RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,101 to 25,120 of 37,090 messages
04/01/2013 at 14:56
Oompa - Norty, good retail therapy though.

KFC, that's a great session to start with. Nice progression on them.

Gazelle - could've gone more like sub 3:40, but had to change due to rain, do some stretches later on. There were also some lovely fondant fancies & cherry bake wells instead of gels too

I'm in the middle of the speed work group debate. Have done all with club since joining Jan 2012 and got massive boost from them, but moving up a group to the top one recently is nice but like Brol says once you stop getting sufficient recovery works against the whole point. Luckily got 3-4 who also moved up of similar pace, so we can drop back a bit mid session if needed. Top guys are 16-17 min 5k & 35 min 10k runners,
Gazelle, sure if you take control of the watch for timing will work with your group.

Chic, any plans / races booked for you?
04/01/2013 at 15:42

Right I got it now.  From my phone there was only an image of a carboard box but from my pc I've got the whole thing!

Gazelle - I do interval work with my club and we just run at our own paces.  Good you've got others to pull you along but watch out for injuries if the sessions are leaving you with DOMS.

Brol - I'll race my next one, then MP the one in the first week in March, then race the one the week after (the Northumberland half, which Carrot, kfc and maybe Sarah) are doing too.  At least that's the plan at the moment.

I spoke to the physio today about barefoot running.  He said he doesn't rate it at all and sees a lot of people with foot problems caused by it.  He also said if we want to go au naturale we need to get on our all fours! 

M.r Zuvai    pirate
04/01/2013 at 15:46
Minni wrote (see)

He also said if we want to go au naturale we need to get on our all fours! 

that's how you get into trouble in the first place!

04/01/2013 at 15:48

04/01/2013 at 16:39
Fit-Running-Cat wrote (see)

Thanks Sarah, Marathon monday went fine, just time on feet for ultra after the 10k, kept HR below 150-145, soaked through by 2 laps of 4, so had to change and had a waterproof unlike O4S (shocking!), legs tired at 17-18 miles but finished comfortably sub 4 (3:50). Only problem, ravenous since then. Didn't really go mad over Xmas so allowing myself some treats.

Congratulations on your marathon and on your 10k. I was reading the race report quicker and quicker as I went along through excitment.

Mr Z .....im loving the gift, what a cute cat.

Brolish I went through about 6 pairs of trainers before I found a pair that didnt give me blisters or cause a burning sensation underneath my foot...luckily I had bought them from sweat shop so I could keep on taking them back to swop them.

Oompa....fabulous retail therapy...I called into a few shops in town today but I didnt find anything

Minni, good luck at the park run tomorrow.

Today was my long run day. My aim was 15 miles at 8:50-9:40 min/mls. Due to the paths at the side of the river (where I normally run out doors) being under water still, and other possible routes being heavily polluted by cars and people I decided to go to the gym to do it (although I dont think I will be repeating that again in a hurry). 15.27 miles and 136 mins later I finally got of the TM. I started off at 8:49 min/mls but through bordem I did increase it to 8:41 min/mls after 5 mls and then 8:33 min/mls for the last mile (as I just wanted to get off the bloody thing). Was a bit quicker than I had planned, but actually over 1mph less than my normal pace on the TM for my longer runs. I had set the TM to hills, level 2 so the incline kept altering between 0-2.2% to try to mimic the outdoors a little! My legs feel suprisingly great, almost like I havent run

04/01/2013 at 18:31
Minni - He would say that, otherwise he'd be out of job. So as long as runners continue to heal strike, he's a happy bunny.

Mr Z - Great gif video, no probs on iPad.

Sarah - Yes lsr's on a TM can be tough, you need some music or a tv to watch.

Went for 1st run for a week since heal problem. Decided to do a trail run, dunes/beach/pinewoods, as pace is slower, and softer underfoot. Went ok, 7.5m in 1:16 @ 9.57 pace. Tracks were waterlogged, and tried to find alternative routes but the weren't any, so just ran thru calf deep pools of water. Luckily not too cold, and surprisingly a nice warm feeling after a few mins, a bit like peeing in your wet suit.
I'll try a longer road run on Sunday to test it a bit more.

KFC - Glad you're enjoying the #F# plan training plan. You must be aiming for 3:10-3:15 target.

FRC - Well done on your races.
04/01/2013 at 19:27

Brol - I've got Wokingham HM 10 Feb, and going to try a do a Parkrun every other weekend work permiting, good luck for tomorrow.

