RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Minni v Dubai Dave

25,981 to 26,000 of 37,584 messages
30/01/2013 at 12:11

Spoons -   What on earth is going on?  Is all the core work helping or is it too early to tell?

I've not had a drink for 8 days now.   Not intended - just don't fancy it.   Pleased I opted for the longer but slower run last night since I feel a million times better today. 

30/01/2013 at 12:31

22 days off the booze  . That norovirus has a lot to answer for. I haven't fancied a drink since I got ill. And before that was clinging onto the wagon for dear life. Enjoy your vino, Ant

Well done y'all braving the elements. 12 miles for me this morning in high winds and rain but it was WARM (9 degrees). TBH, I don't really mind the wind and rain. I run much much better in this than with all the snow, ice and the minus temperatures around.

Oompa: great run

Freemers: queuing for a treadie at 4am is nuts . Must be marathon season in the States too ...

M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

intervals for me this evening, in some serious weather - see if you can guess which way the wind was blowing..

2m WU , 10 * 400  , 2m CD

1:43, 1:19, 1:35, 1:18, 1:40, 1:18, 1:45, 1:20, 1:45, 1:15 

reasonably consistent in each direction and a real battle of the mind - pleased to complete that

nice work, Mr. Z.

M.r Zuvai wrote (see)
  i had erm, something of an accident in the CD home this evening  on the 2 miles home i passed 3 public toilets all 3 of them were locked!! 

you can call me paula 

what can you do when the toilets are locked . I have no toilets on my usual route but had to use the bushes a few times in the past .

30/01/2013 at 12:42

Mr Z- think the wind is 50mph here

Ant-I rest too zzzzzzzzzzz...4 weeks ,thats good going Im up to 9days but nearly cracked last night. Nice interval pace

Chick -its warm here too 8c -good 12 miler in those conditions.

Oomph- wasnt every Leeds game like that then?. It was the long throw I remember most. Enjoy the recovery run if thats ever possible

30/01/2013 at 12:50

Chick- nice 12 miler

Does anyone know much about carbo loading? I never paid much attention to it but Ruth's advice on Ady's thread made me think that maybe it's worth looking into it a bit more for the next mara attempt.

I understand that your normal intake of carbs should be 5-7g/ kg of body weight and during the last 2-3 days it should be increased to 8-10g/ kg of body weight. Are we talking here about increasing the total number of calories or just changing the proportion of where the calories come from (more of them coming from carbs). I find it all very confusing.

30/01/2013 at 13:20
I find it confusing too Brolish but would like to know more. I remember Sarah saying that Ruth had said things like apples don't count because there's so much water in them.
30/01/2013 at 14:47

Zuvai -   Decent reps in the wind. At the least your pit stop was after the reps.

Oompa -  Good running, amazing sometimes running against the elements pisses us off other times its invigorating.

Chick -  Nice 12 miler, certainly feeling warmer out there.

Overnight double for me, just under 10 slow in the wind/rain on the way to work last night and coming home this morning in the wind(the only wet was my sweat) plan called for 1 WU 3 steady in 24 mins 3 fast in 20mins(yeah right) 1 WD.  Managed the 3 steady OK but the 3 fast were hard work in the wind and came out at 20:50.  That's me finished for Jan at 198 miles.

Edited: 30/01/2013 at 14:48
30/01/2013 at 15:26

Barry-another tough bit of running, good stuff. Those 3 were fast.All this running in wind rain snow mud and water is toughening us all up. Think how much stronger we will all be when that balmy spring arrives--if it ever does.. Not tempted to do 2 more for the month?Still another day to go

Minni-I struggle with the idea of carb loading by the gram relative to own body weight. I go on the basis that in Jan and Feb I need a bit more to eat to  deal with the weather ,increasing mileage and  intensity and then I cut down in March onwards to lose a bit of any excess weight though I might start this process a bit earlier this time around.I like my food..

30/01/2013 at 16:01

Greco di Tufo followed by Barolo this lunchtime. Now just need to get my head together for a run in a couple of hours 

Dubai Dave    pirate
30/01/2013 at 16:02
2old: rest before the Oly? Why? I've only just started Tri training again, it will only be a training race anyway.

I read an article where they showed the Chelsea - Leeds final to a modern ref who said he would have red carded 18 players! Proper football.
30/01/2013 at 16:03

Mr Z – did your legs end up looking like your profile pic after your pit stop?

O4S – I think you win the prize of best thread holiday there, that’ll be absolutely amazing.

Bro – I’m not sure I can help on carb loading strategy as mine isn’t very sophisticated. It just involves shoving as much pasta as I can get down my neck the night before.

