RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,001 to 25,020 of 37,328 messages
02/01/2013 at 16:36

size matters, we all know that

02/01/2013 at 16:40
Although those with a small thinner one would argue that it's how you use it that matters.

The one I use is short and think and chewed at the end but it still works ok, if you get it in the right position....
02/01/2013 at 16:44

Gazelle - we're staying in a village called Chedworth, which is a bit north of Cirencester.  I'm not sure what my running plans are at the moment - I've sort of promised OH I wouldn't do too much as I think he got a bit fed up when I ran every day on our last holiday, but that was a lot closer to marathon day....I figure it won't do me too much harm if I back off a bit next week. I've signed up for 5 runs a week on Jantastic, but 2 of those could be when I'm back home the following weekend, so really only need to do 3, and I may well just stick with that.  As things stand I'll probably just get them out of the way first thing in the mornings and run round the village for a few miles...but if I change my mind and am up for something more strenuous in the hills I'll let you know

Mr Z - I think the firmer the better, but length is less of an issue (IMHO of course) . Mine is smooth, but I've also used a knobbly one before - can't say it made a difference, but it was only the once

AA - nice 17 miler...and don't fall off the bike

Red - great to see you back in the game. Hopefully a slow build up will do the trick. And don't worry - the fitness and lower HR will come back soon enough - I know this time last year when I was just starting again after an injury layoff I felt completely unfit, but it doesn't last to long

5 miles tempo d&d earlier - meant to be 6 but my hip was playing up a bit so I backed off. Aiming for 6 miles easy pace tomorrow, but will see what it feels like. I'm not really worried about it, as it is something I get from time to time, and generally goes away after a bit so long as I don't overdo it.  As people have said, better to get these niggles out of the way this time of year.

02/01/2013 at 16:46

Ah, double x-post...typical for others to beat me with the inuendos on the foam roller

M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 16:51

yip - exactly the responses i was expecting! haha  *blush*

Dubai Dave    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:06
MrZ: your not alone I don't have a roller either

Gazelle: we're next door at Val d'Isere

Freemers. Can't imagine there is much to do other than run in the Cotswolds in January.

Tonight's speed work 12 x 400@ 3K pace off 1 min recoveries were indeed vomit inducing, almost chucked after the last one they went
84 / 88/ 85/ 83 / 83 / 83/ 80 / 86/ 84 / 83 / 82 / 81 / 83 / 77 which if it isn't the fastest set of 400 I have ever done its very close.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:18

anybody know where to change the number of runs set for Jantastic?

Im feeling brave

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 17:18
Scuba Trooper    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:18

MrZ - I had a softer version but it lost it's shape after a few months I had to replace it with a harder version. More effective but more painful and seems to be lasting longer. Not tried a knobbly one, FRC has one I think. I found a few good YouTube vids to show you how to use it to hit the right spot.

What a posting lol 

Gazelle - what 10km and Halfs have you got planned and what is your A race prior to Abingdon?

M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:20
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

anybody know where to change the number of runs set for Jantastic?

Im feeling brave

found it

M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:28

right, this is what i've gone with ..Foam Roller

seams to fit the right criteria, but as i have purchased this online i will have to wait upon reciept to confrim.. ahem... "hardness"

02/01/2013 at 17:53

Greetings from the Emerald Isle and HNY to one and all

Did the 10k race on New Year's Day in strong cold winds and sunshine.  A bit blowy on the beach sections but overall nice to be running in the dry!  As expected I was slower than last year - I went out to do 8mm and actually surprised myself by doing just under 7.40mm and finishing in 47.35, about one minute slower than last year. Very annoyed to be beaten by 15 seconds by the first FV55 [who I beat last year]. Still better than i had expected and didn't feel under too much strain even up the two big hills [2 lap course].

Home, shower and straight into the car to drive to Holyhead.  Ferry this morning and are now settled in a cottage overlooking a wildfowl and wetland trust site on Strangford lough - this truly is the arse end of nowhere

Will now try and read back................

Simon: Minni has also rivalled me twice, which was brave of her given my friends in low places.  BTW I remember Petula Clark very well, so less of the really old comments please! 

02/01/2013 at 18:01

Zuvai - guess you've bought it already, but was going to recommend you go to a sports direct if you have one near you - you can pick them up there for less than a fiver there right now.  Too late!

DD - nice 400s!

Simon - I cant wait to get on the velodrome again, its a shame my new local one in east London isnt open yet!

Gazelle - I love to race, but I'm being sensible and staying away from them while I get back up to steam.  Only got Northumberland half in March so far planned before VLM.    The real one thats annoying me and I want to smash is to get under 21 for a YKW - hoping more f*rman style training will help get that one!

02/01/2013 at 20:10

Red - Great news.  Enjoy your return to running, nice and easy.

Zuvai - Enjoy the roller.

O4S -  Enjoy the arse end of nowhere. Nice 10K

Minni -  Impressive "easy"pace.

AA - Nice long one.

DD -  Impressive reps, that's a v quick last one.

6 miles slow for me this afternoon.

02/01/2013 at 20:52

Happy New Year everyone!

Glyn, to back up what others have said I get rogue HR readings (sometimes above my max!) if I haven't wet the contacts beforehand or if the strap isn't tight enough. I also used to get dodgy readings with my old HR monitor for the first mile regardless of what I did. However your speed does sound fast and the 171 ave sounds a bit high. I've had a few weeks off with injury although I've done some cycling in the meantime, and I've been doing 11 min miles when coming back. Having said that if you're just doing relatively short runs and 3 times a week you can probably get away with pushing it a bit.

