RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,081 to 25,100 of 37,088 messages
04/01/2013 at 11:59

Morning gang

DD - nice to be tapering.

Freemers and Chick - how are the hips now?

FRC - great race report!

O4S - hope the rains stops and you had a great night out.

Barry - good steady miles from you.

Brol and Gazelle - great speed sessions from both of you.  Good luck for the Surrey champs tomorrow Brol. I have a friend running the Essex champs tomorrow - she recced the course last week and not only is it mega hilly it is also mega muddy, part of the fun!

Spoons - hope your shin problems settle soon.  Don't be disheartened with all your resting - you are doing the right thing. Resting now may be unbearable when your training programme tells you the miles you should be doing but it will be worth it in the long run. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - I wish I had rested properly post VLM, which I didn't and 7 months later am still not back into it, so rest properly now and hopefully it will all come right.

BecsA - good to see another spin enthusiast on board, I'm currently spinning twice a week and it is keeping me sane while I slowly build back up some running miles. As you say it is nice to have the variety and I will keep at it once I get back into running.

Oompa - I am liking the sounds of your retail therapy and nothing like some shiny new kit to get you excited about getting out there

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 12:01
04/01/2013 at 12:17

Gazelle - Jacket & DS Racers are from www.sportsshoes.com and the Guide's and other "bits" from www.startfitness.co.uk. Good deals on all but as always, there was only a few left in my size (midget).

Mr Z - Know exactly what you mean re old shoes... I have every Brooks Adrenaline since version 8 in my shoe cupboard... One for gardening, one for dog walking, one for going into the loft, one for eating strawberries etc...

04/01/2013 at 12:19

... On the cat as a foam roller issue, i will let you know how good they are, because if i catch next doors moggy crapping on my drive again, it's toast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

04/01/2013 at 12:59
Lol Oompa!

Z - I can only see a box - where's the pussy?

Gazelle - 3 HM between now and VLM, one of which will be run at MP. First one is in a couple of weeks.

Good session with the physio. No problems apart from that little bit of scar tissue raising its ugly head on my calf. Nothing the foam roller won't sort out.

Looks like I'm parkrunning again tomorrow since Master Minni and Miss Minni's boyfriend have decided they want to go.
04/01/2013 at 13:04

How are the shins today, Spoons?

FRC: great race report. I think I've said it before: hats off to you for perseverance. It got you a sub 40

Mr. Z: hilarious! I wonder if it got stuck in there ...

Nothing beats a spot of retail therapy for more running gear. My new pair of Saucony Kinvaras arrived yesterday . The old ones are a little flat right now (which may have caused the hip to play up). I can still feel the pain, although it's fine while I run. It only hurts when I've been sitting at my desk for a while. More stretching and rollering this weekend. Hopefully it'll be gone by next week. How's yours, Freemers?

Gazelle I wish... wrote (see)

Ooops I think you know what I meant ref my speed session 600m@5k, 200mjog, 200m@5k then 90's rest and repeated 6 times, I wouldn't of made 36x 600m!!!!

I kind of wondered for a moment if you really did 36 reps ... 

Brolish wrote (see)

Interesting how you say that you prefer to do intervals with other people.  I'm completely the opposite. I'm much better off doing them on my own and making sure that I'm running at the correct pace. Maybe part of the reason is that there aren't many runners at a similar level to me at my club so when I ran with them I always ended up going off to fast and getting frustrated.

Nobody would do intervals with me coz I usually end up swearing and shouting like a demented parrot

Becs: Hope you enjoyed the spinning. It's the only thing why I may reconsider joining a gym ...  

Minni: +1 --  I'm really loving my running at the moment, even the wind doesn't bother me too much. Have never felt so good at the start of marathon campaign before. Touch wood ...

04/01/2013 at 14:18

First speed session done!  4x800 in 3.24; 3.18; 3.12; 3.09.  400m walk/jog recovery. 15min wu and cd.

Not superfast, but as I'm not used to doing this I decided to start steady to try and get a hang of the pacing.  The first one felt hard so I was surpised to go faster in the second, and after that had the confidence to go a bit harder.  F*rman reckon I should do them all at 3.09 based on my 5k pb, but I'm glad I didnt try to do this - would have been a very demoralising session.  One to aim for once I'm more used to doing this kind of session.

Carrot - I used to swim a lot too - but 15+ years ago!  Means I can up the distance quite quickly, but I'm also always depressed at being so much slower than my teenage self...  Working towards making my standard swim 4k, but not quite able to hold form for that long at the moment.

04/01/2013 at 14:29
Minni wrote (see)
Lol Oompa!

Z - I can only see a box - where's the pussy?

Gazelle - 3 HM between now and VLM, one of which will be run at MP. First one is in a couple of weeks.

Good session with the physio. No problems apart from that little bit of scar tissue raising its ugly head on my calf. Nothing the foam roller won't sort out.

Looks like I'm parkrunning again tomorrow since Master Minni and Miss Minni's boyfriend have decided they want to go.

Minni - "I can only see a box - where's the pussy?... Mustn't say anything... Mustn't say anything... Mustn't say anything...

04/01/2013 at 14:42
Minni wrote (see)

Minni- are they going to run?  Nothing like a bit of healthy competition... Are you racing your next HM or doing it @ MP?

KFC- well done on the intervals.  It's much better to be slightly conservative to start with than overcook it and get discouraged.

04/01/2013 at 14:56
Oompa - Norty, good retail therapy though.

KFC, that's a great session to start with. Nice progression on them.

