RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,501 to 25,520 of 36,178 messages
14/01/2013 at 11:34

Weeble:  fear not, the 30 milers are not being treated as races - in fact one of them is just a social run I organise every year.  The other two are 'events' but given the ground conditions I suspect survival is the best we can hope for   The 20 miler is the Reading 20 so will be taken marginally more seriously - perhaps!

14/01/2013 at 11:43

Ant - please upload that hip flexor pic.

14/01/2013 at 11:58

Minni - It's from a book - I've taken a photo and hopefully the upload works...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12058000/Hip%20exercises.jpg

14/01/2013 at 12:15

Nice running, O4S. And a lot of awfully long runs in planning

simon62w wrote (see)

The bad news is, decided to go back to wearing my normal running shoes, ( which felt really heavy) hoping to give some protection to my heal. Started to hurt after 6m, and had to stop at 6.7m. Got my OH to come and collect me and my shattered dreams Boo hoo! So back to square one, but at least I've still got 15wks til race day, and we're doing ok in Jantastic

Bugger, Simon

Minni wrote (see)
Well done everyone on a fantastic start to Jantastic. I have to admit it works. I hadn't done a double this week but did it today just to get 100%.

same here - I had a busy day on Saturday and was shattered. Without Jantastic I would have given running a miss. As it were, I convinced Mr. Chick to come with me on a slow 6 miler. It was actually rather enjoyable

right, that's 10 weeks of base done. Today is week one of P&D - starting 2 weeks early to allow for the inevitable cold that will come and get me at some point over the next few weeks. I love a schedule that starts with a rest day

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 12:23
14/01/2013 at 12:47

Bad news Simon

Thanks Ant - I'll give them a try

I'm swimming tonight

14/01/2013 at 12:53

Simon - is the heel different to the PF or do you think they are both linked?  Exercises before you get out of bed are also good.

Thanks for that Ant.  I'll give them a try too.

Glad to hear you're on the marathon bandwagon again Chick. 

O4S - have you got over the lurgy now?

Its my baby boy's birthday today.  13.   

14/01/2013 at 12:55
Ant - No golf, but a couple of tennis balls, one at home and one at work. I'll keep massaging. But heal was so sore last night, I got up about 3am to rub some iprobufen on it, not good.

Chick - Is your mara Berlin and when is it?

2old - Yes I'm on a day off for the Mad dog, so even if I can't run, I'll come down for some support.
14/01/2013 at 13:15

Barry – sorry to hear the news at Honda. I’ve been in similar situations and it’s not much fun, even if you are one of the lucky ones.

Carrot – well done on your XC relaying, sounds like a lot of fun

Simon – you definitely did the right thing stopping, fingers crossed the tennis ball / exercises from Ant help and you’re back up and running in no time at all.

2old – 92 miles in 8 days, are you mad!? Apologies but I completely missed your recommendations on the squats too. I’ve been doing loads of them for the past 5 months so fingers crossed.

Well done to everyone else on getting their long runs / Jantastic runs in too.

After the twinges / caution last week I’m pleased to say I got two runs in over the weekend. A nice gentle 5M on the road and 9.5M predominantly on trails yesterday. Both went well, at a 9 min average and with no reaction, so very happy at that. Another 26M week banked, so if I can gradually up it over the next month or so, I should be able to start thinking about some quicker stuff.

I normally run without headphones but as my garmin is in for repair, I needed to take the phone for Mapmyrun. Decided to listen to MT for the first time – did anyone else listen to last week’s? How inspiring was that Mike Tomlinson interview - absolutely amazing! Couldn’t decide whether it was the freezing temperature or the emotion making my throat hurt!   

14/01/2013 at 13:20

Great to see you back running pain-free, redders !

simon62w wrote (see)
Ant - No golf, but a couple of tennis balls, one at home and one at work. I'll keep massaging. But heal was so sore last night, I got up about 3am to rub some iprobufen on it, not good.

Chick - Is your mara Berlin and when is it?

2old - Yes I'm on a day off for the Mad dog, so even if I can't run, I'll come down for some support.

It's Hamburg. Same day as VLM: 21 April.
Do you know what causes the heal pain, simon? Could it be some bone spur or other that could be removed to ensure pain-free running going forward?

14/01/2013 at 13:54

Minni:  better than I was but not better [if that makes sense].  Docs appointment 7.30am Thursday to discuss blood test results   Still get very breathless running uphill and if I push the pace even a little, but cough has gone.  Feeling permanently tired is the worst part, most people just roll their eyes and say 'What do you expect at your age?'

14/01/2013 at 14:01

Simon- where exactly in the heel?By the sound of the way you massage it its under the foot but is there a chance of the achillees having anything to do with it? Hope you will run Maddog

Red-not mad just short of time so doing the highly risky thing of doing a lot in a short time.Good to see you are accumulating some good mileage which suggests you are well on the road to recovery. I dont do so many squats now but whenever I feel my knees starting to get sore again I revisit them. Im sure its something to do with imbalance between the quads and calf muscles

Spoons-doing the Channel again tonight?

