RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,141 to 25,160 of 36,140 messages
05/01/2013 at 21:20

Physio report is everything I expected really but just the kick up the arse I needed. Due to all the shite in my life over the last year my mileage has halved. You would think that might help but...... I have a history of issues due to dodgy gait, lower back issues and muscular imbalances. I have managed these through doing loads of swimming, core work, yoga, pilates, weight training, massage and foam rollering. The problem is that whilst 50% of my mileage has been dropped, 95% of the other stuff has been dropped as well.

So the good news is the solution is simple and what I already know. Up the other stuff massively. I also need to take a week off running and then gradually build up again.

Spring marathon is still a possibility although it won't be a quick one. I'll use it as a stepping stone for building up fitness again.

Apologies for being the first to screw up Jantastic

05/01/2013 at 21:25
Oh no Spoons but all is not lost .... I think you can still change your Jantastic target runs

Now, what you need is an Autumn marathon and might know just the one....
05/01/2013 at 21:31

I can think of a few. Abingdon, New Forest, Luton.....

05/01/2013 at 21:34

I've updated Jantastic to 3 runs a week which is the minimum. 

05/01/2013 at 21:38
There's a new one being run up here in Oct - The Nothumbrrland Castles Marathon. Linear road and reasonably flat.
05/01/2013 at 23:01
Spoons - Thanks for that, I might give it a try.

Minni - I thought you would of been pushing Spoons to do TM!
06/01/2013 at 09:16
Carrot - you are getting some seriously good training in with the gym and the running club at present. Well done.

Spoons - you know what you've gotta do. You'll get there.

Minni - nice YKW running with the boy. It's so great to have them running with you. I thought you might be tempted to race it!

Chick, KFC, amazing reps.

I managed 20 miles on the white lightening yesterday. But my back killed me. I really think if I'm serious about doing this half IM I will have to reinvest and get a bike that fits me better. Good news - I didn't fall off
Supposed to be doing reps today but zero energy. The CNBA fairy has taken over at present.

Day 6 off the booze too.... Even went out for a curry with friends and didn't drink. Hated the thought of it but once I was out I was ok.... I CAN DO THIS!
06/01/2013 at 10:09

Spoons -   At least you know what it is and don't write off a decent spring mara yet, still plenty of time.

AA -  Good effort on the bike, don't know a lot about cycling but could you get current bike set up better?

14 miles out and back for me this morning avg 7:40, first 7 between 8:28 and 7:40,     7 back  between 7:36 and 7:09.

06/01/2013 at 10:51

AA - half price bike sale on Wiggle well done for not falling off! Good news on the booze front as well. Next drink in the Chandos?

Barry - nice 14 miler

06/01/2013 at 10:55

Training update:

Saturday was 1 hour yoga and pilates plus 2 hour walk

Just done 90 minutes yoga and pilates. 

I'm knackered!!!

06/01/2013 at 11:16

Spoons: good news and bad news then. At least you know what's gotta be done. Bring on the autumn marathon season then . Well done on the yoga/pilates sesh.

Minni: sounds like a fun day out parkrunning with the family. LOL @ huge bum. Looks can be deceiving though ... I ran a half once chasing a huge bum about 50 yards ahead. I really wanted to pass her but couldn't get close. I think I finally managed it at about 12 miles and only with an almighty push .

Ant: great cycling! What's the weather like in  Andalucia?

BarryB: Happy Anniversary!!  I'm following the HTFU Chick plan. I'm rubbish at longer reps so I'm forcing myself to do some more or those. Gimme 400s or 800s any day though. Nice progressive 14 miler today!

Gazelle: I took 4 min jog recoveries (they felt like 1 minute, honest!).

AA: well done on the wagon. I bet it feels more like week 6 than day 6

It's raining again (or still?) Been pacing up and down the room like a caged animal all morning. Luckily this is a cut back week, so only 14 to do.

06/01/2013 at 13:42

Spoons - looks like you are joining me in team wobbly core!  Sounds like a great opportunity to get back into good habits - I know I'd kidded myself for ages that because I used to do it I'd be OK still now.  It was only 4 weeks ago I was just running 1 mile max and it felt rotten not being able to do much then, but building up gradually again with lots of core, stretching and cross training seems to be working. 

Re the spring marathon, I guess thats something you may need to reassess closer to the time - it may come too soon depending on how you rehab

AA - nice one on getting out on the bike.  Its amazing how much small changes to your seat height, saddle position and handlebar position make to ride comfortably - and these are all easy and free or cheap to do.  You'll be getting used to a new riding position and odds are you'll have been pretty tense your first time clipped in so thats likely to make you sore too.  The best way to work out whats best for you is to keep making small adjustments while you are out over your next few rides.  Do you know a bike geek who can come out with you and help? 

Ant - mtb sounds great - was it an xc stage race or just your own touring?

