RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,081 to 25,100 of 36,146 messages
04/01/2013 at 10:15
Is that the roller? It's massive!
04/01/2013 at 10:18

MrZ- can't see the gift!

I have a new love in my life- they're called mizuno enigmas. I've been running in nikes for the last two years and they've been fine but I have a bit of a bunion on my right foot and it's been a permanent blister site all this time.  I've tried bunion cushions and all sorts but nothing seemed to help so just made peace with it. I've now been running in mizunos for a couple of weeks and - MIRACLE- no blisters!!! My foot is almost beginning to look human again.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/01/2013 at 10:25

ah - rubbish you cant see it   , no it's not a roller!

it's just a gif of a very fat cat jumping into a small box then somehow folding in on itself so that it ends the right way up!

04/01/2013 at 11:07
Looks fine to me. Very cute gif Mr z

Stanley has been getting up to similar tricks, in cupboards. Also snarfing the food our other two usually leave and then still acting hungry.. We are having to hide bowls now. Think it's coming out of RSPCA, getting food whilst can.

Brol, how many pairs of trainers do you get through a year? A pair must last about 2-3 months on your mileage.
04/01/2013 at 11:09

Morning all - yet another rest day for me today. I seem to eat more the less I run.

Cheers, Fat Bloke

04/01/2013 at 11:09

Can you use a cat as a foam roller?

04/01/2013 at 11:13

FRC- well... not really.  I've been alternating between two pairs of nikes for the last two years. I know they say you should change them every 500m but they look perfectly fine to me so I feel guilty about throwing them away.

04/01/2013 at 11:16

Ooops I think you know what I meant ref my speed session 600m@5k, 200mjog, 200m@5k then 90's rest and repeated 6 times, I wouldn't of made 36x 600m!!!!

Barry- Yes, its easy to go with the flow and my legs can feel the session today. I will control myself next time.

M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

yikes! just looked back at last years training log.... 

seriously low in milage - proof on one hand that cycling can be brilliant at providing an endurance base and a flashing warning light on the other hand that i need to be carefull as im already running more miles than my peak last year. Im going to have to be carefull to aviod injury

Zuvai- How many miles have you done this week? What make and model are your new trainers?

Glyn- Great news that you are starting to enjoy running slower, it seems wrong at first but you will go into your speed and tempo runs fresh as a daisy

FRC- Great race report, what a great end to your 2012 season. 3:50 for a marathon the next day wow.

Minni- When is your next race? What races are you doing pre VLM?

Brolish- I'm glad your new trainers are great, any reason you went for the ones you did?
3 mile recovery run yesterday and tonight I will be doing an easy 6mile run.

04/01/2013 at 11:31

Gazelle- I liked the look of mizunos and wanted to try neutral shoes.  I was told in the past that I overpronate only slightly so should be ok in neutrals.  Had someone look at me running again in sweatshop and it's what they advised. I know they always say that you should stick with what works but I've never really had any issues with any of the shoes I've worn and it looks like there was room for improvement!

Interesting how you say that you prefer to do intervals with other people.  I'm completely the opposite. I'm much better off doing them on my own and making sure that I'm running at the correct pace. Maybe part of the reason is that there aren't many runners at a similar level to me at my club so when I ran with them I always ended up going off to fast and getting frustrated.

04/01/2013 at 11:36

Mornin' All,

8 miles last night were as painful as expected. First 4 were a bit too quick (av. 7.44) as i got carried away trying to do the 3 mile loop that we run so that i could catch the others for the final 2 loops. The first 3 miles at LT were okay'ish at 7.09 but then the wheels fell off and i used the last mile as cd. However, this is the first time in nearly 6 months that i have managed to run on successive days so... Onwards & upwards!

Took solice in a bit of retail therapy on t'internet... 1 x Saucony Guide 5's, 1 x Saucony LED jacket, 1 x Asics DS Racer's, shed load of k-tape and a new training diary later... felt much better!

X-training tonight. 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/01/2013 at 11:48
Gazelle I wish... wrote (see)

M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

yikes! just looked back at last years training log.... 

seriously low in milage - proof on one hand that cycling can be brilliant at providing an endurance base and a flashing warning light on the other hand that i need to be carefull as im already running more miles than my peak last year. Im going to have to be carefull to aviod injury

Zuvai- How many miles have you done this week? What make and model are your new trainers?

much less the week - wanted to avoid getting tired so early in the campaign, so a smidge under 20 miles so far and will finish the week on about 40 which is 20% than last week but the right deicision im sure

new trainers are Saucony Powergrid Hurricane 14s  - i tend to cycle between them and acsics GT's. Unlike Bro i dont tend to throw them away so ihave an ever growing cupboard of used trainers - im sure they will be usefull one day!!

04/01/2013 at 11:49

Brolish- There's about 4 other runners in my club who have 10k times the same as me and we are all aiming to improve at the next 10k race in late February. I know what you mean about running at the correct pace, I wouldn't of ran as quickly as I did on Wednesday if I was on my own I would of kept to the said pace, that's why when I was training under Shaggy and Moraghan  I stopped going to my club. I have DOMS in my legs today! so in hindsight it may of been better for me to have slowed down, oh well I hope that I have learnt a lesson

Oompa- Well done on your run. Retail therapy sounds good, did you buy them at a discount price? If so which site? 

