RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,001 to 25,020 of 36,974 messages
02/01/2013 at 12:26

Spoons - I thought Jantastic starts on 07/01 ?

Scuba Trooper    pirate
02/01/2013 at 12:37

Glyn - this is the link I mentioned. a long read but worthwhile, also the link it mentions which goes into more detail about the biochemistry and physiology stuff.

hadd training

I had another look at my IM training plan and the mid week runs are at zone 2 heart rate but the longer weekend runs (1-3hr) are zone 1-2 depending on how you feel which makes more sense.

Hour in the pool for me this morning, feel hard work so time for a rest day.

Thanks everyone for there good wishes and encouragement, over the last month or so, it has really helped.

02/01/2013 at 12:49

Afternoon all. First run of the year done for me. 17 miles @ 8:47 pace. Felt nice and comfortable. I'm trying to download the 410 data for the garmin...but its not working or just slow.... And I'm impatient

ST - when's your IM?

02/01/2013 at 13:31
carterusm wrote (see)

Spoons - I thought Jantastic starts on 07/01 ?

Yes - you're right. I hadn't really looked....

02/01/2013 at 13:54

Hello everyone & happy NY to you all.

I've been out of range for a couple of weeks in the land where you're heading Freemers, the Cotswolds. Had a fantastic couple of weeks, made all the better for finally being able to get out of the door!

A 2 mile slog on a bog, on top of a hill in a howling gale and the pouring rain has never felt so good! Have managed to follow it up with a few more gentle runs too, peaking in 5M at 8.50 yesterday. Not sure the knee is quite 100%, but as I can run on it without hurting, I'm going to try and slowly build back up.

Glyn - I'm just back from nearly 6 months off and my gentle 2M had my HR up at 180 by the end for 9.30 min miles, so your reading might be accurate. I could run 20 easy 9 min miles at 148 in my VLM training.   

Rather annoyingly as I want to train by HR to keep effort low, my 405CX bit the dust on my third run. It seems to be catching, as everyone's is at it, but alas a soft/hard reset and uploading the new software which allegedly fixed it has had no bearing. Simply conks out the moment I take it off of the charger. Quite annoying, but in the grand scheme of things I'm not too fussed as I'd much rather concentrate on the fact I can get out of the door again (although I should add that I've been up and down about 300 steps today at work, so I might be back to square one by tomorrow morning as they're to be avoided at all costs after runners knee apparently!).

Scuba Trooper    pirate
02/01/2013 at 15:30

AA - Are you realy that much of a technophobe? Are you using garmin training centre or something else? I find the ANT thing can be very slow and it takes a couple of refreshes on the traing centre for the runs to appear.

I'm doing Challange Henely 8th Sep, the same time as your doing the Half. I decided to concentrat soley in that in November as I thought I had or would miss too much training to seriously consider a spring marathon (although at this point that descision doesn't seem as right as id did a month ago).

Redwood - Great to see you back out on the road/bog. Hope the stairs don't set you back.

02/01/2013 at 15:46
Kfc - The Velodrome taster sess is brilliant, I've been a couple of times and loved it.

Minni - You'ved challenged me twice on Jantastic. Typical of you picking on a injured, Oap like myself! Lol
02/01/2013 at 16:00

ST - I think its my laptop. Might try and do it on the kids

Cleats update......THEY ARE ON  Went up and down the lane and didn't fall off. Go me  Clippin in is harder than releasing. Gonna try and venture out on friday or saturday and try not to fall off...

M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 16:15

right, confession time....

i dont own and have never used a foam roller  

could someone point me in the right direction please?

(cue the torrent of some of the most phallic looking items on the web posted )

02/01/2013 at 16:26

Sarah- You seem to be able to complete all your sessions very well, do you prefer short/speedier sessions or endurance runs say anything over 15miles slow? When I do a long run I have to break it down in sections so go faster for the last half or change the pace every 5 miles, if I don't do this I get quite bored 

KFC- I'm sure with all your x training you will be pbing very soon, when and what is your next race?

Freemers- Where about's are you going in the Cotswolds? If your close and you fancy a run up the hills mid week let me know

DD- Where are you going Skiing? Were off to Peisey les-arcs on the 13th. Your speed session sounds fun, not!

Minni- Nice stats for today's run, what will your total mileage be for this week?

ST- I bet you have done more training than some of us on this thread over the last few weeks, hats off to you.

Off to do a speed session with my club tonight, I wonder what I'm letting myself in for...

M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 16:28

aware that im on a dangerous slope here; does thickness / length have any impact? and is there any benefit in a ribbed/ knobbled one?

02/01/2013 at 16:32
Massive impact Z!
02/01/2013 at 16:36

size matters, we all know that

02/01/2013 at 16:40
Although those with a small thinner one would argue that it's how you use it that matters.

The one I use is short and think and chewed at the end but it still works ok, if you get it in the right position....
02/01/2013 at 16:44

Gazelle - we're staying in a village called Chedworth, which is a bit north of Cirencester.  I'm not sure what my running plans are at the moment - I've sort of promised OH I wouldn't do too much as I think he got a bit fed up when I ran every day on our last holiday, but that was a lot closer to marathon day....I figure it won't do me too much harm if I back off a bit next week. I've signed up for 5 runs a week on Jantastic, but 2 of those could be when I'm back home the following weekend, so really only need to do 3, and I may well just stick with that.  As things stand I'll probably just get them out of the way first thing in the mornings and run round the village for a few miles...but if I change my mind and am up for something more strenuous in the hills I'll let you know

Mr Z - I think the firmer the better, but length is less of an issue (IMHO of course) . Mine is smooth, but I've also used a knobbly one before - can't say it made a difference, but it was only the once

AA - nice 17 miler...and don't fall off the bike

Red - great to see you back in the game. Hopefully a slow build up will do the trick. And don't worry - the fitness and lower HR will come back soon enough - I know this time last year when I was just starting again after an injury layoff I felt completely unfit, but it doesn't last to long

5 miles tempo d&d earlier - meant to be 6 but my hip was playing up a bit so I backed off. Aiming for 6 miles easy pace tomorrow, but will see what it feels like. I'm not really worried about it, as it is something I get from time to time, and generally goes away after a bit so long as I don't overdo it.  As people have said, better to get these niggles out of the way this time of year.

02/01/2013 at 16:46

Ah, double x-post...typical for others to beat me with the inuendos on the foam roller

M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 16:51

yip - exactly the responses i was expecting! haha  *blush*

Dubai Dave    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:06
MrZ: your not alone I don't have a roller either

Gazelle: we're next door at Val d'Isere

Freemers. Can't imagine there is much to do other than run in the Cotswolds in January.

Tonight's speed work 12 x 400@ 3K pace off 1 min recoveries were indeed vomit inducing, almost chucked after the last one they went
84 / 88/ 85/ 83 / 83 / 83/ 80 / 86/ 84 / 83 / 82 / 81 / 83 / 77 which if it isn't the fastest set of 400 I have ever done its very close.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:18

anybody know where to change the number of runs set for Jantastic?

Im feeling brave

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 17:18
Scuba Trooper    pirate
02/01/2013 at 17:18

MrZ - I had a softer version but it lost it's shape after a few months I had to replace it with a harder version. More effective but more painful and seems to be lasting longer. Not tried a knobbly one, FRC has one I think. I found a few good YouTube vids to show you how to use it to hit the right spot.

What a posting lol 

Gazelle - what 10km and Halfs have you got planned and what is your A race prior to Abingdon?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.