RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,761 to 25,780 of 36,979 messages
22/01/2013 at 22:33
so sorry to hear about your puppy Minni, I hope you and your family are ok.
22/01/2013 at 22:46
Minni- hope you're holding up. Absolutely heart breaking, lots and lots of virtual hugs.
ST- sounds like the recovery is going well, very glad to hear.
FRC- very well done to you and Mrs FRC. Is she inspired enough to do the TR?
As for my last adventure, I did mark the location of the hotel on my garmin but completely forgot about it. I think I must've panicked a or maybe my brain just started freezing... I had a head torch but was a bit scared to run on the road with nowhere to hide (snow piled on both sides) and no high viz.
Anyway survived.
ST-I wasn't going to tell MrB but did in the end... He wasn't too upset I think he's made peace with my madness.
Intervals done this morning on TM, hope I won't have to do another TM session for a long time to come.
Last day of boarding completed and happy to report no injuries. Phew!
22/01/2013 at 22:51

Just back from the gym. No more snow falling here thankfully.

2old and kfc, quite pleased with the success of the treadie with my achilles niggles. In fact I really enjoyed my intervals this evening on it. did mile intervals at admittedly not exactly interval pace, but instead around 7:20s. But considering this was the first speed work I had done since before Xmas it felt great.

What i particularly liked about the treaddie workout today was that i bumped up the speed 0.1mph every minute during the fast section so that I was getting up some proper speed by the end of it. Did the last minute of the session at 5K pace - 6:25.

Carrot - what is your 10 minute rule in the gym for the treadmill - surely not you are only allowed 10 minutes - that's just a warm up

FRC - impressive stuff doing Hebden Bridge - one of the people on my MTB holiday did that race as well. Looked snowy!

Mr Z - you should have just called a garage anyway 

Spoons - back in the saddle, nice one

Daren - had wondered what had happened to you - has the groin injury healed?

23/01/2013 at 08:41

2km swim this morning. Ran out of time so didn't manage 2.5km

23/01/2013 at 08:46

Really sorry to hear about your dog Minni, absolutely terrible news. I can't believe that someone would just drive off after doing that, some people simply have no morals.

Very nice report FRC, sounds like a decent race.

Congratulations on your interval session Ant, sounds very consistent. 

I did 6.5M into work this morning. Went slowly to start but tried to push the pace a bit for the last three just to gauge my fitness (and as punishment for being out on the beer tonight). Quite depressing as it would appear my LT pace is currently between 7.50 - 8.20! Lots of hard work coming up for me I think...

23/01/2013 at 08:56

Not quite Ant, although it seems to be getting there slowly. I might be being over cautious, as I could probably run on it now, but don't want to risk redoing it and it becoming a chronic problem, especially as I've got a ski holiday in a couple of months. Nice intervals btw.

And Carrot, no, I haven't been cross training - not really been cycling weather and I decided on complete rest being the best option anyway. So I'm sure it will be a bit of a shock and I'll be very slow and shit if and when I do get back out there!

23/01/2013 at 09:11
simon62w wrote (see)
Freemers - Well the good news is, very unlikely Ba will cancel a longhaul flight, for financial and logistical reasons. So if Heathrow need all airlines to reduce flights by 20%, 1st we would cancel domestic flights, then if more required, European. Basically with domestics, there are other alternatives for passengers, ie train, car, coach. Cancel a longhaul and there's no alternatives, and we could end up paying lots of compo. Also you should be ok with Chicago as we have more than 1 flight a day.
If you want to Pm me your booking ref. after your company has booked it, I'll keep an eye on it.

Thanks Simon  Looking at the forecast it seems to be getting warmer at the weekend so hopefully I should be fine for a Monday flight. 

Minni - I hope you managed to get some sleep after what must have been a horrid day yesterday.

FRC - great effort by Mrs FRC there!

Ant - nice intervals. I like that about the treadmill too - really good way to push the pace gradually. I follow the rule that Tom on MT has where each fast rep has to be at least as quick (and preferably quicker) than the previous one.

Red - your speed will come back soon enough. I remember this time last year when I could hardly get close to 8 min/miles after my injury break, but it does get better

I missed my run yesterday, so need to get it done later. Only an easy 6 to do.

23/01/2013 at 10:27

Morning all

Still no DD?Must have decided to stay on at Val in the  amazing snow

FRC-Maddog booked-are you running? I know you said you werent but maybe you changed your mind. Fanatastic 22 miler by your OH and not bad by you too. Sounds quite an adventure. Any links to the pictures? Looks like the endurance work you are doing on top of the fast pre Newe Year stuff will put you in a good place for VLM. No opinion what will happen in the 50 miler as thats a foreign land to me-rather you than me

MrZ-good thing you are an IM as that will have given you the strength of character to get through all that car woe

Barry-another great TM session. I think TM intervals are tough because you have to run them at the TMs pace without the ability to vary them unless of course you adjust the speed by pressing the button.So Im with Minni rather than Simon on this.

