RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,861 to 25,880 of 37,092 messages
26/01/2013 at 16:16
DD - Northumberland Castles Marathon, 27 October....come on, you know you want to....
26/01/2013 at 16:20
DD- ouch...superDOMS. I know the feeling. Hope you get to put your feet up and get spoilt by MrsDD!
FRC- when is your 50m?
Spoons- take care of the hammies.
5m easy done today.
26/01/2013 at 16:34

Epic, epic, epic 21 miles on the coast this morning.  Went to escape the snow only to find even more snow.  What doesn't kill you......

Freemers - had intended the last 10 to the on the Castles course today but too much snow so had to keep off road.

26/01/2013 at 17:26

spoons- hope your hammy will be ok-  do you think the swims may.have contributed?

MinnI- brilliant run . I can feel your elation . No excuses allowed for me after that. enjoy your rest 

26/01/2013 at 17:27
Minni- jealous! The pics are stunning,
26/01/2013 at 17:57

Hmm...............Today's run didn't go quite to plan.  Got the train to Bath with a 17 mile run back to the car.  First part of the route flooded, but able to divert round and all seemed fine.  2 miles w-up, then 10 miles at MP, remarkably consistent for me, but then a complete collapse, no energy, pace fell off a cliff edge and decided the only way to deal with it was to loop back to round up Mr O4S, by now some distance back, and finish slowly with him.  Overall 16 miles at average 8:50 [including the 10 at MP] at which point my battery went on the Garmin so I can't be embarassed by the time it took to do the last 2 miles [ended up nearer 18 by the time I had collected 'Sir']. Still feeling a bit wobbly and queasy, which doesn't bode well for my endurance - which is normally the only aspect of running I don't have to worry about.

Going to ease off the speed work over the next few weeks and concentrate on endurance.

FRC:  I have been an active LDWA member for over 30 years, so was following the posts on their forum about the Hebden. Looked to see if a friend had managed to get to the start line and spotted that only one couple ran the 22 mile event [or at least only one couple with the same surname].  Poirot eat your heart out!

Flooding predicted down here next..........................

M.r Zuvai    pirate
26/01/2013 at 19:26

evening all, 

hope everyone is completely thawed out by the end of the weekend - im quite done with winter - could do with spring now! Having said that i did run in the most amazing storm last nigt -  the sea didnt have white horses - the wole sea was white - completely raging! i had to stop a few times just to take in the impresive power of it!!

first 20 mile plus run of the season for me today - ended up being a time on feet run, as the lady friend is training for a half for the first time, so my first 8 miles were at 11m/m, so the whole run ended up being 3hrs 25mins long  - good endurance building!!

well done everyone on some super running the last 2 weeks in dreadfull conditions - some serious resolve on display here! espcially well done for the long runs done on treadmills - you guys are seriously tough!!

O4S - stay safe this week with any floods - you've had terrible luck with the weather!

DD - congratulations on a super performance - you can be very proud of what you gave of yourself! hope the cider is delicious!

Minni - great pics, you've done some great running recently!

spoons - take care of that hammy! my hamstring is the one part of me that responds really well to icing 

26/01/2013 at 20:08

DD -  If you coming back to the south west - it's got to be Abingdon for an Autumn mara.

Minni -  21 miles in the snow is v impressive.

Zuvai -  Very good time on feet run.

Busy day for me up at 04;30 for work until 13:30 then 2 hour round trip to Bromsgrove to drop eldest off at boyfriends.  My plan called for 5 mile race aim for   sub 32min, there were no races nearby this weekend so headed out for 5 mile blast hoped for under 34 mins after recent parkrun outings. Good to be back on the roads now the ice has gone and managed 33:03 avg 6:36 which I was v happy with.

Oompa - Where are you getting the paces from, I'm following the 3:15 plan and a different option for the weekend was 10k race aim for sub 40.

Edited: 26/01/2013 at 20:19
26/01/2013 at 21:22

Zuvai - I love the sea when it's like that. Living next to the sea I'm lucky enough to of often see it like that. 

Scuba Trooper    pirate
26/01/2013 at 21:30

DD - amazing time given your illness, shame you didn't get an opportunity to show what all the great training could really have produced.

10 miles on the country roads near my parents yesterday which was lovely with the snow covered fields and a nice change of scene. Followed it up with 1:30hr in front of a film on the turbo this afternoon, I can't believe some of you manage nearly 3 hours on a treadmill.

Cut back week next week 25% of everything which will be welcome after 3 weeks of consistent training.

