RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,881 to 25,900 of 37,511 messages
27/01/2013 at 17:19
Minni - 3.27.52 at VLM last year. I'm glad that I've passed the tests... If only I knew what they were??? I'll fill in the details on TM spreadsheet.
27/01/2013 at 17:33
I could tell you Oompa but then I'd have to kill you.

I went from 3:28 to 3:20 and you've G??tterd??mmerung speed than me so hopefully sub 3:15 will be yours.

AA - cracking run there. 8m at MP at this stage is great. How did it feel? I've heard Nell's become a bit of a bloater and has gone off the boil slightly....

Finished the week on 61 miles from 9 runs.
27/01/2013 at 17:34
Wtf? That should have said 'you've got more speed than me' !
27/01/2013 at 17:45
Minni - 9 runs is awesome. You've had a really tough week and its a great de stress. Hope you're feeling a bit better now a few days on. My run today felt the best mp run I've done. But I'm still not putting them into long runs yet. Dunno when to start that...???
27/01/2013 at 17:47
Minni wrote (see)
I could tell you Oompa but then I'd have to kill you.

I went from 3:28 to 3:20 and you've G??tterd??mmerung speed than me so hopefully sub 3:15 will be yours.

Minni - Can I have some of that G-terd speed, was that the secret to a sub 3:30 mara

Edited: 27/01/2013 at 17:48
27/01/2013 at 18:33

Alright all. 18 done today along the river Lea to Broxborne wit blustery strong winds - but in the sun at least. But I can't say it was enjoyable. In fact I was cursing marathon training for the last 4 miles.  But I'm on schedule and taming the demons. Don't know why some of you have the long run as you favourite workout. Give me intervals on the track anyday!

DD - sorry to hear things didn't go quite to plan - I suppose it is a reason to have a backup marathon in the bag for a month later and sit out the race if you are ill. Am thinking about siging up for Milton Keynes again for that very reason.

27/01/2013 at 18:41
AA - yes feeling better now but just need to keep busy. I think I start putting MP into longer runs later in Feb. I'm going from memory here (so likely be completely wrong) but I think last year I got a few 20s in then cut back to a couple of 18s with MP before stepping back up to 20+.

My long runs this week and last have been really slow because of the conditions: last week 17 in 3 hrs, yesterday 21.30 in 3:12, but I'm still quite happy because I know there's still plenty of time to get the faster ones done and they must have been good for endurance. Yesterday was unfuelled too but made my mate stop at the first shop on the way home for a marsbar. It didn't even touch the sides!!
27/01/2013 at 22:01

2old/Chick/Spoons/Red/Ant -  Good runs in difficult conditions.

Oompa - Nice TM session in the heat. Learn to embrace the joy of treadmill running.

AA -  Very good MP run.

Minni -  MP is a  no brainer for me, based on last autumn's races and current form it's  7:20  for me, has been for the last few, hopefully this time.

Dubai Dave    pirate
28/01/2013 at 05:40

Morning Folks

Still sick, still have DOMS. Finishing that one took a lot out of me, so will swim at lunch

28/01/2013 at 07:01
Some brilliant long runs over the weekend - good to see so many 20+ runs this early in the year

My total mileage for the weekend was 2 Woke up Saturday feeling like a cold was coming on, which probably explained why Friday's run felt so hard. Anyway, for Jansatic I thought I'd better just try a few miles - got a mile down the road, feeling awful so ran the mile back home. By the early evening I was feeling really ropey so went to bed and hoped it would get better. Couldn't really sleep as I got so bunged up and so stayed in bed most of Sunday just dozing. OH threatened to confiscate my orthotics if I even mentioed the idea of a run...so that put paid to my LSR. Luckily I was cutting back to 15 so it's not a huge deal missing it. I still feel terrible today - to be honest I'd be staying in bed if it wasn't for the Chicago trip later.

With any luck I'll shake this off and can get some miles in while I'm away. Next weekend's LSR was meant to be 21 but I might cut that down to more like 17 or 18 depending on how the week goes.

I'd like to target 7.30-7.40 for my MP, which would be sub 3.20. If that goes well then I can hopefully build on that for a sub 3.15 attempt in the autumn. But it's a big "if" !
28/01/2013 at 08:05

Well done all braving the elements and even more well done those who did epic runs on the DM

Freemers: hope you feel better soon. Having to fly with a bunged up nose is horrid (cue epic headaches). Hope you have something to help with the congestion.

Love reading about target marathon paces . I train by HR so as long as I'm in the right zone I'll be ok. It means a lot of slow & shit running at the beginning of the campaign but if this one goes like the last one did then things will fall into place by April and I should end up with MP that gets me a sub 3:25.

Minni: Great mileage . You beat me by 1 mile - racked up 60 last week

28/01/2013 at 08:57

Have read back properly

DD - really well done on seeing it through to the end. I had exactly the same happen to me at VLM last year and it really isn't pretty. Not surprised you're still feeling it today, it took me about three weeks to get back to normal. So 3.28 is a damn fine effort in the circumstances.

Barry - nice 5M, sounds like you're broadly on track which is good

Lots of very good LSRs from everyone this weekend, all in trying conditions either outside or in trying conditions on the TM!

Becs - fingers crossed your physio has diagnosed it and the strengthening exercises sort it out for you

2Old - I won't mention the football... if it's any consolation, my team won for the first time in 2013 this weekend, but we're still rock bottom.

