RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,821 to 25,840 of 37,115 messages
25/01/2013 at 15:52
Oomp- don't worry too much about the speed stuff. This time last year I was training for VLM after a long break with injury. I followed theRW schedule for sub 3.15 but avoided speedier stuff until March and the taper and I still did 3.14. For Autumn I did the same LRs and MLRs but added one session of faster stuff per week and that resulted in 3.09. I'm finding it tough increasing mileage and including speed at the moment but its still early days. A good regular tempo session is probably better than intervals IMO.
Bit of a blizzard going on here. Off to the TM soon. Bit worried about tomorrow's LR.
25/01/2013 at 15:53

I stalked DD too

AA - wow, can't believe you've done another LSR on the TM. Brilliant effort

Oompa - good to see you on here again and glad you're doing your bit for Team Minni

Just 5 miles for my tempo today...not feeling brilliant, think I'll have a rest day tomorrow. Sunday I am cutting back to 15 so this was always going to be a lighter week. I should get some TM runs in when I'm away - hope the hotel has a decent gym anyway.

Glad Murray won...although he made a bit of a meal of it not holding out in the 4th set.  I still think Novak will beat him but I hope I'm wring.

25/01/2013 at 16:06
2old - Is your blizzard in Ormskirk, cus there's naff all here in Manchester?

Freemers - Things still look ok for Monday, but I'm in work at the w/end anyway. Is your return Thursday?
Dubai Dave    pirate
25/01/2013 at 16:06
Sorry folks, not been very well since getting back from Skiing, hence the radio silence. Woke up this morning not feeling very good, but nothing ventured nothing gained so stood on start line distributing snot to all and sundry. Went out at 3-15 pace and knew after 15K that this was not my day. Pushed through to. 25K when virus infected body rebelled and demanded a walk break. Took Brufen, gel and full bottle of Gatorade and set off once again, hurt like hell and called on all the years of experience to keep moving.

Whilst only managing. 5 min/K I still started passing all and sundry, realised that sub. 3-30 was still a possibility I kept pushing on and eventually staggered over the line in 3-28-12. 4th M55. 219th out of 2200. Huge positive split of 11 minutes but if you had told me at 0700 that i would go sub 3-30 and run my 3rd fastest marathon I would have bitten your hand off . Now full of cider all is well even if I still feel shit. If I had run a little more conservatively I could probably gone around 3-20 to 3-25 but it was shit or bust time.
25/01/2013 at 16:42
DD- what a bummer of a time to get sick so on the circs that was a cracking marathon. It just shows that to get what you deserve everything has to fall into place at the right time. Huge positive split.Every reason to celebrate . Great performance
Simon- yes Ormskirk is getting battered with horizontal snow. Seems to coming from the east which is odd when it was forecast to come from your direction
AA- brilliant LR on the DM. Hope I won't have to do that this weekend
25/01/2013 at 17:06

Freemers - agree it should have been over in 4, but was nice to see him properly steamroller fed in the 5th.  Head says Djoc for the title, but hoping it wont be!

DD - was wondering what was behind the positive split - we don't expect that from you!  Well done for going for it - shame the illness stopped you properly testing what your recent speed can do.

12M done @8.33.   100% for Jantastic .    29M total this week - more than ages and nearly back to looking like I'm marathon training .    No running for me this weekend as I'll be getting my billhook on and laying some hedges.  Surprisingly this doesnt appear on the F*rman crosstraining list .

25/01/2013 at 18:00
DD - given how you were feeling that's a brilliant result

Simon - yes back on the 20.xx from Chicago which I think gets in around 10am Friday.
25/01/2013 at 18:07

20 on the TM AA? Crazzzzeeeeeeeeeeee!

Well done Andy but I might have to support Novak now.....

DD - bloody well done for doing it while ill.  Great time too.  Shame you couldn't nail that pb but it must leave you feeling great all the same.  Have you got any other marathons planned this year?

Oompa - When I followed P&D I really struggled with the LT runs to begin with too.  I was happy with the lack of speedwork!   I don't blame the driver of the car.  Not their fault.

2old - doubles aren't really a part of my schedule but they will be featuring heavily from now on since I only have one dog.  I used to run a lot with Lola but didn't so much with the two of them because I couldn't manage them both on leads.  My morning runs this week have been  2.5 - 3 miles with the dog and done slowly, usually with an extra walked section over the field in the middle.  I'll be over 60 this week.   21 planned tomorrow on the coast since there's too much snow here.  Only risk is the moor will be blocked in the morning and I won't be able to get down.  If that's the case I'll move it to Sunday.

