RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,181 to 25,200 of 37,230 messages
07/01/2013 at 08:39

Sorry, one quick question as I've just got off of the Garmin support line - for people whose watches have broken, would they let you change model? I've been offered a very good deal on a new 405CX but was thinking about getting a 410 or 610 but they wouldn't budge, saying you're not allowed to change model.

07/01/2013 at 08:40

Hi all

Hope everyone good - just been having a read back but lots to catch up on!  In short - have had a mega-busy Dec and a bit of a challenging Xmas/NY which ended in a bad cold but am have just about recovered in time for Jantastic - bring it on! Am tweaking things a bit this time (4 runs per week) as am learning to swim properly as X-training..... with luck I will be able to get a fifth run in some weeks but my best 9a skills will be required!

Happy training all!!

G

07/01/2013 at 09:26
Weeble. wrote (see)

Have you done Watford before Bro? I think it's a really nice race, but there are definitely some killer hills in there. I'd be doing it this year but I'm off on holiday that day.

Weeble- I ran it two years ago and enjoyed it but definitely found the hills tough. How is your running going at the moment?

2Old- welcome back, sounds like you had a blast.  Can't wait to hit the piste on Sunday!

Carrot wrote (see)

So current target is sub-3:25.  We're probably going to do Amsterdam in October so I can always aim for a quicker time there as it's a good flat course.  Booked today for the London weekend, going Friday til Monday so a skinful can be had on the Sunday night

Carrot- it does sound like we'll have a similar target. Mine is anything under 3:26 at the moment!

Redwood- glad to hear the recovery is going well. I never tried to chagne a model when getting a garmin replacement so can't help.

I've been off the booze since NYE and feeling great.  This week is going to be tough as trying to squeeze in as much as possible before going on hols. This means doing a 20miler on Friday after work. Can't wait to hit the slopes now.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
07/01/2013 at 09:34

fantastic to see you getting on the recovery so well Red! - you'll be lashing the ball through the covers before long   PS - did you see the scrap between warne and samuels in BB?

Im on the january wagon too - my brother and i do it every year! im feeling great for it!

Welcome back cooks - it's been a mega couple of months for you! hope you're well!

07/01/2013 at 11:20
Redwood wrote (see)

Sorry, one quick question as I've just got off of the Garmin support line - for people whose watches have broken, would they let you change model? I've been offered a very good deal on a new 405CX but was thinking about getting a 410 or 610 but they wouldn't budge, saying you're not allowed to change model.

Garmin Germany gave me the 410 for my smashed and broken 405CX. They said they had no more 405Cxs in stock although I would have been happy with one. What model do you currently use?

wow, carrot: 20 miles already! That's amazing. And a good pace too. Great stuff.

Jantastic is all about creativity . When I was sick for a few days last year I did 9a doubles. Put workout gear on when I left work, stopped car enroute to home. Ran 2 miles, put office gear on top of now slightly sweaty running gear, drove home. Told other half: 'am off for a run now' ...

07/01/2013 at 11:50

Bro- where are you going? Probably the best New Year skiing since Whistler 4 years ago. A 20 miler just before you go w3ill be a great way to loosen the legs. I wished Id done a bit more cycling though as my thighs were battered by the moguls.

Simon-nice solution to the problem.

Red-nice run on your way back.Im always amazed how the professionals and dedicated seem to get through injurys though I suppose they are helped by their support team.What did she have to get through?

Chick-thats ataking running discipline to a new level

Mr Z- this month last year I skid swam and cycled and ran -not to your level swimming and cycling- but think im just going to run and ski this time around as Im trying to increase my run mileage. Saying that if my body starts to fall apart as its prone to do I may rethink the plan

Spoons-my calves hurt-dont use them much skiing but they do get hammered running 21 miles after a week off

07/01/2013 at 11:58

Hey Cooks, welcome back. Are you able to help get me an entry for TW half? I thought that i had plenty of time as it doesn't normally sell out, only to find it has this morning... Disaster, as it's my favourite half!!!

07/01/2013 at 11:58

2Old- off to Whistler

07/01/2013 at 13:00

aww, Oompa - hate it when that happens. When I still lived in the UK it happened one year with Brentwood Half. Suddenly previously low-key races become popular. I owe it to forever that I got a place ... we swapped as she had found a half closer to her home and no longer wanted to run Brentwood. Hope you can sort something out!

07/01/2013 at 13:10
Afternoon all.

Day 7 for me off the booze now. Hats off mrZ doing it every year! I'm feeling good now. Had a tough weekend, found I missed my Sunday afternoon glass of red the most but have got through it and would love to be able to hang on for January....

Redders - good to see you recovering so well.

First Jantastic run done for me today. A trendy 5 miler @8:50 pace. Off to log it
07/01/2013 at 13:13

Have a great time Bro. I was going to say ski safe, but you boarders spend most of the time on your backsides anyway! 

Chick - Fingers crossed, i can get in? Cooks is a member of TW Harriers so may be able to pull a few strings... Or failing that, downright bribery could be the order of the day!!!