Still feeling sniffly, another rest day for me. 

06/01/2013 at 13:47

Weeble - I know - me doing speedwork, whats that all about!  Thanks for the encouragement, I really hope I keep it up and make it a habit.  Good to hear from you, are you still running OK?  If not, sounds like some good aerobic cross training will help you start feeling better pretty soon - that marathon base doesn't leave you easily.

06/01/2013 at 13:51

Spoons, bad news on the Spring marathon, but good to know what you have to do. Hope the worst of the shite is over now. Are you okay for time to do the cross training and the running (when your mileage builds back up again)? I know there's a limit on how much I can fit in so more cross training is going to mean I'm likely to have to compromise on less running.

I'm also hurting after my cross training. Did a recovery cycle yesterday and barely made it home quads were sore and core had had enough!

AA, well done on surviving the cleats. They scare me, although I did find it quite funny the other day when I dropped one guy with all the gear and a swish bike at the traffic lights as he couldn't get his feet into the clips. He did fly past me later, but it was quite a bit later! I think someone a while ago said about paying to get your bike set up properly, which might be a solution instead of buying a new bike?

Nice family outing Minni. When I parkrun with my sister there's no running with each other. Unfortunately she's the one who leaves me in the dust . Gives me something to aim for and my first target after I improve my knee is going to be to improve my 5k time.

Hope you got out there Chick.

06/01/2013 at 14:12
Happy Noooo Year Everybody. Hope everyone had a great time .
I'm back from the mountains and rearing to go
Haven't accessed the Internet so I've got lots of catching up to do
What are these challenges I'm getting from random people on Jantastic? Think I recognise a few names heh heh . What do I have to do ?
So did lots of hill and high altitude training without running once but managed a 21 mile LR today averaging 8 mm. Should have been 19 but I got lost . That'll do for tis time of the year. Now how am I going to do 79 miles in the next 9 days before I hit the mountains again for a few days?
Would have loved to run in the snow but would have lost a few browny points. Saw one guy at 10000 feet jogging down a red run - pretty impressive .
Lunch coming up then a five hour drive. Hope to catch up with all your news ASAP .
06/01/2013 at 14:19

Minni - great day out for your family parkrun Mr Kiwi is doing his first one next week, hoping he comes back with a bit more enthusiasm for running. 

Spoons - good to hear the solution is simple and that you are back into all the cross training.

Ant and AA - nice cycling.

Barry a very nice 14 miles from you, Happy Anniversary too!

Weeble - stick with us, I know how hard it is coming back from injury, but it's nice to still feel part of the running community on here

Kfc - hope you shift that cold soon!

Becs I'm knackered today too after Spin and corework at the gym this morning.

The bionic woman has now permanently taken over Sunday classes, she is brilliant (she wears a 'Born to Tri' teeshirt, so obviously very comfortable on a bike!), we did a mixture of sprints, hill climbs - sitting and standing, and the hardest of all standing sprints. Loved it but have very achy thighs now! Sadly excited that the freebie Start Fitness diary I got with a recent purchase, has 2 seperate graph mileage logs, 1 for running and 1 for cycling, so my 2 spin sessions this week tallied 33 miles, which I am happy with, so much better than my single digit running miles 

06/01/2013 at 14:31

Good to have you back 2old.

Kiwi - I gave those books to some of my friends including 2 who are just starting running.  You're really going for the spin!  I'm sure it will help you once you're back running.

18m banked this morning on an undulating route with three or four big hills (total ascent just over 1850 ft), avg 8:38.

Dubai Dave    pirate
06/01/2013 at 14:33

Hey All

Minni: Must try to get my family park running when I get back.

Gazelle: Would like to run whilst away skiing but based on the fact that I always ski from 1st lift to last lift its unlikley that I will unless there is a treadmill handy, my experience of trying to run on ski resorts in the dark is that its not easy! 

Spoons: You will get there, its hard work but you will.

2Old: where have you been?

Cycled for 90 mins pre dawn, ran 7 miles when I got home. Enforced Taper can start next week

06/01/2013 at 15:15

welcome back, 2old . That guy jogging down the mountain sounds scary!

Nice 18 banked, Minni!

14 for me - hated it. What with the wind it felt like 1850 of ascent too . 8:40ish or thereabouts. Could feel yesterday's speedwork. My HR was low but legs refused to turn properly. Anyway, glad it's done.

I changed my number of Jantastic runs back to 6...  7 sounded a bit scary, especially for January where we can't be sure about snow and ice and stuff. At least that's my excuse

06/01/2013 at 15:21
Minni - good to be back- still banging out some solid mileage I see
DD- tignes/ Val DIsere. Fantastic conditions. Lots of off piste powder. Looking good for your marathon
Chick - he was - don't you do runs like that throughout the winter anyway ? Tough one for you today
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.