RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,141 to 25,160 of 37,116 messages
06/01/2013 at 13:47

Weeble - I know - me doing speedwork, whats that all about!  Thanks for the encouragement, I really hope I keep it up and make it a habit.  Good to hear from you, are you still running OK?  If not, sounds like some good aerobic cross training will help you start feeling better pretty soon - that marathon base doesn't leave you easily.

06/01/2013 at 13:51

Spoons, bad news on the Spring marathon, but good to know what you have to do. Hope the worst of the shite is over now. Are you okay for time to do the cross training and the running (when your mileage builds back up again)? I know there's a limit on how much I can fit in so more cross training is going to mean I'm likely to have to compromise on less running.

I'm also hurting after my cross training. Did a recovery cycle yesterday and barely made it home quads were sore and core had had enough!

AA, well done on surviving the cleats. They scare me, although I did find it quite funny the other day when I dropped one guy with all the gear and a swish bike at the traffic lights as he couldn't get his feet into the clips. He did fly past me later, but it was quite a bit later! I think someone a while ago said about paying to get your bike set up properly, which might be a solution instead of buying a new bike?

Nice family outing Minni. When I parkrun with my sister there's no running with each other. Unfortunately she's the one who leaves me in the dust . Gives me something to aim for and my first target after I improve my knee is going to be to improve my 5k time.

Hope you got out there Chick.

06/01/2013 at 14:12
Happy Noooo Year Everybody. Hope everyone had a great time .
I'm back from the mountains and rearing to go
Haven't accessed the Internet so I've got lots of catching up to do
What are these challenges I'm getting from random people on Jantastic? Think I recognise a few names heh heh . What do I have to do ?
So did lots of hill and high altitude training without running once but managed a 21 mile LR today averaging 8 mm. Should have been 19 but I got lost . That'll do for tis time of the year. Now how am I going to do 79 miles in the next 9 days before I hit the mountains again for a few days?
Would have loved to run in the snow but would have lost a few browny points. Saw one guy at 10000 feet jogging down a red run - pretty impressive .
Lunch coming up then a five hour drive. Hope to catch up with all your news ASAP .
06/01/2013 at 14:19

Minni - great day out for your family parkrun Mr Kiwi is doing his first one next week, hoping he comes back with a bit more enthusiasm for running. 

Spoons - good to hear the solution is simple and that you are back into all the cross training.

Ant and AA - nice cycling.

Barry a very nice 14 miles from you, Happy Anniversary too!

Weeble - stick with us, I know how hard it is coming back from injury, but it's nice to still feel part of the running community on here

Kfc - hope you shift that cold soon!

Becs I'm knackered today too after Spin and corework at the gym this morning.

The bionic woman has now permanently taken over Sunday classes, she is brilliant (she wears a 'Born to Tri' teeshirt, so obviously very comfortable on a bike!), we did a mixture of sprints, hill climbs - sitting and standing, and the hardest of all standing sprints. Loved it but have very achy thighs now! Sadly excited that the freebie Start Fitness diary I got with a recent purchase, has 2 seperate graph mileage logs, 1 for running and 1 for cycling, so my 2 spin sessions this week tallied 33 miles, which I am happy with, so much better than my single digit running miles 

06/01/2013 at 14:31

Good to have you back 2old.

Kiwi - I gave those books to some of my friends including 2 who are just starting running.  You're really going for the spin!  I'm sure it will help you once you're back running.

18m banked this morning on an undulating route with three or four big hills (total ascent just over 1850 ft), avg 8:38.

Dubai Dave    pirate
06/01/2013 at 14:33

Hey All

Minni: Must try to get my family park running when I get back.

Gazelle: Would like to run whilst away skiing but based on the fact that I always ski from 1st lift to last lift its unlikley that I will unless there is a treadmill handy, my experience of trying to run on ski resorts in the dark is that its not easy! 

Spoons: You will get there, its hard work but you will.

2Old: where have you been?

