RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,881 to 25,900 of 36,971 messages
27/01/2013 at 13:20
Spoons - I don't need to mention my run this morning as you've summed it up perfectly for me as I did an exact replica of yours! First 5M were into a gale force headwind on flooded trails & as hard as anything I've done just to keep to 9.30 min miles. Was slow, horrible & shit!

Will read back on everything tomorrow - I'm in charge of little Redders all weekend (bar run) because I'm away next weekend. No chance of legs seizing up as she's keeping me on my toes...
27/01/2013 at 13:24
Barry - Great 5 miler. ???
I'm using the paces from RW's sub 3.15 Garmin ready VLM programme which I followed last year albeit the sub 3.30 paces, but I'm (trying) to follow P & D up to 55 18-week schedule.???

Weeble - As mentioned I'm really trying to follow the P & D programme but I have already modified it somewhat to include an extra interval session as I just feel heavy-legged and one-paced the whole time.???

First snow, then ice, then driving rain and wind, what next... Pestilence? Just back from 12 miles on the dm! I absolutely bloody HATE the things!??? Arrived at gym and politely asked the staff if they could turn the temp down, which they duly did. Then the sun came out and it got soooo hot that despite asking twice more if temp could go any lower (apparently not), I had to stop after 15k and change dm to one closer to the a/c, but was still too hot! Bah humbug!!!

Rant over and congrats to all who braved the elements today.
27/01/2013 at 13:25

Simon- as I was reversing out and hit the other car and it blocked me in that was not an option not that I'd do that anyway . Damage only minor paint scratches--- and whiplash no doubt . Quicksand is great for Sprint training .

Spoons- I love beaches and the sea .- couldn't live in the middle of a country away from the coast.  Nice 14 miler.

27/01/2013 at 13:26
Why are my emoji a showing as question marks? Damned iPhone!

Second rant over!
27/01/2013 at 13:31

Red- great run in awful conditions . I had to run through a pond across the road in the last mile . Decided to do that rather than double back and add three miles to my run . 

Oomp- don't worry about the DM experience it all counts . 

27/01/2013 at 13:49

I see Murray blew it . can't say I'm didisappointed . Hope the reds do better later.

27/01/2013 at 13:53

Hi gang!

Think I've managed to read back through - loads of epic runs being completed in the snow/rain and wind!

DD - sorry to read that illness derailed your marathon, but what an awesome effort and great result!

AA - great to get that first 20 out of the way - and on the treadmill, you are hardcore

O4S - you've had such bad luck with the weather interupting your runs recently - hope the flooding stays away!

Barry - super fast 5 miler, well done!

Mr Z - awesome time on feet run.

Ventured out on 1 run mid week, 4 miles, the paths were all frozen so ended up running in the road and dodging cars, not much fun, so didn't venture out again! Been to spin twice though, this morning the bionic woman had us doing seated climbs and standing sprints, glutes are definitely getting stronger with all the high gear climbs

27/01/2013 at 14:14

So which way are people choosing their training MPs?  Using current pbs to judge it or basing it on the time you want to achieve in the marathon?

OOmpa - sorry because I know I've asked you this before but I keep forgetting.  What is your marathon pb?  I've given you a column on the Team Minni PB Sheet (you can also take this as confirmation you are now a fully fledged member of the team having passed all the tests ) then I don't need to keep asking!

I used to try to train to the time I wanted to do in a race and always failed but now I train to current fitness and have achieved pbs from that.   I remember Nell saying she wanted sub 3 and just trained to those paces.  She did achieve it albeit with a bit positive split.

27/01/2013 at 14:25

DD, really well done for continuing when under the weather and still getting such an awesome time, and at the same time such a shame that you didn't get to see what you could have done as you were flying in your training.

Some great long runs being banked including in the snow and on the dreadmill.

I was struggling to get the training in at the start of this week, but I've done better over the last few days to get in some cycling.

At long last I made it to a physio today. Have some strengthening exercises to do and a new stretch to add to my repertoire. Problems seem to be coming from my weak ankles, although I've also got weak glutes and tight calves. Feeling positive that I should be able to get back up and running again, although the target is likely to be short distances this year.

