RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,201 to 24,220 of 36,145 messages
12/12/2012 at 17:54
Chick your weather sounds worse than ours. Well done for getting out.
12/12/2012 at 18:02
Lovely photos Mr Z

Moraghan - that's put me right off my dinner I'm not sure about being coached by OH...mine is a strength and conditioning coach and has tried to do proper s&c programmes for me before, but I just get annoyed when I can't do it and get no sympathy from him! I just thank goodness he doesn't do actual running coaching or I might have to find another sport or another OH

FRC - Stanley is v.cute. Our puppy would have fun with him

10k on the treadmill today, with 4 miles @ MP - approx 10 seconds (I say approx as I've not quite settled on my MP yet, but these were between 7.15 and 7.30 each).
12/12/2012 at 18:14

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-29Wjx3HhuwM/UMdHePivGtI/AAAAAAAAAl8/XP9q2aFVWuY/s403/60971_10151550697678572_2031792985_n.jpg]Man%20Flutablets

Classic.

FRC, i love it....I wonder if I can prescribe this!

Minni your much braver than me, although once im warmed up im usually ok, its just the standing at the start line that I struggle with!

12/12/2012 at 18:15

No running for me today....just about to start my third clinic of the day. Hopefully finish by 9 though so aiming to do a few lengths in the pool on my way home.

12/12/2012 at 18:32

Sarah - any news yet??

Freemers -   My MP miles are just at my current MP, not what I hope it to be in April.

Mr Minni told me last night that he as thinking of getting me a strength and conditioning programme for my Christmas.   A 6 week course - 6 hours per week.  He'd seen it on the shopping channel!  I asked when exactly I'd get time to do this and he reckoned I could just fit it in.    When I then said I was going to go on turbo for an hour his face dropped and immediately started complaining that I'm always doing something.  I rest my case!

12/12/2012 at 20:05
Hi Fit Running Cat, nice to meet you, love Moel Famau, train up there and race up there, a great race at the Cilcain Show in August. I do the Border Leagues not unfortunately not this weekend I'm working nights, did the Helena Tipping a few weeks ago and got the Chester Round the Walls on Boxing Day
12/12/2012 at 20:05

Treble today became a pseudo quadruple as number 3 was split by a session in the GP sugery having four more lumps burned off with liquid nitrogen [or should that be frozen off??]  Anyway it has left me with two very sore hands to go with my two very tired legs so  day off tomorrow methinks

Loving the Man-Flu tablets - showed BA and he thought it was hilarious until I pointed out that I was showing him because he is a prime candidate for the tablets

We are off to Devon after work tomorrow for 5 nights in a first floor apartment overlooking the sea - so hoping for some good winds and high seas - as well as four days walking on Exmoor and the coastal path.  Typical that the weather is going to change to warm, wet and windy - give me cold and sunny any day.

Minni:  Do you think Mr Minni is dropping a hint or can he just not think of a present??  BA and I agreed to stop buying each other presents a number of years ago after he caught me taking the Size 20 jumper he had bought me to the charity shop [he says size 10 and 20 don't sound that different.....

12/12/2012 at 20:08

Sarah..........highly amusing........I can think of a good number of people I could give a high dosage of these to in my office.

O4S/ Barry.....Thanks very much for your opinions regarding splitting up daily runs into smaller amounts. I'd only do it if struggling for timing to get a full run in. 

Apologies for yet another question ........how many rest days do people have? I normally take 1-2 rest days per week (depending on how long my long run at the weekend is). I thought this was pretty standard until I saw MyAsics plan that shows plans for only 2, 3 or 4 days. 

12/12/2012 at 20:37
Sarah, definitely need to prescribe my man flu tablets.

O4S Funny that BA didn't get why you were showing him them. I was thinking of him. I liked the HTFU phrase. Made me laugh.

Minni 6 hours S&C is silly. An hour per week is easily enough if you're cross training.

Shady, I do 2 rest days and run 3 times a week, occassionally 4. Just returned from S&C class plus a circuit on Friday or Saturday. Race and a long run after on Sunday.. Sure many on here will be doing 4,5 or 6 days so ignore asics.

Anyone racing at weekend ? Someone posted about some being cancelled.
Edited: 12/12/2012 at 20:38
12/12/2012 at 20:48
Shady - I have one day rest and run 6 days, sometimes twice a day. Occasionally if in recovery or taper I'll have 2 days rest.

O4S - I've told him exactly what I want for Christmas - a pair of wireless headphones that I can plug into the telly and wear on the treadmill so I don't wake the whole house up in the mornings. Also the diamond earrings that go on every list a write.

Killer sesh done. It's completely iced up again here so I was limited to where I could run. Hated it but at least that's another one out the way.
Edited: 12/12/2012 at 20:49
12/12/2012 at 20:55
No run today. Chinese food kept coming over four hours. I'm as fat and bloated as Moras picture. Lots to run off over the next few days
FRC- nice kitten. Have you gone soft? What races in the area have you got planned for Jan and Feb. ?
12/12/2012 at 21:49

1 or 2 rest days is about right

12/12/2012 at 21:51

Thanks guys. Happy to hear that. I think I would get depressed if I was only running 3 times a week! 

12/12/2012 at 22:06

Minni / Sarah I'm hoping to be somewhere in between the two of you at BM!  Sarah I ran last year in tights long sleeve top and a tshirt over the top.  I ran it at marathon pace so wasn't racing or anything, I didn't end up warm.  Might get the legs out this time round....