Cycled for 90 mins pre dawn, ran 7 miles when I got home. Enforced Taper can start next week

06/01/2013 at 15:15

welcome back, 2old . That guy jogging down the mountain sounds scary!

Nice 18 banked, Minni!

14 for me - hated it. What with the wind it felt like 1850 of ascent too . 8:40ish or thereabouts. Could feel yesterday's speedwork. My HR was low but legs refused to turn properly. Anyway, glad it's done.

I changed my number of Jantastic runs back to 6...  7 sounded a bit scary, especially for January where we can't be sure about snow and ice and stuff. At least that's my excuse

06/01/2013 at 15:21
Minni - good to be back- still banging out some solid mileage I see
DD- tignes/ Val DIsere. Fantastic conditions. Lots of off piste powder. Looking good for your marathon
Chick - he was - don't you do runs like that throughout the winter anyway ? Tough one for you today
06/01/2013 at 15:27

Spoons -  Keep your chin up and keep going and you'll be back before you know it.

A mixed 14 miler from me today... Felt great at times, lousy at others? I hate the first week of mara training, especially when you don't have a decent base! Averaged 8.17.

Dubai Dave    pirate
06/01/2013 at 16:18
2old: good were going to val d'Isere on Sunday
Dubai Dave    pirate
06/01/2013 at 16:19
2old: good were going to val d'Isere on Sunday!
06/01/2013 at 16:31
DD- fingers crossed for some fresh snow! Don't think you'll need to throw a run in
06/01/2013 at 16:34

Weeble - hope you're OK, Jantastic sounds like just what you need to get something to focus on.

Spoons - at least the answers were expected, just got to get back into old habits.  Fingers crossed that will sort things out.

That's a decent 14 miler Barry, happy 20th anniversary!

You'll have strong legs after all these spinning classes Kiwi!

First LSR banked for me this year, I've already run longer than I did training for Berlin  20 miles @ 8:26.

06/01/2013 at 16:45

Carrot - 20 already  excellent.

Minni - great long run in the hills.

DD - nice brick sesh...

Kiwi - you're loving the spinning. Thats gonna be so good for you.

Chick - I know how you feel but it feels lovely when its donwe for the day, hey!

Welcome back 2old.

Barry - is it just you and me from on here doing Wokingham?

I kicked the fairy out the way this morning and finally got my 5x1200s done on the tready

06/01/2013 at 17:09

Nice 1200s AA

nice 20 miler Carrot

06/01/2013 at 17:20

Carrot - do you have a target time in mind for London?  I think there maybe a few of us looking for similar times - might make a nice train!  How long are you down for?

AA - well done for getting on that treadmill.  

06/01/2013 at 17:44
AA- well done for getting on that bike and kicking the CNBA fairy
Carrot- nice 20m.
Spoons- hope you get better in time for the spring mara.

The Surrey Champs Xc went well. Not the hilliest of courses but a total mud fest. I felt I ran strong and overtook quite a few ladies on the second lap including a couple of club mates you usually kick my a*s which is always a good sign. Ended up 55th out of 115. My club mate who runs 2:48 maras was 16th so it gives you an idea of what I was up against...
18m @ 8:37 done today.
06/01/2013 at 17:48

Well done getting intervals in on a Sunday AA, and for staying on the wagon! 

As yet Minni it'll be a PB, any PB!  I'm going to see how Brass Monkey goes in two weeks - this is partly why I wanted to get a 20 in this week, as I'll not be doing one next week and will probably do about 16 miles with WU and CD at BM.  I'd love to go for under 3:20 but I'm wary of aiming too high and crashing and burning!  So current target is sub-3:25.  We're probably going to do Amsterdam in October so I can always aim for a quicker time there as it's a good flat course.  Booked today for the London weekend, going Friday til Monday so a skinful can be had on the Sunday night

06/01/2013 at 17:52

I was thinking of you XC-ing today Bro when I was running along a muddy verge!  Sounds like you did really well, great work beating your nemeses.  Long run pace feels nice after a tough race the day before.

06/01/2013 at 17:55
Ok I'm definitely taking Monday off after VLM...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.