Gazelle - could've gone more like sub 3:40, but had to change due to rain, do some stretches later on. There were also some lovely fondant fancies & cherry bake wells instead of gels too

I'm in the middle of the speed work group debate. Have done all with club since joining Jan 2012 and got massive boost from them, but moving up a group to the top one recently is nice but like Brol says once you stop getting sufficient recovery works against the whole point. Luckily got 3-4 who also moved up of similar pace, so we can drop back a bit mid session if needed. Top guys are 16-17 min 5k & 35 min 10k runners,
Gazelle, sure if you take control of the watch for timing will work with your group.

Chic, any plans / races booked for you?
04/01/2013 at 15:42

Right I got it now.  From my phone there was only an image of a carboard box but from my pc I've got the whole thing!

Gazelle - I do interval work with my club and we just run at our own paces.  Good you've got others to pull you along but watch out for injuries if the sessions are leaving you with DOMS.

Brol - I'll race my next one, then MP the one in the first week in March, then race the one the week after (the Northumberland half, which Carrot, kfc and maybe Sarah) are doing too.  At least that's the plan at the moment.

I spoke to the physio today about barefoot running.  He said he doesn't rate it at all and sees a lot of people with foot problems caused by it.  He also said if we want to go au naturale we need to get on our all fours! 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/01/2013 at 15:46
Minni wrote (see)

He also said if we want to go au naturale we need to get on our all fours! 

that's how you get into trouble in the first place!

04/01/2013 at 15:48

04/01/2013 at 16:39
Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)

Thanks Sarah, Marathon monday went fine, just time on feet for ultra after the 10k, kept HR below 150-145, soaked through by 2 laps of 4, so had to change and had a waterproof unlike O4S (shocking!), legs tired at 17-18 miles but finished comfortably sub 4 (3:50). Only problem, ravenous since then. Didn't really go mad over Xmas so allowing myself some treats.

Congratulations on your marathon and on your 10k. I was reading the race report quicker and quicker as I went along through excitment.

Mr Z .....im loving the gift, what a cute cat.

Brolish I went through about 6 pairs of trainers before I found a pair that didnt give me blisters or cause a burning sensation underneath my foot...luckily I had bought them from sweat shop so I could keep on taking them back to swop them.

Oompa....fabulous retail therapy...I called into a few shops in town today but I didnt find anything

Minni, good luck at the park run tomorrow.

Today was my long run day. My aim was 15 miles at 8:50-9:40 min/mls. Due to the paths at the side of the river (where I normally run out doors) being under water still, and other possible routes being heavily polluted by cars and people I decided to go to the gym to do it (although I dont think I will be repeating that again in a hurry). 15.27 miles and 136 mins later I finally got of the TM. I started off at 8:49 min/mls but through bordem I did increase it to 8:41 min/mls after 5 mls and then 8:33 min/mls for the last mile (as I just wanted to get off the bloody thing). Was a bit quicker than I had planned, but actually over 1mph less than my normal pace on the TM for my longer runs. I had set the TM to hills, level 2 so the incline kept altering between 0-2.2% to try to mimic the outdoors a little! My legs feel suprisingly great, almost like I havent run

04/01/2013 at 18:31
Minni - He would say that, otherwise he'd be out of job. So as long as runners continue to heal strike, he's a happy bunny.

Mr Z - Great gif video, no probs on iPad.

Sarah - Yes lsr's on a TM can be tough, you need some music or a tv to watch.

Went for 1st run for a week since heal problem. Decided to do a trail run, dunes/beach/pinewoods, as pace is slower, and softer underfoot. Went ok, 7.5m in 1:16 @ 9.57 pace. Tracks were waterlogged, and tried to find alternative routes but the weren't any, so just ran thru calf deep pools of water. Luckily not too cold, and surprisingly a nice warm feeling after a few mins, a bit like peeing in your wet suit.
I'll try a longer road run on Sunday to test it a bit more.

KFC - Glad you're enjoying the #F# plan training plan. You must be aiming for 3:10-3:15 target.

FRC - Well done on your races.
04/01/2013 at 19:27

Brol - I've got Wokingham HM 10 Feb, and going to try a do a Parkrun every other weekend work permiting, good luck for tomorrow.

Minni -  You racing the Parkrun or pacing the youngsters around?

kfc -   Nothing wrong with the pace on your intervals, when I attempted F*man last year I found some of the paces very hard to hit.

Simon  Sounds like a fun run and hopefully your foot is OK.

Rest day for me today and trip to Physio for monthly massage, have been foam rollering more but he still managed to inflict some pain.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
04/01/2013 at 19:32

Good to see people getting over niggles and back into training.

Bro - Good luck with XC tomorrow.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Hour in the pool this morning and 1:15 planned for the bike in the morning and the same as a LSR on Sunday.

04/01/2013 at 19:43

Evening all. I've resurrected an old favourite that some of you might remember. Friday night is beer and pizza night

Off to physio in the morning. If it doesn't go well there's a turbo trainer in Halfords reduced for £210 to £99......

Shins feel fine at the minute. But then they always feel OK when I'm not running. I've been wearing compression calf sleeves for 2 days solid. 

Oompa - nice retail therapy

I see Furman is back... Maybe I'll try it......

Minni - all this smutty talk..... "Where's the pussy" is a line I heard loads on my nights out in Newcastle

04/01/2013 at 19:43

Simon - 3.10?     I'm just trying to get myself to the startline fit this year - if I'm in 3.30 shape I'll be super happy.

04/01/2013 at 19:50

xpost Spoons - surely you are not tempted by the F******?     

For the record, I'd much rather be able to bash out more mileage, but it seems to be the best way to train with only 3 runs a week.  If the other option is not running, I know what I'm choosing!

04/01/2013 at 20:09

I think whatever happens I need to get back into swimming. I'm sure I had a lot more overall fitness and strength when I swam regularly. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.