RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,721 to 25,740 of 37,186 messages
22/01/2013 at 09:32
Oh no, sorry to hear that Minni, that's awful news
22/01/2013 at 10:47

Minni: How devastating! You must be heartbroken .

A ton of snow came down on our village overnight. Even 10 mm felt like hard hard work. I managed about 8 miles but no way I could have done strides in this. They said it's going to snow for the next 2 days . And then it's going to get cold . We have -6 at the mo - I don't need much colder than that ...

Bro: thank god you met those friendly Canadians! I could have been a bear ... or an axe murderer ...

22/01/2013 at 10:50

Minni-thats aweful-so sorry for your puppy and family. Can believe the car didnt stop..no one cares these days.

22/01/2013 at 11:14
(((((((Minni))))))) so sorry to hear about your puppy.
22/01/2013 at 12:44

Oh dear what a nightmare Minni - poor dog. Damn car driver. I also find it harder on the treadmill - not sure why. 

O4S - I'm in the same boat, was thinking about riding today but there is a lot of ice around. Might think about trying tomorrow.

Bro - that could have gone terribly wrong! Canada is a big country. Luckiliy it wasn't an evening run at least.

This snow is not shifting yet, so I will have to go back to the treadmill again tonight. Sigh. I ran much more previously on snow and ice - I even have yaktrax, but am paranoid about my achilles at the moment and don't want a slip to damage it again. It does look like it may be all gone by the weekend though, so the long run should be outdoors.

22/01/2013 at 13:09
Minni wrote (see)
Very sad morning. Not long after I finished my intervals Mr Minni came come from the dog walk and our puppy (although almost two) has been killed by a car. They were in the fields and she chased something and must have got disorientated in the snow and headed for the road. We are all completely devastated. I'm broken. Bastard car didn't stop.

That's actually brought a lump to my throat. As a dog x 2 owner myself, my heart goes out to you.

22/01/2013 at 13:28
Minni - I cried too so so sorry ((()))

My love of snow and treadmills is deteriorating rapidly.

Carrot - forgot to congratulate you on your brilliant 10k run. And your motivation.

2old - welcome home.

Good luck to anyone flying on Thursday if Bro is travelling somewhere.
22/01/2013 at 14:13

Just popping in to say Minni ((()))

Feel so sorry for you, you must be heartbroken

I haven't run for a couple of weeks, resting the injury which seems to slowly be getting better. Yet another bout of the lurgy and the snow have at least removed the temptation to get out there and I can't say I envy all you lot having to do long runs in this, or worse, on the dreadmill!

Quick read back - Carrot, well done on a great 10k!

22/01/2013 at 14:42

Spoons-have you developed webbed feet? Do you that distance as a continuous swim or lots of lovely intervals?

Daren-hope the lurgy goes soon

AA-no way will I be travelling on Thursday

AntP-the TM is nothing to worry about and its less likely to damage your achillees

Simon-there was a lot of snow in the newtown over the hill from Parbold where I work and theres a fair amount left.Dont want anymore.My quads were smashed over the weekend so its good to use other leg muscles.

04S,Red- great snow running

Bro-very impressed by your early trail runs:I know how dark it is there first thing in the morning.Not suprised you got lost -we often did that on the mountains skiing there.Anyway if you get stuck in Vancouver you will get some nice runs in there particularly around Stanley Park

Minni- I only do intervals on the TM so cant compare. Got my timed intervals done today and feel happy to see the back of them.

22/01/2013 at 15:06

Just sorting out another work trip to Chicago for next week. All a bit last minute and hopefully the weather won't cause any problems. It is about -10 daytime temperature there at the moment, but I expect they can cope a lot better than us!  Simon, I'll be going BA (no, I won't ask you for an upgrade ), but do you know if they have been cancelling any Heathrow to Chicago flights? 

22/01/2013 at 17:05
Freemers - Well the good news is, very unlikely Ba will cancel a longhaul flight, for financial and logistical reasons. So if Heathrow need all airlines to reduce flights by 20%, 1st we would cancel domestic flights, then if more required, European. Basically with domestics, there are other alternatives for passengers, ie train, car, coach. Cancel a longhaul and there's no alternatives, and we could end up paying lots of compo. Also you should be ok with Chicago as we have more than 1 flight a day.
If you want to Pm me your booking ref. after your company has booked it, I'll keep an eye on it.
22/01/2013 at 17:05

Thank you all so much.  I can't stop crying.  Mind you today I've bleached the whole kitchen, washed all the floors, done the washing, cleared all the paths in our cul-de-sac, dug the cars out and had two runs. 

