RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,261 to 24,280 of 37,504 messages
Dubai Dave    pirate
14/12/2012 at 06:50

Morning

Sarah / Paul: tough luck, RW really shouldn't be able to move the goal post, grossly unfair but given that their safe from any meaningful retribution from any of us they can of course do what they want. Mrs DD always thinks I will stop, running, cycling, swimming etc, its just doesn't happen.

Minni / AA : Nice runs in the cold

AA/ 2Old: Go on enter you know it makes sense

spoons: Good luck with the 10 miler.

So today was the Spinneys 92K (57 miles) bike race, up at 0430 and just before 0600 I was stood in the B seeding pen ( I was seeded on last years time, didn't think I was good enough for B) with a lot of very young fit looking guys and a couple of very presentable cyclist chicks!  Hooter sounded and were off, I'm immediately at the back thinking hell can I ride with these guys? Sprinted to get back on the peleton and settled down. Before I knew it we were hurtling around a construction site  close to the Burj Khalifa (worlds tallest building) at 40 KPH over speed bumps and around sharp corners all in the pitch dark with no street lights, bloody scary. Once the day dawned and we were on a straight road all was much better, we went along beach road and back out to the race course, all the time I was expecting someone to attack of the front several tried but they were soon caught. Eventually the peleton split in two and teh front half including myself was away, a frantic 8K sprint around the cycle track at over 30MPH and we crossed the line in 2 hours 15 mins, average speed 25.333MPH. 10 mins quicker than last year and it felt easier, must be fitter! Now on to tomorrows 10K.

14/12/2012 at 07:59
Envious of that bike race DD - sounds a lot of fun. Either you are fitter or you wheelsucked better
14/12/2012 at 08:16

DD - brilliant racing, you are flying at the moment

Spoons - good luck with the Turkey Trot on Sunday

Minni / AA - great running

And I have discovered the new emoticons as although I'm on my work PC I haven't logged on yet when I am sure they will disappear...so make the most of it

And I need this one as I am still feeling carp and won't be running today

14/12/2012 at 08:49
DD- bet you got a real buzz from that bike session. Fitter? Nah ...just pulled along by the fast guys. Very tempted to sign up ....but I've never cycled more than 40k
Simon- Newcastle? Isn't that in Scotland ? Nothing broken? So what was all the fuss about.? Minni will get the wrong impression about us guys
AA- you should have skated it.
Wondering how I'm going to fit something in today with work,trip to station, trip to Costco , christmas tree and tour of haunted Liverpool planned for me. That's how the OH tries to stop you running Sarah.
Dubai Dave    pirate
14/12/2012 at 09:07

2Old Challenge Henley is 9 months away, long enough to get fit enough to cycle 90K! Get that entry in, you too AA

14/12/2012 at 09:26
sarah osborne 4 wrote (see)
He did actually threaten to divorce me last year when I was training for VLM and he did say I can only do one more marathon......but we will see!

Lol Sarah- it doesn't get any easier! Although I think my OH is slowly beginning to resign himself to this madness. He wasn't even protesting too much when I announced that I am planning on training during our snowboarding trip next year. I got him a squash club membership for christmas hoping it will get him off my back a bit and provide me with some additional guilt free running time.

Spoons. wrote (see)

I'm too busy and too tired Rubbish session tonight I keep missing runs and therefore I am getting slower I've got a 10 mile race on Sunday and I'm not sure I can even get round 10 miles at the minute

Spoons- zip up you mansuit and get out there... No excuses!

Simon- glad to hear no serious damage has been done.

DD- great racing as always.

Free- hope you feel better soon.

Minni- what's you xc like tomorrow? What's the distance?

5.30 start this morning. 6m done @ 8:34 + core. 7.5m xc tomorrow.

14/12/2012 at 09:34

Hi all. Apologies for not posting at all yesterday. Cheeky beggars at work expected me to sit in meetings all day.

First of all I just want to say commiserations to Sarah, Paul and Andrew (and any other 26.2 runners on this thread). It was a sucker punch that no one from your group made it. I really hope with the help of this thread we can all reach our marathon goals next year.

