RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,821 to 25,840 of 36,100 messages
25/01/2013 at 09:18

Good luck DD, hope you're relaxing with a cool cider by now!

Freemers - that video was quite funny. Although I find it funnier that I live about 120 miles away from Norwich yet it features quite heavily in my local news!

Chick - go on, you know you want to cane the 10K!

I managed 7M with minimum knee pain into work which was a relief. Annoyingly I have to do my long run tomorrow though as I need to shoe-horn my week's running into four days next week. Am off to Toulouse for a stag do next week and I'm the best man, so it bodes to be a particularly disorganised affair. Fingers crossed the tickets for Toulouse v PSG arrive soon or my name will be mud!

I've only listened to MT once, so can't really comment. Imagine there are certain bits of it that would really annoy me after a while though! 

25/01/2013 at 10:42
Barry/O4S - Re bunions, mine are huge. Big toes are angled outwards at 45degrees. Great for football for curling freekicks, but I could never kick the ball straight. Don't normally hurt for running.
O4S - Research before you have an op, as various ways to deal with them. Slice of cake op not the best apparently.

2old - Recovery date unknown re heel.

Go DD, are you sure it's this w/end he's racing Minni?
25/01/2013 at 11:14

Morning all

AA-be careful ,run where and when its safe. Youd never forgive yourself if you ruined the next few months with injury

Chick-great 12miler. Running on the road is easier than pavements-maybe thats a small contributory reason why the race is usually faster. Dont wimp out at that 10k . Do 3 warm up real slow race eyeballs out and 3 cool down. You know you want to.

Red-glad you had noill effects with your knee during that 7 mile run. Its building nicely for you.

Minni-thats lost of doubles. Are they all part of your schedule. Im intrigued as to how to do them to the best effect. I have done the odd double in the past and will proabbly do some for this campaign but Im interested to see how they affect your main runs and the fatigue you must be experiencing. You must be putting in some big weekly mileage too.

Simon-gutted for you

DD- talk about building up the tension. We are all bgetting excited here for you.

Its good being top of the Janatastic board. When do we have to log our Febtastic plans?

Probably doing my LR tomorrow if the snow passes over today and tonight so a recovery run today .

25/01/2013 at 11:26
Chick- good luck with the 10k, you know you want to!
Red- glad the knee is ok.
Hope DD has smashed it.
Another one with bunions, especially my right foot. Seems to be something that runs in my family, especially with all the ladies. I'm going to ignore it for as long as possible before resorting to a surgery.
I'm officially in a jet lag hell. Was up until ungodly hours and have only just dragged myself out of bed but can't keep my eyes open. Hoping a 21m will sort me out...
Come on Andy!
25/01/2013 at 11:47
Nice run chick - go blast the 10k!!

Has anyone stalked DD yet?!

I did my 20 miles on the treadmill. Nearly gave up at 1h15 but kept going. Been watching Murray - who flits between British and Scottish for me depending on how he's doing!!
First 20 of this campaign
25/01/2013 at 11:55
AA- hats off, you're a TM queen
25/01/2013 at 12:03
2oldnever wrote (see)

Chick-great 12miler. Running on the road is easier than pavements-maybe thats a small contributory reason why the race is usually faster. Dont wimp out at that 10k . Do 3 warm up real slow race eyeballs out and 3 cool down. You know you want to.

TBH I think I give the blast a miss this time around and really focus on marathon pace instead. I have another one mid Feb. By then the ice will have gone and I have a much better chance to PB. And I don't want to miss a 2nd long run in a row. Plus we are away next weekend and I'll have to do my long run mid-week, i. e. it will probably not be a very long run ...  I guess 16 or 17 is the most I could manage before work

25/01/2013 at 12:04

AA, forgot to say: 20 miles on the TM . Full marks for determination!!

25/01/2013 at 13:11

AA - at least you had some good entertainment on your TM - I've been slightly less active - installed in the sofabed in front of the telly for the last 4 hours!  Now the match is over I'm going to have to go out for my long run.  Final looks like its gonna be another cracker.

Redwood - thats good news the 7M seemed ok

Just stalked DD - think I found the right person, if I did it looks like he did get back from skiing and finished in one piece - I'll leave it to him to report properly.

25/01/2013 at 13:30

Afternoon all,

Not been on for a while so i've been frantically trying to catch up with it all.

Minni - Sorry to hear your news... They should string the b'stard up for not stopping!

DD - Good luck for your mara (i may be too late with this one?)

AA - How do you do 20 on the dm??? Like everyone else, i've had to do it this past week but topped out at 13, which was supposed to be 16 but mind-numbing boredom took over and my gym is always really hot!

Spoons & Simon - Glad to see you are both on the road to recovery.

I've been frantically logging my runs on Jantastic, so as not to incur the wrath of Minni. Rest day today, but i might do some x-training as have neglected weights and core in the interests of trying to feel like a runner again.

Question - As a P & D virgin, i seem to be struggling with any LT or interval runs?Am i the only one who is really starting to worry about the lack of speedwork in their program at this stage???

Surely you can't get taper madness this early... Can you ????