07/01/2013 at 13:17

Chick - I've got the 405CX but was thinking about changing to 410. As it sounds like you've had both, which is your preference? I like the 405CX, but it's a bit chunky.

Mr Z - was reading about the Warne/Samuels bust up on the way to work so had a quick google when I got in. All very juvenile, but I guess T20 is about entertaining the crowds and the size of the fine would indicate the powers that be weren't that fussed about it!

2old - not so much recovering from injury, just generally not acknowledging them in the first place!  

M.r Zuvai    pirate
07/01/2013 at 13:28

Red - there wasnt too much in it - just an attempt from Warne to unsettle the batsmen as the stars were losing the game and running out of ideas, and samuels gamesmanship the first innings gave Warne an angle to work with - it certainly got the crowd into the game ( an unbelievable 50,000 for a domestic game! ) far more serious was the top edge that samuels got off malinga - went right between the grill and the peak- looked pretty serious - not much news as to how he's doing  

2old - the swim and cycle volume is much lower than last year - got a bit more time between marathon and IM. Im also pushing the run milage much higher than ever before - so just using the bit of cycling and swimming as injury prevention more than anything. There's no better recovery from a long run than a gentle swim!

AA - we should form a support group

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 13:31
07/01/2013 at 13:30

Hi everyone,

Good to see lots of great long runs being banked!

2Old, glad you enjoyed Val D'Isere (we went there last year - great resort), and Bro, have a great time in Whistler.

Redwood, glad you're on the way back.

Spoons, sorry to hear about the injury but at least you've got a plan to get back on track now.

I'm in a similar boat really. I've finally conceded defeat and realised this injury isn't going to get better unless I actually properly rest. Had yet another bug last week so didn't run at all for 6 days but it was still playing up on my 8-miler today (during which 2 miles @ 7:10 felt ridiculously tough) and feel it needs a good few weeks' rest. Where that leaves my running after that who knows? I'll have to see how I feel, but given how much fitness I've already lost in the past month, I'm not convinced I'll have the motivation to build back up again to where I was. Maybe I'll be raring to go after a break, I'm really not sure at this stage. Will just have to wait and see.

Anyway, enjoy your running and hope all the training plans go well for your spring marathons. Didn't want to just disappear but probably won't be on here much for a while.

Oh and Spoons, Giovannis on Saturday night if you want to heckle!

07/01/2013 at 13:41

Daren- . So sorry to hear that. I do however hope you'll be raring to go once it's sorted.  Once a runner always a runner. Good luck with the recovery and you know where to find us!

07/01/2013 at 14:36

Bro-Whistler-I want to come ...........Chamonix wont match up to it. I agree once you start you cant stop.

Daren-Its a few years since I was at Val so really enjoyed going back.Its not good about your constant niggle-sometimes rest is best.You wont lose much fitness with youth on your side whereas some of us others would be worried in your boat.Cant remember when I last ran 7.10 pace? November maybe.

Mr Z-I may be tempting fate not swimming as much and it wasnt much anyway

Red-thats the secret-dont acknowledge injury

AA-its not easy staying on the wagon, theres too much temptation in January...come to think of it its the same every month. Ive lasted since Saturday but I can see real problems approaching fast

10k recovery run at 8.17 m average. I hate recovery runs. Why do they hurt so much?Still thats my first Jantastic run done.

07/01/2013 at 14:52

Daren.   but of course you'll be raring to go when you've recovered.  Is it affecting your footie too?  Come back soon.

My wagon has been very wobbly and has thrown me off a few times (yes more than twice in less than a week....) but the good news is now all the half empty bottles are finished and the 'just in case' ones that were cooling in the fridge are finished too.  So its full steam ahead.  First day back at work.  

Just entered my Autumn marathon and its not the TM.   But I might enter that too then decide nearer the time which one to run.

07/01/2013 at 14:59

Poor Daren . Probably wise to rest up until you are properly recovered. The hardest part is admitting it. Things will get better. Fingers crossed it happens sooner rather than later for you. Enjoy the rest.

Redwood wrote (see)

Chick - I've got the 405CX but was thinking about changing to 410. As it sounds like you've had both, which is your preference? I like the 405CX, but it's a bit chunky.

The 410 is EXACTLY the same as the 405CX, apart from the colour. The 410 is black ...  and I guess the software is slightly more up to date but I haven't noticed one iota of a difference. The HRM that comes with it is different though. It chafes . So all in all I prefer the 405CX...

07/01/2013 at 15:06

2old - Completely agree about recovery runs. I was all over the place on Saturday morning, at 8.53 pace??!!!

Daren - Sorry to hear about your injury. I always try to rush back from injury too quickly (and always fail). Take a total break from running and just swim, x-train etc...

A question... Just had a snoop at Jantastic and noticed that on the leaderboard, there are a fair few people who have logged 5 runs already this week? 

Surely this is optimistic? Either that or i am slacking by not running 5 times a day! 

07/01/2013 at 15:17

Minni- are you doing the new local mara instead?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.