RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,461 to 25,480 of 37,232 messages
13/01/2013 at 12:56
Afternoon all
Hangover from hell so LR put off til later .
Glyn - that must have been a pretty horrific experience but at least they chose the wrong person in you.
Barry - cracking run. The dog was not on a lead
AA -that must been an exhilarating run in these frosty conditions. Good end to a tough week
Simon- good to see you're on the mend. Hope your next one goes well
Minni- I tried a stand off with the brute and thought it was wavering then it launched at me so I did a fast sprint into the distance
13/01/2013 at 13:21

AA - nice 18 miler.

Barry - awesome run from you!

Spoons/Simon - good to hear your injuries are improving.

Glyn - how awful!

2old - scary to be confronted by an Alsatian. Dog owners really need to be responsible for thier animals. I have been bitten by a small dog which sunk it's teeth into my calf and hung on, literally had to shake it off. Also was chased by a rottweiler down a country lane once, realised it wasn't going to stop chasing, so stopped and turned around to face it and luckily it stopped too at which point the owner came running down thier drive to grab it!

Just refueled on bacon sarnies after this morning's spin session, yummy

13/01/2013 at 13:35

Weeble - Wished i'd realised that before plumping for P & D! 

Barry - Nice run.

Kiwi - Those bacon sarnies sound goooooooood.

15 from me today @ 8.27 m/m. Felt good until last 2 miles (big hills), when i think yesterday's xc caught up with me.

On the plus side, i've discovered my gel of choice for London... GU Vanilla Bean-Yum. I could just sit and eat a pack in front of the tv!!! 

13/01/2013 at 13:52

Hangover seems to be clearing up so I'm heading out for a run. Just for Janfuckthistastic really. 

I watched the GF doing a 10km XC race this morning. It included 4 river crossings, one of which was waist deep. And it was snowing. That water looked cold..... 

13/01/2013 at 14:24

Oh Dear 2old what have we started here !!!

we want to hear all your bizarre running stories now.....we're waiting bring them on

There are a few lay abouts around here only teenagers but they usually are together in quite large groups so it's always a bit intimidating, they are often hanging around the park which is where you get the usual original / abusive comments. Normally i have my mp3 player on so most of it goes un-noticed.

Never met the same lad again ( probably wouldn't recognise him, the usual hoodie type ! )....maybe he was a bit embarrased. I think it was one of those moments where he was showing off so when i turned  round and confronted him the old testosterone was mixed with a good dose of peer pressure and he felt he had to look like the big guy. I was just amazed because i know we all messed about as teenagers but if anyone confronted you then you generally backed off with your tail between your legs.

i was not expecting 2 left hooks to the face that's for sure...in hind sight they could well have had a knife or anything on them so probably pretty stupid to face it head on....kids are just not afraid or respectful. without sounding like i'm victor meldrew there is no way we'd have ever got away with that

I actually met the same bloody dog on todays run, i was on the opposite side of the road this time ....

Kiwi - Its a different story when you are faced with a rottweiler though .  I know its the correct thing to do to stop and face them but its almost the opposite of your instinct.

My Long run today 7 miles at 8:58mm pace a bit fast , felt ok slight twinge in the left glute ( buttock ) ...never quite sure what that muscle is !!!  4 runs done and 21 miles banked...look out i'm coming for you !!!

13/01/2013 at 14:50

BarryB: aw shit - redundancies suck. I worked in banking for a long time and lost count of the firing waves that we went through. Hardest bit is losing good work mates. Nice parkrun yesterday

Bro: amazing, running 20 miles after work! Not sure I'd ever be so dedicated. Enjoy those hols.

Minni: another brilliant run. You really are flying at the mo

AA: don't beat yourself up. 11 days is a darn long time if so much crap is going on. I've given up on the teetotal thing. It doesn't suit me. If I want a glass of vino or a beer, I'll have it. Live is too short. What I will curtail for the time being though is the serious boozing with the guys from work. After all, I'm a proper aflete in training!
Nice long run logged

2old: dunno how you manage to knock these long runs out on the dreadmill without dying of boredom. Hats off for resilience.

Oompa: brilliant consistent pacing at the XC

Glyn: Jeez! That was well scary. Imagine if you hadn't had those judo skills ...

I think it's an advantage if you are used to dogs. I'm not scared by them and I think they sense it. Generally the smaller, the meaner but Yorkies make good football substitutes

19 for me today - progressive run. Split into 6 @ 9mm, 6 @ 8:30 and 6@8:00 with a mile cooldown. Felt very comfortable. I was frozen solid though. We have a bitterly cold north easterly wind and there were various sleet showers coming down whilst I was out.Brrrrrrr ....   -7 is forecast for tomorrow. Expecting my pace to drop with the temps. Breathing always seems to be so much harder in the cold!

Right, off to log my 2 Jantastic runs now. Week 1 completed

13/01/2013 at 16:15

Nice 19 miler there Chick

did my 4 mile run and my calves were very tight. I'm now panicking that I need more rest but it could be in my head....

will rest and swim tomorrow

13/01/2013 at 16:16

Barry - thats rotten news, horrible when that happens.

Oompa - nice speedy xc

Spoons - nice to hear you've got our there without problems - hows the core?

Running unfuelled?  Not a chance for me.  I burn through food so fast I need to go out  fuelled, eat cereal bars on the go for anything over 10, and eat right when I get back in!

