RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

24,801 to 24,820 of 36,989 messages
27/12/2012 at 20:11

Well done O4S x 2, impressive racing in naff conditions, congrats on the bling.

Sarah -  Nice racing, good time on a muddy course. But you must get your priorities right regarding long runs or face Minni's wrath.

AA -  Nice long one, don't worry about a day off, i've taken the whole week off.

2old -  Good pace on your run.

DD, Freemers - Nice pacy repeats.

Don't know if it's a mid life crisis or I'm bored cause i'm not running but so far this week, for the first time ever, I have made bread,scones and a steak pie.  Last night on the red tonight as YKW beckons Saturday looks like windy and wet again.

27/12/2012 at 20:34

Free- nice YKW on Christmas day and a very respectable time. Great reps today as well.

Chick- intervals on Christmas day- respect!

O4S- great racing yesterday and today.

Minni- glad you managed to feed everyone. Are you hangover free today?

Spoons- I can't believe you were swimming in the sea. Good luck with the intervals.

AA- nice 16 miler.

DD- nice intervals there, I wish it was my 10k pace at the best of times not to mention with all the christmas wine/ food in the system.

Sarah- good race and a very respectable pace in those conditions. As the others say, the miles will come. Minni will make sure of it.

2Old- that's a speedy 12 miler.

8m for me today @ 8:24. I was supposed to be doing a 5m off road race on Saturday but after seeing the state of the common yesterday I've decided to give it a miss.  Would rather get a good speed session in and leave swimming in mud until next week's xc.

27/12/2012 at 20:55

Sounds like a tough course O4S, well done bagging another trophy!

AA / DD good results yesterday indeed!  I has forgot what it felt like to win a match.

Some great racing from Freemers and Sarah!

Enjoy spinning tomorrow Minni.  +1 on the 'must do more core' train.

Hope the 5 x 1K went well Spoons and the shins didn't complain?

There's been alot of hunting down of blonde ponytails lately.  Should I be worried?!

To the XC regulars:  I've entered my first XC race today.  It sounds like a really competitive one with the word 'National' in the title (at Sunderland on 23rd February Minni if you're going to be there?)  Any advice?  I'm likely to be very shit, I won't be aiming to beat anyone or anything, I just want to manage to stay upright. 

27/12/2012 at 21:05
Carrot- I'm a bit of a regular but rather shit so not sure I should be advising. For me the nice thing about Xc is that there is no time pressure- you can forget about the pace and just try to enjoy it. I treat it more as a good training session than a race (which doesn't mean I don't end up killing myself in the process). Do you know what the terrain is meant to be like? Do you have spikes?
Sunderland is actually on my list, I might do it.
27/12/2012 at 21:10

Nice racing Sarah & O4S

Carrot - just go for it and take the centre line through the middle of the muddy puddles

27/12/2012 at 21:12

Bro - I am now the proud owner of spikes!  I'm sure you're far from shit if you're a regular.  I don't know about the terrain - Sunderland isn't the flattest of places - but there's ten races on that day in total and the senior ladies are on 9th, so I can imagine it will be muddy!  You must enjoy them if you have a list of ones to do?

27/12/2012 at 21:14

Shins and ankles were grumbling but I spent the 60 seconds recovery stretching and managed to keep mobile. I was quite happy with the effort / pace although it was rubbish compared to where I used to be. Rep paces were: 6.58 down, 7.16 up, 7.08 down, 7.34 up, 7.01 down.

Centre line? Oh man I'm going to end up face down aren't I?

I'm not sure if Sunderland is on my list but if you guys are going then it would be rude not to! Carrot - get spikes. Essential and make you go faster. Those black and pink ones I got are ace and so comfy.

Carrot - looks like I'm heading for the parkrun in Newcastle on Saturday to meet up with Sarah. Fancy it too?

Barry - the baking phase will pass!
27/12/2012 at 21:16
Spoons - would ankle supports help?
27/12/2012 at 21:18
Carrot- it's just a list from my club of the ones we compete in. I do enjoy them in a strange kind of way but mostly when I'm done! My advice would be give the spikes a test run a few times before the race to get used to them. They can be very hard on your calves.
27/12/2012 at 21:20
Looks like I should've got the black and pink ones!
27/12/2012 at 21:22
Sorry - I can't remember what make they are!

