RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,281 to 25,300 of 37,118 messages
08/01/2013 at 22:13
Nightmare for me tonight. Had 1.5hrs marked between work and a Governors meeting to run. Busy day and skipped lunch to make sure I got my run in but grazed on fruit (2 apples, 1 banana, grapes) and mixed nuts .... lots of them.

Parked the car up 2 miles from the coast, plan to run down then do k intervals on the promenade. Got there, 1 rep - fine, 2nd rep ... ouch sore tummy happening, 3rd rep ... Oh no! Had to abruptly stop. I adopted a run/walk strategy back to the car (now 3 miles away) and get to the facilities at work asap, after which I chucked away all the emergency rations of nuts I have hidden in my desk.

At least it's another Jantastic run logged.
08/01/2013 at 22:20

It'll have been the fruit Minni! You need to get that student to come through with the eating plan.

Personally I'm a big fan of caffeine gels. Even if it's a placebo effect I don't care, something is giving me a boost and that's enough for me.

First Jantastic run logged. In shorts no less, my winter Lido trips are making me well hard.

Thanks for the York link Sarah, looks quite tempting. I'm leaning towards Abingdon but think accommodation might be a hassle.

Oh and I'm a massive tit and forgot to claim my GNR deferral in time. Whoops.

08/01/2013 at 22:24
Simon- no worries. Have you a place? Might do Coniston 14 on 23rd instead. Did see a HM around the river Wyre on 3 rd March a while ago but can't trace it now. Skiing again on24th feb , I think .I've checked and the place I'm staying at has some treadmills so Febtastic is sorted . Yes it will be good to meet at Maddog.
Minni - I think it was Forrest Gump who said ' shit happens'. At least you got where you needed to and as you say another one logged. Ironic it happened afterbthe debate earlier today about fuelling. I noticed in Jantastic that someone has done seven runs already. Impressive or what? ( emphasis on the 'what 'I think. )
08/01/2013 at 22:27
Weeble- impressive well hard run. When does Abingdon entries open or have I missed that one too? Maybe Bro will give you her NY marathon place to replace GNR
08/01/2013 at 22:28
What a bugger Weeble. I was thinking you'd be there. I'm going to enter the ballot but waiting till after the BM to see if I have a faster pb to enter.

Shorts here just now too.

I've done Coniston 14 many times. Lovely race.

We'll catch up with Janstastic by the end of the week.
08/01/2013 at 22:29
20ld/Weeble - come to Northumberland on 27th Oct for the Castles Marathon!
Edited: 08/01/2013 at 22:30
08/01/2013 at 22:33
Minni- oops glad to hear you made it to the facilities in time! Yup sounds like fruit in large quantities and on its own is not the best fuelling strategy!
08/01/2013 at 22:34

2Old Abingdon haven't confirmed an entry date yet, but I think it was early Feb last year.

Minni what's the course like for the Castles? It sounds hilly.

08/01/2013 at 22:35
Minni - bet there are lots of hills in the Castles marathon .....it's very flat here ...but tempting . You guys are putting me to shame ..better dig out my shorts . When's the GNR ballot ? Maybe it's time I did that one . Will sign up for Coniston tomorrow
08/01/2013 at 22:42
It's actually quite flat along the coast. GNR ballot is open now.
08/01/2013 at 22:46
Minni - how much s along the coast though? Where's the rest ?
08/01/2013 at 22:49
Google it (can't do links on my phone). Run Northumberland website and there's a course map. The whole marathon route is really beautiful - but rural - but on roads.
08/01/2013 at 22:52

What a nightmare day. Left at 7:15am. Just got back. Knackered. Exercise done - zero

M.r Zuvai    pirate
08/01/2013 at 23:04

decent run tonight - had to do an errand so ran 4 mile WU, then was supposed to be 4m LT then 2 CD

unfortunately i got pacing all wrong and my 4M LT turned in to 2 x 2m at faster than LT  (6.51 , 6.55, [2 min recovery] 6.45, 6.51) It wasnt intentional but i have a tendancy to tense up when trying to run faster - after i calmed down in the recovery i was faster and much more comfortable!

lessioned that need to be learned:
1) learn to pace FFS
2) calm down!!

then to top it off my shorts developed a whole and i lost my keys en route - so i had a 40 minute wait for the lady to get home while in my shorts, t shirt and gloves!!

luckily the local pub took my in - didnt falloff the wagon despite the temptation!!

still, 10 miles in the bag and logged on jantastic!  

08/01/2013 at 23:12

Well done O4S . 2nd place seemed below your usual standards and that explains it!

Chick, Jantastic does call for advanced 9a skills.

Minni, . At least you made it back and didn't feel the need to go outside someone's front door which some kind soul has done to us.... Hoping we can get the council to clear it up.

I've done runs on very limited breakfast but that's as far as I've gone with limited fueling. There's an increased risk of picking up illnesses as your immunity is depressed, particularly if you're not refuelling afterwards.

Darren, oh no . Can you cross train? If so do please keep joining in with the thread. Kiwi and Spoon's reports are pushing me to push myself in my cross training.

Today I fitted in a quick gym session - rowing machine and strength training. Rowing machine seems fine as well, which is good as it gives me another training option, but bad as there are far too many painful sessions I know that I could try.

08/01/2013 at 23:47
Minni - Was that a Jantastic run logged, or 'runs' logged. Hehe
Edited: 08/01/2013 at 23:47
09/01/2013 at 09:50

2old - I had 2 bowls of porridge and 1 banana, with another banana on the train to Blackheath. Should've felt , but didn't... Worked a treat! 

Mr Z - I'm with you re pacing and relaxing. I can't run a given pace without Garmin. 

Cooks - Sorry, missed your earlier post. No worries re TWHM if you can't do anything. Thanks for trying.

Recovery 5 for me tonight.

09/01/2013 at 10:22

Morning gang.

I'm crap at pacing myself too. Yesterdays run was supposed to be 5m threshold. I was on the treamill and  could hardly stay on at 7:15 oace, kept having to slow it down as it felt too hard.

Then todays run was 8m with 6@mp :
8;45, 8:27,7:42,7:36,7:37,7:36,7:36,7:42. I was trying to do mp @7:45! They it felt far easier than the treadmill running yesterday. WTF??

Anyway - 3 runs done for Janfedupalreadytastic and Day 9 on the wagon

Edited: 09/01/2013 at 10:24
09/01/2013 at 10:22

Morning

Oomph-that was one hell of a fuelling session-Minni would have exploded after that and think of the cleaning up Becsa's Council would have been left to do.If only the recovery run was as easy as it sounds

Becsa-the rowing machine is mental and physical torture with no escape-good for character and muscle building. Looks like your Council Tax is going to go up

MrZ- I have no trouble controlling my speed as my body doesnt seem to want to do fast, at least thats until taper comes then I have to fight to hold it back. Great session.

Trip to Manchester in the fog today ...hope it clears as MLR planned for tonight.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
09/01/2013 at 10:46
2old - we appear to be on very similar schedule - MLR for me too tonight, ironically it will be in Manchester as well!!

Whenever I travel with work it normally messesy training up loads as there's do much travel time and all the other faf - so my solution is I'm not going to use any public transport and run everywhere instead! There's about 6 miles between the office and where I stay in manc. Hope this trial works as traffic in Manchester is a nightmare so avoiding it would be a massive bonus!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.