RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,061 to 25,080 of 37,591 messages
04/01/2013 at 00:37

Great sessions by Brol, (4m wm AND 4m cd?), and Gazelle - sure those club sessions will help

DD getting even faster... awesome session. Do you really have a pub? Couldnt tell if joking. You will fly at the marathon. Got a target yet?

Freemers & Chic, with you on the sore hips. Did some deadlifts yesterday and really stiff at first till some more stretches.

RE: Heart rate, there is TE/ heart rate perceived effort on latest Garmins 610/910. Had this on my Suunto awhile back and good way to gauge effort, each workout gets value of 1-5 from minor to max & suggests what next session should be. Glynn, you can get the 405cx for £125 so less than half the price of 910.

Thanks Sarah, Marathon monday went fine, just time on feet for ultra after the 10k, kept HR below 150-145, soaked through by 2 laps of 4, so had to change and had a waterproof unlike O4S (shocking!), legs tired at 17-18 miles but finished comfortably sub 4 (3:50). Only problem, ravenous since then. Didn't really go mad over Xmas so allowing myself some treats.

Oh, and I do NOT have a knobbly foam roller . hockey ball for glutes good though.

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 00:40
04/01/2013 at 01:36

Ribble 10k race report.
Minni opposite of what you thought - I was not awesome, struggled big time, and at my absolute limits. Hard to take in at the time too.

Aim was sub 40 which thought was doable & heard this was fast but found out later a "few" hills. Pal from Penny Lane club came too, try pacing each other. Arrived an hr early but only 12 toilets & no urinals for 1000+ men? Almost didn't have time for a warm up. Cold, wet, rain coming down in a drizzle and a strong wind across us, tough conditions. Managed to find my pal near the start line but no tactics agreed.

Other 10ks or league races I've got to steady pace early on (for 10k sub 4min km - 3:55-57 for safety) but 2 ups in km 1-2 was impossible here. First split 4:07 so already off pace, needed to go faster? With pal, we ran together for next km or so, next marker came up another 13 seconds off. Mentally thought I'd blown it already.. 20 seconds off so soon? Only thing I could do was try make up time, push harder, left pal about 3km. More hills and splits came up - even more time lost. Frustration set in - by 7km, only one km under 4 mins and already 30-35 seconds off target even when I'd pushed so hard, nearly 5k pace. I'd given up on sub 40, feeling down, maybe sluggish with Xmas, expected to blow up and friend appear on my shoulder. Hung in there somehow.

Around 7km started getting some incline back, found some energy maybe off the few downs, really upped pace. 10-15 seconds pulled back, low 40 min time possible? 8k Another shallow but long hill but carried on same pace even though it was hurting, feeling sick. 9km marker doing manual lap, glanced at time, 36m 15-20s? Very slim chance with 1km to go, but needed to give everything. Down a hill some extra speed, then with a 400 metre to go sign visible another sneaky incline. Agony. Sprint!

Through line, Stopped watch, 39:57. Couldn't believe it. Last km found was close to mile PB pace and beyond painful - nearly puked on the line. Felt I'd had an awful race, course and conditions wore you down, so testing - but end result great finish to the year to get last of my long term targets 5k to marathon way ahead of schedule. This was the hardest of them by a mile though... a learning experience.

Split    Time    Dist    Elev+    Elev-    Avg Pace

1    04:07    0.62    62    46    06:36

2    04:13    0.62    59    7    06:49

3    04:04    0.63    39    36    06:27

4    04:08    0.63    49    26    06:35

5    03:49    0.61    16    52    06:15

6    04:09    0.64    33    43    06:29

7    04:05    0.62    49    23    06:36

8    03:52    0.63    0    62    06:07

9    03:44    0.59    30    46    06:20

10    03:47    0.65    62    69    05:51

Summary    39:57    6.24    400    410    06:23

04/01/2013 at 09:20

Morning everyone

O4S- lol, nice running against the elements yesterday. Hope you enjoyed your night out.

Barry B wrote (see)

Brol -  Very impressive session, have you got any shorter races planned?

Barry- thanks! I'm doing Watford Half on 3rd Feb (racing it but not going for a pb, it's way too hilly), 10k on 3rd March in Regents Park and Reading Half on 17th March. What about you?

Carrot wrote (see)

Well done surviving the killer session Bro, am I right in thinking it ended up being around 15 miles with warm up, cool down, reps and recoveries?  Moz sure is a hard taskmaster...

Carrot- ekhem... well I can't exactly blame Moz for this one. I was supposed to do more like 3m wu, 2m cd. The track however is bang on half way between work and home so it just makes sense to jog there, do the session and jog home. It added up to 14.5.

Becks- hope the DOMS are not too bad today.

6m easy done this morning, Surrey Champs tomorrow. I think it's going to be messy...

04/01/2013 at 09:46

9 miles with strides done and dusted and off for a sports massage now. 

04/01/2013 at 09:47

PS -  I'm loving running just now.

04/01/2013 at 09:54

Minni-

04/01/2013 at 09:57
M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/01/2013 at 10:12

Happy Friday everyone!!  - here's a friday gift for you;

http://i.imgur.com/iWHK2.gif

great report and fantastic running FRC!

Stonking session Brol - good luck at the XC!!

Hope everyone's niggles are calming down as we head into the serious part of training (Jantastic) 

my new trainers arrived today - perfect for a little boost in motivation!

