RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,221 to 25,240 of 36,140 messages
M.r Zuvai    pirate
07/01/2013 at 16:35

2old- i hope not! - they're red panda's a highly endangered species! Racoons do look like they're always scheming!

Darren - im sure you'll be back much sooner than you think! perhaps a couple months clean break might give you the mental break to come back with interest! if swimmings an issue - why not use this as an oppurtunity to develop a stroke?

07/01/2013 at 16:58

Daren -  Wise decision to give running a break to recover, and runners always feel sorry for themselves when not running,  but you'll be back,look what you achieved last year, be a shame to waste all that natural talent.

Red -  Good news on your steady comeback.

Well done for the start to Jantastic, my first isn't until tonight, running into and home from work on nightshift.

07/01/2013 at 17:07

Mr Z – it makes our provincial little jolly up’s at the county out-grounds seem a little bit backwards doesn’t it! The Glos skipper was saying the other day that having watched it on Sky it seems we’re missing a trick or two… having said that, most of what I’ve seen the standard hasn’t been great, but then I guess that’s the risk you take in T20.

Chick – thank you very much for that, replacement 405CX it is then! They’ve offered it for £78 which seems a pretty good deal so I shall get it ordered first thing tomorrow morning.

Daren – sorry to hear about your injury woes. I know exactly where you’re coming from and it is extremely hard. I’m sure like you've said that after a bit of time off you’ll be itching to get back into it though.

07/01/2013 at 17:24
MrZ- oops ! Should have known that as I saw some in Sydney Zoo.
Barry- isnt that two runs you'll be able to log?
07/01/2013 at 17:45

I thought it was raccoons too ....    very cute indeed.

78 quid for a replacement 405CX is great, redders! I paid about 100 for the 410

07/01/2013 at 18:39

Rest day for me today on the first day of Jantastic - glup. But I banked 14 miles yesterday at a pretty good clip and am taking it easy today post riding.

Minni - I hope you're right about it being a good spring. I've just about kicked my Achilles twinge, but still got a little ankle stiffness. I've had to rejig my training plans and am actually dumping 2 XC races to focus on getting the miles in

Chick & KFC - the weather in Andalusia was sunny most of the time, with temps around 15 degrees max, so not that warm but perfect for all those climbs. It was an organised tour via Skedaddle.

Spoons & Daren - darn injuries. I feel your pain.

Simon - yep the alpkit gamma is a good piece of kit. Came in useful in Spain actually as we got lost at one point and ended up finishing in the dark! Heel injury - is that a reoccurrence of your PF?

AA, Bro & Mr Z - big up the non boozing. I haven't had a beer since Thursday myself and plan to do the entire rest of Jan 

Carrot - 20 miles, bosh, laying down a marker already, nice one.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
07/01/2013 at 20:08

first Jantastic run done! gentle 5 mile recovery run  

07/01/2013 at 20:57

Daren - sorry to hear you're benched too. Sorry, can't do Saturday as I'm out on a work do

Another hours pilates plus another massage tonight. 

07/01/2013 at 21:05
Oompa - no way re twhm! i fear it will be an uphill battle as a warning that it was selling out went around the harriers email group last week...... however i will try & my wife says i'm very trying! hope you're Good buddy!

Daren/spoons, sorry to hear re injuries hope on mend soon.........
07/01/2013 at 21:19

hi all - some really impressive runs going on here...makes us on the road to recovery look a little pedestrian !!

another 4 mile jolly for me tonight and kept it at 9:30mmpace , good news avg hr 155 so it's dropped nearly 20bpm in 1 week...small steps i suppose !! i will stick with this until HR dropping into 140 region.

plan is to do 4 runs per wk...not part of jantastic but its my own target.

keep up the good work all

07/01/2013 at 21:28
5m easy done and logged in
07/01/2013 at 22:01

Yep that's me off the mark too with a late 3m recovery. 

Glyn - its not too late to join...   Jantastic.

There's been a bit of talk on the Asics threads and others about fuelling, or rather not fuelling for long runs.  I'm a great believer of you only get out what you put in and when marathon training make sure I get either a recovery drink or milk and food down my neck as soon as I finish a harder session.  There's all kind of talk going on about running in the evening after not eating since breakfast and not eating for 2 hours after runs the then only proteins. 

