RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,221 to 24,240 of 36,995 messages
13/12/2012 at 06:51

I did my 400s on Tuesday. Did 16. One guy thought that wasn't enough so did 20 plus a mile rep on the end! 

Dubai Dave    pirate
13/12/2012 at 07:03

Have just entered Challenge Henley 1/2 See you there ST / MrZ / AA?

13/12/2012 at 07:45
Hi Simon, it does look like a miracle tablet, so anything could be possible!

DD, thank you. We are supposed to find out today so not long now. Even if I don't get through, or get the time I'm wanting I've still gained so much from entering the competition. I didn't even know that these forums existed until BC, and now I've met so many nice people on them. I would like to go through, but only time will tell. If I don't make it, then I'm not what the RW/ASICS team are looking for, it's been fabulous to be a part of something so huge and it will be great to follow those who do get through (+/- myself) throughout their 4 month journey. I remember reading about the finalists last year and thinking wow, I would love to be one of them, and now I've been a part of it all!

Hope you all have a good run today.
13/12/2012 at 09:22
Looks like 400s are the new 5miler! Nice work on a very icy night Minni. Spoons I don't know why some people insist on doing more like that, just push yourself hard enough on the session you've been given instead of doing more reps!

Good luck for your races over the next few days DD.

Sarah you're dedicated getting a swim in after such a long day! When do you find out about if you're in or not? The forum six is surely yours if you don't get in

(Rant alert) Does anyone else work with a bunch of hypochondriacs? Some of my colleagues have different have something different wrong with them every week! If they don't have a sore throatit's a bad head, if they don't have a bad eye they're tired, if it's not that their shoulder is hurting they have a bad stomach. It's like the boy who cried wolf, I've stopped having any sympathy for them any more as there's something wrong every week. HTFU!! Then there's others who have lost their wife, mother in law or have a parent suffering from Dementia who just get on with things when they're the ones who deserve a hug. (Rant over)
13/12/2012 at 10:08

I think I may need some of those man flu tablets - definitely coming down with something. It started on the way home yesterday with my throat just starting to feel tight and itchy...it developed into a cough pretty quick and now I feel pretty shite. Not helped by a 90 minute delay on the train this morning and having to stand out in the cold while our broken down one was moved out of the way so we could get the next one. So I definitely will not be running today  I probably should be at home but have a couple of client meetings today and really can't miss them. At least I am working at home tomorrow so can take things a bit easy.

Good work minni last night. Braver than me to go out in that temperature - they make them a lot harder up there than us southern softies

Sarah - hope you hear good news today

13/12/2012 at 10:26
Sarah - All the best Sarah and the rest, I hope one of you is picked.

Carot - Re your rant, at least they are in work. I know I went on about my company on my back re sick days when I had flu, but the flip side is you can have upto 6mnths off on full pay. It's amazing how many people seem to recover just before the 6mnths are up, and then after 6mnths at work it seems to reappear again. And there's some couples with kids, who both work for us, so one goes off six for 6mnths, and then when they come back the other one seems to go off sick. That's handy, as that's 12mnths of childcare they haven't
had to pay for, nice, and a 6mnth holiday each. So just remember, at least the moaners are in work. (that's my rant over)
M.r Zuvai    pirate
13/12/2012 at 10:36
Dubai Dave wrote (see)

Have just entered Challenge Henley 1/2 See you there ST / MrZ / AA?

great news!  -

comm'on AA / Spoons / Minni/ Freemers - you sure we cant tempt you ?

M.r Zuvai    pirate
13/12/2012 at 10:41

Massive good luck to all the Ascics troops  - hope you get the call you want!

im really enjoying the excitement thats building for the Spring marathon cycle

13/12/2012 at 11:24

Man Flu tablets prescribed for Freemers, hope you're feeling better 

Actually there is definitely something going around, my missus who gave me flu/ chest thing on Nov 1st two days before that half I had booked, still hasn't got rid of it fully, its come back last week, gone and now returned this week. Bit like O4S?

I'm helping her train for her first run over a half marathon, hilly Hebden 22 miler, maybe training is too much for her at the moment with chest problem?

2old, cat not kitten, Stanley is nearly 2. and not going soft... lots of races planned Dec-Feb. League race this Sunday, Club handicap Sunday after, Ribble 10k Sunday after that, with a slow time on feet marathon planned for day after, new years eve. There will be cake ! Jan/ Feb have 2 club races, that 22 hilly miler with my missus and doing a half marathon the day after, all so ready for the 50 mile ultra Feb 2nd.

kfc, the 3 days running got me 3:28 in the spring. Tons of exercises you can add to that core framework of yours.

Squats would be the obvious exercise you're not doing - body weight, sumo, goblet, split.. lots of variants. Worth getting 1-2 kettle bells,  8/12/16 lb if you dont have any weights, just about the best single thing you can buy to exercise, do some kb swings, presses or box step ups to work the hips, arms legs and core. You can then also do your current situps holding the kettle bell against chest, or lifting above head.