04/01/2013 at 10:15
Is that the roller? It's massive!
04/01/2013 at 10:18

MrZ- can't see the gift!

I have a new love in my life- they're called mizuno enigmas. I've been running in nikes for the last two years and they've been fine but I have a bit of a bunion on my right foot and it's been a permanent blister site all this time.  I've tried bunion cushions and all sorts but nothing seemed to help so just made peace with it. I've now been running in mizunos for a couple of weeks and - MIRACLE- no blisters!!! My foot is almost beginning to look human again.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/01/2013 at 10:25

ah - rubbish you cant see it   , no it's not a roller!

it's just a gif of a very fat cat jumping into a small box then somehow folding in on itself so that it ends the right way up!

04/01/2013 at 11:07
Looks fine to me. Very cute gif Mr z

Stanley has been getting up to similar tricks, in cupboards. Also snarfing the food our other two usually leave and then still acting hungry.. We are having to hide bowls now. Think it's coming out of RSPCA, getting food whilst can.

Brol, how many pairs of trainers do you get through a year? A pair must last about 2-3 months on your mileage.
04/01/2013 at 11:09

Morning all - yet another rest day for me today. I seem to eat more the less I run.

Cheers, Fat Bloke

04/01/2013 at 11:09

Can you use a cat as a foam roller?

04/01/2013 at 11:13

FRC- well... not really.  I've been alternating between two pairs of nikes for the last two years. I know they say you should change them every 500m but they look perfectly fine to me so I feel guilty about throwing them away.

04/01/2013 at 11:16

Ooops I think you know what I meant ref my speed session 600m@5k, 200mjog, 200m@5k then 90's rest and repeated 6 times, I wouldn't of made 36x 600m!!!!

Barry- Yes, its easy to go with the flow and my legs can feel the session today. I will control myself next time.

M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

yikes! just looked back at last years training log.... 

seriously low in milage - proof on one hand that cycling can be brilliant at providing an endurance base and a flashing warning light on the other hand that i need to be carefull as im already running more miles than my peak last year. Im going to have to be carefull to aviod injury

Zuvai- How many miles have you done this week? What make and model are your new trainers?

Glyn- Great news that you are starting to enjoy running slower, it seems wrong at first but you will go into your speed and tempo runs fresh as a daisy

FRC- Great race report, what a great end to your 2012 season. 3:50 for a marathon the next day wow.

Minni- When is your next race? What races are you doing pre VLM?

Brolish- I'm glad your new trainers are great, any reason you went for the ones you did?
3 mile recovery run yesterday and tonight I will be doing an easy 6mile run.

04/01/2013 at 11:31

Gazelle- I liked the look of mizunos and wanted to try neutral shoes.  I was told in the past that I overpronate only slightly so should be ok in neutrals.  Had someone look at me running again in sweatshop and it's what they advised. I know they always say that you should stick with what works but I've never really had any issues with any of the shoes I've worn and it looks like there was room for improvement!

Interesting how you say that you prefer to do intervals with other people.  I'm completely the opposite. I'm much better off doing them on my own and making sure that I'm running at the correct pace. Maybe part of the reason is that there aren't many runners at a similar level to me at my club so when I ran with them I always ended up going off to fast and getting frustrated.

04/01/2013 at 11:36

Mornin' All,

8 miles last night were as painful as expected. First 4 were a bit too quick (av. 7.44) as i got carried away trying to do the 3 mile loop that we run so that i could catch the others for the final 2 loops. The first 3 miles at LT were okay'ish at 7.09 but then the wheels fell off and i used the last mile as cd. However, this is the first time in nearly 6 months that i have managed to run on successive days so... Onwards & upwards!

Took solice in a bit of retail therapy on t'internet... 1 x Saucony Guide 5's, 1 x Saucony LED jacket, 1 x Asics DS Racer's, shed load of k-tape and a new training diary later... felt much better!

X-training tonight. 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/01/2013 at 11:48
Gazelle I wish... wrote (see)

M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

yikes! just looked back at last years training log.... 

seriously low in milage - proof on one hand that cycling can be brilliant at providing an endurance base and a flashing warning light on the other hand that i need to be carefull as im already running more miles than my peak last year. Im going to have to be carefull to aviod injury

Zuvai- How many miles have you done this week? What make and model are your new trainers?

much less the week - wanted to avoid getting tired so early in the campaign, so a smidge under 20 miles so far and will finish the week on about 40 which is 20% than last week but the right deicision im sure

new trainers are Saucony Powergrid Hurricane 14s  - i tend to cycle between them and acsics GT's. Unlike Bro i dont tend to throw them away so ihave an ever growing cupboard of used trainers - im sure they will be usefull one day!!

04/01/2013 at 11:49

Brolish- There's about 4 other runners in my club who have 10k times the same as me and we are all aiming to improve at the next 10k race in late February. I know what you mean about running at the correct pace, I wouldn't of ran as quickly as I did on Wednesday if I was on my own I would of kept to the said pace, that's why when I was training under Shaggy and Moraghan  I stopped going to my club. I have DOMS in my legs today! so in hindsight it may of been better for me to have slowed down, oh well I hope that I have learnt a lesson

Oompa- Well done on your run. Retail therapy sounds good, did you buy them at a discount price? If so which site? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.