Simon-pity about Madddog but better to recover. Im running with a friend who hasnt trained since before Xmas-dont think we'll be running alongside each other for long

Spoons-oh to have been a proper swimmer like you when younger-my kids seem to be able to swim fast even when they haven't swam for a year or more , the technique was so imbedded by their swimmimg club. Only 2k-swim faster!

Bro-safe fight home-hope there's a TM on the plane for you

KFC-a 4k swim -epic stuff-how did you avoid boredom?

AntP- The elite athletes use TMs as part of their training so if its ok for them its ok for me...anyway how would I keep up with soaps without using one and watching TV?

04S-more snow down your way last night-can you still run out there?

Red-dont worry the speed will come. Try introducing some LT work on the TM say start at 3miles and build up slowly to avoid aggravating your injury

Free-that increasing the fast rep idea sounds a challenging variation ..I may give it a try

Recovery day for me so maybe a swim-the first this year and a trendy run later

23/01/2013 at 10:57

More snow this morning which is settling on top of ice so trip to the gym for 8 miles easy on the tready.

2old/simon -  Agree re treadmills intervals,  they may not be as physically challenging as on the road but mentally they are harder as not in control and many of us don't like being told what to do.

Red -  It will come back just don't push it.

23/01/2013 at 11:14

That's why I never use my handbrake ...

I would imagine an interval sesh on the treadmill to be just about bearable due the different paces / timed intervals.

11.2 miles done in the freezing cold this morning. At least there was no wind but still lots of snow. I found a stretch of about 1 mile on the pavement that was relatively compacted and not too slippery. I ran that up and down, up and down ... . Luckily I hadn't yet listened to last week's marathontalk episode...

23/01/2013 at 12:11
Chick - that's sounds like a run on the treadmill anyway!! Bloody cold there now then?!

Red - stick with it. Your speed will come back.

Spoons - excellent to see you actually enjoying hill reps

Minni - hope you are ok ((()))

Interval tready session for me today. 6x1200s @14.8 today. And that was anything but easy!
23/01/2013 at 12:27
2oldnever wrote (see)

Spoons-oh to have been a proper swimmer like you when younger-my kids seem to be able to swim fast even when they haven't swam for a year or more , the technique was so imbedded by their swimmimg club. Only 2k-swim faster! 

I never swam until I was 36 though so it can be done....

23/01/2013 at 12:33

I've become a victim of credit card fraud . Some dubious Western Union transaction amounting to almost EUR 500 appeared on my credit card overnight . I will get it back eventually, but there's lots of aggro beforehand (like going to the police, obtaining a copy of the report, going to the bank, filling in forms ...). Bugger! The only 2 companies that have my credit card on file are Amazon and iTunes. And I thought they were safe. Seems they are anything but ...

23/01/2013 at 13:23

Ran to work in the snow this morning but not relishing the idea of the return journey

Chick sounds worrying!  The aggro is the worst part...................

FRC - is your O/H called Debbie??

23/01/2013 at 14:18

Chick-thats a real pain, hope it wont put you out too much. One mile repeats-thats one way to do 11+miles, great improvising

04S-you could always get a taxi home....not that thats likely. Crazy running

Spoons-yes there may be hope after all, have to be disciplined and find time for some technique lessons. Anyway swam 2k this lunchtime, first swim since early December so I can still do it even if it is slow

AA-fast TM intervals and definately not easy-what recovery did you do inbetween?

Back to the TM tonight.

23/01/2013 at 15:16

Not having a good day.  At work but feeling totally .  Took mummy dog for a 3 mile run this morning and she started coughing when I got back and I got totally panicked that something might be wrong with her.  I've got my kit with me to do my 12m straight after work because there's no snow here on the coast.  I'm really dreading going back home.

23/01/2013 at 15:47

Minni- (((((( ))))))-poor you- you'll feel better in time.Maybe the endorphins from the 12miler will help a bit.

23/01/2013 at 15:52
2old - 200m walk/jog recovery. Nice swimming, I haven't done any since the lake closed

O4S - be careful running home. Did you enter Bramley?

(((Minni))) I hope the run along the coast helps you too.
23/01/2013 at 16:06

poor you, Minni

How's mummy dog coping? When my dog died his doggy friend totally didn't get it. Everything in our house still smelled of Ben so he was running around, searching for him and then he just looked a me with those big sad eyes. Broke my heart again, it did

23/01/2013 at 16:26

AA  Yup, entered Bramley but at current rate of progress will have to treat it as an LSR.  Was going so well over Christmas, then the trip to Ireland, followed by this weather, seems to have set me right back .  Just getting dressed up for the homeward trip

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.