RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,241 to 24,260 of 37,591 messages
13/12/2012 at 16:35

Sarah, Sorry to hear you didn't get in. As minni says, Go for the Forum 6. I think its better anyway to be honest, from what others achieved in previous year.

kfc, things to change based on 3 runs a week. hmmm. I did the target I aimed for, whats to improve? Maybe...helping 2-3 others go for autumn marathons Thursday tempo run we did a lot more MP miles at 8mm specific pace. I generally did mine faster than MP (say 7:30 and below) with the long runs much slower than MP, so worked speed and then endurance... I never felt one paced though so still worked. Next time, I'll do more 20 milers, 5-7, first one for VLM sort of this weekend but its for the ultra really. my pal/ protegee did 3:37 off 2 x 20 milers so it is do-able.

Santa Baby chickadeee wrote (see)
kfc: that's one hell of a core sesh! I do about 1/4 of that every 3 months or so .

All a matter of perspective - what you're used to .. I actually thought it looked good as a warm up?  For example, weekly speed strength session yesterday had us doing situps with 10kg plates on our chest, and different squats/ lunges with 20-70kg on the bar, plus other things. On the other hand, wouldn't get me doing 16 x 400 or even 20.

13/12/2012 at 17:02

ah, I've just had the best run.     So good to be out without looking at the clock, without having to rush and to be able to get out on the open roads.  11m @ 8:09 was faster than it should have been but it felt so good! 

13/12/2012 at 17:27

Minni- sounds like a cracker

M.r Zuvai    pirate
13/12/2012 at 17:33
Minni wrote (see)

ah, I've just had the best run.     So good to be out without looking at the clock, without having to rush and to be able to get out on the open roads.  11m @ 8:09 was faster than it should have been but it felt so good! 

i have a confession!  i havn't run with a GPS all winter!!!!  

naked and slow has been the game

13/12/2012 at 17:46

DD  - Very nice 400's.

Minni - Very good session last night and looks like a good pace to me on today's 11 miler.

Carrot - not too bad where I work apart from one bloke who looks on the internet for every ache/pain he has and then gives us all the details of what he might/might not have.

Sarah -  Commiserations but with your current running times you will be going sub 3:30 with or without Asics.

Same to you DS2, Paul  stick around and join in  the fun of Jantastic.

Shady -  Congrats, hope you enjoy the experience.

5 miles done this afternoon nice and slow.

13/12/2012 at 18:06
Unlucky sarah but I swear you'll be better off here.

Chick - hope you enjoyed your day off. Nice to get a decent xc run in.

Minni - glad you enjoyed your run. Bloody quick!

O4S - have a lovely weekend.

DD - cant believe you've entered. I'm feeling the pressure now! I would love to do Henley. I think the Reading Olympic tri is the week before so would be good timing. Henley is hilly though!!! Would be good to join you boys

16 miles for me this morning along the canal. Was minus 2 when I set off and not much warmer when I finished.
13/12/2012 at 18:19
Heading home with 2 new kettlebells clinking in my bag - gonna have fun adding to my core session tonight!

Chick - I hear you, but I'm really glad to be getting back into doing core again. Used to do it regularly and I found it really helps with high volume training. V glad to be back into it.

Nice run minni!
13/12/2012 at 19:56

Sarah, I'd have been livid if I was in your situation. In fact I'm quite cross with runner's world just as a voter . I also voted for Mel but wouldn't have if she was in your category. Maybe RW thought that they were getting too many people going for around about the same time, but if that's the case they should sort out the categories better in the first place or accept that's what the forum is interested in.

However, agree with what the others have said that you're probably better without it. Particularly when you're already busy it can be quite a lot of pressure. The My Asics plans also sound interesting . Hope you have better luck with the forum 6, or just stick around here as there's loads of fantastic knowledge.

FRC, that cat is cute!

