RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,661 to 25,680 of 37,583 messages
19/01/2013 at 21:23
O4S - Nice little 19miler warm up for you, didn't you have time for a 50 mile bike ride as well?

Minni - Your 17m in the snow sounds wonderful.

I bet 2old will be made up with our 5-0 win over Daren's team today, and Reading managed to hang on for the win, so Mr AA should be happy.

Sarah - It's a pain when your plans get changed at the last minute, any plans for tomorrow?
19/01/2013 at 21:47

Simon - running / walking is tricky, cycling would be suicidal!!

19/01/2013 at 23:08
O4S - I thought you might have some of those clip-on ice grippers, like Yaktraks or something?
20/01/2013 at 00:20
Sorry to hear the races have been cancelled. Well done to everyone for getting the sessions done in the snow as well as some monstrous TM runs... I just couldn't do it! This is the first time I've used TM for years and I must say I absolutely hate it. I can just about manage a speed session but 18m... yuk!
Are the airports ok in the uk by the way? I wouldnt really mind getting stranded here for a bit longer...
20/01/2013 at 08:09

I had entered Folksworth 15 today (cancelled) although I'm not sure if I was fit enough to run it. With Brass Monkey cancelled too, are they rescheduling, refunding, forgetting about it and keeping the cash?

20/01/2013 at 08:16
Morning all.

There's no talk of BM being either rescheduled or refunded. However, anyone entered can go to the racecourse today and collect their t-shirt. I'm just setting off now!!! It's a tricky one because they've obviously spent a lot of the money already. My suggestion would be for something like the BM, that fills quickly, offer guaranteed entry next year at half the price.
20/01/2013 at 08:55

Turn up and pick up your t-shirt? 

Your idea sounds sensible. Folksworth are trying to reschedule. 

20/01/2013 at 09:48

Winter Tanners are offering partial refunds - it only cost £4!!  They can't reschedule as their next 30 mile event is only 3 weeks away.  Trouble is 90% of people entered online so about £1 of the entry fee has already been taken by the online company, and even more would go if they had to refund.

Just getting the waterproof socks out for another epic...................

20/01/2013 at 10:22

So they might offer a £1 refund?

20/01/2013 at 11:15
Bro - I'm not in work at moment, but airports aren't closed I'm afraid. Heathrow running with 20% cancellations, so you just have to come home!
20/01/2013 at 11:27
When Watford was cancelled last year if you emailed them your size they sent you the t-shirt. No refund, but thought that was a decent compromise as they incur most of the costs upfront. Is a shame but a bit of an occupational hazard at this time of year I guess.

Just back from 12 in arctic conditions. Started snowing about 10 mins before I left and got very bad about 20 in, but in some ways it was quite helpful. The mile out of town was treacherous, with icy paths and dangerous drivers, but once out into the countryside was really nice and crunchy underfoot (ideal conditions for someone who is supposed to stay off of concrete!). And it snowed so heavily that by the time I got back, the ice was completely covered with fresh snow so ten times easier to negotiate. Mrs R said she saw a runner go flying outside our front door though, so guess I was a bit lucky. Have no intention to set foot outside again all day, unless Little R demands a snowman of course.

Safe running to all those braving the conditions.
20/01/2013 at 11:32

Awe, sorry to hear people's races have been cancelled

Well done Minni and Red for your runs in the snow!  Hope everyone else has kept safe in those slippery conditions.

Well the long awaited snow fall has finally reached Essex, it was hit or miss whether we would go to spin this mornign, but we phoned the gym and made sure it was still on then off we went.  The roads were okish, down to single lanes to follow in other peoples tracks - was amazed how busy the gym was, spin class full as normal.  Didn't hang around after to do core/weights but glad we ventured out as who knows what the roads will be like tomorrow?!

20/01/2013 at 12:05

Some impressive long snowy runs going on. I have to confess I wimped out yesterday as it was so icy, but there's lots of fresh snow falling now and that's normally easier to run on.

20/01/2013 at 12:13

wow, seems the weather is a lot worse for you lot for once! We have -8, a bitterly cold wind and no snow.

Sorry about all those cancelled races and huge well dones getting out in those conditions / braving the treadmill for hours.

Only one more run to go today to make the full 6 for Jantastic. Still feeling shite

simon62w wrote (see)
Barry - Well done on 18m on the TM. It looks like 2old will have some competition from you and Chick for lsr's on the TM.

Simon, you are confusing me with AA!  I don't do treadmills. Ever . They are an instrument of the devil . Could never face the boredom of being stuck on one for hours.

20/01/2013 at 12:19

Well done to Minni, O4S and Red for the long runs in the snow, and AA for doing the same on the treadmill.

Chick, poor you and well done getting out there for Jantastic after that. Something like that always leaves you low on energy for a bit, I'm sure your speed will come back as soon as you're fully recovered.

Also been . Had finally made a physio appointment for this Sat and had to cancel it. I'm just hoping it might have got rid of at least a little bit of my extra Christmas weight. I'm slow and shit already so nothing to lose there. 

20/01/2013 at 12:42
Morning all. Amazing runs done in the snow and ice guys.

Redders/simon - he couldn't speak this morning he was so hoarse but yes he had a great day and said th Geordies live up to their reputation for being very hospitable!

7 miles done with 6@7:40 on the treadmill this morning with a cracking hangover!! I have just broken my 50 mile week virginity
20/01/2013 at 13:28

50 miles AA? Whatever next?

My record is 111....

anyway - 10 miles ran this morning, in the cold, the wind, the ice, the snow. Legs were a bit niggly but OK. The problem was the only person I could find to run with ran 2:38 at VLM last year so his easy run pace is my tempo run pace.... 

Edited: 20/01/2013 at 13:30
20/01/2013 at 15:55

Try this:

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/wod-sunday-20th-january-2013/

Only takes 5 minutes. Some of it is impossible 

20/01/2013 at 16:28

amazing stuff, AA . How do you feel?

Spoons: 111

Becs: sorry to hear you are poorly.

Right, final run logged for the week. Hope to resume proper training tomorrow . Snow is forecast though. And lots of it

20/01/2013 at 17:03

Was the 111 when you did the 4 in 4 Spoons?

Nice long run on the TM Barry, over 2 hours on the treadmill hardens the soul

Congrats on joining the 50 (mile) club AA, great result at Newcastle yesterday too!

old4speed wrote (see)

I didn't realise BM had also been cancelled - perhaps Minni arranged it so that you couldn't beat her

It was actually me who made the arrangements so that the two of them wouldn't / couldn't leave me for dust!

Sounds like a tough run Minni, snow burn sounds horrible.

Kiwi - folks only make essential journeys in the snow.  Work is usually not essential.  Getting a training session in is!

I was SO not up for doing a long run today in place of a half marathon.  So we went for the next best thing - a 10K!! Headed over the hills to Carlisle where there was no snow.  An undulating route on a windy day. 10K will remain my 'bogey' race - 43:43, only seconds slower than my PB.  Still happy with that at this stage of training, and came home with £20 vouchers for coming in second lady. Was 3rd until about 2 miles when I overtook the second woman, had her hot on my heels for a couple of miles then dropped her.  I could almost hear her thinking "Do...... not...... let...... The Blonde Ponytail....... beat you......!"

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.