RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,041 to 25,060 of 37,190 messages
03/01/2013 at 14:08

Oh no chick . I hope you hip sorts itself - mine was OK-ish on my run today, just the odd sharp twinge but not constant like yesterday.  I kept the pace down a bit just in case!

I need to do some packing I suppose....which amounts to throwing some walking and running gear in a suitcase so should take about 5 minutes!

03/01/2013 at 14:49

As a Jantastic team virgin, i don't fully understand the "rival" thing?

I've rivalled everyone who has commited to the same amount of runs as me??

03/01/2013 at 15:24
Oompa - Don't worry, I did it last year, and still don't know what the rival bit is about. The other puzzle, is trying to work out what peoples real names are that weren't on last year, like yourself, but all good fun.
03/01/2013 at 15:31

ST- All my races are"A" races I have a 10k in Feb, May and July and 1/2mar in April and June, I've never ran so many races in 6 months. I may even try and get a park run in on the 12th January, Just working on getting a pass to go and do it.

04S- Great racing.

Spoons- Good luck with the Physio on Saturday. Have you suffered with shin pain before?

Oompa- Good job Jantastic starts on the 7th, hopefully all of us wont miss any sessions.

Does a 10minute jog on the spot count as a 1mile run for Jantastic? Hubby was not happy when I told him I had to go out for 6 runs whilst on Holiday, I can see me having to set the alarm at stupid o'clock in the morning 

Brolish- Well done on your speed session, I guess it hurt at the time but as soon as the session finished it was worthwhile. Last Night I did 6x600m@5k, 200mjog, 200m@5k then 90's rest and repeated 6 times  I wasn't sure what my 5k pace was so just ran as fast as i could and stayed/tried to stay with 4 others. It's so much easier to do speed sessions with others it makes you run faster! I wouldn't of ran that fast on my own I would of kept to the correct pace.

I hope everyone with sore hips get better soon.

03/01/2013 at 16:07

we need a list with people's forum names vs. real names  I think there were 4 or 5 on Jantastic that I couldn't place on here. Guess Oompa is one of them

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 16:08
03/01/2013 at 16:24
Gazelle I wish... wrote (see)

Last Night I did 6x600m@5k, 200mjog, 200m@5k then 90's rest and repeated 6 times 

You did 36 600m reps at 5k pace and 6 200m reps too! Wow, that is a tough session!

Freemers, Chick - hope the hips are nothing serious and Spoons, hope the shin gets sorted too.

I haven't signed up to Jantastic this year as not really sure what's going to happen with this injury etc and don't want to put any pressure on myself to run more than I should. Feeling like I'm getting over the latest bit of the lurgy today and groin not so bad but think I might still give it a couple of days of complete rest before running again as I'm fed up of starting up again and then having another setback and want to get fully well/be able to run without any pain first.

03/01/2013 at 16:32

Gazelle- well done on the MONSTER session!

My Yaktrax got delivered.  It looks like something out of Fifty Shades of Grey....

03/01/2013 at 16:35

3.5k swim for me done today.  Excited about tomorrows run - I'll be doing 4x800m - the first of 2 sessions recommended in f*rman to ease non speedworkers (yep, thats me) into doing it. 

03/01/2013 at 16:40
chickadeee wrote (see)

we need a list with people's forum names vs. real names  I think there were 4 or 5 on Jantastic that I couldn't place on here. Guess Oompa is one of them

There's only one name I don't recognise - BK but I'm wondering if that's ST?  If not one can assume its a saboteur from the sub 3:15 thread....

M.r Zuvai    pirate
03/01/2013 at 17:07

yikes! just looked back at last years training log.... 

seriously low in milage - proof on one hand that cycling can be brilliant at providing an endurance base and a flashing warning light on the other hand that i need to be carefull as im already running more miles than my peak last year. Im going to have to be carefull to aviod injury

03/01/2013 at 17:18

Hmmm... name & shame policy??? I'm staying tight-lipped!

03/01/2013 at 17:34

Fun time today!  Decided to run [with BA] from the 'arse end of nowhere' to the 'nether regions of somewhere else' - or my Mum's care home to put it another way.  There is a 7 mile off-road tarmac cycle path from near wgere we are staying to wi thin a mile of her, so a double seemed like a good plan.  How wrong can you be??

Weather good when we started, but started to drizzle after a couple of miles.  Rain got steadily heavier and we didn't have waterproof jackets.  Normally wouldn't matter, but by the time we reached the home we were like drowned rats and dripping everywhere.  We have probably destroyed the upholstery on two perfectly good chairs and left a large puddle on the carpet.

Next stop was to be the big Titanic Exhibition down at the dock where she was built.  Sadly as we made our way there on foot the heavens opened again and we were by now so wet and uncomfortable that the idea of two hours in the place and a journey home were not attractive.  BA point blankd refused to run the 7 miles back so we ended up on a bus doing an extraordinary route from point A to point B via all other points on the alphabet.