Minni -  You racing the Parkrun or pacing the youngsters around?

kfc -   Nothing wrong with the pace on your intervals, when I attempted F*man last year I found some of the paces very hard to hit.

Simon  Sounds like a fun run and hopefully your foot is OK.

Rest day for me today and trip to Physio for monthly massage, have been foam rollering more but he still managed to inflict some pain.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
04/01/2013 at 19:32

Good to see people getting over niggles and back into training.

Bro - Good luck with XC tomorrow.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

Hour in the pool this morning and 1:15 planned for the bike in the morning and the same as a LSR on Sunday.

04/01/2013 at 19:43

Evening all. I've resurrected an old favourite that some of you might remember. Friday night is beer and pizza night

Off to physio in the morning. If it doesn't go well there's a turbo trainer in Halfords reduced for £210 to £99......

Shins feel fine at the minute. But then they always feel OK when I'm not running. I've been wearing compression calf sleeves for 2 days solid. 

Oompa - nice retail therapy

I see Furman is back... Maybe I'll try it......

Minni - all this smutty talk..... "Where's the pussy" is a line I heard loads on my nights out in Newcastle

04/01/2013 at 19:43

Simon - 3.10?     I'm just trying to get myself to the startline fit this year - if I'm in 3.30 shape I'll be super happy.

04/01/2013 at 19:50

xpost Spoons - surely you are not tempted by the F******?     

For the record, I'd much rather be able to bash out more mileage, but it seems to be the best way to train with only 3 runs a week.  If the other option is not running, I know what I'm choosing!

04/01/2013 at 20:09

I think whatever happens I need to get back into swimming. I'm sure I had a lot more overall fitness and strength when I swam regularly. 

04/01/2013 at 20:11
KFC - I meant to say that those paces are very good for someone in the comeback trail. I'm sure that's what I do 800s in at the best of time. You're right - it's all about doing what's best for you.

Simon - what he was saying is he sees a lot of foot injuries so it probably is good for his business.

Spoons - miaowwww prrr....prrr.

I'm struggling with no wine tonight.

Barry - pacing the youngsters tomorrow.

Sarah - already said on your thread but well done today!
04/01/2013 at 20:33

Sarah - that's great well done. Did you watch TV or listen to music?

i'm pissed now

04/01/2013 at 21:06

FRC, great report. Well done on keeping going when it felt like it was all slipping away and pushing so hard at the end.

Minni wrote (see)

PS -  I'm loving running just now.

Minni,

It seems to be new shoes day on the forum today.

I try and foam roller after every run as I find it less painful than if I leave it for a while.

Simon, 7.5 miles seems quite a long distance to do after an injury. Is it worth doing some shorter distances to build things up gradually?

Could feel yesterdays spin in my quads today. Managed a lunchtime circuits class that was doubly 9a - both my OH and my team didn't know I was doing it since I was sitting with a different team today. Enjoyed it  and I wasn't the least fit there... in fact I think the girls there seemed to do better than the boys!  I'm going to try to do the circuits once a week and the spin when I can since I'm already cycling a bit so the circuits is probably a better complement. I mainly need to get over my guilt at taking a longer than usual lunch break especially as I think I worked more intensely in the morning in order to get away from my desk.

04/01/2013 at 21:09
Spoons. wrote (see)

Sarah - that's great well done. Did you watch TV or listen to music?

i'm pissed now

I listened to music...not a big fan of the TV. Lucky for me I had 5 new albums bought me for christmas so I got to listen to the majority of them today

04/01/2013 at 21:33

I don't watch mutch TV either although I do like movies. When I had a treadmill I used to put a DVD on and run until the credits roll.

04/01/2013 at 22:51
Spoons - Well done, those Tom and Jerry DVD's can last nearly 15mins...lol

Becs - Yes I probably should have. But Before I found this thread, I would do 3-4m steady runs, and anything more than 9m was a lsr. But after finding all you mile munchers, I never go out for less than 5-6m, and 9m is bearly a Msr. And it was mainly on sand so it felt ok.

Has anyone else tried the split screen keyboard on the iPad/Mini, I'm not sure whether I like it, and having it in the middle of the screen is a bit weird!
04/01/2013 at 23:01

Simon - tried it and don't use it

05/01/2013 at 06:32
Simon - it happened by accident on my iPad and I couldn't work out what I had done! Had to google it to find out how to get rid of it but like you already know...I'm a bit rubbish like that!

Anyway - 8 miles for me yesterday with 6@7:40 pace. That felt like 10k pace

Am venturing out on my bike with the cleats and clippy shoes for the first time thus morning. This might be my last post.....

Good luck park runners.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.