04/01/2013 at 11:59

Morning gang

DD - nice to be tapering.

Freemers and Chick - how are the hips now?

FRC - great race report!

O4S - hope the rains stops and you had a great night out.

Barry - good steady miles from you.

Brol and Gazelle - great speed sessions from both of you.  Good luck for the Surrey champs tomorrow Brol. I have a friend running the Essex champs tomorrow - she recced the course last week and not only is it mega hilly it is also mega muddy, part of the fun!

Spoons - hope your shin problems settle soon.  Don't be disheartened with all your resting - you are doing the right thing. Resting now may be unbearable when your training programme tells you the miles you should be doing but it will be worth it in the long run. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - I wish I had rested properly post VLM, which I didn't and 7 months later am still not back into it, so rest properly now and hopefully it will all come right.

BecsA - good to see another spin enthusiast on board, I'm currently spinning twice a week and it is keeping me sane while I slowly build back up some running miles. As you say it is nice to have the variety and I will keep at it once I get back into running.

Oompa - I am liking the sounds of your retail therapy and nothing like some shiny new kit to get you excited about getting out there

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 12:01
04/01/2013 at 12:17

Gazelle - Jacket & DS Racers are from www.sportsshoes.com and the Guide's and other "bits" from www.startfitness.co.uk. Good deals on all but as always, there was only a few left in my size (midget).

Mr Z - Know exactly what you mean re old shoes... I have every Brooks Adrenaline since version 8 in my shoe cupboard... One for gardening, one for dog walking, one for going into the loft, one for eating strawberries etc...

04/01/2013 at 12:19

... On the cat as a foam roller issue, i will let you know how good they are, because if i catch next doors moggy crapping on my drive again, it's toast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04/01/2013 at 12:59
Lol Oompa!

Z - I can only see a box - where's the pussy?

Gazelle - 3 HM between now and VLM, one of which will be run at MP. First one is in a couple of weeks.

Good session with the physio. No problems apart from that little bit of scar tissue raising its ugly head on my calf. Nothing the foam roller won't sort out.

Looks like I'm parkrunning again tomorrow since Master Minni and Miss Minni's boyfriend have decided they want to go.
04/01/2013 at 13:04

How are the shins today, Spoons?

FRC: great race report. I think I've said it before: hats off to you for perseverance. It got you a sub 40

Mr. Z: hilarious! I wonder if it got stuck in there ...

Nothing beats a spot of retail therapy for more running gear. My new pair of Saucony Kinvaras arrived yesterday . The old ones are a little flat right now (which may have caused the hip to play up). I can still feel the pain, although it's fine while I run. It only hurts when I've been sitting at my desk for a while. More stretching and rollering this weekend. Hopefully it'll be gone by next week. How's yours, Freemers?

Gazelle I wish... wrote (see)

Ooops I think you know what I meant ref my speed session 600m@5k, 200mjog, 200m@5k then 90's rest and repeated 6 times, I wouldn't of made 36x 600m!!!!

I kind of wondered for a moment if you really did 36 reps ... 

Brolish wrote (see)

Interesting how you say that you prefer to do intervals with other people.  I'm completely the opposite. I'm much better off doing them on my own and making sure that I'm running at the correct pace. Maybe part of the reason is that there aren't many runners at a similar level to me at my club so when I ran with them I always ended up going off to fast and getting frustrated.

Nobody would do intervals with me coz I usually end up swearing and shouting like a demented parrot

Becs: Hope you enjoyed the spinning. It's the only thing why I may reconsider joining a gym ...  

Minni: +1 --  I'm really loving my running at the moment, even the wind doesn't bother me too much. Have never felt so good at the start of marathon campaign before. Touch wood ...

04/01/2013 at 14:18

First speed session done!  4x800 in 3.24; 3.18; 3.12; 3.09.  400m walk/jog recovery. 15min wu and cd.

Not superfast, but as I'm not used to doing this I decided to start steady to try and get a hang of the pacing.  The first one felt hard so I was surpised to go faster in the second, and after that had the confidence to go a bit harder.  F*rman reckon I should do them all at 3.09 based on my 5k pb, but I'm glad I didnt try to do this - would have been a very demoralising session.  One to aim for once I'm more used to doing this kind of session.

Carrot - I used to swim a lot too - but 15+ years ago!  Means I can up the distance quite quickly, but I'm also always depressed at being so much slower than my teenage self...  Working towards making my standard swim 4k, but not quite able to hold form for that long at the moment.

04/01/2013 at 14:29
Minni wrote (see)
Lol Oompa!

Z - I can only see a box - where's the pussy?

Gazelle - 3 HM between now and VLM, one of which will be run at MP. First one is in a couple of weeks.

Good session with the physio. No problems apart from that little bit of scar tissue raising its ugly head on my calf. Nothing the foam roller won't sort out.

Looks like I'm parkrunning again tomorrow since Master Minni and Miss Minni's boyfriend have decided they want to go.

Minni - "I can only see a box - where's the pussy?... Mustn't say anything... Mustn't say anything... Mustn't say anything...

04/01/2013 at 14:42
Minni wrote (see)

Minni- are they going to run?  Nothing like a bit of healthy competition... Are you racing your next HM or doing it @ MP?

KFC- well done on the intervals.  It's much better to be slightly conservative to start with than overcook it and get discouraged.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.