RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,281 to 24,300 of 37,116 messages
14/12/2012 at 17:27

Minni- sounds serious.  I've never done one where you start in waves. Have a good one and don't stress.

14/12/2012 at 17:47

It sounds like most of us on here are in the same boat with their OH (except lucky MC) which is reassuring as your all still doing it  . Shady, I would like to do half my runs with him and the other half on my own I think....I do treasure my "me time" quite alot. I guess if one of us is quicker than the other then we can run together but alone if that makes sense. He doesnt let me run on my own when its dark so all my after work runs at the moment are usually on a treadmil unless I finish in time to join my running club up here, which isnt often.

Well, to celebrate not going through to the final 5, ive bought a Mrs Claus outfit for sunday, sorted out my transport and hotel for London (all expenses paid for my OH - so that should keep him happy) and have arranged to go to France with my running club in March, who are going to visit our twined club over there for the third year running (again all expenses paid for my OH.....im learning 2Old)!

Despite being disappointed that im not running in Paris, I would have also been disappointed if I couldnt run VLM aswell next year, so many of you and a few of my friends are running it, it would have been a shame not to have been a part of it aswell......Green starting line here I come

Ran a nice 13 miles today, enjoyed every minute of it without the pressure of the ASICS26.2 upon my shoulders

14/12/2012 at 17:47

DD your race this morning sounded so exciting

14/12/2012 at 18:24
Sarah - we have champagne for breaky on the green start!
14/12/2012 at 18:25

DD -  I know very little about cycling apart from watching the Tour but your race sounds very impressive and you are now racing  with the big boys.

My OH does not understand my running obsession but enjoys the trips.

Good luck to weekends racers, Ant go smash the 5K, Brol and Minni -  enjoy the mud,  Spoons  set off steady and kick on from halfway, DD - take your bike performance through to the 10K.

WTF is wrong with this world, reports of 27 dead at a school in the states including 14 little ones.  If people have got issues and can't cope why do they feel they've got to take other lives, it is a very sad world we live in.

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 18:28
14/12/2012 at 19:25

Yes barry, what is wrong with some people.   Very sad.

Brol - me neither.  The Borders League that I've done in the past is just 2 starts: one for the kids and one for the adults.   This one seems to have lots of starts with junior waves going first, followed by men then finally ladies.  It could be a long day!  If you've not done one before you're put on the slowest wave but can then get moved up a wave at the next one if you finish in the first 20, or something like that.   

Good luck with yours.

Yes, we have champers on the green start but be warned Sarah, we tend to get mobbed by celebs wanting their photo taken with us. 

Ant - hope its a good one for you tomorrow.  What's the weather like? 

Spoons - just think of it as a 10m tempo.

14/12/2012 at 19:45
Barry - Yes your right, but heaven forbid that those crazy yanks change the law re right to bear arms. I feel for the innocent bystanders, but they've only got themselves to blame, cus they want to carry guns cus it makes them feel save, crazy.

Minni - Well I hit the TM with iPod listening to Marathon talk. Ideally I wanted to do 12/13m, but only managed 8m in 1:10 @8.45. My side is still very sore honest. If I could upload a photo of my bruise, you maybe more sympathetic, you tough task master. I'm just glad I did it before proper training starts in Jan and before jantastic, otherwise you really would be on my case.
I hope you don't fall in any muddy holes upto your neck tomorrow hehe.
14/12/2012 at 20:20

Just checking Jantastic and trying to see who's missing...
Daren
Becs
Cooks
Oompa
(or are you in?  There's a name I don't recognise)
2old
Kev
Moz

Carrot does Parsnip want to join?  He was made an honorary member of TM at the TM!

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 20:20
14/12/2012 at 20:30

Minni - I'm in, or have you forgotten me already

14/12/2012 at 20:32

I know you're in - that's why your name is not on the 'name and shame' list!   Well done for getting on the TM  today.  8 miles on that is like 20 outside in my books. 

14/12/2012 at 21:02
sarah osborne 4 wrote (see)

It sounds like most of us on here are in the same boat with their OH (except lucky MC) which is reassuring as your all still doing it  . 

Not me! I used to be big time and it became such an issue I left her. No problems with that anymore

Minni - good point - we don't want Parsnip joining those 3:15 lot

enjoy the XC tomorrow. If you've had anywhere near as much as rain as we have you'll need a snorkel, not spikes.

14/12/2012 at 21:39
Minni - Sorry, misread it. Are we a large team yet?
Why haven't you changed your name yet, even Freemers has, or are you in the Scrooge camp with spoons and O4S hehe?
14/12/2012 at 22:05

Andy - Lunchtime runs are all about humiliation in front of colleagues.  I once fell over during one and was coming back along towards work while my boss was smoking offsite along the main road.  He looked horrified when he saw me, I hadn't realised my leg was pouring with blood  

I'll get Parsnip to get signed up to Jantastic, he'll be up for it and will be joining the best team (ie, Team Minni) I'm sure

14/12/2012 at 22:13

Not far off.  If Parsnip signs up and Cooks will that's 20.  Becs was part of the team last year so there's a place saved for her.

I hadn't changed my name because I couldn't but I've done it now.

I've invited Malcs to join us.  One of the Asics shortlist and also aiming for 3:30.  He's similar to other guys.  Fast at the shorter end but struggling to keep it up for the duration.   

14/12/2012 at 22:22

When does everyone need to sign up by?

Good luck tomorrow Minni, I'll be thinking of you while I'm having a pint somewhere in Manchester

14/12/2012 at 23:04

I think before the 1st January Carrot.   And number of runs can be changed before that too but not after.

15/12/2012 at 00:11
Ant, DD - expecting some swift times from you both tomorrow, and some good XC placings from minni and bro. Looking forward to hearing all about it!
15/12/2012 at 07:10
No report yet DD...?
Dubai Dave    pirate
15/12/2012 at 07:46

Morning, I'm here Minni

Dubai Dessert Run 10K.

Poor nights sleep thanks to a wandering DD1, woke up to a cool, windy dark morning, hmm not a good start. Drove out to the Rugby grounds where the race is held, even windier and cooler. Right thats all the excuses in, well other than the last one, head cold still lingering, no sore throat but still have my very own snot producing factory, enough excuses now?

So 0700 finds me stood on the start line right at the front as I've looked around and reckon I'm good for a top 30 finish, move to the left to avoid being behind the fat bird with headphones who clearly has no idea that there are at least 60 whippets behind her.  Hooter sounds and I fall into my plan, run as fast as I can, simple plans are often the best. 

1K 3-53 tucked in nicely with a longtime rival triathlete.
2K 4-07 Up hill into the wind, find a tall man to hide behind
3K 4-02 Flat section, strong cross wind, stay in same place but long time rival pulling way,
4K 4-04 round the roundabout and head down wind, get passed by 2
5K 4-08 back into the wind and then down the hill, overtake teh two who passed me.
6K  4-04Second lap of the course, maintain position 
7K 4-10 Back up the hill gaining on the guy in front, count the guys coming towards me and realise I'm 15th overall, no one in front is in my age group.
8K 4-03 Go for it, on the heels of the guy I've been catching, he's now pulling me.
9K 4-00 still on his heels
10K  3-42 Stagger across line

15th Overall, 1st M50 (Blingtastic), 40-13 by Garmin. PB by 1 minute 10 seconds.  Now what could I do rested, without a bike race the day before!!

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/45388/gallery/img_5169.jpg?width=350

15/12/2012 at 08:05
Great work Dave. What do you put your PB down to? Hopefully you'll break 40 mins next time out.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.