RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,801 to 25,820 of 37,587 messages
25/01/2013 at 07:05

Go DD

25/01/2013 at 07:15

Good luck DD.

Minni how have you done 7 runs already?

Joining a gym later. I hate gyms but I need to up the cross training.

I just dip into MT now, there are only so many ways you can debate tapers and the merits of 20 milers, but I like the news and interviews.

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 07:15
25/01/2013 at 07:39
Good luck DD.

Do we know if he made it back from skiing unscathed??

Bro - you must be totally acclimatised for your 21 miler!

Sheet ice still here...not sure I can face another long one on the tready might wait til Sunday when it's supposed to be a barmy 7degrees
25/01/2013 at 07:54
Good luck DD!
25/01/2013 at 08:26

I like Fed but am warming more to Murray and want him to win today.   Mind you I think Novak will beat them in the final anyway - that man is a monster!

Go DD

On MT, I tend to tune out when they do the training talk session. I like the banter between the two of them sometimes, Tony's Trials is pretty funny most of the time. On the interviews I generally get a feeling quite early on as to whether I'm going to like it or not so will sometimes listen, sometimes not.

AA - I think I'd wait till Sunday   I have a tempo scheduled today, still undecided whether to do it outside or on the TM.

25/01/2013 at 08:45
Weeble - doubles on Tue, Wed and Thur and one this morning.
25/01/2013 at 09:04
Redders: it sounds like something from a Tarantino movie ... 

DD: I reckon you are finshed by now! Hope you had a GREAT one. You certainly deserve it after all the hard work.

Bro: glad to hear you got back without major hickups!  
Freemers wrote (see)

8 miles easy done today...just logged it on Jantastic....right now we are top of the leaderboard . I also listened to a bit of MT earlier - Team Minni got a mention in the Jantastic run down

Need to start thinking about the targets and long runs to log for Febulous...deadline for entering your targets is 4 Feb.

Red - yes I saw that on the local news. Very funny!

Freemers: thanks for the reminder. Just logged my Febulous targets. Great stuff about the mention on MT (listened to it on my MLR this morning) AND being on top of the leaderboard

Spoons. wrote (see)

Just logged my 3rd run on Jantastic. That's the most runs in a week I've done all year!

Controversial question : is Marathon Talk getting a bit dull? I've listened to it since the start. It seems to get longer every week. I think it would be better if it was only an hour long.

I love MT. I can zone out when I do my MLRs (they usually take around 1:40 which is more or less the length of an MT episode). If I'm not marathon training I like to listen to it in the car. Tony's trials is great, unless he sings ... then I have to hit fast forward! Some interviews are dull but then there are rare gems like Mike Tomlinson. Still getting goosebumps just thinking about it. When I was ill last week I thought: hell, that's how Jane must have felt all the time, especially after Chemo! And all I managed one paltry mile . Goes to show just how amazing she was.

12 miles d&d, av. page 8:22. Ran on the road as I couldn't face sliding around the pavement. At 4:30 there's little traffic but it got more towards the end, so there was a bit of hopping on and off the pavement.

I have a 10k scheduled on Sunday . Really don't fancy it. I think I'm better off doing the long run with 8 @ MP that I should have done last week. I think I'll use the 10k in the middle for some MP miles and probably tag some more on.

25/01/2013 at 09:14

What is MT??  I guess just a load of people talking about marathons - like this forum with added sound???

25/01/2013 at 09:18

Good luck DD, hope you're relaxing with a cool cider by now!

Freemers - that video was quite funny. Although I find it funnier that I live about 120 miles away from Norwich yet it features quite heavily in my local news!

Chick - go on, you know you want to cane the 10K!

I managed 7M with minimum knee pain into work which was a relief. Annoyingly I have to do my long run tomorrow though as I need to shoe-horn my week's running into four days next week. Am off to Toulouse for a stag do next week and I'm the best man, so it bodes to be a particularly disorganised affair. Fingers crossed the tickets for Toulouse v PSG arrive soon or my name will be mud!

I've only listened to MT once, so can't really comment. Imagine there are certain bits of it that would really annoy me after a while though! 

25/01/2013 at 10:42
Barry/O4S - Re bunions, mine are huge. Big toes are angled outwards at 45degrees. Great for football for curling freekicks, but I could never kick the ball straight. Don't normally hurt for running.
O4S - Research before you have an op, as various ways to deal with them. Slice of cake op not the best apparently.

2old - Recovery date unknown re heel.