Minni- You know when your baby is getting old when he becomes a teenager. My baby is 14!!!

Chick-10 weeks of base? That sounds like it started a week or two after your last marathon.Which P&D are you doing Im finding mine tough already

10k recovery done. It got easier after 4k but I still hate them

14/01/2013 at 14:43

2old: I started on Nov. 5 -- 4 weeks after Bremen. Mixing the 55-70 and the 70-85 mile schedule (12 weeks) and tweaking them here and there, i. e. won't do the doubles. And I will keep the Monday as my rest day. Will stick more 22 milers in. That's about it. You seem to be doing mega miles right now. I'm well impressed!

14/01/2013 at 14:49

Chick - jeez that's some mileage! What is your target? Surely you must be looking for a significant improvement.

I'm impressed by all the mileage that many of you are cranking out. Unfortunately I don't seem to have the time (can't get up at 5 for a run you see), and am worried about injury. But I suppose I get a fair bit of cross training in on the bike. (At least 60 miles per week).

Exciting times with the campaigns all getting into gear!

14/01/2013 at 15:06

I could get up at 5am if I wanted to but I can't be ar**d

14/01/2013 at 15:27

Afternoon folks!

I've come back to earth with a bump since my holiday - all a bit manic at work, but sneaked 30 minutes to have a read back. Some brilliant running going on by the team - not least the fact that we're at 100% on Jantastic . Great LSRs too - really good to get them up to that distance already.

Sorry to hear about the injuries as well - spoons / Daren / Simon - hope you can get through them soon.

Minni - that Northumberland Castles marathon sounds brilliant....I could be tempted but not making any decision about an autumn race until after VLM.

Some nighmare stories about dogs and being attacked . I'm usually OK with dogs....in fact they must like me because I've had several appear from nowhere when I'm on a run (no owner to be seen) and run alongside me. I took a collie once for about 5 miles because I knew I was going back the same way, and the road was dead quiet.

simon62w wrote (see)
Chick - Yes the steamer is on Coniston, it's our fav. Normally in Sept for my OH's b'day we go for a trip on the steamer and then to a restuarant called 'Chesters' in Skelwith Bridge afterwards. Just remember not to sit at the back,as you'll get covered in soot particles from the chimney.

2oldnever wrote (see)

Simon-Chesters do some great cakes and theres a nice walk up stream from there to a village the name of which escapes me.

I love Chesters too - the portions of cake are huge! 2old - it's Elterwater up stream on that walk.

So I managed to run every day on holiday apart from the two days we were travelling. As it turned out, OH decided he was going to do some running to, which gave me a pass to run! But I kept them all fairly short - around 6 miles, some pretty hilly ones (which I did as easy paced runs) and a couple flat which I did faster. We were really lucky with the weather - no rain . Less lucky with our car though - broken accelerator pedal on day 2, meaning having to fork out a few hundred pounds for a repair and a hire car for a few days

Yesterday I did 19 miles, averaged 8.35, which felt pretty good.

I am so far off the wagon it's untrue. Feeling a bit unhealthy and podgy after the holiday - so I really need to change that!

14/01/2013 at 15:28

Chick-Im well impressed - the consistent mileage paid dividends at Bremen. My mileage is only recent unlike yours and Im wondering if I am going to keep it going

Ant-Im experimenting with increased mileage to see if it makes a difference assuming I can keep it going . What is starting to show is that I have to slow the pace down to get it all done and I wonder-worry- if that will become the new pace I run at. Looking back my records show that for under 3.30 I ran approx 45 pw, around 3.15 approx 50pw around 3.10/12 approx 55-60pw so Im wondering what 60+ might produce.Of course its not just about the volume. Anyway my body will let me know if I can keep it up and like you Im worried about injury.

14/01/2013 at 15:50

ant/2old: it's not THAT much mileage, honest. As I said, I mix the two, so I won't be churning out regular 80+ miles (I leave that to Bro ). Most weeks will see me in the high 60s or low 70s and I will peak at 80.

Unfortunately have little natural talent so I have to put in lots of miles to get where I want to be. But I like my miles .

14/01/2013 at 15:51

whoops, forgot to say welcome back, Freemers . Great long run! Bummer about the car

14/01/2013 at 15:56
Chick - I hope it isn't some boney spur on the heel that needs some surgery, cus last year it was the other foot I had the same problem with ?
I wouldn't have minded if I was trying to bang out some mega mileage or super pace, but I thought I was taking it fairly easy.
Maybe I'll go for amputation, and fit some of those carbon fibre blades, and become 'Blade runner', but my hips would probably pack up then!
Cheerful Dave    pirate
14/01/2013 at 16:55
Freemers wrote (see)

Less lucky with our car though - broken accelerator pedal on day 2,

Have you tried taking your foot off it once in a while? 

[only applies if this was the nice new car, although if it is that one I'm impressed you can get it fixed so cheaply!]

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.