RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,281 to 25,300 of 36,171 messages
08/01/2013 at 14:48
chickadeee wrote (see)
Spoons. wrote (see)

I saw someone in a half marathon recently with about 10 gels stuffed in his belt.....

I'd be mortified ...   I tend to take one gel to a HM race but I never eat it. It's more like a peace of mind thing. Although I do hide it in me pocket. Wouldn't be seen dead in a HM with gels

I normally take a couple of jelly babies with me on a half....not because I need them...but because I want them....mmm jelly babies, their my favourite!

08/01/2013 at 14:51

FRC-pity you arent running Maddog but it makes sense after an ultra.Wilmslow HM is full so can you recommend another local one as a warm up for VLM-I cant do Liverpool

08/01/2013 at 15:04

Sarah - I might have been tempted with that if I hadn't just entered the Northumberland one.

Will read that link when I have a mo.

I felt I got my fuelling completely right for the TM marathon and actually took my first gel about 6m in - much sooner than I normally would, then one every 5m after that, plus one about 24m.  (I'd left the gels with a marshall so this was how it worked out on the laps).  I definitely felt the best I ever had during a marathon.

08/01/2013 at 15:17

FRC- did you really just call me a hobbit??? No, I wasn't talking about the adizeros. I wore the other trail shoes I got at the TR on the first day. I wouldn't normally wear them on long runs but it has been so wet and muddy recently... Not a good idea. I only wear adizeros for xc and absolutely love them!

2Old- very impressive TM session.

08/01/2013 at 15:18
Minni wrote (see)

I felt I got my fuelling completely right for the TM marathon and actually took my first gel about 6m in - much sooner than I normally would, then one every 5m after that, plus one about 24m.  (I'd left the gels with a marshall so this was how it worked out on the laps).  I definitely felt the best I ever had during a marathon.

Minni- it must've been the wine the previous night!

08/01/2013 at 15:35

Bro- 'a hobbit'-that made me smile.

Minni- Ive given a lot more thought to gels in my last two marathons and it seems to have made a difference. Do you use gels with caffeine? They work wonders if used a bit before a part of the race where you start to flag mentally eg hills , last few miles of race. I used one just before Birdcage walk in VLM which is where I usually start to want to walk and again before a couple of hills in the second half of Liverpool.

08/01/2013 at 20:11

I'm in the fuel before, during and after camp, I get so hungry if I run over 10miles with nothing to eat. I can do a recovery run with no food but that is just 3 miles. If I do a longer run or speed session then I always have jam and toast up to an hour before I set off. On my return I have a Nesquik strawberry milkshake. I tend to use the gels when I go on my 20mile runs only, any run over 10miles I will use sweets every 5 miles, I'm sure they help

I wont have access to the Internet from Saturday am so will need to get my 6 runs in before then for Jantastic so I will be doing a double day(Only short runs)Blooming holiday getting in the way!

Well done to everyone getting there long runs in, its on my "to do list" when I return.

I hope everyone with niggles get sorted out very soon. 

Barry- Sounds like a great speed session, that one will go on my list.

08/01/2013 at 20:49

I think i took 2 gels and a bottle of LZS before VLM last year, then 6 gels, LZS and half a pack of Clif Shot Bloks during the race, followed by 2 bottles of Rioja afterwards.

Couldn't run further than 13 without something!

8 miles from me tonight inc. strides d & d and logged in Jantastic... Thank you, good night!

08/01/2013 at 20:54
Oomp- what did you have for breakfast before all that? Good 8 miler .
Gaz- have a good break and good to see you are taking your running gear. Blooming holidays can be a nuisance.
08/01/2013 at 20:59

2old- I'm sure it was your fault and a few others on here talking about skiing that made me book up

08/01/2013 at 21:25
Gaz- not sure if you want me to apologise or you're thanking me- where are you going.? Can't beat altitude as part of a marathon training schedule.
08/01/2013 at 21:28
2old - Sorry about Wilmslow, I should of checked first. What about Blackpool half 24th feb, still open, but I can't remember what dates you couldn't race.

FRC - It will be good to meet up, racing or not at the Mad dog.

Yes still massaging with tennis ball.
08/01/2013 at 22:13
Nightmare for me tonight. Had 1.5hrs marked between work and a Governors meeting to run. Busy day and skipped lunch to make sure I got my run in but grazed on fruit (2 apples, 1 banana, grapes) and mixed nuts .... lots of them.

Parked the car up 2 miles from the coast, plan to run down then do k intervals on the promenade. Got there, 1 rep - fine, 2nd rep ... ouch sore tummy happening, 3rd rep ... Oh no! Had to abruptly stop. I adopted a run/walk strategy back to the car (now 3 miles away) and get to the facilities at work asap, after which I chucked away all the emergency rations of nuts I have hidden in my desk.

At least it's another Jantastic run logged.
08/01/2013 at 22:20

It'll have been the fruit Minni! You need to get that student to come through with the eating plan.

Personally I'm a big fan of caffeine gels. Even if it's a placebo effect I don't care, something is giving me a boost and that's enough for me.

First Jantastic run logged. In shorts no less, my winter Lido trips are making me well hard.

Thanks for the York link Sarah, looks quite tempting. I'm leaning towards Abingdon but think accommodation might be a hassle.

Oh and I'm a massive tit and forgot to claim my GNR deferral in time. Whoops.

08/01/2013 at 22:24
Simon- no worries. Have you a place? Might do Coniston 14 on 23rd instead. Did see a HM around the river Wyre on 3 rd March a while ago but can't trace it now. Skiing again on24th feb , I think .I've checked and the place I'm staying at has some treadmills so Febtastic is sorted . Yes it will be good to meet at Maddog.
Minni - I think it was Forrest Gump who said ' shit happens'. At least you got where you needed to and as you say another one logged. Ironic it happened afterbthe debate earlier today about fuelling. I noticed in Jantastic that someone has done seven runs already. Impressive or what? ( emphasis on the 'what 'I think. )
08/01/2013 at 22:27
Weeble- impressive well hard run. When does Abingdon entries open or have I missed that one too? Maybe Bro will give you her NY marathon place to replace GNR
08/01/2013 at 22:28
What a bugger Weeble. I was thinking you'd be there. I'm going to enter the ballot but waiting till after the BM to see if I have a faster pb to enter.

Shorts here just now too.

I've done Coniston 14 many times. Lovely race.

We'll catch up with Janstastic by the end of the week.
08/01/2013 at 22:29
20ld/Weeble - come to Northumberland on 27th Oct for the Castles Marathon!
Edited: 08/01/2013 at 22:30
08/01/2013 at 22:33
Minni- oops glad to hear you made it to the facilities in time! Yup sounds like fruit in large quantities and on its own is not the best fuelling strategy!
08/01/2013 at 22:34

2Old Abingdon haven't confirmed an entry date yet, but I think it was early Feb last year.

Minni what's the course like for the Castles? It sounds hilly.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.