Can anyone elaborate on this?  I'd be worried that my muscles weren't getting what they need to recover.

I tend to only have water on long runs (over 16) and really only take gels later on to get used to them for the marathon.

I wonder what the thinking is behind this 'lack of food' approach.

Or really what I want to know is, would it make me faster?!!

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 22:03
07/01/2013 at 22:02

Back from Ireland, lots of difficult stuff going on over there so may not be as regular posting for a while.  Tempo run tonight, fast, hilly and felt great.  My New Year's day race has been upgraded to 1st Place FV55 - the person 15 seconds ahead of me was running on someone else's number and was actually about 12 .  Received wine and large vat of jelly babies collected for me by a clubmate.

Back to work and some semblance of normality tomorrow.  Sounds like I am the only person who didn't drink any more [and possibly less] than usual during December.  I also lost weight over Christmas / New year

07/01/2013 at 22:37

I haven't ever read anything that suggests not re-fuelling after a run is helpful. I get the arguments about doing a few training sessions on empty, but even people who advocate this approach tend not to recommend it for all of them. There have been some good Marathon Talk interviews on this. Was it Ryan Hall who was told to radically overhaul his diet and eat more?

07/01/2013 at 23:37
Ant - unfortunately no it's the other foot, which is a bit of a pain, as I thought I'd seen the last of PF. Yes I had the head torch as a chrimbo prezzie.

Red - The 410 is supposed to have solved the wet weather bezel probs of the 405. I think they will only offer you a different model, if your original model is obsolete.

2old - No I haven't entered Maddog yet, but as it's only 10k, I probably will. Have you thought of Wilmslow Half on 24th Mar.

Well done on all the Jantastic runs logged.
07/01/2013 at 23:42
Minni- I think the fast all day and run approach is crazy but thereis a trend now to do long runs without fuelling before hand / carb loading and not using gels etc when doing them. The idea is to get the body used to relying on fat for energy when the bodys natural glycogen supply runs out. It's only worth doing this for runs over an hour and a half as the body's glycogen store will last until then approx. the idea is that during the marathon you then carboload before and use gels to support the enhanced fat burning energy provided in the last six miles. It has been suggested to try not eating in the evening before a morning LR and not in the morning to further enhance this. I've been trying to eat as little as possible before a LR - maybe a piece of bread nd jam and have reduced my use of gels and water or energy drinks. For example on my 21 miler on Sunday I had toast 3 hours before and one gel after 16 miles and drank no water or energy drinks at all. I'm planning to stick to this if possible for most of the rest. With luck I won't run out of steam in the last 3-4 miles of VLM as usual and will try to finish strongly . Whether I stick to it and it works we will see.
Great understated start to Jantastic
O4S- well done on your 1st place
Glyn- come on join Jantastic. You know you want to
MrZ-another recovery run- hoe it was less painful than mine
07/01/2013 at 23:45
Simon- only10k? What are you saying...not tough enough? I plan on doing 6 -7 before it all being well. Wilmslow! Brilliant ill get onto it tomorrow. Are you massaging your PF with a tennis ball?
08/01/2013 at 00:40

well just tried to register but doesn't seem to want to accept my user name / pword...

08/01/2013 at 06:57

Minni - IMHO - not fuelling before a run makes it harder, not fuelling after a run means you take longer to recover and are more likely to get injured. Best bet is to fuel the same as you would in race conditions (I.e.not much, just gels and water) so your body gets used to it. During LSRs you can get away with less because you're not working so hard. I would take a gel when doing MP in long runs just to get used to taking them when running at MP.

08/01/2013 at 08:18

Minni -  I will run some of my LSR's unfuelled but any with MP efforts in I will take gels.  Have previously done 23 miles unfuelled, to try and get the body used to burning fat as a source of energy.  I always refuel straight after run usually chocolate milk.

4 miles slow into work last night.  Just over 9 back home this morning, 1.5 WU then 3 x 2miles with 3 min recovery then 1 mile WD, was worried they were n't going to go well as legs felt a bit stiff during warm up but it's amazing when that beep goes on the Garmin.  6:46, 6:41 and 6:43 avg for the repeats so happy with that after my slowish Parkruns over xmas.  Right I'm off to bed.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.