RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,541 to 25,560 of 37,467 messages
15/01/2013 at 20:26
I heard in the news it was gridlock in Norwich Spoons.

Lots of snow here here too, which has now frozen. Too icy for intervals so did 3 outside then hopped on the TM for mile intervals.
15/01/2013 at 21:40

A theatrical girly scream Zuvai, hilarious!  Hope the men had some undercrackers on.... and hope you've recovered.

5 x 1000m completed tonight, -5 at the snow covered track.  Good excuse to slow down in advance of Sunday's race.  Handy really as my rep times were shocking  

16/01/2013 at 00:00
Some great runs and girly screams going on as usual.
As 2old has said, no snow over our side of the country (west), in fact there was some nice sunshine breaking thru this afternoon. It looked perfect for a run, but I was stuck at work, and I'm on the sick bench, mind you it would of been good for bike ride as an alternative.

DD - Enjoy the powder and freshly groomed pistes.
16/01/2013 at 07:14

Morning

-7 here this morning  more snow coming this afternoon. Let's just hope I don't have to spend another 5 hours commuting today 

16/01/2013 at 07:19
-9 here and not looking too good for the BM at the weekend.
16/01/2013 at 09:14

Morning....

Minni - Have you had any reports about what the conditions are like in York for the BM? It'll be a bugger if the conditions stop you going for that PB, but I guess there is nothing you can do about it. Hopefully they won't need to cancel it like they did with the Norwich HM a few years ago.  Carrot - is that the race you're doing too? And Sarah is down for that as well I think?

2old - excellent work for Jantastic  I'm only 1 down, 4 to go....but will tick another one off later today.

Spoons - hope today's journey to work is better! 

16/01/2013 at 10:15

Morning all

Lovely sunny frosty day here and still no snow. You guys in the East are bearing the brunt of it. Hope the conditions improve ready for the weekend racers.

Free-my body is at its limit and I feel exhausted after an intensive 10 days. Hopefully I can run today and then recover ? whilst Im skiing from tomorrow. You'll have no trouble racking up the other 4 and wont feel like cr@p as I do.

Simon-any progress with that annoying injury?

M.r Zuvai    pirate
16/01/2013 at 10:15

Morning all,

haha - cheers everyone for asking - absolutelty fine; no damage other than a slightly bruised ego!

i was a little naughty last night - after icing, stretching, rollering and swimming for two days i decided to go for a run to test out the shin. No pain at all - and felt good enough to do the scheduled session.

so 10 miles in all list night but started slow +10m/m for the first 3, then got progressively quicker with a last 5 of; 7:37, 07:17, 07:02, 06:57; 06:44

much more consistent than my last LT attempt, legs feel great this morning too!

Sorry thatthe snow is hampering so many of the others  

Hope our skiers are having a ball!

M.r Zuvai    pirate
16/01/2013 at 10:17

2old - your last two weeks have been mightly impressive - no wonder you're knackered! at least you've got some down time coming up!

16/01/2013 at 10:51

Minni - I put the route of the Northumberland Castles marathon on gmap to get the elevation profile - it's net downhill . And if the wind is blowing south to north it would be fantastic!  Now very tempted....

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5789794

16/01/2013 at 10:56

MrZ-I need the down time. Your intervals were fast . Im thinking that I might reduce the running workload a bit and do some swimming and spinning instead. Then again I might feel more up for it next week.Its still early days

Free- It does look tempting---re the wind-is that a very big if?

16/01/2013 at 11:54

Morning all.

The weather out east looks bad. Hope it doesn't afftect you all to much.

Mr Z - great 10 mile effort there and good news re shins.

Hope weather is ok at weekend for the girls doing the BM. Mr AA is heading to Newcastle with some friends to watch Newcastle v Reading on Saturday. They need to go for 2 nights... Looks like snow for us Friday night/Saturday. I'm hoping to get my long one in on Friday...

Bit of a Minni special for me today. 7 miles with 50 mins of 5 mins @7:06 pace and 5 mins @7:47 pace.

16/01/2013 at 12:35

Freemers - I'm going to do some of my long runs on the course so can report back.  From mind it is quite flat although a bit bumpy towards the end and there's a bit of a climb in the last mile but this is then followed by a downhill and flat into the finish.   The good thing is my two marathon training chums (who will both be in London too) have also entered so between us we can provide support along the whole course meaning we don't need to worry about carrying anything.

Slight concern slipping in about the BM on Sunday.

Got up at 4:40 this morning to do 10 on the TM but farted around till after 5 then only managed 10k before I lost the will to live.  Will do the other 4 tonight and log another two runs for Jantastic.

16/01/2013 at 13:13
Freemers wrote (see)

Spoons - hope today's journey to work is better! 

Nope - just over 2 hours. It was -11.5 at 9:30 this morning when I arrived at work....

I'm getting fed up with this

16/01/2013 at 13:40
2old - Re heel injury, I'm going to try a v.gentle mile on the TM in the gym later, but still very sore. Will probably do bike, or x-trainer cardio, just to keep heart rate up.

Spoons - You need to get up at stupid o'clock like Minni. Commute to work and even with delays, arrive too early, so then you've got time for a run before work. Tick off Jantastic, and hopefully arrive less stressed.
16/01/2013 at 15:04

Simon-good luck with the test run. Dont underestimate the value of X training especially a hard spinning session though as a cyclist youll have to take it outside your comfort zone

AA-theweather is causing some real headaches for some trying to run-at least not for us over here and even then I tend to get on the TM in the first month or so of the schedule

Spoons-at least its giving you mental strength if nothing else

Minni-do you think familiarity with a course helps on race day? Personally I think it does especially when you know an easier section is about to follow a tough part. Shame you didnt stick at the TM --cant beat it for developing mental toughness even if it is mind numbingly boring

Done my final Jantastic for the week MLR 21k on the TM at 8mm...quite enjoyed watching an old Ealing comedy film 'Passport To Pimlico' with Stanley Holloway and Margaret Rutherford when doing it...I am too old...

I am not sure if I will run again this week

Edited: 16/01/2013 at 15:05
Dubai Dave    pirate
16/01/2013 at 15:29
-23C today, but the sun is shining and the powder is glistening. Next skiing holiday I'm putting mrs DD on a fitness program
M.r Zuvai    pirate
16/01/2013 at 15:32

2old- i love the positive way you look at the world!  When you off on holiday? Enjoy the running break and the work break!
RE: you wanting to do more swimming and spinning - there is nothing better for my legs at recovery than a good swim. Even if i do the whole set with a pull-bouythe gentle pushing off and cool water is perfect for putting some life back into the legs

16/01/2013 at 15:57

DD- Wow -23 thats a big drop from Dubai.That could be 50-60 difference!! My OH has come to the view that on a skiing holiday in future its 2 mornings ski and a day off rota.Im working on 2 days off for her Hope you are staying off piste

MrZ-got to be positive its only running...only? Long weekend starting early tomorrow-early = Minni start running time. Swimming recovery is probably what Im missing as that did figure quite significantly before my October marathon-and I recently invested in a pull-bouy too.

16/01/2013 at 16:16

V.stressful day at work with a major crisis on one of my clients - not caused by me but I have to fix it and fight the fires. Missed my run, missed lunch (just grabbed some chocolate to make up!)....not happy

To take my mind of it while I wait for my colleagues to pull their fingers out I have gone and entered the Northumberland Castles . I knew my resolve not to do anything until after the VLM wouldn't last - I just love the idea of that route and parts of it will be stunning. Got the £2 discount for being one of the first 100 entries as well. Minni - I didn't bother with bus tickets to/from the start, hopefully you can help me out with a lift!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.