Now getting ready to go out with a group of school friends, which is almost certainly going to end badly.

I'm another one who doesn't understand this rival business, its all I can do to get my targets and runs entered on Jantastic.

Spoons: be sensible and it might settle down quickly, fingers crossed

03/01/2013 at 17:42

Brol -  Very impressive session, have you got any shorter races planned?

Gazelle -  Good speedy stuff from you, agree it's easy to run quicker with others as long as you don't get carried away for the first few and then struggle.

Take it easy those with with niggles.

I can work out most of our Jantastic Team apart from 4 ish.  6 miles for me this afternoon including 4  steady, a bit quick as average at 7:07.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 17:43
03/01/2013 at 18:32
kfc. wrote (see)

Dont give up yet, it may not be as bad as you think.

Too late - *tucks into beer and peanuts*

03/01/2013 at 19:32

evening all...back from another 4 mile stroll and yes i tried to drop the pace

avg 9:20per mile, i know it should be slower but i'm working on it !! ...my HR was still high but averaged out at 162 ( 172 last time )  but the good news is that it took about 3minutes to drop below 100 after i had finished so the recovery is improving( took 8 minutes last time ) so that is heading in the right direction at least !!

any thoughts on whether to go for the garmin 610 or 910 ??? Dubai Dave seems to like the 910

03/01/2013 at 21:12

Good speed sessions Gazelle & Bro....Its made my legs twitch (recovery day today but fancy doing a speed session now)!

Oompa ...I was wondering the same as I was rivelled by Minni so rivelled her back but im clueless to what it means....I could have signed up to anything

Freemers & Chick hope your hips recover soon.

O4S hope you have a good one tonight and it stays dry

03/01/2013 at 21:13

Well done surviving the killer session Bro, am I right in thinking it ended up being around 15 miles with warm up, cool down, reps and recoveries?  Moz sure is a hard taskmaster...

Sorry to hear the shins at still giving you bother Spoons

Hope the run is pain free tomorrow Simon.

Taper time soon then DD I'm another one who prefers to be blissfully unaware of my HR.  It's all about that scale of 1-10.

Yeah Minni still come and watch / laugh if you're free that day!  At least I won't have to worry about any thread competitiveness if you and Bro can't make it....

Gazelle that sounds like a monster speed session, so you did six sets of 600m, one 200m, repeated six times, ie 36 x 600m?

Chick - hope the hip is just a niggle that'll be gone in a day or two.  Parsnip is on the list for Jantastic, second from the bottom.

Nice swimming kfc! I used to swim loads, did the swimathon a couple of times.  3.2K used to be my weekend 'long swim', 3.5K is some going!  Enjoy the 800m reps.

Hope you enjoy tonight O4S after what sounds like an epic day.  Has it actually stopped raining for you yet?

Nice steady miles Barry! My steady miles tonight were somewhat slower but spot on for the pace I was aiming for. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
03/01/2013 at 21:47

Spoons - Hope you shins are ok.

Glyn - I am heart rate training but not as per Hadd, most of my runs/bike will be 30-40bpm below max and long runs a bit lower. I'm following a Fink 30week program that starts proper at the beginning on Feb. I did do a few months of Hadd over the summer but mixed in a few tempo runs and gym sessions as well. Then did late summer and autumn on Furman Half Marathon program before my stroke set me back a couple of months.

Minni - BK isn't me, sorry I'm not joining the Jantastic fun.

Gazelle - that's a big line up of races, I want to find a feb 10km locally but not much around.

03/01/2013 at 23:03

Spoons, hope the physio can sort you out.

Freemers and Chick, fingers crossed the hips are just niggling and it'll turn out to be nothing more than that.

Glyn, while it's not easy pace HR yet I'd be happy with 162 when coming back from a break. It'll improve quickly.

Carrot, the 1-10 scale doesn't work for me as I always get paranoid I'm not working hard enough.

Thanks for all the lunchtime running and also the Garmin advice. It's interesting to see everyone's tactics. I managed my first ever spin class this lunchtime inspired by all your tips and Kiwi's reports of her classes. That and this evening's yoga class were a bit of a shock to the system following quite a lazy period between Christmas and the New Year. I think I'm going to feel it tomorrow. I'm enjoying trying something new though and I plan to keep mixing things up even after my knee is better as my first 7 years of running I was doing a lot of cross-training and was injury free for that whole time.

04/01/2013 at 00:07
Glyn - I don't know if it makes any difference, but best price for 610 is 199 squid, and 910 is 279 squid on interweb.

O4S - I'm surprised at you, I would of thought you would of been prepared for every eventuality, with all your experience. After all, 'fail to prepare, prepare to fail'. Get BA to carry everything next time!
Edited: 04/01/2013 at 00:08
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.