13/12/2012 at 20:01
Hello all, I like Sarah (sorry about the knock back Sarah) didn't get through in the Asics competition in my catagory in fact none if us did, but I do still share Sarah's now burning ambition to get sub 3:30, that's why I'm here and that's why I'm staying here and to have a laugh along the way
13/12/2012 at 21:44
Paul - tough luck but you didn't need it anyway.
Minni- that was what running is all about - just enjoying the moment- I had much the same experience today too. Best running in day light
Mr Z-careful. Running naked results in frostbite
ST - very tempting where is the web site for Henley? I suppose I could google
AA- cracking 16 miler. Was the canal frozen as some parts of those here are
FRC- Ribble 10k? I wonder....
Might crank up the TM tomorrow
13/12/2012 at 21:54
Thank you ever so much everyone for the kind messages and support. I think I'm more annoyed at RW for changing the goal posts than not getting through. I have really spent every spare second on here over the last week and have neglected so much.....which I started to catch back up with today. As much as I would have loved to be in London on Sunday getting kitted out and going on an all expenses trip to Paris, I was gutted that I was going to miss the Santa special on Sunday and have to drive all the way down to London in this weather. I was also starting to see how much work was involved. Being knocked back has probably given me more determination to get my sub 3:30, and I certainly won't be using myASICS to get it.

I voted straight away before I got the chance to get to know people which was a mistake.....but any way I voted for mel aswell due to her story....so I actually voted for the person who knocked me out...how ironic!

I've been a little nauty today, instead of going for my run, I was talked into going for a meal with my "neglected" husband tonight....feeling extremely guilty after eating duck and cashew nut noodle stir fry and having a bailys coffee! Heads back down tomorrow though for my LSR, followed by core work at the gym (and let's not forget my forum 6 application)!
13/12/2012 at 22:07
Ah bless your OH Sarah. He'll think all this marathon nonsense is over now but little does he know, it's only just begun!
13/12/2012 at 22:09

Sarah - great news you didn't get through. Chances are it would only have ruined your spring. Now you can get down to the serious business of marathon training

I'm too busy and too tired Rubbish session tonight I keep missing runs and therefore I am getting slower I've got a 10 mile race on Sunday and I'm not sure I can even get round 10 miles at the minute

13/12/2012 at 22:41
He did actually threaten to divorce me last year when I was training for VLM and he did say I can only do one more marathon......but we will see! He has recently been running 2 miles to work and back and has lost half a stone so I'm sure it won't be long before he catches the bug (fingers crossed). He did use run for his school, district and county (? Durham) when he was 14-15 so there must be something there which can be reignited!

Haha, thanks spoons, I'm feeling more like a winner for not getting through!

Where's your race on Sunday?
13/12/2012 at 22:44

Suffolk

13/12/2012 at 22:50
You need to make more time Spoons. Suffolk? Where's that - south of Newcastle?
13/12/2012 at 22:51
AA - nice 16!
13/12/2012 at 22:56
Spoons-don't worry. You have to peak in April not January.
Sarah- I sometimes think my OH will give me that ultimatum but a marathon in a foreign city usually wins her round. . She wasnt impressed when I ran our local one in Liverpool this October.
14/12/2012 at 00:37
2old - You should of done Newcastle, as they speak foreign there, and takes ages to get to!

Sarah - You know what us men are like, we don't like being told what to do. So rather than ram his head full of marathon stuff, you need to plant the seed in his head, so he actually thinks he's come up with the idea of him running a marathon. It works every time!
A bit like what happened today, my OH had been going on about how I should go down to A & E to get my injury checked out, and I kept dismissing it. Then today I announced to her that I thought I might go and get it checked out, as thou it was my idea. Anyway nothing broken, and even if I had cracked a rib, they don't do anything nowadays anyway.
Btw which spring mara willyou be doing now?
14/12/2012 at 05:42
Simon - good news nothing broken.

Sarah - your OH will get used to it again. You need to start your 9a running

2old - yep frozen canal.

Spoons - come on man. You should get up at 5 like chick bro and minni to get your runs in!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.