RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,501 to 25,520 of 37,355 messages
14/01/2013 at 14:49

Chick - jeez that's some mileage! What is your target? Surely you must be looking for a significant improvement.

I'm impressed by all the mileage that many of you are cranking out. Unfortunately I don't seem to have the time (can't get up at 5 for a run you see), and am worried about injury. But I suppose I get a fair bit of cross training in on the bike. (At least 60 miles per week).

Exciting times with the campaigns all getting into gear!

14/01/2013 at 15:06

I could get up at 5am if I wanted to but I can't be ar**d

14/01/2013 at 15:27

Afternoon folks!

I've come back to earth with a bump since my holiday - all a bit manic at work, but sneaked 30 minutes to have a read back. Some brilliant running going on by the team - not least the fact that we're at 100% on Jantastic . Great LSRs too - really good to get them up to that distance already.

Sorry to hear about the injuries as well - spoons / Daren / Simon - hope you can get through them soon.

Minni - that Northumberland Castles marathon sounds brilliant....I could be tempted but not making any decision about an autumn race until after VLM.

Some nighmare stories about dogs and being attacked . I'm usually OK with dogs....in fact they must like me because I've had several appear from nowhere when I'm on a run (no owner to be seen) and run alongside me. I took a collie once for about 5 miles because I knew I was going back the same way, and the road was dead quiet.

simon62w wrote (see)
Chick - Yes the steamer is on Coniston, it's our fav. Normally in Sept for my OH's b'day we go for a trip on the steamer and then to a restuarant called 'Chesters' in Skelwith Bridge afterwards. Just remember not to sit at the back,as you'll get covered in soot particles from the chimney.

2oldnever wrote (see)

Simon-Chesters do some great cakes and theres a nice walk up stream from there to a village the name of which escapes me.

I love Chesters too - the portions of cake are huge! 2old - it's Elterwater up stream on that walk.

So I managed to run every day on holiday apart from the two days we were travelling. As it turned out, OH decided he was going to do some running to, which gave me a pass to run! But I kept them all fairly short - around 6 miles, some pretty hilly ones (which I did as easy paced runs) and a couple flat which I did faster. We were really lucky with the weather - no rain . Less lucky with our car though - broken accelerator pedal on day 2, meaning having to fork out a few hundred pounds for a repair and a hire car for a few days

Yesterday I did 19 miles, averaged 8.35, which felt pretty good.

I am so far off the wagon it's untrue. Feeling a bit unhealthy and podgy after the holiday - so I really need to change that!

14/01/2013 at 15:28

Chick-Im well impressed - the consistent mileage paid dividends at Bremen. My mileage is only recent unlike yours and Im wondering if I am going to keep it going

Ant-Im experimenting with increased mileage to see if it makes a difference assuming I can keep it going . What is starting to show is that I have to slow the pace down to get it all done and I wonder-worry- if that will become the new pace I run at. Looking back my records show that for under 3.30 I ran approx 45 pw, around 3.15 approx 50pw around 3.10/12 approx 55-60pw so Im wondering what 60+ might produce.Of course its not just about the volume. Anyway my body will let me know if I can keep it up and like you Im worried about injury.

14/01/2013 at 15:50

ant/2old: it's not THAT much mileage, honest. As I said, I mix the two, so I won't be churning out regular 80+ miles (I leave that to Bro ). Most weeks will see me in the high 60s or low 70s and I will peak at 80.

Unfortunately have little natural talent so I have to put in lots of miles to get where I want to be. But I like my miles .

14/01/2013 at 15:51

whoops, forgot to say welcome back, Freemers . Great long run! Bummer about the car

14/01/2013 at 15:56
Chick - I hope it isn't some boney spur on the heel that needs some surgery, cus last year it was the other foot I had the same problem with ?
I wouldn't have minded if I was trying to bang out some mega mileage or super pace, but I thought I was taking it fairly easy.
Maybe I'll go for amputation, and fit some of those carbon fibre blades, and become 'Blade runner', but my hips would probably pack up then!
Cheerful Dave    pirate
14/01/2013 at 16:55
Freemers wrote (see)

Less lucky with our car though - broken accelerator pedal on day 2,

Have you tried taking your foot off it once in a while? 

[only applies if this was the nice new car, although if it is that one I'm impressed you can get it fixed so cheaply!]