Great session Minni, whats that one called, the Kitchen Sink? its got everything in.

Hope Sarah gets in.

13/12/2012 at 11:46

Right I'm off for 5 nights / 4 days of walking, running and drinking in Devon.  Don't know if there is any wireless in the place so I might not reappear until the middle of next week.

Good Luck to all the racers this weekend and obviously to Sarah.  Hope there is good news when I get back..........................

13/12/2012 at 11:46

awww, poor Freemers . Hope you recover quickly!

kfc: that's one hell of a core sesh! I do about 1/4 of that every 3 months or so .

Minni and DD: well done for getting those reps in. Especially Minni, in those conditions!

Spoons. wrote (see)

I did my 400s on Tuesday. Did 16. One guy thought that wasn't enough so did 20 plus a mile rep on the end! 

why would anyone do more reps than they had to ??

Hey, now I have those emoticons too . Strangely enough they weren't showing on my work computer.

Day off today . I worked long and hard yesterday and apparently they don't need me today so I can use up some of my accrued hours of overtime. Just as well - another 5 or 6 cm of fresh snow this morning. Beautiful. I decided to mess about offroad for a change and spent about 2 hours and 20 mins in the fields. It was lovely but hard going too. The snow was ankle deep all the time. I did about 14.5 miles but I never care about my offroad pace. I know it's shit. It was great to be out there alone with only some deer, a squirrel and birds for company.

Crossing my fingers for you, Sarah! When will you be told?

13/12/2012 at 11:55

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/46278/gallery/holiday_workout.jpg?width=350

13/12/2012 at 12:05

I can't see those new emoticons on me work PC either....it's probably yet another glitch, along with the fact I can't change my forum name

Minni - that's my kinda workout

13/12/2012 at 12:10

I think the Asics have been announced and I'd just like to say congratulations to those who didn't get through!  You don't need a competition where you win the chance to follow a crap schedule and have your every moved watched to achieve your marathon dreams.  What you need is the motivation to train hard and follow a schedule that addresses your weaknesses and potential.   You are the real winners at the end of the day. 

now, get your pitches in on the Forum 6 thread!

13/12/2012 at 12:19

The Asics competition could provide a lot of extra amusement this year if they are using myasics for the plan.

13/12/2012 at 12:28

I didnt get through , infact I dont think anyone from my group did! something about jiggling the groups around. Looks like I can get drunk tomorrow night now at my OH christmas party, run the santa special on Sunday in fancy dress and join most of you down at VLM

Forum 6 here I come, although i dont know if I can handle two rejections in one week! Had better get to work, having a nightmare of a day so far

13/12/2012 at 12:35
Moraghan wrote (see)

The Asics competition could provide a lot of extra amusement this year if they are using myasics for the plan.

Watch it! 

Did the 2:20 chap get through.  That would be fun....

13/12/2012 at 12:40

Sarah, sorry you didn't get through because I know you really wanted it but honestly, your training and times will be much better without it.  You've clearly got so much potential you would have been wasted on the asics plans.

13/12/2012 at 12:41

Lots of posts to fail to keep up with so Spoons is right there are too many

Minni-excellent killer session in dangerous conditions.Ever thought about doing them on a TM , just think how pi'**ed off youd be if you slipped and injured yourself. Even the professionals do a bit of their speed sessions that way. Didnt know you were a ipod user ...and in a race....now we need to know your play list..

FRC-Secretly I knew you hadnt gone soft- thats a heavy load of racing. My list of definate races for the next 5 months is...VLM...pathetic and unworthy for this thread.

KFC-dont think it would be a good idea to do those exercises after the Chinese I had yesterday.

DD-what is a 400? never done any...maybe thats why Im slow and cant break 40mins for 10k. When is that half IM?

Chick-dont you think you should be wearing XC skis not running in that snow? I wouldn concern yourself with the speed just doing a run like that is enough

Simon-good to see you recovering and a good TM session too

Shady-I rest when circumstances conspire to prevent me running but ideally I try and do a minimum of 4 runs pw ideal;ly 5/6 in the last month before taper and in the earllier months rest days will often include a swim/ergo row or spinnning.

Free -that was a great TM session too-not enough TM work done by the guys on here but then I dont like the rain or cold

Sarah-Iwant those pills can you send me a prescription please. So you run, play net ball and swim...what else?

Pauls-I used to run around those walls when I was in College in Chester only trouble was crashing into the Chinese tourists. The run around the race course was good though the grass was a bit long and we had to watch out for horses

So I ran off the Banquet this morning-10.32 miles steady pace -it was to icy for anything faster(thats my excuse anyway) Beautiful sunny frosty morning--not much to better it apart from standing on the top of a mountain in the Alps looking at the view ready to ski down.

13/12/2012 at 12:43

Sarah-thats a shame-you would have been perfect for it.Never mind youll do better with us.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.