RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,601 to 25,620 of 37,474 messages
17/01/2013 at 15:53
DD - think you should take a leaf out of bro's book. Just lazy!!

2old is probably still stuck on the Tarmac!
17/01/2013 at 17:02

Out for a run at lunchtime - absolutely perfect running weather. Sun was shining, no wind to speak of, around 0 degrees and no snow or ice to contend with. 6 miles knocked out. Hopefully will be back up to 40 again this week, which is where I was when the achilles played up. Ankle is still a little stiff at times, but I think I am over the worst of it now. 

FRC - your weekend sounds mental. I hope you survive!

AA, Barry & Freemers - the dreadmill is calling. I think I will have to dig out some Audible books.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
17/01/2013 at 18:04
M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

2old- i love the positive way you look at the world!  When you off on holiday? Enjoy the running break and the work break!
RE: you wanting to do more swimming and spinning - there is nothing better for my legs at recovery than a good swim. Even if i do the whole set with a pull-bouythe gentle pushing off and cool water is perfect for putting some life back into the legs

it appears there is some science behind my belief that swimming aids recovery;

17/01/2013 at 20:01
It's saying on the Brass Monkey website that they're going to make a decision on Saturday lunch time but by the forecast in doubtful I'll get there.
17/01/2013 at 20:46

Stupid weather

Great work still getting your runs in Bro, are you sure you haven't entered Brass Monkey this weekend?.....

Are the roads bad up your way Minni? I've not had any hassle yet this week, we've had a bit of snow here but some areas even within a 5 mile radius have had much more.  I hope the forecasters are just covering their backs by saying it's going to be really bad. I want to race on Sunday

I ran outside Monday and Tuesday.  My hands were agony warming up around the track on Tuesday even though I had gloves on - after a few laps warm up I couldn't take it any more and ran inside to warm them up on the little heater.  So tonight I have been a fair weather runner and hit the treadmill.  Warm hands all night!  I was unsure of how long to run for - I was doing a reduced mileage version of my planned run - as I don't know if I'm tapering or not for a half marathon that may or may not be going ahead.

17/01/2013 at 21:03
They're not so bad today Carrot bug the moors will be bad over the weekend by the sound of things. I want to race too!

Logged my 5th run of the week on Janwe'renearthetoptastic and AA is right, we're settling into a very nice position there. Another week or so and we should have secured top place.

Well ahead of the 3:15 lot and carter's team too. (NB it is not a competition....)
17/01/2013 at 21:26

Not a competition?

I got out for a run tonight. 4 miles on the beach with head torch. I figured the beach would be safe. The sand has got snow on it which is very rare. Quite good fun actually but my left calf and shin were playing up so I was limping by the end. Think I need a massage as the foam roller was agony afterwards

17/01/2013 at 21:43

Some lovely pictures on here of the snow....it looks so gorgeous...but really its a complete pain in the back side!

I do hope BM is still on, fingers crossed we had our share of snow on monday

hope your plane turned up 2old

old4speed wrote (see)

If my 30 mile event is cancelled on Sunday, or we can't get to it, there is no chance I will be doing 30 on a treadmill.  Luckily my last run for Jantastic is scheduled for tonight .

Had a sports massage yesterday and the 29 year old masseur said I had the muscles of a person in their 20's.  I was just waiting for him to say 'Shame about the Face', but luckily for him he didn't..........................

A fabulous compliment you should be proud.

17/01/2013 at 21:44

Id completley forgotten about jantastic...thankyou for reminding me...2 runs logged. Does it matter if you do more than your aim?

17/01/2013 at 21:50
FRC - Enjoy your 20 miler, Hebden bridge is really nice, not that you will get much time to see it.
Here's the Chesters website. There's a great shop there as well, selling everything from niknacs to granite work tops, from the local mines.
http://www.chestersbytheriver.co.uk/

Carot - Most running gloves tend to be pretty thin, but if you get some fleece gloves, it may keep your hands warmer.
17/01/2013 at 21:50

Hill reps tonight - ten of them.  After the first couple I decided I couldn't possibly do them all but then managed to do just that - really consistent with only 2 seconds variation across all 10 reps.  We are just on the end of the red snow warning area for tomorrow so glad I have my 4 runs logged.  Still don't know what will happen about Sunday, but it could well be the slowest 30 miles I have ever done - at least snow is more fun to run in than mud!!