22/01/2013 at 17:14

(((Minni))), so sorry to hear about your dog. Hugs to you & your family. Please take it easy. As for the driver, bastard.

Dreadmillers, I don't know how some of you do 17-18 miles on the treadmill. I hate the things. Respect for those who ran in the snow though. Proper runners

Congrats to Carrot for coming 2nd in the 10k.
Scuba, nice to things going okay for you.
Brol, be careful ! no headtorch then? You could've used your Garmin to direct you back. Handy to mark your car/ apartment etc if in an unusual place then know the rough direction & distance. Admittedly for you that could be 18-20 miles so....

Simon/ 2old, Maddog 10k closes tonight if you haven't got in.

Saturday did the 22 mile event at Hebden Bridge with Mrs FRC, cold, snowing, snow underfoot, often compacted, very hard, some bits you could only get down sliding on your bum. Still trying to work out the amount of hills, my new Garmin has an altimeter, and reckons 4800 ft, but Garmin connect site reckons 5500 so very hilly.

Either way, for someone only who had only just done 2-3 half marathons, a few flat 15-16 miles runs, and a hilly 10 miler at Moel Famau in training, doing 22 miles carrying a backpack and all those hills and snow, was tough but she finished - much harder than doing a flat road marathon. Much complaining when she hadn't eaten enough or right things at right times and energy dipped, kept dosing her with clif bloks, then sore leg muscles at 12 miles so painkillers needed - finishing was a huge achievement. Mrs FRC is now very inspired and got a big confidence boost. More events planned, nice change of pace for me, really enjoyed it.

Oh, Lots of lovely sweet cakes & things at all checkpoints, midway masses of sandwiches, hot cups of tea, plus at end pies or vegie stew, then crumble & custard after all for £9. Top value!
I also got a great kit test for the ultra, merino baselayer, new soft shell Montane trail jacket (both perfect), together with the Montane waterproof I got in October, even went down to testing bionic underwear and socks Lots of time on feet for me which was ideal.

Oh we were photographed too by Sports Sunday AND the Sunday Sport... (think about it). One official, the other one doing some "natural" type photos with a young lady just a fur coat on. I suspect she might've been from Brazil also? Cue shocked looks from both groups as runners appeared.

Half marathon was cancelled Sunday, so did 14+ miles with club mates mostly trail felt surprisingly good. Legs in decent nick, now tapering, sports massage yesterday after for me a heavy mileage month of 40-50 miles a week (or a "half Brol" as I've heard some people call it). 2 months into my plan for VLM and all good so far, 50 mile ultra in less than 2 weeks.

22/01/2013 at 17:14

Minni - Really sorry about your dog, awful, virtual hugs coming your way.

M.r Zuvai    pirate
22/01/2013 at 17:57

Minni - im so sorry about the pup, devasted for you  

im back up north this week - the train ride was just beautifull all the way (well, except through london) Manchester seams mostly clear of snow and ice to will do all my commuting by running

I had an adventure on Sunday, went to the Bike show at the excel (got privately quite excited about when we'd all be returning in April!). Had a great time, but it snowed continously throughout the day - by the time we returned to the call the handbrake had frozen over! It was then that the missus decided to inform me that our roadside had expired and she hadnt bothered to renew!!! Took me nearly 2 hours to get the brake calipers free - and i was soaking wet from crawling around trying release the breaks - made a horrific sounds when the ice broke too!! Still we all got home safe! We now have roadside assistance.

22/01/2013 at 18:00

Minni - sad news.  Remember those puppies (and everything they chewed) being a big part of your VLM taper 2 years ago.

FRC - sounds like a cracking event.  Sunday Sport race photography - who'd have thought?

Ant - think you are making the right call to stay away from the snow with the achilles - aside from the fall risk I find everything has to work a lot harder in the snow and its much easier to aggravate niggles.  Shame - its so nice out there right now!

4k swim for me today - nice to be back up to a decent distance.  Bit surreal to have snow lining the edges of the (heated) pool and a snowman sitting happily at the end of my lane!

22/01/2013 at 18:02

Zuvai - think thats karma getting you for driving to the bike show... 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
22/01/2013 at 18:13

Minni - Terrible newsmy heart goes out to you and your family.

Scuba Trooper    pirate
22/01/2013 at 18:13

Bro - Your madness is confirmed, glad you got back safe, did you tell Mr Bro?

22/01/2013 at 18:31

((Minni)) horrible news, I too remember the puppytastic taper. I can't believe the bastard driver didn't stop.

KFC I had a snowy swim at the weekend, I love it when it's like this.

Well done to Mrs FRC, you should send her out with O4S next if you want to fully corrupt her!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.