25/01/2013 at 13:48

Oomps, good to have you back. Don't worry about the first couple of LT sessions - they are hard, verging on impossible. I think it's due to the increased mileage that comes with the schedule. Just work at the right intensity (do you use a HR monitor?) and forget about pace. IMHO you don't need lots of intervals to run a good marathon. I did exactly 4 sessions (2 lots of 600s, 1 x 1200s, 1 x mile reps) and still cracked 3:30 comfortably. MP work is much more valuable. At least it worked for me ...

25/01/2013 at 13:57

Thanks Chicka. I followed an RW schedule last year that had a lot more intervals and speedwork in general, but P & D seem to have a lot more aerobic mileage.

25/01/2013 at 15:52
Oomp- don't worry too much about the speed stuff. This time last year I was training for VLM after a long break with injury. I followed theRW schedule for sub 3.15 but avoided speedier stuff until March and the taper and I still did 3.14. For Autumn I did the same LRs and MLRs but added one session of faster stuff per week and that resulted in 3.09. I'm finding it tough increasing mileage and including speed at the moment but its still early days. A good regular tempo session is probably better than intervals IMO.
Bit of a blizzard going on here. Off to the TM soon. Bit worried about tomorrow's LR.
25/01/2013 at 15:53

I stalked DD too

AA - wow, can't believe you've done another LSR on the TM. Brilliant effort

Oompa - good to see you on here again and glad you're doing your bit for Team Minni

Just 5 miles for my tempo today...not feeling brilliant, think I'll have a rest day tomorrow. Sunday I am cutting back to 15 so this was always going to be a lighter week. I should get some TM runs in when I'm away - hope the hotel has a decent gym anyway.

Glad Murray won...although he made a bit of a meal of it not holding out in the 4th set.  I still think Novak will beat him but I hope I'm wring.

25/01/2013 at 16:06
2old - Is your blizzard in Ormskirk, cus there's naff all here in Manchester?

Freemers - Things still look ok for Monday, but I'm in work at the w/end anyway. Is your return Thursday?
Dubai Dave    pirate
25/01/2013 at 16:06
Sorry folks, not been very well since getting back from Skiing, hence the radio silence. Woke up this morning not feeling very good, but nothing ventured nothing gained so stood on start line distributing snot to all and sundry. Went out at 3-15 pace and knew after 15K that this was not my day. Pushed through to. 25K when virus infected body rebelled and demanded a walk break. Took Brufen, gel and full bottle of Gatorade and set off once again, hurt like hell and called on all the years of experience to keep moving.

Whilst only managing. 5 min/K I still started passing all and sundry, realised that sub. 3-30 was still a possibility I kept pushing on and eventually staggered over the line in 3-28-12. 4th M55. 219th out of 2200. Huge positive split of 11 minutes but if you had told me at 0700 that i would go sub 3-30 and run my 3rd fastest marathon I would have bitten your hand off . Now full of cider all is well even if I still feel shit. If I had run a little more conservatively I could probably gone around 3-20 to 3-25 but it was shit or bust time.
25/01/2013 at 16:42
DD- what a bummer of a time to get sick so on the circs that was a cracking marathon. It just shows that to get what you deserve everything has to fall into place at the right time. Huge positive split.Every reason to celebrate . Great performance
Simon- yes Ormskirk is getting battered with horizontal snow. Seems to coming from the east which is odd when it was forecast to come from your direction
AA- brilliant LR on the DM. Hope I won't have to do that this weekend
25/01/2013 at 17:06

Freemers - agree it should have been over in 4, but was nice to see him properly steamroller fed in the 5th.  Head says Djoc for the title, but hoping it wont be!

DD - was wondering what was behind the positive split - we don't expect that from you!  Well done for going for it - shame the illness stopped you properly testing what your recent speed can do.

12M done @8.33.   100% for Jantastic .    29M total this week - more than ages and nearly back to looking like I'm marathon training .    No running for me this weekend as I'll be getting my billhook on and laying some hedges.  Surprisingly this doesnt appear on the F*rman crosstraining list .

25/01/2013 at 18:00
DD - given how you were feeling that's a brilliant result

Simon - yes back on the 20.xx from Chicago which I think gets in around 10am Friday.
25/01/2013 at 18:07

20 on the TM AA? Crazzzzeeeeeeeeeeee!

Well done Andy but I might have to support Novak now.....

DD - bloody well done for doing it while ill.  Great time too.  Shame you couldn't nail that pb but it must leave you feeling great all the same.  Have you got any other marathons planned this year?

Oompa - When I followed P&D I really struggled with the LT runs to begin with too.  I was happy with the lack of speedwork!   I don't blame the driver of the car.  Not their fault.

2old - doubles aren't really a part of my schedule but they will be featuring heavily from now on since I only have one dog.  I used to run a lot with Lola but didn't so much with the two of them because I couldn't manage them both on leads.  My morning runs this week have been  2.5 - 3 miles with the dog and done slowly, usually with an extra walked section over the field in the middle.  I'll be over 60 this week.   21 planned tomorrow on the coast since there's too much snow here.  Only risk is the moor will be blocked in the morning and I won't be able to get down.  If that's the case I'll move it to Sunday.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.