RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,901 to 25,920 of 37,213 messages
28/01/2013 at 13:20

Freemers - hope you feel better soon.  The long flight probably won't help but you might get some extra sleep?  Loving your marathon targets.  I didn't get to run any of the marathon course on Sunday because of the snow but did drive the last couple of miles - there is a big hill within the last mile but then a downhill to follow.  

2old - yes a long run every week.  I do that anyway to be honest.  I am a minger and will wear dirty kit for my early morning runs!  There's nobody about and the dog doesn't mind the smell!!

AA - 8 x 800   nuff said.

28/01/2013 at 14:32

FRC-we always look forward to others races here -possibly more than our own-and as an ultra is something outside most normal peoples experience its particularly interesting .Weather doesnt look good but Im sure youll do it justice. Henley is on the Thames so that will be a challenge if off road.What is your target? Is it a mere 50k or 50 miles? Hope the niggle goes but youll run through it anyway. Not sure it was the pitch that was to blame for yestrdays disaster ,more like a lack of steel and committment when faced by giants.

Minni-at least not washing kit is good for the environment if not your social life

Easy 13k done

28/01/2013 at 15:00

FRC - I entered that a few years ago but ended up on an intesive course most weekends through Nov and Dec so couldn't do it. I will keep eye out on local stuff for Thames flooding. Purley went a few weeks ago, but so far think things are ok. Keep eye out on Caversham as well, thats pretty prone.

28/01/2013 at 15:04
Minni - ideally I'd stay awake on the flight so I can minimise the jetlag, but I am already feeling sleepy so I don't think that's going to happen! Hmmm - hill in the last mile doesn't sound nice but hopefully it's a short one?

FRC - good luck with the ultra...hope the knee pain isn't anything to worry about.

I am all dosed up on sudafed decongestant which hopefully will do the trick and drinking lots of water. The weather forecast in Chicago is weird - ranging from +15 degrees tomorrow to -8 degrees Thursday. That's some fluctation!
28/01/2013 at 15:08
AA - have you entered Northumberland Castles yet? BTW it would just be you and Minni on the F40 train....I have a birthday before then that pushes me up an age group
28/01/2013 at 15:20

Freemers - its a big longer than I had visualised.  I think it'll be a case of banking some time early on to compensate for it.   At least there'll be less than a mile to go from the top though.    And the wind will be behind us.

28/01/2013 at 15:39
Freemers - Have a good trip, and hope you feel better.

DD - I was hoping Chelsea might take some more of our rejects. You don't even have to pay 50 million this time! Hehe

FRC - I hope it's just tapir madness, and nothing serious, good luck for Saturday.
28/01/2013 at 16:00

2old -  You are too modest , sub 3:10 is no fluke.

AA -  Very speedy reps.

FRC - Take it easy with your knee,  have you much running planned for the rest of the week or saving yourself for the 50 miles on Sat. Don't want to put a downer on your prep but it's forecast wet and windy down here for the rest of the week.

Night shift for me this week, so 4 miles slow in last night and 8 miles home this morning,  was supposed to be 5 miles fartlek in the middle but pavements were very icy so hard going.

28/01/2013 at 16:15

Barry-it felt like it- Did I read that you are doing Abingdon? Is it open for registration yet? Am I too late? Not sure what to do in the Autumn but if I dont sign up I wont have any options anyway. Good running in the ice-when will this crappy weather end?Anyway just think how easy those LRs will be when it does.

Simon-not sure Chelsea want that many

Minni-just seen your photos-bleak and isolated but beautiful country and beach. Think youll need to practise running in busy streets to avoid being overwhelmed by the people at VLM

28/01/2013 at 17:26

Minni - Thanks for the good advice re training to current fitness levels (i'm a bit crap at reading this forum back as it moves soooo fast!) Day off today but tomorrow is LT day i think, so will put it into practice.

Team Minni pb sheet duly updated.

