RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,021 to 25,040 of 37,190 messages
02/01/2013 at 22:58

Simon, thanks for the advice. I just hoped I could use it as a HR monitor while trying a class without it automatically switching off because I wasn't going anywhere out of curiosity.

Carrot, dry shampoo, great suggestion thank you! Hadn't thought of that and we have some in the house.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
02/01/2013 at 23:21

thank you all for the roller advise  

i felt a few grumbles in my hip and knees this evening on my MLR so i decided to keep it down to 8 miles. im only in my 3rd week but im going to treat this as a bit of a recovery week to make sure im all fresh and fit for the start of jantastic 

02/01/2013 at 23:38

Evenin' All,

Canada report does not make great reading with regard to Jantastic i'm afraid...

Only managed two runs, 5 & 7.5 in the first week as there was too much snow (and too many A & W burgers, washed down with pints of Creemores) after this - only had light trail shoes packed. On the bright side, i think the skiing was a good workout although "ze knees" are still a little sore despite wearing supports.

Anyhoo... first jet-lagged 4 of the new year logged this evening @ 8.44 (recovery according to P & D). 

A question for all you P & D veterans. Should i take my resting and max hr, so as to ascertain my various levels... Tempo, intervals, slow, easy etc... I've never persisted with any HRM running and have previously just followed the RW schedules, but having (almost) read the AM book, it seems to make sense to see what i actually should be training at, rather than what RW says i should???

Brol - In answer to your question, they're in KMH in Canada, so good luck with the TMs. My gym has Technogym TMs which are in KMH and it's a pain in the arse!

P.S:- They do say "eh" an awful lot as well, and whatever you do, don't try to order w-a-t-e-r anywhere... they only understand "whatr"!

Dubai Dave    pirate
03/01/2013 at 05:21

Morning

Bro: Yes they measure distance on the road in KM's in Canada but in my expereince the treadmills are set in miles. Solve the problem and run on the roads!

Bec: You can use a Garmin indoors as a HRM, go to GPS in the menu then GPS Status, turn enabled to No and it no longer looks for sats.

I run up to 9 miles at lunchtime quite often, but I get a two hour lunch break if I want to take that long.

Carrot: Dubai marathon is 25th January

Oompah: Yep you need to know your rest and max HR's. Personally I don't train by HR it scares the shit out of me!. I prefer the percieved effort method on a scale of 1 - 10. Last night was a 9 - 10! 

Will run 9 miles at lunchtime, didn't cycle this morning as don't want to be tired for the annual DD New Year Soiree tonight on the roof terrace outside my bar (Yes I have my own pub, complete with door sign " The Running Duck" ) Minni are you going to make it?

03/01/2013 at 08:35

One of the gyms I go to has a mix of mph and kph on their TMs. Nightmare if you forget which is which and set the speed in kph but it goes up to mph - I've nearly fallen off the back before!

Becs - I'm lucky as we're not really clocked at lunchtime to I can take my time. I generally am out for 1.5 hours or even a bit more depending on how far I'm running. The gym is right next door to the office which helps, and I do always wash and dry my hair afterwards. But I am very quick doing it - helps when your hair is short!

Carrot - I'll be updating Jantastic when I'm back home as I'll only have my Blackberry with me and it doesn't work on that, or at least it didn't last year. But I can do them all in one go so I won't miss the deadline, I promise

03/01/2013 at 08:49
DD - I'm at the airport!
03/01/2013 at 09:05

Thanks for all of the kind words on the recovery front all. I did my commute run yesterday and today, nice and gentle and no problems (apart from remembering what it feels like to carry a massive bag on your back).

Glyn - I've entered the MK marathon on 6th May and I've told myself that I'm not going to do anything other than easy until the end of Feb in an effort to build my base back up. I doubt if I'll stick to it 100% as it's going to be very difficult, but I'm really going to make an effort to try for as long as possible. And although my monitor is currently broken, I can already feel my HR coming down as this morning's run felt miles easier than yesterday at the same pace.

Freemers - enjoy Chedworth and if you're out for a run, I'd stick to the lanes rather than off-road. I drove through there last week and most of the fields were under water!

Becs - I normally run first thing but when I need to run at lunch, I try to stick to 1hr. I'm lucky in that we're next door to Green Park so throw my kit on, do a 40 min blast, then hope that no-one else is in the shower at work when I get back. Occupational hazard at the moment with it being Jan, but come Feb most people have stopped exercising again so only a few more weeks to put up with it.

03/01/2013 at 09:20

MrZ- I hope you've made the right choice and will enjoy your foam roller. I have a long smooth one but don't use it much.

Gazelle- how was the speed session in the club?  What did you do?

O4S- nice NYD 10k racing.

