementia who just get on with things when they're the ones who deserve a hug. (Rant over)
13/12/2012 at 10:08

I think I may need some of those man flu tablets - definitely coming down with something. It started on the way home yesterday with my throat just starting to feel tight and itchy...it developed into a cough pretty quick and now I feel pretty shite. Not helped by a 90 minute delay on the train this morning and having to stand out in the cold while our broken down one was moved out of the way so we could get the next one. So I definitely will not be running today  I probably should be at home but have a couple of client meetings today and really can't miss them. At least I am working at home tomorrow so can take things a bit easy.

Good work minni last night. Braver than me to go out in that temperature - they make them a lot harder up there than us southern softies

Sarah - hope you hear good news today

13/12/2012 at 10:26
Sarah - All the best Sarah and the rest, I hope one of you is picked.

Carot - Re your rant, at least they are in work. I know I went on about my company on my back re sick days when I had flu, but the flip side is you can have upto 6mnths off on full pay. It's amazing how many people seem to recover just before the 6mnths are up, and then after 6mnths at work it seems to reappear again. And there's some couples with kids, who both work for us, so one goes off six for 6mnths, and then when they come back the other one seems to go off sick. That's handy, as that's 12mnths of childcare they haven't
had to pay for, nice, and a 6mnth holiday each. So just remember, at least the moaners are in work. (that's my rant over)
M.r Zuvai    pirate
13/12/2012 at 10:36
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Have just entered Challenge Henley 1/2 See you there ST / MrZ / AA?

great news!  -

comm'on AA / Spoons / Minni/ Freemers - you sure we cant tempt you ?

M.r Zuvai    pirate
13/12/2012 at 10:41

Massive good luck to all the Ascics troops  - hope you get the call you want!

im really enjoying the excitement thats building for the Spring marathon cycle

13/12/2012 at 11:24

Man Flu tablets prescribed for Freemers, hope you're feeling better 

Actually there is definitely something going around, my missus who gave me flu/ chest thing on Nov 1st two days before that half I had booked, still hasn't got rid of it fully, its come back last week, gone and now returned this week. Bit like O4S?

I'm helping her train for her first run over a half marathon, hilly Hebden 22 miler, maybe training is too much for her at the moment with chest problem?

2old, cat not kitten, Stanley is nearly 2. and not going soft... lots of races planned Dec-Feb. League race this Sunday, Club handicap Sunday after, Ribble 10k Sunday after that, with a slow time on feet marathon planned for day after, new years eve. There will be cake ! Jan/ Feb have 2 club races, that 22 hilly miler with my missus and doing a half marathon the day after, all so ready for the 50 mile ultra Feb 2nd.

kfc, the 3 days running got me 3:28 in the spring. Tons of exercises you can add to that core framework of yours.

Squats would be the obvious exercise you're not doing - body weight, sumo, goblet, split.. lots of variants. Worth getting 1-2 kettle bells,  8/12/16 lb if you dont have any weights, just about the best single thing you can buy to exercise, do some kb swings, presses or box step ups to work the hips, arms legs and core. You can then also do your current situps holding the kettle bell against chest, or lifting above head.

Great session Minni, whats that one called, the Kitchen Sink? its got everything in.

Hope Sarah gets in.

13/12/2012 at 11:46

Right I'm off for 5 nights / 4 days of walking, running and drinking in Devon.  Don't know if there is any wireless in the place so I might not reappear until the middle of next week.

Good Luck to all the racers this weekend and obviously to Sarah.  Hope there is good news when I get back..........................

13/12/2012 at 11:46

awww, poor Freemers . Hope you recover quickly!

kfc: that's one hell of a core sesh! I do about 1/4 of that every 3 months or so .

Minni and DD: well done for getting those reps in. Especially Minni, in those conditions!

Spoons. wrote (see)

I did my 400s on Tuesday. Did 16. One guy thought that wasn't enough so did 20 plus a mile rep on the end! 

why would anyone do more reps than they had to ??

Hey, now I have those emoticons too . Strangely enough they weren't showing on my work computer.

Day off today . I worked long and hard yesterday and apparently they don't need me today so I can use up some of my accrued hours of overtime. Just as well - another 5 or 6 cm of fresh snow this morning. Beautiful. I decided to mess about offroad for a change and spent about 2 hours and 20 mins in the fields. It was lovely but hard going too. The snow was ankle deep all the time. I did about 14.5 miles but I never care about my offroad pace. I know it's shit. It was great to be out there alone with only some deer, a squirrel and birds for company.

Crossing my fingers for you, Sarah! When will you be told?

13/12/2012 at 11:55

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/46278/gallery/holiday_workout.jpg?width=350

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.