27/01/2013 at 09:19
Minni - Well done on your 21miler.

Mr Z - Wow, 3.5hrs on your feet is excellent.

O4S - Maybe you need a holiday, like a roundthe world bike trip

Barry - Nice 5miler.
I'm with you in the ABM ( anybody but Murray ) camp, come on Novak.

Stuck in work, so can only follow the news feeds on the web re the match.
Edited: 27/01/2013 at 09:31
27/01/2013 at 10:26

Hope your legs are feeling better today DD. It sounds like a bloody impressive outing in the circumstances.

Oompa there was a similar discussion last year around speedwork and P&D. I recall some people added in an extra interval session during the LT weeks. I'd have to let them say if it helped though. Personally I think it the LT sessions are tough so I wouldn't want an interval session in as well, especially if you're adding extra miles to the long runs (not sure if you are but a lot of people do on P&D).

Carrot it does have a pool, quite a nice one too but still not as good as the one KFC and I normally go to. The good thing is a gym will make me work on my core etc!

How's the Hamstring today Spoons?

Good to see so many people up to 20 miles already. Your run sounds amazing Minni.

Am I the only one who has an odd objection to indoor tennis? I think it brings up memories of wet breaks.

Final Jantastic run will be logged this evening, will probably be a wobbly one as I have a nice boozy Sunday roast planned first.

27/01/2013 at 11:12
Morning everyone
LR done. Just over 20 miles 8.18 mm. Fortunately the snow has gone but replaced by gale force wind and rain. Still starting at 7 means there's a day left yo recover. At one point the wind was so strong it slowed me down by 30 secs a mile and that was running down hill.
Weeble- I have a negative view of tens as playing it caused my set off my knee tendonitis. Lesson - don't start playing tennis during a taper!
MrZ- very long run , great marathon prep. I would die of boredom out that long but as an IM you must be used to it
o4S- did you fuel up before the run? Maybe you're right about the effects of speed work . Running in snowvetc saps energy too. Take it easy and recover.
ST- I need the cut back weeks and anyway that's when the benefits of the previous hard weeks accrue . I seem to use ski breaks as my cut backs at the moment.
Spoons- Simon and I have the coast near us but the sea is miles out. We have to go looking for it
A week on the wagon..feeling good. Saw Les Mis last night. Interesting that my run today was almost as long as the film. Really enjoyed it apart from bumping my car in the car park
27/01/2013 at 11:29

Blimey Barry that was fast!

Good 20m there 2old. Hope the car's no too badly damaged.

I saw Les Mis last night too.  Didn't cry as I did when I saw it on stage in the the West End and when a local Youth Theatre group did it.

Heading out for 4m now in gales.   Glad its not a 20.

27/01/2013 at 11:32

Gutted for you, DD. It's just unfair when illness hits at race time . Am still mighty impressed with your race time. Goes to show what could have happened without the bug ... 

Lot of great long runs banked: Minni, 2old, Mr. Z and a very swift 5 miler Barry.

17.5 easy offroad miles in sleet and snow for me. Race was cancelled. It's raining now and all the snow has turned to ice. Lethal!! Glad I managed some sort of run in this. Yaktrax rock .

Of course it means I have to do my 17 with 8 @ MP on Friday before work . But the snow will have gone by then. Heavy storms with 55 knots gusts and lots of rain predicted to hit us on Tuesday (day of the LT sesh!!). Have to make sure to pick a stretch of road with a tailwind

27/01/2013 at 12:44

Barry- that was a fast 5  - great run . pity it wasn't race conditions you`d have gone even faster

Minni- enjoy your run today

Chick- why is it your weather is always worse than  ours!

27/01/2013 at 12:49

7 degrees here. It rained all night. Snow's all melted.

Just ran 14 miles through the mud and floods. Just as slippery as the ice! It was horrible and I was shit. Everything ached and I didn't have the strength to lift my knees up. 

27/01/2013 at 12:50

dunno 2old ...   The summers are hotter and nicer than UK ones though 

27/01/2013 at 12:51

2old - I'm about 20 metres from the sea! If I stay round my GFs she's about 40 metres from the sea!

27/01/2013 at 13:10

Spoons - The sea that 2old is talking about near where I live, you could live on the beach and still couldn't see the sea when the tide goes out.  Mind you, it give's us plenty of beach to run on, as long as the quicksand doesn't get you.

Some more nice Lsr's being banked by the team.

2old - Hope the car's ok, I presume you drove of before anyone saw you

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.