Thanks all for your comments regarding rest days. It'll be interesting to compare the MyAsics training plan against what you have all said. 

Sarah - I think we have almost identical OHs (well, personality wise, not gender wise ). With his running to work,

I really hope he catches the bug. If he does catch the bug, will you start doing your runs with him? Or do you prefer having your runs as 'your own time?' I've often thought this question if my wife ever took up running. 

14/12/2012 at 10:28

Love the winter workout idea - but a bit too strenuous for me.  Screw top NZ wine is the way forward, although I am practising my technique to build stamina

Bad Luck Sarah - but at least you get to join the elite Green start party at VLM

Leaden skies and rain here - tucked up with a pot of tea and a book before venturing out later

14/12/2012 at 11:29
2old - I have never cycled more than 40 let alone get off and run a half. I can barely stand up straight!

DD - excellent racing. How long until your marathon?
14/12/2012 at 11:54
Spoons - confidence! Have faith in yourself, you can run 10 miles blindfolded.

40kph in the pitch black sounds scary DD! You're definitely getting fitter and faster, good to see all of your hard work is paying off for you

Sarah I'm marrying a fellow runner next year, I don't take for granted how lucky I am that he gets it too!

Good luck for your XC tomorrow Bro.
14/12/2012 at 12:17

Sarah, not getting though may well be a blessing in disguise. Get yourself a copy of the P&D book, stick around on here and you'll be flying in April . Sounds like a lovely meal with hubby. Sometimes we have to make amends and do stuff with our other halves .

DD: that was some seriously fast bike stuff. Good luck in the 10k!

Minni: great 11 miler!

14/12/2012 at 12:34

Yuk. Soaking wet out there now. 

DD - mental report. Sounds nuts - well done on the improvement. 

Spoons - even if you are the the bottom of a fitness cycle, it'll be useful to set a baseline in the 10 mile race. My 10K in September was the worst race time I had done in 2 years, but it was the darkness before dawn.

Bro - 7.5mi XC. Ouch, that's a fairly long one. What league do you run in? 

14/12/2012 at 13:55

DD - good stuff and good luck with the 10k. 

Oh yes Sarah you can now come to the green party.  Who needs Paris.

Forum Tri sounds exciting but not for me next year.

14/12/2012 at 14:25
Ant P wrote (see)

Bro - 7.5mi XC. Ouch, that's a fairly long one. What league do you run in? 

Ant- ouch indeed.  I normally run for the Surrey League but these are South of Thames Champs.

14/12/2012 at 14:35

Brol - my xc country tomorrow is part of the North East Harrier League, approx 4 miles.  Apparently I start in the last wave since its the first one I've done.  Its the darkest, wettest day here today so looks like it'll be muddy.  I'll get to wear my spikes! 

14/12/2012 at 14:58
Minni - Have a good time in the mud tomorrow.

DD - Great bike race report, sounds like fun and scary, I hope you did you're bit for the brits.

I should be doing my lsr today, but my side and the weather have made me chicken out.. Might go down the gym on the TM later.
Edited: 14/12/2012 at 15:01
14/12/2012 at 15:04
Simon - there's nothing wrong with your side, even the doc said so, and it might be raining on marathon day. What I'm trying to say is: zip up and JFDI!.

There'll be no slacking in January.
14/12/2012 at 15:12

Bro - definitely sounds like it will be brutal then 

Minni - final wave?! Didn't you tell them who you are?! 

14/12/2012 at 15:47

Woo hoo - I have finally been able to change my name

Simon - I don't blame you for not wanting to run in that weather....don't let Minni boss you around, until January at least

Minni - have fun at the XC

I am achy all over now...and I need a new box of tissues

14/12/2012 at 15:54

Me at lunchtime: "Look, it seems like it's clearing up, there are some people out there walking around without umbrellas. I reckon I'll take a chance and get out for a run." I managed three and a bit miles before returning looking like a drowned rat, to general hilarity in the office.   

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.