Becs- I don't exercise at lunch time. I've considered doing a recovery run once or twice but to be honest it's a bit too much hassle- getting out of my office gear and then showering and redoing hair/ makup... I just can't be bothered to do it twice.

Carrot- I am definitely stocking up on the rehydration treatment!

Spoons- ouch, hope the physio can sort you out.

Oompa- thanks for the tips.  I'd better work out both km/h and m/h just in case.  Did you see any bears when you were there by the way? I can't establish for sure if they are hybernating at the moment...I don't train by HR so can't help sorry, for me it's just another thing to obsess about, I'd rather stick with paces.

Well my killer session last night went very much to plan. Did 4x 400m @ 3k pace, 4m @ MP and 4x 200m all out with almost 4m wu and 4m cd. The 4m cd was not pleasant, I was knackered. Very happy to see that I'm managing to hit all the paces.  It feels like I haven't lost much speed after the mara this time round.

03/01/2013 at 09:26
Brolish 4m wu and 4m cd. ? What do wu and cd mean ? Ta
03/01/2013 at 09:27
Ignore me, I'm being a clown
03/01/2013 at 09:31

Carter- warm up and cool down, not being a clown at all.

03/01/2013 at 09:37

I sat there wondering what they were and as soon as I hit the submit button I knew exactly what they meant !! Thanks for replying anyway

Dubai Dave    pirate
03/01/2013 at 10:02

Minni: what time do you land? I will get the Chauffeur to pick you up

03/01/2013 at 10:11
Carter - Don't forget you can always edit any of your posts if you make a Booboo!

Red - I'm the same, only 1 male shower, but if it's occupied I jump in the Ladies one! The laaaaadies don't seem to mind.
03/01/2013 at 10:19

Brol - Carry some bear spray, just in case.

P & D suggest 8m today with 4 at LT!... don't think i'm quite ready for that as i've missed the first two weeks of their programme, so i think a nice steady 8 is in order.

03/01/2013 at 10:21
simon62w wrote (see)
Carter - Don't forget you can always edit any of your posts if you make a Booboo!

Red - I'm the same, only 1 male shower, but if it's occupied I jump in the Ladies one! The laaaaadies don't seem to mind.

Pray tell how do I do this ?

Ha, Ive done it. Cheers Simon !

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 10:21
03/01/2013 at 10:24

Becs - when I've done lunchtime runs I find its easy to fit 4M into an hour with a shower afterwards.  It helps that I'm quick in the shower, don't wash hair for a lunchtime run and I dont wear makeup - more time running less faffing! 

What really helps is to have a bunch of other people at work to run with - when everyone else in the office sees you heading out regularly it becomes normal and not seen as a skive, and you'll get more people following your lead and wanting to try the same.  Its also a great way to have a gossip with people from other departments - I've had some pretty good meetings on a lunchtime run!

Spoons - sounds rubbish, hope the physio has better news.  Dont give up yet, it may not be as bad as you think.

03/01/2013 at 11:39
Carrot/Brol - my club haven't entered a team into the nationals so I won't be running. or . I'll come and watch though!
03/01/2013 at 11:57

Minni- that's a shame. I'm not sure yet I'll be doing it, will have to see closer to the time.

Oompa (Eh) wrote (see)

Brol - Carry some bear spray, just in case.

P & D suggest 8m today with 4 at LT!... don't think i'm quite ready for that as i've missed the first two weeks of their programme, so i think a nice steady 8 is in order.

Oompa- I remember those P&D LT sessions,I found them very hard to start with.

kfc. wrote (see)

Becs - when I've done lunchtime runs I find its easy to fit 4M into an hour with a shower afterwards.  It helps that I'm quick in the shower, don't wash hair for a lunchtime run and I dont wear makeup - more time running less faffing! 

KFC- I look like a rat after most of my runs, especially in the summer.  I can get away with no make up but there is no way I could not wash my hair!

03/01/2013 at 12:17

Welcome back, Oompa. Oh yeah, that dreaded first LT sesh ... do them when you feel ready.

Bro: great session - goes onto my big pile of "workouts I must try sometime"
but without the 4m cooldown. That must have felt like an eternity!

DD: that was quick! I once did one 85 sec 400m rep at the end of a block of 12 and puked afterwards . Not sure how you bang them out THAT quick!

I never wash my hair when I do lunchtime runs . I can squeeze in around 45mins at the most and that doesn't do much harm to my hair ...

Mr. Z. and Minni: Have rivalled you back . I don't quite see the point in this rivalling thing but what the heck... I'm game 

Freemers: that hip pain must be catching . My left hip (the one that was injured last year) started to play up yesterday afternoon. Hope its short-lived for you and me both .

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.