RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,241 to 25,260 of 37,125 messages
08/01/2013 at 11:00

Minni- I had my porridge this morning at 6.00 and was out of the door by 6.15. If you can get away with it I don't think it's a problem. I wouldn't eat anything heavier though.

08/01/2013 at 11:01

Morning all

Barry-good commuting runs and very good reps

MrZ-its when you stop counting the days you know you are winning the battle...hang on in there but a Guiness does sound nice--purely medicinal of course

Minni-didnt see you as Ready Brek girl.more of a pinhead oats cooked in in water with salt all night  sort of person. I reserve eating porridge for race morning which is a bit risky and maybe why I have to stop!

Bro-good to see you back ramping up the miles.

Chick-well done for logging a Jantastic run

Re food- I guess at our level its all about what makes us feel comfortable so that its not a worry to distract us and put us off. If it makes you happy running and keep wanting to do it then thats good enough....now wheres that Mars bar

Have to do something with some faster running today -cant say Im looking forward to it.

08/01/2013 at 11:05

16 -  .  He froze his own blood though - not of sound mind.  Probably find it was the blood that was in the gel sachets!

Brol - I didn't have time to read back and see what all the chat had been leading up to that.  I do wonder if its worth looking into more.

We had a student working here up to Christmas who was studying Sports and Nutrition and he was going to write me an eating plan but to be honest I don't think it would be any different to what I already do.  When he comes back I'll quiz him on this.

08/01/2013 at 11:07

Porridge if I have time otherwise Readybrek on long running days. Porridge on race days.   I eat an egg roll for breakfast each morning - in the car driving to work.  I'm always running too late to eat it at home.  

08/01/2013 at 11:19

Minni- it's the 2min microwavable porridge. Not much preparation time needed.

I've decided to watch what I eat a bit more and downloaded that app you mentioned. It's quite eye opening. I was always under the impression that a woman needs about 2000 calories but no, apparently I only need around 1400 to maintain my weight. That's me done with my allowance by lunch time without running!

M.r Zuvai    pirate
08/01/2013 at 11:28

re the 16 gels thing - touring cyclists develop stomachs of steel that are capable of ingesting anything so its entirely possble that he could take on that many, but given his time that would have meant a gel every 10 minutes!!  - aint nobody got time for that!

08/01/2013 at 11:31

MrZ- yeah, Ady said it was every 10-12min. I thought you can't digest more than 2 of them per hour...

08/01/2013 at 11:32

And who was carrying them all???

08/01/2013 at 11:37

16 gels?????????? wonder what was in them? 5 in a marathon is about as much as my delicate system will handle. Can we run an experiment on this thread? Have a group doing LRs with up to 16 gels another with none and how would the control group work?

Minni-your insurers wont be happy if you crash with an egg roll in your mouth

M.r Zuvai    pirate
08/01/2013 at 11:43
2oldnever wrote (see)

yeah - she'd end up with egg on her face!!  

*cough*  - i'll show myself out

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 11:43
08/01/2013 at 11:59
He must have been weighed down by all those gels. I'm sure the packets say no more than 3 an hour, and that seems excessive!

I can do a slice of malt loaf 30 mins before a slow run but haven't tried anything bigger, I'd probably end up with a stitch! I guess if the run is slow it doesn't really affect you, I can remember stuffing my face with hot cross buns, soup and mars bars at the checkpoints at Beachy Head marathon and had no digestion issues.

Everyone at work is on a health kick. I'm taking a big cake in tomorrow for a lady who is leaving, muahahahaha! One girl has bought a waterproof ipod to go swimming with, if public pools aren't chaos enough as it is there'll be folks swimming along oblivious to everyone now!
08/01/2013 at 12:22
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)
2oldnever wrote (see)

yeah - she'd end up with egg on her face!!  

*cough*  - i'll show myself out

I have a latte in the other hand.   

08/01/2013 at 12:44

I saw someone in a half marathon recently with about 10 gels stuffed in his belt.....

08/01/2013 at 13:43
Spoons. wrote (see)

I saw someone in a half marathon recently with about 10 gels stuffed in his belt.....

I'd be mortified ...   I tend to take one gel to a HM race but I never eat it. It's more like a peace of mind thing. Although I do hide it in me pocket. Wouldn't be seen dead in a HM with gels

M.r Zuvai    pirate
08/01/2013 at 13:46
chickadeee wrote (see)
Spoons. wrote (see)

I'd be mortified ...   I tend to take one gel to a HM race but I never eat it. It's more like a peace of mind thing. Although I do hide it in me pocket. Wouldn't be seen dead in a HM with gels

like O4S said - they're probably a mental crutch more than anything -they do make a nice way to break up the race - concentrate on getting to the next gel point rather than let the marathon loom large over you

08/01/2013 at 13:51
Spoons. wrote (see)

Was it Lance Armstrong?

I normally have one gel on a HM, take it after 40 mins. 2 runs logged for Jantastic.

08/01/2013 at 14:00

Last HM, I had one gel taken at about 6 miles. I did wish I had another though for 9 miles when tackling the hill. Even if it is just palcebo, you certainly feel a boost. 

First run for Jantastic today. And early run for me, ie 7:45, and I was well bushed. Made the ride into work a struggle. Don't think I can do runs before breakfast. 

On the whol carb / LR thing, Greg Mcmillan created a bit of a stir a few years ago, suggesting to do LRs with depleted energy stores. He retracted it slightly since. 

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/articlePages/article/2

M.r Zuvai    pirate
08/01/2013 at 14:12

i dont think there was anything that extrodanary in that article - the lsr's are meant to develop the body's ability to fuel with fat, and you're not going to develop that efficiently if your fuelling your runs

i dont think there was a suggestion that you should starve yourself for the lsr though

08/01/2013 at 14:18
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

i dont think there was anything that extrodanary in that article - the lsr's are meant to develop the body's ability to fuel with fat, and you're not going to develop that efficiently if your fuelling your runs

i dont think there was a suggestion that you should starve yourself for the lsr though

I beg to differ

"Finally, (and this is optional) a great way to ensure that you will deplete your carbohydrate stores on these long, steady runs is to not eat any carbohydrates immediately before or during the run. Any carbohydrates ingested will be used by the body for fuel, and we don't want this. We want to deny the body carbohydrates in these runs so that the muscles will become better at sparing the carbohydrate stores, more efficient at burning fat and used to running with lowered blood glucose levels. Now, many people think I'm crazy when I say this, but it works. It takes time to get adjusted to it if you have always been carbing up before and during your long runs, but with time and practice you can do it. I will note, however, that it is important to drink water and electrolytes throughout these runs so that you don't get dehydrated. I also recommend carrying an energy gel with you just in case you run into trouble (like taking a wrong turn, having to run longer than expected and getting a little woozy)."

08/01/2013 at 14:20

Sounds like starving to me!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.