14/01/2013 at 17:01

CD - no, not that one (no way am I letting the dog in that , plus he'd be very squashed!). It was the Passat. They said it wasn't covered by the warranty as they think a stone got caught in the pedal so it jammed and then sheered off when OH put his foot down (yes, it was him not me what done it )

M.r Zuvai    pirate
14/01/2013 at 17:15

Evening all,

Hope you're all well and fit! Some smashing runs over the weekend!  

I had to cut my long run short as i developed a very accute pain in my anterior tibilis  Never had any issues there before -so i cut the run short at 13 miles, iced and massaged for the evening - felt much better this morning so hoping a few days off with swimming and cycling before easing back should prevent it turning into anything! (fingers crossed)

to make up for the whole tapir penis thing here's a cute bunny falling over after sneezing! - that should purge the horror!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/0fe558b6f9df532356fdfa8584219553/tumblr_mg7y8oF0sH1ql2603o1_250.gif

keep strong and fit everyone!

14/01/2013 at 17:35
Redders - I haven't listened to that but will. I've more than once found myself running along with a lump in my throat.,

Freemers. Great to have you back! I've already entered the Castles and it would be great if you chose it too!
14/01/2013 at 17:36
Z - so funny! How do you put videos on?
14/01/2013 at 18:57
Z - sorry about your LR. At least your IM training can kick in so there won't be any fitness loss. You're bit of a softy at heart - stupid rabbits

Thought about a double tonight but CNBA . Still will have to find a fourth run in the next two days though
14/01/2013 at 20:01
Minni wote - Youths/gangs - again this is never a problem here. I know all of them, more or less, by either name or sight and always make a point shouting hi.

So Minni I forgot to ask, do you know all the 'scallies' by name cus they're all ex's?

Mr Z - Another nice gif vid.
14/01/2013 at 20:48
Simon- heh heh
14/01/2013 at 21:17

Welcome back Freemers. Nice long run as ever.

mr Z - love the video. Reminds me of some of the bunnies I ate on holiday in France last year....

lots of snow here. I didn't go swimming as it took me 2 hours to drive home in the snow did my wobble board and physio exercises instead 

14/01/2013 at 21:39

Well done still getting out for your 20 2old, takes some determination to go out in grim conditions with the remains of a hangover.

Weeble - do it when you get settled, I wish I'd joined sooner!

Poor bunny! Hope the x-training sorts out you anterior thingumy Zuvai (what's that then?)

M.r Zuvai    pirate
14/01/2013 at 22:42

evening all, 

nice speedy cycle then 2500 meter swim, including 4* 100 at 85 sec  - i love running intervals HATE swimming intervals. 

Spoons - that made laugh a lot! my sister had a bunny once that i persuiaded her to name Stuart! - so it would eventually be shortened to Stu!! - i was a horrible brother  

Simon -  you're a brave man 

Carrot - its the muscle on the front of your shin - when inflamed a lot its often mistaken for shin splints  - it feels much better today 

haha - while the cross training may be ideal for injury prevention, it can bring problems of its own; as i entered the changing rooms i was coming down the stairs, the combination of wet and plastic meant i slipped and fell down half a flight of stairs! i was absolutely fine, but i was so shocked to slipped that i let out the most theatrical girly scream!! Cue three half  dressed men coming running out to see if i was ok! 

14/01/2013 at 23:49
Zuvai - AT - bugger. Girly scream - v funny, hope no lasting damage.

Simon - likewise with the heel

Ant - thanks for the PF tips - my OH is having probs with that so will pass it on

O4S - hope test results will shed some light

Spoons - sorry the snow made you miss your swim - it made my train journey to scotland today very picturesque, until I got further north and there wasn't any! Upside down weather.

Going to try and do intervals without a track tomorrow - I've worked out how to program the session into the garmin and am heading to a flat railway line - hope it works! Got the best recovery planned - taking my mum to a spa for a few days (minni - you want your kids to get older so they can start treating you - start planting the seeds now!)
15/01/2013 at 00:10
Hello everyone Just a quick check in, will have to read back later. Having an absolute blast. Thanks to the jet lag I'm up by 3:30 every morning so managing to get my runs in before MrB wakes up (he sleeps like a log regardless of the time zone). Between running, boarding all day, drinking (a bit) and not sleeping much I wonder how long I'm going to last! 6m planned for tomorrow at 5:30 exploring Whistler's trails and hoping the bears are dormant
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.