27/01/2013 at 15:01

Minni- 're MP ..I suppose the starting point for me is my last marathon and then look at how I'm running in March to decide what pace to try in the race itself with the benefits of taper. I will probably try one tempo a week from next month at the pace I would ideally like to run at and add a few miles each week to the taper. if I find that too difficult to maintain I will drop the pace . I'll probably do this on the TM.  Probably more scientific ways of doing it but that's what I plan unless someone suggests a better way

Becsa- good to see you back . 

27/01/2013 at 15:44
DD - what a real shame. The marathon is so cruel and all that training you've done is desperately disappointing when in the taper you get so ill. You deserve real credit just for finishing.

Barry - amazingly quick run there.

Spoons - sounds tough run but at least you did it.

Oompa - nothing worse than a hot gym to train in. Well done for sticking it out.

Minni - I am totally guessing with my mp as I would be happy with 7:40s so have been using that. Usually try and fail so thought I would do a Nell!
I did my mp run today. 9 with 8@mp:
8:04,7:36,7:18,7:52,7:31,7:27,7:28,7:43,7:33. Paces a bit all over the pace because of the wind and hills! Was lovely running outside though

48 miles for the week.
27/01/2013 at 16:28

AA- very nice MP average overall run and total for the week . Another week begins ...

27/01/2013 at 17:19
Minni - 3.27.52 at VLM last year. I'm glad that I've passed the tests... If only I knew what they were??? I'll fill in the details on TM spreadsheet.
27/01/2013 at 17:33
I could tell you Oompa but then I'd have to kill you.

I went from 3:28 to 3:20 and you've G??tterd??mmerung speed than me so hopefully sub 3:15 will be yours.

AA - cracking run there. 8m at MP at this stage is great. How did it feel? I've heard Nell's become a bit of a bloater and has gone off the boil slightly....

Finished the week on 61 miles from 9 runs.
27/01/2013 at 17:34
Wtf? That should have said 'you've got more speed than me' !
27/01/2013 at 17:45
Minni - 9 runs is awesome. You've had a really tough week and its a great de stress. Hope you're feeling a bit better now a few days on. My run today felt the best mp run I've done. But I'm still not putting them into long runs yet. Dunno when to start that...???
27/01/2013 at 17:47
Minni wrote (see)
I could tell you Oompa but then I'd have to kill you.

I went from 3:28 to 3:20 and you've G??tterd??mmerung speed than me so hopefully sub 3:15 will be yours.

Minni - Can I have some of that G-terd speed, was that the secret to a sub 3:30 mara

Edited: 27/01/2013 at 17:48
27/01/2013 at 18:33

Alright all. 18 done today along the river Lea to Broxborne wit blustery strong winds - but in the sun at least. But I can't say it was enjoyable. In fact I was cursing marathon training for the last 4 miles.  But I'm on schedule and taming the demons. Don't know why some of you have the long run as you favourite workout. Give me intervals on the track anyday!

DD - sorry to hear things didn't go quite to plan - I suppose it is a reason to have a backup marathon in the bag for a month later and sit out the race if you are ill. Am thinking about siging up for Milton Keynes again for that very reason.

27/01/2013 at 18:41
AA - yes feeling better now but just need to keep busy. I think I start putting MP into longer runs later in Feb. I'm going from memory here (so likely be completely wrong) but I think last year I got a few 20s in then cut back to a couple of 18s with MP before stepping back up to 20+.

My long runs this week and last have been really slow because of the conditions: last week 17 in 3 hrs, yesterday 21.30 in 3:12, but I'm still quite happy because I know there's still plenty of time to get the faster ones done and they must have been good for endurance. Yesterday was unfuelled too but made my mate stop at the first shop on the way home for a marsbar. It didn't even touch the sides!!
27/01/2013 at 22:01

2old/Chick/Spoons/Red/Ant -  Good runs in difficult conditions.

Oompa - Nice TM session in the heat. Learn to embrace the joy of treadmill running.

AA -  Very good MP run.

Minni -  MP is a  no brainer for me, based on last autumn's races and current form it's  7:20  for me, has been for the last few, hopefully this time.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.