Nice photos Zuvai!

O4S that reminds me when I used to live with a friend and we'd be frugal with the heating, we were having a little party and as someone was coming in someone shouted, "Quick, shut that door you're letting the warm in!" We do have ours on for half an hour before we get up on a morning but it doesn't come on until after 7pm on a night.  Encourages us to get out for a run!

Lovely addition to the family FRC, love the man flu tablets!

AA yes we finally got a win last night, out of the relagation zone for at least a few days before we play Man United away on Saturday

Shady I run six days a week.

13 done tonight with Parsnip, I'm enjoying our weekly MLR together  Company is nice when you're out for nearly 2 hours in freezing fog.  

12/12/2012 at 22:42
No news yet Minni. I think I'm going to be sat by my phone all day tomorrow just incase it rings. Not sure how I will explain it to my patients though if it happens mid sentence or examination! My OH once bought me a flute for christmas, because I had mentioned once that I would like to learn how to play the saxophone???

I'm looking forward to meeting you both at BM. At the moment that's my next proper race, although if I don't make it into the final 5 I've the Santa special in Sheffield to run on Sunday. I do like racing in shorts but it's a long sleeve top for me throughout winter. Will need to remember the black sack that I always forget!

Carrotmas 13 miles on a Wednesday night is very impressive. I only finished work at 8:40pm so I just went for a swim, did 1000m front crawl. Hopefully my legs will be feeling all fresh tomorrow now, ready to tackle the training run suggested by Minni!
12/12/2012 at 23:54
ST - welcome aboard the recovery train!

Gazelle/ST - my core session is currently the below, it works round the whole area, but I'm planning on doing some research on new exercises in case there's anything good I'm missing.

Full body stretch session to start
-
4x30 sit ups on a ball - (set each of front, left, right, up)
Plank with arms on ball x2, legs on ball x2
Repeat
-
5x20 sit ups on floor - (set each front, left, right, up, leg lowers)
Planks on ground - front and both sides
Repeat
-
Side crunches on ball
Dorsal raises on ball
-
Foam roller calves

The physio today liked my plan for getting back into it, and my calves are much less tight now. She's all for the core - her view is its by far the most important part of my recovery plan. At the moment its easy for me to do it 5 times a week, as I start being able to do more running I'll cut it back to 2 per week.

FRC - interesting you did something similar - did you do a spring marathon after your comeback this year?
By cross training I mean lsr type training - mine will be long bike rides or swims rather than gym work. Plan is to reawaken the aerobic base without making my body take too much mileage.
No, don't plan on doing more than 1x 20 this spring. While not optimal its enough to get me round ok this time - don't want to risk injury by planning more.
13/12/2012 at 00:39
Shady - I'm in the less is more camp, so just 3x runs plus 2x x-training a week.

Sarah - Will those manflu tablets improve my eyesight?

So went to the gym tonight for the first bit of exercise after my crash. Tried some intervals on the TM, just 4x 1/2m with 2min recovery. Took the 1st one easy @ 7mmp, then the other 3 @ 6.40mmp. Left knee, thigh and hip all ok, just sore by ribs, but should be ok for longer run on Friday hopefully.

FRC - Stanley looks great. When we lost are cat after 13yrs we said never again. But 6mnths later we got another from cat rescue center.
13/12/2012 at 05:00

Shady -   Come January when the plan kicks in it'll be 6 days running and 1 days rest, but at least one of those days will be a short slow/recovery run.  I tried 3 days a week during the summer but my running was suffering and switching to 6 days certainly turned it around.

Good luck to all the ASICS hopefuls.

Dubai Dave    pirate
13/12/2012 at 05:38

Morning, keeping up with you lot isn't easy

Shady: I take one rest day every 10 days, but then I don't run everyday preferring to X train. 

Sarah: Hope that they put you out of your misery soon, personally I think that the Asics 6 is a poisoned chalice and there have been some spectacular failures over the years but maybe its perfect for you, so fingers crossed.

Last night was a 5K warm up then 12 x 400 off 45 second recoveries which went 

90/ 83 / 84 / 85 / 85 / 84 / 83 / 88 / 84 / 81 / 81 / 77 so one loosener and the rest were there or there abouts, I'll take that as I still have a head cold which is more annoying than debilitating, no need for Man Flu pills here. Dis anyone else actually do their 400's???

Swim today, 90K bike race tomorrow, 10K race Saturday. I have somehow got seeded in the B start for the bike race starting right after the Pro's and local teams so now I'm going to have to work my butt off tomorrow just to stay with all the speedy guys around me 

13/12/2012 at 06:30

I did mine!

We're still iced up and it was -7 when I went out last night.  I was in two minds whether to attempt the 400s outside or to come back home on the TM but I didn't fancy the last mile on it so stayed out.  They were not very even, mainly because of the ice.  I did them along an A road that had been gritted but every time a car came I had to jump on the icy pavement. 

3 m easy: 9:09; 8:22; 8:14
0.5 m strides: 7:30
2 m MP: 7:27; 7:23
6 x 400:  100 /95 /99 /94 /98 / 96
1 m 10KP: 6:52
0.5 c/d

I'm coming home early to do my 11 miles today.  So excited to get it done in the light!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.