Brol - would you have a bus or something coming up?
27/12/2012 at 21:27

Minni any other Saturday and I would but it's early kick off at the SoL so we're going to run Durham, shower there, and head over to Sunderland from there.  (Actually, I'm a bit scared that I'd just be another blonde ponytail to chase down in the last 400m)

The spikes do come in a rather fetching range of designs don't they?  Why bother, don't they just end up caked in mud?

Bro - planning a few practice laps of the local park, it's only small but lots of grass and a few hills!

Hope the physio helps Spoons, sounds like a good session with the up then down. 

27/12/2012 at 21:44

Hi All....apologies i just vanished on here and sorry it's been so long, I used to be a regular on here about a year ago and had just finished the North Run in 1hr 38 and was ready to use that as a real springboard towards the 3:30 mara......well to cut a long story short I've had a shockingly bad year personally with numerous family issues and redundancy and simply lost any desire to run...it's now a full year without running and sorry to say even back smoking again which im embarrassed to admit.

i just thought posting this will help drag my sorry self out tomorrow for my first run of the year...it's going to be like starting all over again but i'm determined to get the bug back. anyway hopefully i'll be around for a while as i'm going to turn this ship around , i know its going to be hard but i need to do this for my own sanity...

if you dont mind id like to stick in this thread to keep me motivated ( i need long term goals to keep me going ) although it may be some time before i'm anywhere near the 3:30 mark again.. take care all Glyn

27/12/2012 at 21:51

O4S, great racing and the wins are so frequent it'd be more of a surprise if you didn't bring back some bling. .

Well done to Freemers and Sarah for getting our and racing and Chick, Freemers and Spoons for getting the intervals in at this time of year. Spoons, hope the physio can sort your calves and ankles. You'll get back to where you were fitness wise with a bit of time.

Weeble, hope everything's okay and you've decided not to do Brighton just because of lack of time to build up rather than any new problems?

I usually run quite a bit over Christmas as my parents live near the coast. After my knees have been quite a lot better walking I tried a short run today of just over 2 miles very slowly. I think there's an improvement over before, but by the end my knees were quite sore again . My new year's resolution is to get myself to a physio and get them sorted out. I'd also rather spend some time and get them properly fixed rather than have a quick fix but then keep having problems on and off as I've had for the last 7 years.

27/12/2012 at 21:58
Very cute dog freemers, although I do agree, he is bigger than I imagined. Well done with the interval training aswell, hope you enjoyed that well earned mince pie!

SCB, you have put me to shame...I haven't been to work or managed a run....but I have started reading P&d!

Spoons, hope your shins recover soon.

Fabulous run O4S, sounds like you had a fantastic race in not very ideal weather conditions. I remember going to stonehenge and salisbury earlier this year......found it difficult to walk against the wind, let alone run against it!

Thankyou Barry. Marathon training starts on Monday with long runs later in the week. I decided to have a quiet week this week with Xmas and lots of travelling. Thought it might help refresh my legs before the 16 week marathon training commences.....but I'm already getting itchy feet to do a long run!

Hi carrot...congratulations on signing up for the XC, I was thinking about it but I'm going to be concentrating on the longer runs that weekend now. Which marathon are you doing now, is it London aswell? I lost my trainer on the last XC I did.....mum advised me to tie a shoelace around my shoes next time to help keep them on! I'm worried about being that blonde ponytail now on Saturday...are you sure you can't come for support!

Hi Glyn good luck with your run tomorrow, do let us know how you get on.
27/12/2012 at 21:59
Sorry to hear about your knees Becs, hope the physio is able to fix them for you
27/12/2012 at 22:12

Hi Glyn and welcome back.  As you can see we haven't gone far!  Sorry to hear life has been a bit shit but if you want to get motivated back into running then you've come to the right place.  Stay with us.

27/12/2012 at 22:19

Barry:  just hang in there, domesticity is a passing phase that we all have to go through to reach the other side.. Passing through my domesticity phase was the fastest rep I have ever done - so fast BA reckons he missed it

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.