Mr Z my roller is very hard and knobbly and I love it! It's quite short but that just makes it easier to stash away.

Red, that's great news on your knee problems

Simon, aka Garmin guru, how do you put them into gym mode? I've a 4 something model! The running one. (Yes, I'm a bit rubbish with it ).

Freemers and anyone else who exercises at lunchtime, how do you keep the time down to a minimum? E.g. do you take a packed lunch with you and do you wash your hair afterwards? I'd like to do some lunchtime classes to complement my cycling to and from work but it's not going to happen regularly unless I can keep the time down.

02/01/2013 at 21:11
Zuvai - hope its all dreamt of and not a flop when it arrives.

Sorry for the double rivals. I must have got carried away with clicking.
02/01/2013 at 21:18

Nice reps DD. Your training is some going for someone who can't be bothered any more! When is your marathon? Looking forward to seeing how well you do

Enjoy the holiday Freemers, don't forget to update Jantastic while you're away or Minni will hunt you down!

Well done on yesterday's uphill race Minni, shame you didn't get to down your prize.  Just say you thought it was meant to be 8 @ MP today....

You've had a brilliant 2012 Daren, take a bit of time off until the groin settles down - easier said than done - it'll do you good in the long run so to speak.

Enjoy the killer track session Bro, I love the track.

Sounds like you're making a comeback Red, that's great news

How's the PF Simon?

Enjoy the foam roller Zuvai, I have a love/hate relationship with mine. It's blue, thick and 3 foot long. Love it because my legs feel so much better after a session on it.  Hate it because it is uncomfortable at best and chuffing painful at worst!  Don't roll when there's anyone within earshot who is offended by swearing.  There's load of... erm... videos on the internet of how to use them.

Gazelle you really should have taken the 'I wish' bit off your forum name by now.  Hope the club session was fun.

Well done on the 10K race on NYD O4S! I contemplated a parkrun but didn't wake up until 10:15am

Becs I used to run once a week on a lunchtime as we have flexitime at work, so I'd take an hour and a half. The changing rooms and showers were a 5 minute walk away from the office, quick change, run for 40 minutes or so, quick shower, dry shampoo on the hair before tieing back up, walk back to work, usually around 1hr 15 minutes by the time I'd eaten something (I always take my lunch to work with me so it would be ready to be inhaled)  Then I got a different boss so I'm now allowed 30 minutes

Findings from the Rehydration Treatment Experiment
It works!  I tried this three times over the festive period - Friday 21st, Sunday 23rd and Monday 31st, all nights when I'd had enough to normally suffer the next day. While on two of the days I got to have a lie in (or at least my 8 hours sleep), one of them I was up early to go to parkrun.  OK so it was a PW, but it was 2 minutes quicker than the pace I'd planned to run.  Give it a try folks

02/01/2013 at 21:30

Had to stop short my run tonight after 2.5 miles. Shin pain is getting worse. Physio booked for Saturday morning so will rest up until then. I have a horrible feeling Jantastic will be a disaster and my spring marathon will be a DNS.

02/01/2013 at 21:41
Becsj - Re using your 405/410 in the gym, the good news is you can. The bad news is, there isn't a gym mode, you have to buy a separate item called a foot pod. The very bad news is, you'll be lucky to get it for less than ??30, and more likely ??40.
I only get 45mins for lunch so don't normally go for a run. But if I do some overtime on a day off, then I can take as long as I like for lunch, so I've previously done 13m. But that was a bit too much, as felt knackered afterwards. 10m or about 1.5 hrs was ok thou. We've got showers at work, and being a 'baldy', I've no probs with sorting my hair out, and I can eat a sandwich at my desk.

Carot - Will find out how PF is on Friday, with a run, which will show it isn't PF hopefully!

O4S - I thought someone might pickup on the Petula Clark reference, sorry!
Edited: 02/01/2013 at 21:45
02/01/2013 at 22:25

Scuba - thanks for that HADD link its really interesting stuff, might just fit my current position perfectly....lots of easy running seems to make a lot of sense now. In fact I think i have always trained too fast even though the perceived effort was easy. I think i will stick to my 3month of very easy running and build up a good base.Maybe I can get a more suitable base than i have built previously, also helps the motivation knowing that there is an end goal to some of this slow stuff.

Do you train using this method ???

Redwood - Thanks for the update on your HR going above 180 seems we are in similar shape right now !!!

Becs - I think the message is starting to sink in ....i need to slooooowww down and just allow the fitness to grow steadily. i dont think the HR is a dodgy connection although i will try wetting it next time as others have suggested.i may reduce the pace and go for 4 runs per wk, getting some safe miles banked whilst getting back on track. thanks for the message

02/01/2013 at 22:37
Glyn, P&d (which everyone advised me to read on here) explains all about heart rate, stroke volume etc. I've found it a useful and helpful read.

Minni. Tut tut.....that makes me feel better about my slightly fast recovery run today 3 miles at 8:57....felt so slow I was getting bored on the treadmill ( think I know why I'm always running to fast now)

Gazelle I quite the fast short session and I love to race (when I do well) but I also like the LSR when I get to do it out doors and with others, I didn't enjoy them much when I had to do a couple on the treadmill!

Hope the physio is able to work some magic spoons
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.