Don't get me started on football... . Chelsea fan for 36 years (my dad took me to the benches at the Bridge against West Ham and couldn't understand why a 6 year old was scared as various punch-ups ensued... he's since done the same with Master Oompa, but without the aggro!), but i'm actually beginning to miss the old days when we were shit, and didn't have an ego-maniac owner (Batesy excepted) who continually meddled with his latest toy!!! 

28/01/2013 at 17:34
Spoons. wrote (see)

I had no idea there was so much to hedgerows. Fascinating what you learn on the Internet!

And what a fab way to spend the weekend - am very proud of my freshly laid hedge. 

Nole and Andy had a great match, love watching those guys play.  Can't grudge Djoc the win - roll on the next match.

Minni - sounds like a great snowy 21M, good 20+ milers banked Zuvai, 2old

O4S - your energy crash sounds similar to how I felt with anaemia - do you know what your iron levels are like?  Have you heard anything back from your tests yet?

Speedy 5M Barry

Great that you've been banking consistent weeks Scuba - must feel good

Chick - shame the race got canned, wanted to see how speedy you are!

becs - positive news from the physio

AA - nice 800's

FRC - exciting race this coming weekend - have you done anything that long before? 

Minni - my training paces for speed and tempo are based on my 5k time, I'm basing MP on 3:30 pace right now as thats what I'm chasing.  Closer to VLM I'll refine my target time based on HM performance

Speedwork today as the track has thawed - 5x1000m session, target 3.59 per rep.  Clocked 3.57, 3.59, 4.02, 4.01, 4.04.  Progression was the wrong way  - must hurt myself more next time!  I've a long term goal of a sub 20 5k - can't even do that with 400m rests right now! 

Did 10M in total with wu and cd - as I'm only running 3 times a week I'm trying to make all my runs up to at least 10M now to get me used to running further.

Heading to Canada tomorrow for 3 weeks ski touring - I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to get my runs in, or how I'm going to log them while I'm camping out, but I'm going to damn well make sure I do somehow for Jantastic! 

28/01/2013 at 17:48

On the offchance this interests any of you, applications for Glasgow 2014 commonwealth games volunteers (like being a London 2012 Gamesmaker) are open right now - you can apply up until the end of feb.  They are asking for a committment of at least 8 days, you'll need to attend interview and training and have your own accommodation. 

More info here if you are interested: http://volunteering.glasgow2014.com/ 

28/01/2013 at 17:53
KFC - hope you have fun in Canada. And yes, make sure you get those runs logged!! Are you using the Northumberland half as your marker or do you have another one?
28/01/2013 at 18:37

Not sure yet - I'm thinking of pacing my friend to her first sub 2 at Northumberland and racing Alloa a week later, but havent entered Alloa yet.  I'm also thinking about cycling to both from London, going to think more about all of that when I'm back from Canada! 

28/01/2013 at 19:45
You're thinking about cycling from London to Newcastle and back, then up to Alloa and back, with only a week apart? How long would each journey take you? Crazeeee!
28/01/2013 at 20:13

Haha - not crazy enough to go back to London, I'd just keep drifting north.  Depending on my route, where I stop, how much beer my hosts feed me, and when I get my jantastic runs in ; I reckon it'll be about 4/5 days to newcastle then 3 to central scotland.  Good f*rman cross training I reckon!

28/01/2013 at 20:29

2old -   No Abingdon for me this year, I am doing Berlin, but I have done Abo for the last four years and recommend it. apart from being close to me it is a really well organised race with a flat course.   Entry opens 1 Feb, get in quick to avoid disappointment.

Kfc  -   Nothing wrong with those 1k reps.

Edited: 28/01/2013 at 20:31
28/01/2013 at 21:54
Redders, what the physio said made sense and I feel better for having something to do other than rest, so at this stage I think that's about as much as I can ask for. Time will show the rest.

Freemers, hope the flight isn't too bad and you get some time to enjoy Chicago.

KFC, enjoy Canada.
28/01/2013 at 22:12

Evening - easy run for me tonight. 

KFC - have fun in Canada. Are you cycling there?

29/01/2013 at 00:22

Nah spoons, swimming...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.