Freemers - fingers crossed you've got most of it out of your system ahead of Chicago. Agree with Chick, a long flight when feeling ropey really isn't much fun.

Minni - on the MP front, it's going to be a case of wait and see for me. My heart wants 8.00s, but my head says I'm going to be lucky for 8.30s given how long I've been out. I'll see where I am in a couple of week's time and start putting in some quicker stuff. No idea what form that will take as yet, but guessing probably try to do some tempo runs before I go for intervals.I do have the bonus of an extra two weeks as MK isn't until May 6th but my main priority is to get to the start line fit and healthy as I just want to be able to enjoy it.  

28/01/2013 at 10:22

DD - not surprised you're still recovering after that effort. Take it easy.

Freemers - hope you recover soon. not nice being ill but well done for resting - its usually the OHs that make us see sense hey!

Golden session (as Shaggy would say) this morning, I prefer killer session though! 8x800s, @6:26 pace aka 15kph. Glad thats done.

28/01/2013 at 10:27

AA - you're right....OH said I looked like death yesterday morning and he knew I'd probably be stupid enough to try a run! He said he'd hide my Garmin as well as the orthotics!  Very quick 800s there - I've never yet put the TM up to 15kph...I think I'd fall off the back

2Old - the football could have been worse....you could be a Norwich supporter

M.r Zuvai    pirate
28/01/2013 at 10:42

Freemers - i hope you feel better soon! it rubbish being ill  

AA - great intervals - especially first thing on a Monday morning!

DD - i love that you're straight back in the pool - do you ever rest?!

i woke up with morning with DOMS!! not from the long run but from a 30 mile cycle in the sun yesterday!! not sure what thats about! Probably the compounding effort of the long run the day before then a cycle! A gentle cycle and swim this morning appears to have eased it nicely!

RE marathon pace - for MP runs i base it on my PB, but for the shorter intervals and LT runs i calc them on my target MP - i'm comfortable running the faster shorter stuff - terrible at the whole conversion thing (man excuse!)

28/01/2013 at 10:47

Morning all

DD-sorry to see you are still sick-maybe total rest for a week would be best? All I know is that at my age a full on marathon totally drains me physically and mentally .Still, a stretch in the pool in the sunshine can have rejuvinating effects.

Free-best to listen to the body and the OH and rest.Well done getting Jantastic done

Barry-Im pretty confident youll do the next one in 7.20. Im toying with the idea of 7.10 which is only?? a few seconds off my last race pace of 7.14. Trouble is I rarely run that pace whilst training and dont know how I did the last one at that pace so I assume it was a fluke never to be repeated.Also I cant really run to a set pace anyway.

Ant-nice 18 miler.Nearly one month down and once we are into February we can see the taper over the March horizon

Red-thanks for not mentioning the footballHope they donate their wages to charity.

Minni-are you doing a LR a week ? I tend to do one every 10 days until March when I do one a week but if Im doing a HM race I'll top it up to a 20 with a warm up run. My P&D schedule reduces the length of some LRs in March but requires some MP in some . I dont have the confidence to follow that and try to stick to getting them to 20-21 if I can. Come to think of it-I struggled to do that for the Liverpool marathon due to injury and my last 4 LRs for that were 19,20.5,16.3 and 16 in the month before the race so maybe there is something in reducing the length then?

Chick=Minni- great mileage and Minni-9 runs? either your washing machine never stops or you reuse your gear which is not something to discuss in detail 73 miles in 6 runs  after 4 days skiing and one rest day for me last week.Makes up for only 33 miles the week before when I went skiing. Think it will be around 65 this week all being well.

Dubai Dave    pirate
28/01/2013 at 11:18

2old: Rest? I have an Olympic Tri on Friday and another the following Friday.

2K swim set done,1st time in the pool for 2.5 weeks and thought my arms might drop off, loosened up the DOMS though!

Lots of LSR going on.

AA: Nice intervals, what was the recovery?

Freemers: Hope the lurgy passes soon.

Thought my team (Chelsea) were rubbish until I watched the Liverpool game, they can have Rafa back as well.

28/01/2013 at 11:38

DD-so thats your way to rest-what can I sayNo thanks to RAFA, maybe Swansea will have Rogers back

Mr Z- its tough mixing lots of running with the other disciplines.

Free-how much worse? Simon hasnt even commented so he must be distraught

AA-fast intervals -what a way to start the week

I suppose its a recovery run for me today---I hate them!!

28/01/2013 at 12:45

Get well soon Freemers

I have an easy 40 minutes tonight

28/01/2013 at 13:03

Great runs by Minni, Mr Z, 2old, AA, Ant P, and all the treadmill runners.

Barry - speedy 5 miler.

O4S Hope you're feeling recovered. and stalking me ?! Remember I dont qualify as a toyboy so no checking my date of birth.

DD - you have triathlons booked? hope the flu/ bug has cleared, be safe, ditto Freemers. no shame in bailing on one of the events?

2old, Oldham's ground is very tough, freezing cold, even a slight slope on pitch I think. Always thought it was a hard draw.

Brol, The ultra is this Saturday Feb 2nd Thames Trot 50. Ran fine yesterday to gym & circuit but legs now feel tight after knee the other day... not sure if just DOMS or getting some ITB problems or just me getting nervous. Possibly the later.

Dont know if anyone lives near the route from Oxford Iffley through Abingdon to Henley, wondered what the flooding is like, if any? Oh, and if you're in the vicinity, a cheer and a high five might lift my spirits on Saturday.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.