RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,661 to 25,680 of 36,308 messages
19/01/2013 at 12:48

Well done for getting out there Chick

i've bought a turbo trainer. Just done 30 minutes. It's hard work!

19/01/2013 at 12:49

Chick - how awful, glad you're feeling better now!

AA - 18 miles on the treadmill, that is dedication pure.  I tried a 4 mile run at the gym last month and am ashamed to admit I lasted 2 miles, was too hot running inside and soo bored!

Lol about that Easyjet flight!  Seriously Easyjet are a bunch of thieving so and sos - we had to change our flights from New Years as our passports were in the homeoffice and we couldn't fly and it cost us £35 per person per flight to change - a total of £140 to change the dates of a flight! Have vowed never to fly with them again!  Ok rant over now

Flagging my run today, as we just have ice outside, no nice fluffy snow and I don't fancy slipping over.... sadly am feeling a little bit glad this week not to be marathon training. I did go out for 3 miles on Wednesday and felt great, that was before the paths got too badly iced up. Oh well, got spin to look forward to tomorrow.

Take care on those long runs guys.

19/01/2013 at 13:20

AA -  Good effort on the tready. i can empathise see below.

Chick - Well done for getting out so soon after the lurgy but look after youself.

I found Easyjet OK going to Florence(only time i've flown with them) they even checked in a bag free of charge, but I think that's because most people carry bags on and the overheads are rammed.

Checked the conditions out this morning when walking the dog but way too slippy so fortunately gym was open and 18 miles on the tready in 2hours 20, did n't find it too bad, just switch off and don't look at the distance completed until the albums finished on the MP3 player by which time I'm over halfway, last 5 at MP.

Edited: 19/01/2013 at 14:05
19/01/2013 at 14:40
Barry - Well done on 18m on the TM. It looks like 2old will have some competition from you and Chick for lsr's on the TM.

Kiwi - I won't tell you how much my company (Ba) charge to change a date/time/route. You would of been charged ??240 for your family, and that's for domestic and European flights, it's ??100pp longhaul I'm sorry to say. But that's the way the industry is going nowadays .
19/01/2013 at 17:49

If any of you think Easyjet are thieving so and sos don't ever contemplate flying Ryanair!!  Actually I fly very frequently on Easyjet and have rarely been late, never cancelled and for under £50 return to Belfast I won't complain.

Our Ultra, meant to be tomorrow, has been cancelled so we got out and did 19 miles in the snow and ice.  I would hesitate to say it was a run - more of a combination run / walk / slide and at one point crawl [where I couldn't get any grip at all on a minor road going uphill].  Bliddy cold............................Will try to do more than 11 miles tomorrow so at least overall I will have exceeded the ultra mileage.

Fortunately I don't have access to a treadmill - I just can't bear the heat and stuffiness of running in a gym, even if they do have air con.

19/01/2013 at 18:15
sorry to hear that your run has been cancelled as well O4S but least you managed to get out there today. By the time I found out that my race was cancelled I was in the middle of town and now its too late to try to get a run in. This weather has completely messed up my week!

Was it ryanair that was thinking about charging people to go to the toilet and were they thinking about removing seats, having everyone standing instead so they could fit more people on the plane?
19/01/2013 at 18:37

Thats the one Sarah!!  On the odd occasion that they do manage to arrive on time they play a fanfare and announce 'Another ontime arrival with Ryanair' whereupon the passengers are supposed to applaud loudly [I think].  Luckily they abandoned the Belfast route when Belfast airport refused to pay for the privelege of having them annoy all their customers..

I didn't realise BM had also been cancelled - perhaps Minni arranged it so that you couldn't beat her

19/01/2013 at 19:39

O4S   I'd already decided to claim I was blocked in and couldn't make it, just in case.....

I decided on a duration run today considering the weather.  3 hours off road.  The snow was beautiful but knee deep in places.  Ended up with 17 miles and now have a snow burnt face!

19/01/2013 at 19:45
lol,

17 miles in knee high snow is a great achievement....wish i had that under my belt.
19/01/2013 at 20:15
AA - I'm assuming Mr AA's travel hassle was well worth it...

O4S - couldn't agree more about Ryanair/Easyjet. We go away on football tour each year and don't even consider Ryanair routes any more, they're a total disgrace! Easyjet last year let us change a couple of places for no charge and I've never had a problem with them either.

Sorry to hear all the races are off tomorrow. I'm also with you O4S in rather attempting a crazy snow/icy run rather than head to the gym. Much kudos to you Barry!

Carrot - I'm not 100% right but getting there. Aim is to attempt a bit of speed work second week of Feb so still taking it all slowly and just trying to enjoy it with no pressure.
19/01/2013 at 20:18
Oops, totally missed your 17M in those conditions Minni - thats a very good effort, well done!
19/01/2013 at 21:11

I've just walked to the Chinese takeaway. Nearly slipped over several times. The road and pavement is like a sheet of glass. No way could you run on it.

never flown easy jet myself. The ex wife was scared of flying so all our holidays were in England.

19/01/2013 at 21:23
O4S - Nice little 19miler warm up for you, didn't you have time for a 50 mile bike ride as well?

Minni - Your 17m in the snow sounds wonderful.

I bet 2old will be made up with our 5-0 win over Daren's team today, and Reading managed to hang on for the win, so Mr AA should be happy.

Sarah - It's a pain when your plans get changed at the last minute, any plans for tomorrow?
19/01/2013 at 21:47

Simon - running / walking is tricky, cycling would be suicidal!!

19/01/2013 at 23:08
O4S - I thought you might have some of those clip-on ice grippers, like Yaktraks or something?
20/01/2013 at 00:20
Sorry to hear the races have been cancelled. Well done to everyone for getting the sessions done in the snow as well as some monstrous TM runs... I just couldn't do it! This is the first time I've used TM for years and I must say I absolutely hate it. I can just about manage a speed session but 18m... yuk!
Are the airports ok in the uk by the way? I wouldnt really mind getting stranded here for a bit longer...
20/01/2013 at 08:09

I had entered Folksworth 15 today (cancelled) although I'm not sure if I was fit enough to run it. With Brass Monkey cancelled too, are they rescheduling, refunding, forgetting about it and keeping the cash?

20/01/2013 at 08:16
Morning all.

There's no talk of BM being either rescheduled or refunded. However, anyone entered can go to the racecourse today and collect their t-shirt. I'm just setting off now!!! It's a tricky one because they've obviously spent a lot of the money already. My suggestion would be for something like the BM, that fills quickly, offer guaranteed entry next year at half the price.
20/01/2013 at 08:55

Turn up and pick up your t-shirt? 

Your idea sounds sensible. Folksworth are trying to reschedule. 

20/01/2013 at 09:48

Winter Tanners are offering partial refunds - it only cost £4!!  They can't reschedule as their next 30 mile event is only 3 weeks away.  Trouble is 90% of people entered online so about £1 of the entry fee has already been taken by the online company, and even more would go if they had to refund.

Just getting the waterproof socks out for another epic...................

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.