I decided to push myself this morning so turned my 7M into 1 slow, then as quick as I could go and hold on. Pacing was all over the place but I managed three 7’s and three 8’s and despite them wildly fluctuating with hills and wind, I ended up with a 7.53 average. Way off where I was, but given that was my first attempt at speed since July 31st it’s hardly surprising…

Barry – well done on your 198 miles. After the princely sum of 13 in Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec combined, I’ll have clocked up 147 in Jan provided tomorrow’s 10 go to plan. Very, very happy with that and should constitute a decent base to kick on from there.  

Oh, and one other piece of news. I spent this morning at the hospital and fingers crossed Little Redders should be receiving a brother/sister in the summer…

30/01/2013 at 16:11

Red- woohooo!!!! Congrats

30/01/2013 at 16:22

Congratulations Redwood

30/01/2013 at 16:27

So that is going to be even more 9a runs Redders .....................

I presume you knew what you were doing so congratulations are in order??

DD:  BA is a past master in not listening, so when he complains at a later date I simply say that I told him at the time and he should have said something then. He has absolutely no idea whether I did or not and I can lie very convincingly

2old:  my holdiay blogs are famous [or should that be infamous] - I'll make sure you know the link.  BA has only just got round to reading last year's and was subsequently heard muttering about divorce..........

30/01/2013 at 17:10

O4S - I'm not sure Mrs R has ever thought that 'I know what I'm doing' in that department! 

30/01/2013 at 18:02
Red- that's great news ....
O4S- looking forward to seeing the blog. What an adventure. I know it would be divorce if I suggested such a thing
DD- rest is for wimps! Didn't you watch it live? You were around then? Leeds would have finished every game 8-9 men down if played and refereed today's standards.

Anyone seen this re VLmarathon runner -

Claire Squires, 30, suffered a cardiac arrest and collapsed in Birdcage Walk near Buckingham Palace, a few hundred metres from the finish line.
An inquest into her death heard that she had purchased a popular powder supplement called Jack3d which contained DMAA (dimethylamine), a drug that has similar properties toamphetamines and is said to boost energy, concentration and metabolism.
Her boyfriend, Simon van Herrewege, told Southwark Coroner's Court that she bought it online and mixed it with liquid in her water bottle as she was keen to beat her personal best race time.
"It is a bit like caffeine," he said

My worry is that the gels I use contain caffeine. Should I stop using them ?
Edited: 30/01/2013 at 18:07
30/01/2013 at 18:19
Redwood - congrats!

Just saw on the news about Claire Squires - they've now removed products containing DMA from sale. No idea 2old about caffeine.....
30/01/2013 at 18:35

2old - surely "a bit like caffeine" isn't actually caffeine?  I wouldn't worry - hundreds of people use gels like that and I don't think any deaths have been attributed to them.

Red - brilliant news!

The reason I was confined to the TM yesterday was that the sales event I was at was outside Chicago in some suburb or other - no idea of where really and didn't want to get lost! But now I have moved downtown for the remainder of my trip, so this morning I took the opportunity for a run out by the lake.  I ran naked - out for about 1.45, which did include some stops so I reckon about 11 miles probably. Freezing cold and a real contrast from when I was here last summer. In fact I have photo evidence:

Chicago in late June

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/152897/gallery/-1182094597.jpg?width=350

Chicago in late January

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/152897/gallery/-135268712.jpg?width=350

I managed to take these from more or less the same spot. Parts of the lake by the shore were solid ice today. In June it was close to 40 degrees on one of the days I was there.  Tomorrow the forecast is -12.

30/01/2013 at 21:00
Free- ok I won't worry. Wow those pics show Chicago in all its glory. They take me back. Make sure you go up the John Hancock Tower and see the view from the restaurant. Great place to run and it beats the TM any day
Did my MLR on the TM. Just under 15 miles at7.53 mm pace. Bottled out of running in that gale.
30/01/2013 at 21:13
Free- nice pics, hope you're having a good time.
2Old- I don't think you can compare amphetamines to caffeine so I wouldn't worry about it. I wonder if she had any idea what she was taking. I understand that the supplement was legal at the time but if I wanted to use something that wasn't well known and recommended and I could only get it online I think the alarm bells would be ringing. Especially if I knew I had irregular heart beat which she was aware of. What a tragedy.
I'm having a rather crap week. Every run feels like hard work and the weather is not helping. Not looking forward to the HM.
30/01/2013 at 21:24
Perhaps she didn't know it wasn't well known. I remember when I first started hearing about different kinds of gels and drinks I didn't have had a clue. You just really go on something recommended to you.

I live on caffeine and haven't died yet.

I did a tempo in the wind tonight. I'd still take that over a TM any day. The 4 miles @ MP 7:24 avg felt comfortable even in the wind.

Freemers - sounds like you're feeling better. Looks a lovely place to run.

Redders - congratulations! Nice to see the cross training has brought a positive result!

Kev was expecting to be a daddy in January. Hope he lets us know when.

Brolish - still recovering from the hols? Maybe you need a day of rest.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.