M.r Zuvai    pirate
17/01/2013 at 22:10

i have a foam rollering question:if you have an area thats particulary sensitive is it better to ease of that bit or is it worth persevering with it even though it hurts to work through whats causing the pain?

for example, my left ITB is pretty normal working through the roller but the right ITB is pure agony when rolled. Should i give the right one more attention?

17/01/2013 at 22:12

This will be interesting as I was wondering the same thing. Except it's my LEFT ITB that's agony...

17/01/2013 at 22:28
I stop immediately if something hurts!

Carrot - I find running gloves aren't warm enough in really cold weather and I opt for those black knitted ones that cost 99p in cheap shops. They're really wa and ideal for races because you can just chuck them away. I bought 12 pairs at the beginning of the winter so I can always find one! (The kids wear them too)

I'm feeling sick and praying its the overdose of kippers I had earlier and not the dreaded lurgy starting.
17/01/2013 at 22:40

Congratulations on the Janatthetopolous position even if it isn't a competition . A few teams will probably struggle in this weather.

Snow looks beautiful although I'm not looking forward to it as I've got a work trip on Monday which might turn into a nightmare.

Hope 2Old made it and that everyone else is having fun on their skiing holidays.

Mr Z, when my pilates teacher has us on the rollers she says that if you find a sore spot to hold there for a bit until it eases.

This weeks a bit of a nightmare in that I seem to have early meetings, lunchtime meetings and things on after work . So far I've managed to fit in one yoga class, a spinning class, lunchtime gym and one cycle to and from work. Not great but better than nothing. Tried a treadmill run and managed 4 mins before my knee started hurting . Next week is looking pretty difficult as well.

17/01/2013 at 23:04
Some nice running going on, and some nice tapering DD! (I definitely mean tapering and not tapiring...)

Zuvai, Spoons - I always find foam rollering sore - I guess if you know how it usually feels for you and its much more painful, that's not good - I'd be stopping.

Back from spa, and I don't think I've ever been cleaner. I reckon I don't need to wash for at least 2 months. Still not much snow in scotland - just enough to make jumping out the hot tub to roll in it worth it.

Took advantage of the well stocked but completely unused gym and pool - got a couple of ergo sessions, two 3km swims and my tempo run (7M with 5@7.39). Did the run on a treadmill, the pace felt easy. Is that because its easier on a TM or should I be thinking about revising my f*rman tempo paces?

However, my intervals on Tue with pre programmed garmin were rotten - found it really hard not knowing how far I had to go, pacing was all over the shop and wildly missed targets. Can't wait to be back on the track.

Those of you with snow - before you abandon all hope and head for the TM, give the snow run a go - I did a 18M and 21M in snow last year and they were some of my favourite runs
17/01/2013 at 23:33
KFC - Re treadmill, I find running on gym TM's which tend to be top of the range ones easier. If you find it easy, maybe add 1-3 degrees of incline.
Here's some TM sessions if you get bored....
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/5-treadmill-workouts-in-an-hour-or-less?page=1
17/01/2013 at 23:37
kfc. wrote (see)
Those of you with snow - before you abandon all hope and head for the TM, give the snow run a go - I did a 18M and 21M in snow last year and they were some of my favourite runs

Hardcore kfc. I like it. Yeah running on fresh snow on trails is great, but darn icy compacted snow on pavements is a nightmare. I do have a pair of Kandia which would do the trick in fresher snow.

Foam rollering - yep its a tricky decision to make, because it is meant to hurt  so you need to work out whether it is a knot or an injury. And it can really hurt!

Best of luck to the racers actually getting to race. Blinking sod's law timing this weather 

18/01/2013 at 06:13
Foam rollering - I agree with Ant, if its just tight keep rollering or maybe self massage. If its an injury, get the ice out for a bit.
18/01/2013 at 09:09

More snow overnight here - off to the TM again later. As I missed my run the other day I have no more days in hand for Jantastic and have 3 more to do, so need to run each day. I'll wait until Sunday before I make any decision about whether to do the 20 miles outdoors. I don't really have any off road options, so I need to see how slippy the roads are by then really.

I often double up on gloves when it's really cold, and even then it doesn't always help. I've been known to wear ski mittens to run in really cold weather - luckily round my way I don't see too many people out so no one looks at me oddly!

Fingers crossed for racers this weekend. But be safe and sensible - as they keep banging on about it on the weather forecasts, only travel if it's absolutely necessary

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.