25/01/2013 at 18:37
DD- bummer about the illness... So frustrating when things out of our control get in the way. Hats off for giving it a crack regardless, it must've hurt in the last miles.. Hope things fall into place next time for you.
Oompa- P&D is great, stick with it and don't let any doubts creep in. Do you get your paces from McMillan? I found that at the beginning I could hardly manage the slowest end of the McMillan LT pace range but a few weeks in it got a lot easier and it felt like quite a sudden jump. It really does work!
21m done @ 8:47. There's no snow where I am but still quite a bit left in Richmond park so there was a bit of slipping and sliding.
25/01/2013 at 18:54

DD:  well done on not doing the sensible thing!!  A man after my own heart

We have postponed our 30 mile jaunt in the Forest of Dean to next weekend as it is still thick snow over there.  Planning 16/17 tomorrow outdoors as the forecast is sun and warmer

25/01/2013 at 19:20

AA -  Well done on the tready 20.

DD -  Shit luck with the virus,  you gave it a very good go and impressive effort to finish in a really good time all things considered.  When's the next one?

Brol -  Nice long one.

Yeah well done to Andy but I'll be supporting anyone who's playing against him. 5 miles slow on the tready but back on the road tomorrow.

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 20:17
25/01/2013 at 20:40

DD you did right just going for it, and you've still churned out a decent marathon time and placing.  It's horrible ending up in that place during a marathon but you've pushed through the pain and cracked on with it.  True grit and determination, well done.  Just really bad timing with the virus, really sucks when you've put so much hard work in for this.

You're coming back well Spoons, do you still have snow down your way?

Good to hear the knee was OK today Redwood afer your Bambi antics in the park.

Gyms aren't all bad Weeble, I always manage to get a decent stretch in and do my core work after a session in the gym, unlike when I just arrive home after an outdoors run and head for the shower.  Does it have a pool?

Chick get that 10K raced, they're not as bad as we all make out.  It's just like doing an intervals session involving 3 x 2 mile with no recovery and an extra bit on the end. 

Well done getting your first 20 in AA, hardcore getting that done on the treadmill!

10 miles done on the treadmill yesterday with 8 steady, tonight was Fartlek Friday.  On the treadmill.  AGAIN.  Easy run planned tomorrow, OUTSIDE.

25/01/2013 at 21:15
DD - Let's cut to the chase... That's a bloody outstanding time without the illness and I'm in awe of you doing that whilst ill!!!! Massive congrats.0

Brol - I get my paces from the RW sub 3.15 guide, so MP is 7.26, LT - 7.03. 10k - 6.51 etc... although I think these are (slightly) pessimistic as (when fit) I can run faster than this.

Minni - Call me weird, but I like speedwork! Gives me a big psychological boost.
25/01/2013 at 21:24

DD - that's a great performance being ill. That's the problem with marathons. Everything goes perfectly and the suddenly you're ill and you can't just try again next week.

let's not forget that AA prefers running on the treadmill

25/01/2013 at 21:26
kfc. wrote (see)

I'll be getting my billhook on and laying some hedges.  

I don't know what this means

25/01/2013 at 21:32

Oompa - I like Speedwork too. But - LT runs, tempo runs, MP runs, progressive runs: all that stuff is better for marathon training

25/01/2013 at 21:34

Carrot - snow has all turned into ice

but. - forecast is 10 degrees and raining on Sunday so that will get rid of it

rest day today for me. My legs are feeling the return to training. Easy run tomorrow.

25/01/2013 at 23:05

lots of snow falling here - looks like Xmas card scene so it looks like myLR will be on Sunday

Bro- great 21 miler today - pity my 14 yesterday wasn't 20

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 23:06
25/01/2013 at 23:21
Spoons. wrote (see)
kfc. wrote (see)

I'll be getting my billhook on and laying some hedges.  

I don't know what this means

ummm, how do I best explain this..  I'll be doing it in the midland bullock style...

25/01/2013 at 23:39
KFC - Ok I've checked out the website, but where do you stick your billhook?

2old - Manchester got a good dump of snow for my commute home, and should be interesting trying to go in tomorrow early.

Freemers - ok, I thought it was you, but I wasn't sure of your real name, but checked out MT.

DD - Great race and time considering you were sick. A lot of us would love a time like that.
Edited: 25/01/2013 at 23:41
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.