9M 'long' run for me today, supposed to be at 8.45 pace, but ended up averaging 9.27 - not bothered about that cos I did an awesome route with lots of hills and mud!  Really enjoyed it today, its great to be back up to running a decent distance.

13/01/2013 at 16:24

Well done to Mr Kiwi on his first parkrun! This is where it all starts....

Glyn that must have been really scary, good thinking to pull a judo move on the little scumbag.

2old hope you've logged that complaint.

Hope the tightness is just the usual post-run aches Spoons. XC today sounds cold, waist deep water!!

Tried out my XC spikes today at a relay race! Approximately 3K all on grass.  The spikes felt great, I'm sure they make you go faster.  Was a bit nervous about the whole relay thing, didn't want to let my team down after all!  Really enjoyed it though, I'll be back for more relay action.

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 16:25
13/01/2013 at 17:28

Great runs all round Team!

I only did 12 miles today as I have 3 x 30 mile and 1 x 20 mile race planned over the next 5 weeks and thought it might be better to err on the side of caution.  Waited until the thermometer rose to zero before heading off.  1 mile w-up, 4 miles HMP then long steep hill, 3 mile PMP, second steep hill and 2 mile cd.  Average 8.45mm but huge differences due to the hills and dodging Sunday strollers in the last 2 miles.

I have been bitten at least 6 times by various dogs - twice while running, twice while actually on the bike cycling and twice while delivering neighbourhood watch newsletters.  I was attacked by an Alsatian when I was about 3 years old and, although I have no memory of it, I have been afraid of dogs ever since.  Mr O4S really goes for dog owners who don't control their animals if I am around [Ahhhhh!!] He was once badly bitten when out running wih me and he booted the dog into the middle of the next week [it was on a lead].  Police and hospital involved, but when we happened to see the same dog [still on lead] some time later it took one look at Mr O4S and legged it in the opposite direction

2old: Log the complaint, you might not be the first!!

Spoons: fingers crossed it is just temporary.

Kiwi:  congrats to Mr Kiwi, hope your recovery continues slow and steady.

Carrot and AA:  Great results!!

Chick:  sounds chilly!!

13/01/2013 at 17:43

Double run today (3 am + 2.5 pm) to get the 7 runs logged for Jantastic.

Name and Shame list:

Spoons - 3 runs to log
Ant - 2 runs to log
AA - 2 runs to log
Sarah - 1 run to log
Simon - 1   "   "
Cooks -  1   "   "
Weeble - 1  "  "
Zuvia - 1  "   "

I know you've been all out there so don't forget to log them tomorrow.  We're on page 3 ffs.  Everyone will be laughing at us....

13/01/2013 at 17:50

3 AM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you stark raving mad?

13/01/2013 at 17:56

No, no, no, 3 miles (am) and 2.5 miles (pm).  I am mad but not raving mad!  Lol!

13/01/2013 at 18:07

Phew, i thought that you had some vampire blood in you and couldn't bear daylight?

13/01/2013 at 18:37

Logged my 2 runs. Only 67%. I'm sorry. I've let the team down. 

13/01/2013 at 19:20
Minni - Great news, I've just logged my last run and we've now gone upto the max 25%. Even better there are still 6 of our team not on 100%, so it looks like we can have 6 on the sick-injured-CNBA list and still get 100%.

Re dogs, I've had plenty chase after me in my time, but hey that's for a different forum!!!!!

The bad news is, decided to go back to wearing my normal running shoes, ( which felt really heavy) hoping to give some protection to my heal. Started to hurt after 6m, and had to stop at 6.7m. Got my OH to come and collect me and my shattered dreams Boo hoo! So back to square one, but at least I've still got 15wks til race day, and we're doing ok in Jantastic
13/01/2013 at 19:37
Well done everyone for getting out the this week. With the cold weather forecast for the coming week it might be challenging for some to get all the runs in so as they say every run counts.

I am guessing that month 1 in jantastic is she all teams should get full marks as it is about doing what you said you will do.

And I read somewhere that they only take 75% of the teams scores anyway to allow for injuries etc.

How does it work in February and March ?
13/01/2013 at 19:39

I was checking the rules for Jantastical as could n't understand why some Teams had max points but all runners had n't completed all runs.  Rules state top75% of team to count towards avg to allow for injuries so that's 16.5(16) runners for us.

Chick -  Nice long run. Felt the cold on my breath this morning when I first set off but OK after a mile or so.

13/01/2013 at 19:57

Alright crew, just back from throwing my money down the drain watching Arsenal lose yet again. 

But I did get my 16 miler in this morning. Lovely conditions down here. Nice and crisp and the sun even came out to warm my cockles. It was really a run of 2 halves. The first 13 miles were fab, and the last 3 were a complete drag! All completed though @ 8:33 m/m

Minni - bit early for a name and shame list - save that for monday night  I've logged all my runs you'll be pleased to hear. 

And still on the wagon 

13/01/2013 at 20:36
Evening all.

Well done on the double Minni.

Glad you enjoyed your XC carrot!

Spoons - hang in there. Keep stretching and running with rest days you'll be ok.

Simon - I think I have about 6 runs of 20 or over.... I normally do 6 of over 18 but feel my endurance needs a bit of work.

No running for me today, my calfs are tight after yesterday's long run. So odd painting and gardening this morning and spent another freezing afternoon watching football....

Off to log Janonlythefirstbloodyweektastic...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.