Go DD, are you sure it's this w/end he's racing Minni?
25/01/2013 at 11:14

Morning all

AA-be careful ,run where and when its safe. Youd never forgive yourself if you ruined the next few months with injury

Chick-great 12miler. Running on the road is easier than pavements-maybe thats a small contributory reason why the race is usually faster. Dont wimp out at that 10k . Do 3 warm up real slow race eyeballs out and 3 cool down. You know you want to.

Red-glad you had noill effects with your knee during that 7 mile run. Its building nicely for you.

Minni-thats lost of doubles. Are they all part of your schedule. Im intrigued as to how to do them to the best effect. I have done the odd double in the past and will proabbly do some for this campaign but Im interested to see how they affect your main runs and the fatigue you must be experiencing. You must be putting in some big weekly mileage too.

Simon-gutted for you

DD- talk about building up the tension. We are all bgetting excited here for you.

Its good being top of the Janatastic board. When do we have to log our Febtastic plans?

Probably doing my LR tomorrow if the snow passes over today and tonight so a recovery run today .

25/01/2013 at 11:26
Chick- good luck with the 10k, you know you want to!
Red- glad the knee is ok.
Hope DD has smashed it.
Another one with bunions, especially my right foot. Seems to be something that runs in my family, especially with all the ladies. I'm going to ignore it for as long as possible before resorting to a surgery.
I'm officially in a jet lag hell. Was up until ungodly hours and have only just dragged myself out of bed but can't keep my eyes open. Hoping a 21m will sort me out...
Come on Andy!
25/01/2013 at 11:47
Nice run chick - go blast the 10k!!

Has anyone stalked DD yet?!

I did my 20 miles on the treadmill. Nearly gave up at 1h15 but kept going. Been watching Murray - who flits between British and Scottish for me depending on how he's doing!!
First 20 of this campaign
25/01/2013 at 11:55
AA- hats off, you're a TM queen
25/01/2013 at 12:03
2oldnever wrote (see)

Chick-great 12miler. Running on the road is easier than pavements-maybe thats a small contributory reason why the race is usually faster. Dont wimp out at that 10k . Do 3 warm up real slow race eyeballs out and 3 cool down. You know you want to.

TBH I think I give the blast a miss this time around and really focus on marathon pace instead. I have another one mid Feb. By then the ice will have gone and I have a much better chance to PB. And I don't want to miss a 2nd long run in a row. Plus we are away next weekend and I'll have to do my long run mid-week, i. e. it will probably not be a very long run ...  I guess 16 or 17 is the most I could manage before work

25/01/2013 at 12:04

AA, forgot to say: 20 miles on the TM . Full marks for determination!!

25/01/2013 at 13:11

AA - at least you had some good entertainment on your TM - I've been slightly less active - installed in the sofabed in front of the telly for the last 4 hours!  Now the match is over I'm going to have to go out for my long run.  Final looks like its gonna be another cracker.

Redwood - thats good news the 7M seemed ok

Just stalked DD - think I found the right person, if I did it looks like he did get back from skiing and finished in one piece - I'll leave it to him to report properly.

25/01/2013 at 13:30

Afternoon all,

Not been on for a while so i've been frantically trying to catch up with it all.

Minni - Sorry to hear your news... They should string the b'stard up for not stopping!

DD - Good luck for your mara (i may be too late with this one?)

AA - How do you do 20 on the dm??? Like everyone else, i've had to do it this past week but topped out at 13, which was supposed to be 16 but mind-numbing boredom took over and my gym is always really hot!

Spoons & Simon - Glad to see you are both on the road to recovery.

I've been frantically logging my runs on Jantastic, so as not to incur the wrath of Minni. Rest day today, but i might do some x-training as have neglected weights and core in the interests of trying to feel like a runner again.

Question - As a P & D virgin, i seem to be struggling with any LT or interval runs?Am i the only one who is really starting to worry about the lack of speedwork in their program at this stage???

Surely you can't get taper madness this early... Can you ????

25/01/2013 at 13:48

Oomps, good to have you back. Don't worry about the first couple of LT sessions - they are hard, verging on impossible. I think it's due to the increased mileage that comes with the schedule. Just work at the right intensity (do you use a HR monitor?) and forget about pace. IMHO you don't need lots of intervals to run a good marathon. I did exactly 4 sessions (2 lots of 600s, 1 x 1200s, 1 x mile reps) and still cracked 3:30 comfortably. MP work is much more valuable. At least it worked for me ...

25/01/2013 at 13:57

Thanks Chicka. I followed an RW schedule last year that had a lot more intervals and speedwork in general, but P & D seem to have a lot more aerobic mileage.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.